Quit Job to go to Cosmetology School?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 157)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Dot in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

Hi,

I'm 27 years old, and currently work a boring desk job. I make a decent salary, which holds me back from leaving. I have an MBA and BS in Finance, and run a part time event planning business.

Ever since I realized just how boring offices are, I've wanted to go to cosmetology school. I always thought it would fun to run a salon.

However, I'm also considering just getting a makeup artist certification, which I can use in conjunction with event planning.

So would it be stupid at this point in the game to quit my job and go to cosmetology school? I'm nervous about having an income, and adding further to student loans (at $50k now). Has anyone else done this?

I appreciate all feedback!! Thank you ahead of time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

RJ in Moody A F B, Georgia

69 months ago

I work at a desk right now and also going to Cosmetology school. I can tell you from the class is that i have been enjoying it every step of the way and can't wait to get into a salon. Its so much fun it doesn't even feel like work. I wouldn't work about income to much. I have spoke with several Cosmetologist and my teachers and from what they all say the pay is well worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lerie in Fort Worth, Texas

69 months ago

I am doing the same thing. I am 27, currently a Event Planner, but I am planning on going to cosmo school next year. I also want to have a business that combines the cosmo and event planning.

I say go for it. I am a single mom, but I am going to do what makes me happy. I have a degree, but that's not what makes me happy. You should never sacrifice happiness. Not everyone experience doing what they love.

When I turn 50, I don’t want to regret not doing what I love.

Good luck to you ALL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mickeys in Poway, California

68 months ago

I quit the financial business to be a hairstylist and its the best decision i ever made. i was an admin assistant for 12 years and felt like i needed something more creative. my employers were supportive, but only for a short time. i never let school come before my job (school at nights, 25 hrs a week for a 1 1/2yr). but even still, they know you are on your way out they may look at you different. so keeping your job while in school depends on the relationship with the employer. but i feel like i'm using my artistic abilities now! totally different atmosphere, so fun and challenging and i LOVE hair. Do it if you feel you are dying inside and you need to make the change. sounds dramatic, but it felt that way and it was a fantastic change. Go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

inbinary in Birmingham, Michigan

68 months ago

i dont know if i would suggest quitting your job completely to go to cos school. i got liscensed in '06 and i'll be honest, it has bee really tough to make a decent living in this industry considering the economy. everyone i went to cos school with is now back in school, myself included. if you really want to do it, go for it but i would definitely try to manage something so you can keep your job while in school.

good luck with whatever you decide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

sharifa brown in EastOrange, New Jersey said: Yes I understand that,But I was trying to branch off into cosmetolgy instuctions. And Still keep My job @ the Smae time it will be difficult considering the ecomy now. But I Just have to wait and see

thank you for your advise.

I have been struggling with the economy thing for awhile. I think that this is not going to last forever, so while we are in a recession, this is a great time for me to get the schooling out of the way, so once the economy picks back up, I will already have the education and license done. I feel I have the gift of re-creating myself, and the willingness to change. So once I finish school and start working, I can always get a part time job or fall back on my degree or Event Planning (my current career), if things do not work out. I just don’t want to look back and say I never tried.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tngirl in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

67 months ago

I'm in the same situation as many of you. I quit my job in banking this september to pursue my dream of working in a upscale salon and obtaining my cosmetology lisence. I'm sorta gong back and forth because I know that I will pay about 16,000 to got to school, and I want to know it is the right move. I was in banking for 15 years, and though I did not like it. It was a security for me, and all I ever knew. I really want something fun, and exciting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Rachel in Nashville, Tennessee said: Dot, I can't be of much help to you in making your decision, but what I can say is OH MY GOODNESS I am so glad I found your post. I am in the EXACT same situation. I am a marketer and I have a secure desk job, but I can't stand the cubicles and fluorescent lighting and the monotony of the whole thing for one more minute. My husbands family is literally FULL of cosmetologists and they are all much happier people than those from my family who have sat at comfy state jobs all their lives. I am considering the switch for many reasons, but some of theh "pros" i've worked out are really outweighing the "cons". I love that you do your work right away. Someone comes in, you do your job, you get tipped based on your performance, and it's done. No deadlines, no memos, no TPS reports if you will. Plus you;ll get to be creative! If you're an event planner, you must be a motivated individual, good with people. From what I've seen that's what it takes. I hope this all works out well for you. I am walking down the same road... maybe we'll meet again sometime! Good luck!

What schools have you looked at in Nashville, I live in Murfreesboro.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sweetcheeks in Plainview, New York

67 months ago

Right now that would be a stupid move.
I was in Cosmetology school and it is a tad expensive if you can't get some help.

Your best bet is to attempt to do an evening program. But with 50k ALREADY in debts you might want to wait until you finish paying that off.

Right now isn't the time to be complaining about your job being BORING. STUPID STUPID STUPID reason to quit it and go to Beauty School.

There are probably about 20-80 QUALIFIED people who would EASILY take your job and snatch it up with less pay due to the way the economy is.

I live in NYC and I'm making less than $20/hr now and STILL doing better than my friends back in Cali that are hairstylists. Most of them were broke as hell for another year while they built up clientale...as if that isn't hard to do..guess what happened next? The economy went to sh*ts and NOW about 60%+ of their clients are gone..along with their commission.

A make-up artist definitely doesn't make as much money as a stylist either..unless she "goes big"..or makes it "bigtime". All of the make up artists that I know are babymamas who are living in income-based housing and STILL barely getting by.

YES- the beauty industry CAN potentially be fun and maybe even rewarding..but remember that you will be working with snobby/clique-ish women for the most part....unless you have another work plan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

Sweetcheeks in Plainview, New York

67 months ago

mickeys in Poway, California said: I quit the financial business to be a hairstylist and its the best decision i ever made. i was an admin assistant for 12 years and felt like i needed something more creative. my employers were supportive, but only for a short time. i never let school come before my job (school at nights, 25 hrs a week for a 1 1/2yr). but even still, they know you are on your way out they may look at you different. so keeping your job while in school depends on the relationship with the employer. but i feel like i'm using my artistic abilities now! totally different atmosphere, so fun and challenging and i LOVE hair. Do it if you feel you are dying inside and you need to make the change. sounds dramatic, but it felt that way and it was a fantastic change. Go for it!

You went to Poway Academy right? Same school I went to...about 2.5 years back.
Are you already a stylist? Most of the ladies that I know from there are now SOL with the economy...or living with their parents :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

joker in Goodlettsville, Tennessee

67 months ago

tngirl dont pay the high salary for the hair schools around the nashville area..go to the one in madison tn..nashville..its only about 5,000 and u learn the same thing..my wife has been doing it for 3 yrs..money is up and down right now..and what ever u do not work for one these franchise types were u only make about 6.oo and hr plus small commision..for example sports clips ,etc...it takes awhile to build up customers ,please dont jump in and think u will make 30,000 right off the bat..my wife has had some 400.00 days but right now work is slow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Oviedo, Florida

67 months ago

I was wondering, after school, do you HAVE to be an assistant, first?? I am an older, single mom looking for a career change. I have always wanted to do hair, and am finally at a point in my life where I can go for it--but really want to know if it is required to be an assistant, first. Planning to go to the new Aveda school here in Winter Park, Fl...Thanks for your advice!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sweetcheeks in Corona, New York

67 months ago

They usually suggest that you become an assistant part-time while you are in school so that way you don't have to spend too much time doing it when you graduate from beauty school..but there really is no way around it. You do need to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MeNYC in New York, New York

67 months ago

I'm having the exact same dilemma. I have been working in an office since college for 4 years, and just quit my job after not being able to take it any more. I want to enroll in cosmetology school, but I'm worried about making $ (not that I even have a FT job now). I've saved about $10,000 this year from my terrible job, and am just so stressed about what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

You were very smart to save up money. Follow your dreams and pursue your dream job. I wish that I had done it sooner in life. I've learned to not get the opions of too many people, they will make your decison more complicated. Nobody knows yourself like you do. I tried to find a school that was less expensive,but I know the type of person I am, and I only want the best. That is why I decided to do Paul Mitchell. I wish their was a Aveda school in my area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Britney 29 in Memphis, Tennessee

67 months ago

I have been a stylist for the past 10yrs at the most upscale salon in my city. I have received the best education, styled hair back stage for some of the biggest names in the industry, I've seen it all! With that said, I do wish someone would have told me the truth about what its REALLY like to be a stylist. For starters, it takes on average 3 years to build a decent clientele. In the mean time you will be living on a SLIM salary. I charge $80 for haircuts, which is high for my city, and I still barely get by. You will stand on your feet for 50-60hrs a week listening to people complain ENDLESSLY about their husbands, jobs, kids, money, weight...you name it, if you ever want to make the 50K you would have easily made if you would have gone to college,etc. If you don't work, you don't get paid...that's a fact. Ur sick? Don't get paid. Your out of town? Don't get paid. The average career span of a cosmetologist is 5 yrs. From an outsiders view, it looks like a blast! Play with hair and makeup all day, get tips, come and go as you please. The reality is that it isn't a very mentally stimulating career choice. You will grow so tired of doing the same thing day in and day out. You will get to the point where nothing is a challenge. The vanity and shallowness you've been exposed to for years will make you jaded. You will yearn for an intelligent conversation about anything!!! By this point in your career(about 5 yrs)you knees, shoulders, and arms will be giving out on you. Your feet will throb for hours after you get off work. Most people underestimate how physically challenging this jobs is, the years age you quickly.
I realize this probably sounds like a harsh review of the stylist career but I can honestly say I know 100's of stylist and I can think of one or two who still LOVE working behind the chair after a few years. Economy has taken HUGE toll on industry so my advice is stay where you are. Grass isn't always greener on other side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I have actually decided to attend The Salon Professional Academy (Redken school)....after visiting the school, it felt like I belong there. I just went to all the schools and visited just to get a feel. You can also get services done, just to see how the enviorment is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

senior09 in Baytown, Texas

66 months ago

Well i am still in high school, and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. I have always wanted to do cosmetology but I have also wanted to experience the "dorm life" and I sat my mom down the other day and told her i wanted to move to new york and go to a school in Albany well she freaked and told me to wait and go to school in bay town and then go find a job in new york. But i am just worried that when i get done with high school that i wont find out who i really am just staying home and going to school. Hair is the only thing that i really know how to do. I just want my mom to understand how i really feel about staying at home. I am not a little girl anymore i am growing up and realizing who i am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vivian in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

I'm glad i read these coments.
I also am interested in cosmetology but, i am scared. this is the last career change i want to make because i am 37 years old.
I feel like i might be to old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

senior09 in Baytown, Texas said: Well i am still in high school, and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. I have always wanted to do cosmetology but I have also wanted to experience the "dorm life" and I sat my mom down the other day and told her i wanted to move to new york and go to a school in Albany well she freaked and told me to wait and go to school in bay town and then go find a job in new york. But i am just worried that when i get done with high school that i wont find out who i really am just staying home and going to school. Hair is the only thing that i really know how to do. I just want my mom to understand how i really feel about staying at home. I am not a little girl anymore i am growing up and realizing who i am.

I went to college and finished, and I would not trade that experience and the friendships I made for the world. But I always knew I wanted to go in the beauty industry. You are young, so even if you tried college for 1-2 yrs, at least you gave it a try and it was not for you. Explore all you options, because once you are grown, married, have kids, etc. It will be a little bit harder, but not impossible. You don’t want to look back and ask yourself, why did I not at least try it. Going AWAY to school, is always a good way to find out who you are, the funny thing is that even after you graduate, you are still learning about who you are. You will learn all about you in time. I am 28 and still learning.

Lynn in Attalla, Alabama

66 months ago

I am almost 53. Male. I worked in healthcare for 32 years. Sick of it and unemployed now 6 months. I am thinking of going to cosmetology school. Why exactly? I am not sure but I think I want to be free to be creative, provide a service and be my own boss. I believe I would be good at it. Aveda Institute is 80 or so miles away and $16,000 for 12 months. Not too bad of a deal if you get what you need-fundamentals and the vision, I guess, to be something different and very good at what you do. I am wary of an 80 mile commute to school though. I am in pretty good physical condition though I have had issues with back and I am concerned the physical requirements of standing on my feet all day leaning over someone could be a problem.
I appreciate your comments and thank you for the opportunity to express mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Leigh in Trenton, New Jersey

66 months ago

I was a property manager for many years, talk about a demanding job. Try being on call 24 hours a day and having angry tenants call you at 2:00am to complain about something absolutely ridiculous. It makes all of the whining and complaining of a few hair clients seem so easy. I would rather stand up for hours than to sit at a small desk and risk eventually having a blood clot.

I left property management to work as an administrative assistant and it has been hell. Between the fluorescent lighting and uber conservative management staff, I'm about to go insane, literally. I'm still young, thin and attractive and I have been drawing and painting ever since I was a teenager. I'm creative and very edgy. I'm sure it's not for everyone and if you have a negative attitude, you're gonna get negative results. If you don't take care of yourself, you are not going to attract upscale clientele. I certainly wouldn't go to a nasty, sloppy person for personal services, most people wont.

I'm not looking for a get rich scheme, my husband is almost finished with a phd program, so after I complete cosmetology school, I'm only looking to supplement my income. I think it's so nice to see a great group of folks looking to get out of the office lull and into a career that will be rewarding. I think each and every one of you should give it a go. You only live once, take a risk. Don't let someone tell you that it's not a smart move just because they aren't having a good experience.

As for the economy, it is not great but people have not stopped living. I just went to the aquarium last weekend and for $20 a ticket, the place was filled to capacity. People are still spending money. The media often blows things out of proportion, people are still getting hair cuts, nails painted etc... You don't need to make $50k per year to be happy, all you need is nice environment that makes you smile!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pineapple Princess =D in Bremerton, Washington

64 months ago

I am kind of in a similar boat. I am not done with my degree but am less than a year away from my BSBA in Marketing. I am scared that I will not be able to find a job right after school. My job history is not too impressive, due to moving around so much (my husband is in the miliatry and we have lived in 3 states in the last 5 years and are moving again in 3 months).
I have let everyone tell me what to do my whole life. Any time I want to do something different I am always told that I shouldn't do it for XYZ reason.
I am also scared of the high tuition and also have student loans already.
Anyways, my advice, which is much easier said than done, is to do what you want to do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Fayetteville, North Carolina

64 months ago

Hi Everyone,I have already made my mind up but, sometimes you just need that extra boost well your in your journey. I was looking for some encouragement about the hair and make-up industry and boy, did i get it. Reading this page has helped me to realize that it's not about what people say, it's want YOU do to make a diffence in YOUR life.
I especially liked what "Jessica Leigh in Trenton, New Jersey" had to say. That's "Real Talk". So to everyone I leave you with this: Priority Risks, There are no limits, Only what we put on ourselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sandy in San Bernardino, California

64 months ago

i love this!!
i start school tomorrow n i was up just thinking should i????
n i found this review ,awesome i always love making ladys girls fell so pretty =]
i can't wait good or bad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

loza in Pompano Beach, Florida

63 months ago

Does anyone know which is the best scholl to go to in Broward county or on Boca Raton Fl? Also, about how much will tuition be? Any info would be greatly appreciated....thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joobles in Corona, New York

63 months ago

Everyone that I know who graduated from my cosmetology school is struggling or living at home with their parents....and this is after 3 years. I believe there are one or two of them who are doing pretty well, but they have the help of their bread-winner hubbies to be honest.
I guess it all depends on how good you are and how you market yourself. If you have a savings to support yourself for two years...it's possible..otherwise..think wisely. Beauty school takes a year and you can barely work part-time while doing it. After that, you are in the workforce and it takes AT least a solid year to build a client base.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

daisy in Kensington, Maryland

63 months ago

Dot in Sacramento, California said: Hi,

I'm 27 years old, and currently work a boring desk job. I make a decent salary, which holds me back from leaving. I have an MBA and BS in Finance, and run a part time event planning business.

Ever since I realized just how boring offices are, I've wanted to go to cosmetology school. I always thought it would fun to run a salon.

However, I'm also considering just getting a makeup artist certification, which I can use in conjunction with event planning.

So would it be stupid at this point in the game to quit my job and go to cosmetology school? I'm nervous about having an income, and adding further to student loans (at $50k now). Has anyone else done this?

I am concerned about your incurring more debt. I think that you should really look at all of the pro's and con's in becomming a beautician. If you feel that once you get your licence in cosmetology, you would be able to pay all debts incurred, and this truly is your passion, then I would consider doing it. but don't set yourself up for more debt, and then have a difficult time getting any future loans that you may need to start or enhance your business. Best wishes to you, and all of your endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trish in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

Hi everyone, I am Vietnamese and I have been a Manicurist for 7 years. I want to quit to a health care career. Having done it for 7 years hurts my back and shouder really bad, the money is not that good. I work 60 hours a week and make $3,000 a month.You really have to work long hour. The client is not always happy with you, especially when you just done school and you don't have experience. I cried so many time when i started this job. Many salons now don't wanna hire new graduated people, they prefer experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

trish in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

I agree 100% with Britney. I have been in this field for 7 years and it is so hard for my body right now. Just stay where you are especially when you have gone to college and have a stable job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mickeys in Escondido, California

63 months ago

quit trying to sell people-unless its on hair of course

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curl up N dye in Aberdeen, South Dakota

63 months ago

Britney 29 in Memphis, Tennessee said: I have been a stylist for the past 10yrs at the most upscale salon in my city. I have received the best education, styled hair back stage for some of the biggest names in the industry, I've seen it all! With that said, I do wish someone would have told me the truth about what its REALLY like to be a stylist. For starters, it takes on average 3 years to build a decent clientele. In the mean time you will be living on a SLIM salary. I charge $80 for haircuts, which is high for my city, and I still barely get by. You will stand on your feet for 50-60hrs a week listening to people complain ENDLESSLY about their husbands, jobs, kids, money, weight...you name it, if you ever want to make the 50K you would have easily made if you would have gone to college,etc. If you don't work, you don't get paid...that's a fact. Ur sick? Don't get paid. Your out of town? Don't get paid. The average career span of a cosmetologist is 5 yrs. From an outsiders view, it looks like a blast! Play with hair and makeup all day, get tips, come and go as you please. The reality is that it isn't a very mentally stimulating career choice. You will grow so tired of doing the same thing day in and day out. You will get to the point where nothing is a challenge. The vanity and shallowness you've been exposed to for years will make you jaded. You will yearn for an intelligent conversation about anything!!! By this point in your career(about 5 yrs)you knees, shoulders, and arms will be giving out on you. Your feet will throb for hours after you get off work. Most people underestimate how physically challenging this jobs is, the years age you quickly.
I realize this probably sounds like a harsh review of the stylist career but I can honestly say I know 100's of stylist and I can think of one or two who still LOVE working behind the chair after a few years. Economy has taken HUGE toll on industry so my advice is stay where you are. Grass isn't always greener

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lerie in Arlington, Texas

63 months ago

I have a college degree along with ALL of my other friends, and unless you are in the medical field, none of them are making 50K, and they all are ready for a new career. I just enrolled in Cosmo program, and I have to do what will make me happy. Even if in 10yrs I feel like I am done, I like to challenge myself as well as reinvent myself so I always have a plan A-Z. I am getting in this field with some set goals, etc. So I say go for it, you will never know if you like it, if you dont try. You can not base your career on someones else outlook.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dash girl in Las Vegas, Nevada

63 months ago

fsfcerc43 yellow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

SMRN in CHECOTAH, Oklahoma

63 months ago

I appreciate all feedback!! Thank you ahead of time![
i am 45 yo and Im an RN. I always wanted to be a hairstylist, but fell into the medical field and heve been there since i was 19. Ive been a nurse for 7 yrs-6yrs too long. the 12 hr days turn into 14-it seems no matter how hard i wrk-and let me tell you it is-someone is always unhappy, including me. i know what i want to do, I am such a creative artistic person, i know this would make me happy, its just finding the way to finance it. ive made good money but have managed it poorly. i still have 10k is school loans, and credit is stretched to the max. im a single mom also. does anyone know of any programs financial aid programs that could help me achieve my dream? i would love to wake up in the morning and look forward to going to work.

SMRN in tulsa, Oklahoma

63 months ago

Lynn in Attalla, Alabama said: I am almost 53. Male. I worked in healthcare for 32 years. Sick of it and unemployed now 6 months. I am thinking of going to cosmetology school. Why exactly? I am not sure but I think I want to be free to be creative, provide a service and be my own boss. I believe I would be good at it. Aveda Institute is 80 or so miles away and $16,000 for 12 months. Not too bad of a deal if you get what you need-fundamentals and the vision, I guess, to be something different and very good at what you do. I am wary of an 80 mile commute to school though. I am in pretty good physical condition though I have had issues with back and I am concerned the physical requirements of standing on my feet all day leaning over someone could be a problem.
I appreciate your comments and thank you for the opportunity to express mine.

i hear you-Im in healthcare, unemployed for a month. healthcare IS NOT a secure job! its political with backstabbers by the boatful. its well over-rated. although good money-but thats it. i dont know if any job these days are secure like they were 30yrs ago. I just know that i have to be happy with what i do. nsg making 60k a yr didnt do it, the more you make the more you spend. i was just as happy as paramedic making 30k. i just wanna do some thing i love, be in a different atmosphere. ive seen ppl at thier worst, ready to sue at the blink of an eye. i am creative, always wanted to do hair, just chose what i feel was the wrong path. I am 45 people! make sure u do what makes you happy. whatever that is!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Irvine, California

62 months ago

Jessica Leigh in Trenton, New Jersey said: If you don't take care of yourself, you are not going to attract upscale clientele. I certainly wouldn't go to a nasty, sloppy person for personal services, most people wont.

This really tends to be true, unfortunately. Its sad that most of what you make will be based on your appearance and personality.

And Lynn? As a man, you actually stand a BETTER chance than a woman of being successful. Why? Because although you are going to be a recent grad, believe it or not people will think you are more experienced. There are also women out there that would rather be worked on by a man, and any cosmo knows that there are more women behind the chair, but more men become successful as hairdressers

Melanie in Irvine, California

62 months ago

Wow. I am sorry I am making so many comments, but I would trade my cosmo education for *your* undergrad any day! I am just looking to do nails on the side (no thanks on the hair; too many negatives that have already been mentioned) and I am going to school to be a paralegal and trying to finish a second A.A. I love the industry and I love doing hair and everything else, but never ever again full time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jake in Fresno, California

62 months ago

I've been going to college for three years and during the entire time, I've always had Cosmetology on the back of my mind...I tried to ignore it and make myself believe I was happy going to college and that earning by Bachelor's degree will make so many people proud. Well I'm tired of it. I'm tired of trying to please others because in the end, it's my life. So I've decided to enroll to Cosmo school! I hear that it will be tough when you start out building your clientele but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Those of you considering cosmetology, do what you feel will make you happy? If you find out that it's just not for you, at least you gave it a try. Don't live life with any regrets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

powder in Byron Center, Michigan

62 months ago

Dot in Sacramento, California said: Hi,I'm 27 years old, and currently work a boring desk job. I make a decent salary, which holds me back from leaving. I have an MBA and BS in Finance, and run a part time event planning business.Ever since I realized just how boring offices are, I've wanted to go to cosmetology school. I always thought it would fun to run a salon.However, I'm also considering just getting a makeup artist certification, which I can use in conjunction with event planning.So would it be stupid at this point in the game to quit my job and go to cosmetology school? I'm nervous about having an income, and adding further to student loans (at $50k now). Has anyone else done this?I appreciate all feedback!! Thank you ahead of time!
I don't want to sound negative but I quit my job and went to cosmo school took out a loan for $10,000 to go and got all a's and got my license and a job at regis for three months then got let go because I had trouble with some cuts and color some compaints.  This is very discouraging and I don't know if I can do this for work.  I'm am sitting home with no job and a school loan scared to go into this field.  I will have to pay it with some other work maybe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

morgan in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

I am in a similar situation! I am 29 and actually already work in the field as an esthetician and am considering going back to school to get my full cosmetology license. Yes, the economy has affected this industry but in certain areas. Most people are receiving less facials and prolonging their waxings, but hair....what woman would give up their color and cut....not too many i know..and guys get cuts every few weeks. Im just trying to figure out how i can make a living while attending school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jorey in Vancouver, Washington

62 months ago

Sweetcheeks in Plainview, New York said: Right now that would be a stupid move.
I was in Cosmetology school and it is a tad expensive if you can't get some help.

Your best bet is to attempt to do an evening program. But with 50k ALREADY in debts you might want to wait until you finish paying that off.

Right now isn't the time to be complaining about your job being BORING. STUPID STUPID STUPID reason to quit it and go to Beauty School.

There are probably about 20-80 QUALIFIED people who would EASILY take your job and snatch it up with less pay due to the way the economy is.

I live in NYC and I'm making less than $20/hr now and STILL doing better than my friends back in Cali that are hairstylists. Most of them were broke as hell for another year while they built up clientale...as if that isn't hard to do..guess what happened next? The economy went to sh*ts and NOW about 60%+ of their clients are gone..along with their commission.

A make-up artist definitely doesn't make as much money as a stylist either..unless she "goes big"..or makes it "bigtime". All of the make up artists that I know are babymamas who are living in income-based housing and STILL barely getting by.

YES- the beauty industry CAN potentially be fun and maybe even rewarding..but remember that you will be working with snobby/clique-ish women for the most part....unless you have another work plan.

you are right on the money!! No bennies, low pay, you gotta flow with the tide of the economuy, January, April and October and summer months are slow times. Feast of famine job. But it's fun if you can stand the snobs and prima donna's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cosmogirl2107 in Mankato, Minnesota

60 months ago

QUESTION!!!
ok so i went to cosmetology school in mankato mn. Well the stupid owner withdrew me because i had to many medical notes! i was so upset cuz i only had three 2 1/2-3 months left and she did that. Well she told me to come back in a few months, which i did. Rules chaged supposely and she said i have to be taken as a transfer student and pay over 8,000 dollars to come back! I thought that was bull!!!! Well, now i am going to school for dental assisting and got 2-3 years left...after i am done i want to finish cosmetology.. BUT NOT RETURN TO THE SCHOOL I WENT TO!!! ATTN NEVER GO TO COSMETOLOGY TRAINING CENTER!! i want to go to a different school(rather give a different school money than CTC.) ANYWAYS, i was wondering do i have to start ALL over when i go back or do i have to do the 40 hour refresher course than start off where i left off? please help!! because i do want to finish after i am done with dental school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kenovia in Sanford, Florida

59 months ago

Terry in Oviedo, Florida said: I was wondering, after school, do you HAVE to be an assistant, first?? I am an older, single mom looking for a career change. I have always wanted to do hair, and am finally at a point in my life where I can go for it--but really want to know if it is required to be an assistant, first. Planning to go to the new Aveda school here in Winter Park, Fl...Thanks for your advice!!

I wouldnt recommend that school tho, they gave me the COMPLETE run around. Now I'm looking for a Cosmetology program that offers Dorm living and the opportunity to earn you A.A in the Arts at the same time.

No, you dont HAVE to be a stylist assistant first.

Check me out, BRAIDSANDBEYOND.BLOGSPOT.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tinab in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

Hi, I live in chicago and I work for a huge company monday thru Friday and do hair on the side. I never been to school for a liscense and I have alot of clients and even though the economy is messed up I love doing hair been doing it for the past 8 years and it's great I make about 400 dollars a week and I only do hair on Saturdays and Sundays I charge by the hour and I love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LuvChocolate in San Jose, California

59 months ago

PLEASE READ....I NEED ADVICE....Hi everyone I am a 33 year old mother that has wanted to be a cosmetologist since I was a small girl who had her bedroom salon for friends (oops), not to mention I had the best looking barbies around lol. But seriously I had about 7 months left of cosmo school when I was in an auto accident and had to have back surgery then 4 weeks after the operation I was hit by a drunk driver who was actually killed in the accident...................... I still have back pain but am much better and really wanting to go back part time to finish. I have a husband who has a fairly good salary, not to mention large settlements coming from the two insurance companies from the two men that hit me. The point being is I want this so can my back with stand this part time???? Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa_R in Wichita, Kansas

59 months ago

LuvChocolate in San Jose, California said: PLEASE READ....I NEED ADVICE....Hi everyone I am a 33 year old mother that has wanted to be a cosmetologist since I was a small girl who had her bedroom salon for friends (oops), not to mention I had the best looking barbies around lol. But seriously I had about 7 months left of cosmo school when I was in an auto accident and had to have back surgery then 4 weeks after the operation I was hit by a drunk driver who was actually killed in the accident...................... I still have back pain but am much better and really wanting to go back part time to finish. I have a husband who has a fairly good salary, not to mention large settlements coming from the two insurance companies from the two men that hit me. The point being is I want this so can my back with stand this part time???? Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thank you.

What is it that you love about being a cosmetologist? Do you love to do hair? Makeup? Skin care? Nails? What has your doctor said about going back to school? And even if you finish the school, are you going to be able to go into practice with your back in this condition?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nilla in Oradell, New Jersey

59 months ago

cosmogirl2107 in Mankato, Minnesota said: QUESTION!!!
ok so i went to cosmetology school in mankato mn. Well the stupid owner withdrew me because i had to many medical notes! i was so upset cuz i only had three 2 1/2-3 months left and she did that. Well she told me to come back in a few months, which i did. Rules chaged supposely and she said i have to be taken as a transfer student and pay over 8,000 dollars to come back! I thought that was bull!!!! Well, now i am going to school for dental assisting and got 2-3 years left...after i am done i want to finish cosmetology.. BUT NOT RETURN TO THE SCHOOL I WENT TO!!! ATTN NEVER GO TO COSMETOLOGY TRAINING CENTER!! i want to go to a different school(rather give a different school money than CTC.) ANYWAYS, i was wondering do i have to start ALL over when i go back or do i have to do the 40 hour refresher course than start off where i left off? please help!! because i do want to finish after i am done with dental school.

laws vary within each state. cosmo is all run by the state. you can probably find more information on your states website for professional licensing. And about your school...concidering you had doctor notes...im 98% sure thats illegal for the reasoning that you actually HAVE doctors notes. it's not like you were just skipping school, there was a medical reasoning behind it. i would look into that too...you might get lucky :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chocolat Ladi in Orlando, Florida

59 months ago

I understand the leaving your job thing. I had a job in management that literally made me sick. So sick that I had to leave. Upon leaving I had an idea of what I wanted to do but was unsure, but like the elders say...do it while your young. So that's what I did. I went and became a certified make up artist. I am still dealing with my health issues, but I also realize that I still need to make a living for myself. So I recently enrolled in Aveda, Winter Park. I dont know what kind of runaround they gave Ms. Kenovia but everything went seamlessly for me.
They were also very patient and understanding when i told them that I was shopping around to different schools. The only concern I have with Aveda is that you are only learning Aveda products. however, I do like the environment and they are very knowledgable when it comes to hair being that they have been doing what they do for yrs upon yrs.
I also visited Central Florida College and I wanted to go there, but Aveda was cheaper. But not for long. A lil birdie told me that their prices will be going up next week.I also like the fact that Aveda doesnt have a uniform like CFC. CFC has you walkin around in blk scrubs that say CFC on it.
I visited Paul Mitchell but didnt feel comfortable there. It seemed like a party school.
At first, i was going to study Esthetics, but then realized from being an MUA it would be helpful to do hair and if i wanna do any skin care or waxing, I can just take classes on the side as opposed to signing up for school for thousands of dollars.
As far as the physical demands on your body, it doesnt really matter in my case cuz my body and health is jacked up either way! lol...so i figured why not go for a job in a field that matches my personality and allows me to create and most importantly make women feel beautiful. Good luck to all of u out there, even tho it sounds as if most of you have already made up your mind. Pray on it. God will show you what you should do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida

59 months ago

Britney 29 in Memphis, Tennessee said: ... Most people underestimate how physically challenging this jobs is, the years age you quickly.
I realize this probably sounds like a harsh review of the stylist career...

Brittany, is not harsh at all, she is very honest. The reality is this: a successful person with true longevity behind the chair that does not own a salon, must be savvy and smart. The OP will have a hard time keeping intelligent clients around long once they hear her story of debt. They'll think she's a dingbat and won't want her putting chemicals on their head. At least MY CLIENTS wouldn't! Because I "KNOW" how they think. But hey, there are a lot of types of people that may be intrigued with her story and may come by for a look-see. Other than that, this is a brutal business on the body. If you're serious about business, really serious, then for God's sake, learn the business and buy into it, but don't think for a minute that you're going to make a gazillion dollars yourself standing behind the chair. I made good money, but it wasn't before ruining my wrists and hands in twenty years because I didn't take enough breaks. I worked like a dog for $25 hair cuts to make $42K part time..... and that was 13 years ago the last I worked "officially". My part time hours were four days a month, too. So, I "booked hard and heavy" when I did work. I eventually moved, had surgery, and haven't gone back to work. I've supported my husband's career.

Don't be stupid and think "doing hair" is a party all day long. "Those" types of hair dressers don't make it long in this business. They end up doing drugs, attracting that partying crowd and running the town, and thinking they're the cat's meow. It's all TEMPORARY AND WASHABLE. IT'S FAKE. IT'S A JOKE. YOU NEED TO THINK BREAD AND BUTTER AND WHAT IS GOING TO KEEP THE MONEY COMING IN SO YOU CAN PAY THE BILLS MONTH IN AND OUT. And that is supporting the everyday men and women of America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.