Too old for beauty school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 605)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Kathleen in Springfield, Massachusetts

91 months ago

Hello- I have recently been thinking of attending beauty school, an idea I've had for years. I am largely discouraged by family members because I am currently 48 years old with hardly any work experience other then being a homemaker and visual artist. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to get my hopes up over something that would only lead to embaressment and disappointment. I can't help but think that even if I did well in school that no one would give me the the chance in the employment world due to my age and inexperience. Is there any advice you could offer me?

Thank you!-Kathleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Denver CO in Aurora, Colorado

91 months ago

Kathleen in Springfield, Massachusetts said: Hello- I have recently been thinking of attending beauty school, an idea I've had for years. I am largely discouraged by family members because I am currently 48 years old with hardly any work experience other then being a homemaker and visual artist. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to get my hopes up over something that would only lead to embaressment and disappointment. I can't help but think that even if I did well in school that no one would give me the the chance in the employment world due to my age and inexperience. Is there any advice you could offer me?

Thank you!-Kathleen

If you love being around people and can handle standing all day why not? How old will you be if you don't go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Lincoln, Nebraska

90 months ago

Definetly do it....
I just graduated from cosmetology and there were I think three forty somethings that went to school- you're definetly not too old! They always had more return clients than the rest of us! :)

If you've got a fun personality and you're a people person... go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

shane in Boise, Idaho

90 months ago

another area you could get into is nails or skin care. It only takes 4 months to train for those carrers and it can be very lucrative.Just love helping and talking to people. You go girl!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Woronoco, Massachusetts

90 months ago

Thank you all for your words of encouragement-I am going to look into skin and nail care as well as cosmetology- I am psyched!-Kathleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

40 & off to hair school in Surprise, Arizona

90 months ago

Hi, dont make the mistake I made years ago. I only went to school to do skin & nails. Unless you are young & flawless forget it, you go the extra mile, spend a few more months, & you will have all 3. Hair is for everyone, you can be 18-80 to go to school, dont waste anymore time, you go do what your authentic self has been telling you, 2 year's away from now, the critics can kiss your HAPPY, HARD WORKING, GRITS.

THANK YOU KATHLEEN!
I start on june, 05 07, again. I have 800 hours more.
I feel stupid to about it, I almost went when I was 38, now I am 40. Now I do not care what people will say!
Lot's of luck from a fellow artist! Let's keep in touch. KD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina D in Surprise, Arizona

90 months ago

Cool Blog, I love hair! My blog is posted, I am KD, with 800 hours to go in AZ.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Woronoco, Massachusetts

90 months ago

You guys sound awesome- I am definatly going to go the full cosmetology route- I visited a school last week and will likely go there in October, since my son will be well settled into school by then-it's going to be a tough schedule (3/4 time) and getting everyone out of the house including my dressed and made-up self will mean getting up at 5 everyday, but I'll be home by 3 for the 3:30 school bus- and maybe get to take a nap- I feel really excited and wish I could start sooner-Kathleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wondering in virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia

90 months ago

Kathleen in Springfield, Massachusetts said: Hello- I have recently been thinking of attending beauty school, an idea I've had for years. I am largely discouraged by family members because I am currently 48 years old with hardly any work experience other then being a homemaker and visual artist. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to get my hopes up over something that would only lead to embaressment and disappointment. I can't help but think that even if I did well in school that no one would give me the the chance in the employment world due to my age and inexperience. Is there any advice you could offer me?

Thank you!-Kathleen

I have a friend who encouraged me to get into hair styling about 7 years ago. I thought he was crazy. I was building my own graphic design business. When the dotcom bust hit and we went into a bit of a recession, his earning remained solid and mine fell. I think his advice was solid and am seriously considering it now. His business is growing by leaps and bounds and he currently works 4 days a week and makes alot more money than I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Milam, West Virginia

88 months ago

Wow- That is awesome!

Maybe we all come to a point in life, no matter what we are doing, we need some kind of change- It is what keeps us learning and feeling alive- Of course there are those who are perfectly happy doing the same thing for all of their lives, I guess it is just a personal choice. My father changed careers from an art historian to a lawyer in his mid-forties and ended up writing about immigration issues ( an extraordinary man, RIP)

Thanks again, for your best wishes. I have signed up for a cosmetology program to begin in Sept.- feel kinda like a young kid again:)- I'm sure I'll have those kind of days of "What am I doing, making my life harder" but I gotta remember how bored I've been just doing nothing for myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

old school in San Jose, California

88 months ago

Thank you!-Kathleen

Kathleen, I am a 47 year old construction worker that has been injured and am no longer able to do the work I have loved all my life. When I first realized that I would have to retrain to do something else I had the same fear of having to compete in a much younger work world. We, you, me and all of use that start over at middle age, do face some real challenges. However, our life experience is more of an advantage than our age is a hindrance. I can no longer hang a beam or role a roof truss buy myself as I once could, but knowing how dose help me manage the younger men how have the physical ability to do so. Your life experience will help you too. When people our age are starting over and are new grads, we are already way out in the lead because we have the maturity to not just see the world around use but to understand it. Do your best and fallow your heart, and you will do great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Milam, West Virginia

88 months ago

old school in San Jose, California said: Kathleen, I am a 47 year old construction worker that has been injured and am no longer able to do the work I have loved all my life. When I first realized that I would have to retrain to do something else I had the same fear of having to compete in a much younger work world. We, you, me and all of use that start over at middle age, do face some real challenges. However, our life experience is more of an advantage than our age is a hindrance. I can no longer hang a beam or role a roof truss buy myself as I once could, but knowing how dose help me manage the younger men how have the physical ability to do so. Your life experience will help you too. When people our age are starting over and are new grads, we are already way out in the lead because we have the maturity to not just see the world around use but to understand it. Do your best and fallow your heart, and you will do great.

Thanks for the encouraging reply-It's interesting because I'm sure many of us in middle age, embarking on something new, are judged initially on how much older we look than the typical worker or student. People may unconciously dismiss us intitially until they feel more comfortable with us, and begin to notice how wise we can be due to our experiences observing people. Perhaps we notice things that could be improved in the workplace before other people, or go into a more management role, as we are used to managing so many different aspects of our lives and our families.

I guess sometimes you have to just have a tough skin- I am not going to school to make a bunch of pals and be 'popular'- most likely I'll just feel like an outsider, but I don't care because I'm going to be learning something which interests me personally- I wish I hadn't cared so much about all of that social stuff when I was a young student- If anything it just impaired my experience in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

amy in Glen Burnie, Maryland

87 months ago

Thank you!-Kathleen

Hi there! I'm in the same boat right now and am soooo glad I found this sight....I'm 36 and I'm going for it....did you end up signing up? How is it going? I'd love to know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Bentonville, Virginia

87 months ago

Amy, I have signed up starting on sept. 10- I am really excited about it- I found a good school that will work around my son's schedule so my hours are 9-2:30--it will take a little longer than if I were to go for a full day.

You should definatly go for it- you're a decade younger than me,I wish I hade done this a decade ago- cheers-K

Philip Colato

87 months ago

Before choosing a cosmetology school find out the particulars on what you really needs to know. You should know about hidden expenses, refund policies,placement,etc. Since you are investing your time and money do your homework first.
Before you enroll in a trade or career school, the Federal Trade Commission recommends the following:
• Can you learn the skills offered by the school on the job or as an apprentice?
• What size are the classes?
• Do the instructors have real-world experience that makes them qualified teachers?
• What type of equipment does the school have?
• Do you need to purchase books, equipment, or supplies that the school does not provide?
• Check the school’s licensing and accrediting organizations. This can be done by checking the Department of Education’s list of accrediting agencies.
• If other schools do not accept credits earned, find out why. If the school does not want to provide this information, it may be a bad sign. Employers may not hire graduates from unaccredited schools.
• To see wether any complaints have been filed against the school, check with the Better Business Bureau in your state or the Attorney General’s Office.
• Ask a school representative about job placement rates, dropout rates, program length, tuition and additional expenses
www.ptlia.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in surprise in Glendale, Arizona

87 months ago

Kristina D in Surprise, Arizona said: Cool Blog, I love hair! My blog is posted, I am KD, with 800 hours to go in AZ.

I am 26 and i have 2 kids and live far from any beauty school. i live in surprise arizona and there is none close. i wanna follow my dream. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in surprise in Glendale, Arizona

87 months ago

40 & off to hair school in Surprise, Arizona said: Hi, dont make the mistake I made years ago. I only went to school to do skin & nails. Unless you are young & flawless forget it, you go the extra mile, spend a few more months, & you will have all 3. Hair is for everyone, you can be 18-80 to go to school, dont waste anymore time, you go do what your authentic self has been telling you, 2 year's away from now, the critics can kiss your HAPPY, HARD WORKING, GRITS.

THANK YOU KATHLEEN!
I start on june, 05 07, again. I have 800 hours more.
I feel stupid to about it, I almost went when I was 38, now I am 40. Now I do not care what people will say!
Lot's of luck from a fellow artist! Let's keep in touch. KD

is there any schools in surprise arizona for hair please email me sweetpinkpurple@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

christel in Fort Worth, Texas

86 months ago

This was a very informative forum...I'm in my 30's and thought that I was way too old for beauty college...It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with a passion for hair at a later age...I looked into a college here in Texas and I'm settling on Ogle School...I'm so excited and ready to do something that I know I will enjoy...Sure, it will have it's challenges but in the end, I'm sure it is all worth it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tim D in Fort Worth, Texas

86 months ago

I am looking at trying to go to remington college for Cosmetology School. I am forced to retire at a fairly young age and would like to open my own salon. I am just a little nervous about being a 40 yr old guy going into this career

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb in Rockford, Illinois

86 months ago

I am so excited to have found this forum! I too am struggleing with the too old issue myself. Next month I will be 49! uggh! But I feel a young 49. I have worked at a factory job for 25 years and have hated every moment of it. Sure the pay, vacation, bennies are all good, but what about the happiness factor?? I have always wanted to be a hair stylist. The hardest sell I am having is my husband who is very comfortable with the same money coming in every week and all the benifits, which I do understand, But I also can't seem to give up the idea. Any ideas for helping me sell him on the new direction I would like to grow in?? Any thoughts would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Tim D in Fort Worth, Texas said: I am looking at trying to go to remington college for Cosmetology School. I am forced to retire at a fairly young age and would like to open my own salon. I am just a little nervous about being a 40 yr old guy going into this career

Hi Tim! I was interested in attending Remington College and then I heard about Ogle School in Hurst...and don't get nervous, we're both in the same boat and we just finally realized what we wanted out of life...it's never too late!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Deb in Rockford, Illinois said: I am so excited to have found this forum! I too am struggleing with the too old issue myself. Next month I will be 49! uggh! But I feel a young 49. I have worked at a factory job for 25 years and have hated every moment of it. Sure the pay, vacation, bennies are all good, but what about the happiness factor?? I have always wanted to be a hair stylist. The hardest sell I am having is my husband who is very comfortable with the same money coming in every week and all the benifits, which I do understand, But I also can't seem to give up the idea. Any ideas for helping me sell him on the new direction I would like to grow in?? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Well, I was in a similar situation as well...I've went to colllege and didn't know what I wanted, I went and took a medical coding and billing course and that wasn't what I wanted either...it took some soul searching and while I did that, I was always comforting myself by doing my daughter's hair...that was it! I love hair and learning about hair so I thought why not be a professional hair stylist...it did take my husband a while to warm up to it...this was something entirely different than the "promised" jobs from all those colleges...Don't get me wrong I had to pray about it...it just got to a point when I had to tell my husband that I'd rather invest our time and money into something that I truly love to do and the payoff will come real soon...as long as you are true to yourself and your husband and he sees the desire is in you to become a professional hair stylist, then I'm sure he'll be all for it...and by the way, WE channel (it's a cable channel)has a show called Hair Trauma, the ins and outs of a professional stylist who happens to be world renown-Ellin Lavarr, is a great show for you and your hubby to watch, you can catch it on you tube as well! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Crystal
Have you chosen a school. I may wind up at ogle because i need night school. I am going to try to start by Nov Because I have to go on a business trip in OCt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

christel

how much is school supplies (your kit) gonna cost. can you pay it over time

86 months ago

Well, the course itself is around 15,000 (just estimating) and the supplies I might need won't cost more than $50...there are loans and grants available but I didn't qualify for a grant so I will have to pay $299 a month for 10 months...All in all if it's something you want to do just go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb in Rockford, Illinois

86 months ago

Christel,
Thanks for your reply. Have you finished school? Are you working now in a salon? I hope that I can get through to my husband just how much I feel this is the right choice for me to do. Thanks again for you taking the time to reply.

Hopeful- Deb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

No, I haven't started yet...I'm starting at the end of October...We're in the same boat...my husband now understands that this is what I want to do...heck, I was doing hair yesterday for 5 hours straight so I have to like it, huh? Well, just reassure your husband that it will payoff in the long run and as long as your heart is in it you will succeed!

Noell in Desert Hot Springs, California

86 months ago

Thank you!-Kathleen

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Your family doesn't sound very supportive! I am 40 and i LOVE being a hairstylist It is so fun and Yes you can start out and gain some credibility and enhance your skillsYou will gain confidence from doing this I promise!n

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Kathleen
Don't forget I am a guy who is 40 and having to work on my wife about this. And my schooling is totally paid for but she worries about me being around women.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

so has anyone committed to a school

85 months ago

Chrytsal

did you deal with lyndsey do you have their #

tee in Charlotte, North Carolina

85 months ago

Wow, what a great forum. I too am in my mid-40's and have been putting off going to cosmetology school for years. I love doing hair and know I would be great at it. Your comments have inspired me....thanks. I know financially it will be tough, but not as tough as continuing to go to a job that I hate. Kudos to everyone for following their dreams.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Woodbury, New Jersey

85 months ago

Hello All from NJ. Can anyone please help me and guide me as to what I should do. I'm 48 and I've had my hair license for years in PA and
have since moved to NJ. I do a little hair on the side, not a lot - cuts and a little color. I am NOW getting my NJ license and should
have it in a few weeks. I want to go out and work in a salon again since my youngest is in high school and I have time.
QUESTION - How can I get updated on the new techniques - foils - colors - cuts etc. When I used to frost it was with a cap.
All the products have changed and I HAVE TO get updated. I called all the Tech./Beauty schools and they don't have anything
for something like me. I was ONCE one of the best in my field and you know - if you don't use it you lost it.
How can I get back on the bike and learn all these new things and get a salon owner to give me a chance?????
Thanks all in advance for any suggestions.

85 months ago

Hi! Well, one suggestion would be to call up the salons in your area and even the walk in hair salons (hair cuttery or fantastic sams) and ask the stylists if they offer classes or know if any salon that's offering classes or instructions on how to do the latest colors,cuts, styles, etc...also, check the internet...I'm sure there are workshops in your area that'll offer classes on how to update your techniques...at least you have your license so you won't need to do 10 months of school again! Good Luck!

85 months ago

Tim D in Fort Worth, Texas said: Chrytsal

did you deal with lyndsey do you have their #

No..her name was Andrea... She was really cool the # is 817-284-9231

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Woodbury, New Jersey

85 months ago

For anyone who is wondering if they should go to cosmo. school (any age) - I say "GO - GO, but ONLY if you LOVE doing hair". It really has to be a passion and in your blood! Some of the young people coming out of these schools and working just don't seem to have the passion and quality work. I went to school back in 1982 - I even started when I JUST found out I was pregnant with my SECOND child! Went all the way up to my 9th month. Didn't get my license till 1984. I've seen so many people who started school and didn't finish and some who got through, didn't really work at it and went on to something else.
After working a few years - I saw a computer - Windows was just coming out. I took some courses and got into being an Administrative Assistant.
After working all these years in business (still doing some hair on the side) I quit my job months ago and I want to go part-time in a salon and like what
I'm doing. Just have to get updated!
But best of all - I was able to cut my dad's hair when he got real ill before he passed and I'm still doing my 84 year old mother's hair!!
You HAVE to LOVE doing hair and chatting with ALL KINDS of people.

I

85 months ago

Do you have a COSMOPROF or MALY'S in NJ? Those are two supply stores (licensed only) and they have great classes.
The products are easy...just read the back and use them on you first. Pick one line maybe Redken and check out this site... @ behindthechair.com
Good luck
Lovin' hair (at 40) in Ca.

Kathleen in Upperville, Virginia

85 months ago

hey guys- a quick update to tell you that I absolutly love beauty school- if you can stand to be on your feet for long periods and love beauty, I say go for it- I'm 48 and feeling great- thanks for all of your support, I'll let you know how it goes- Kathleen

cheryl in Omaha, Nebraska

85 months ago

This if for Kathleen who is worried about being "too old" to go Beauty School. I am 44 years old and when I was 19 years old I attempted to go to Beauty School. Things came up and I was unable to finish. I had started and then moved. It took me years to go back to school. I finally went back at the age of 38 to get my esthetician license. I wanted to be a platform make up artist when I was younger and do hair. Well, I did makeup artist work in a department store but wanted to get "licensed". Did that and in the back of my mind I wanted to go and finish school for hair. I then attempted to go back for hair and several things came up again and had to put it off. I then decided it was "now or never" and finally after 14 months full time at the age of 44, I have completed it and passed my boards and now licensed for hair as well. It is NEVER too late. And by the way, there was another lady there who is 47 years old and owns a salon and went to be licensed and she will be done this November. So , go for it!!!

Nalla in ?

85 months ago

Go for it! I actually prefer the more mature stylist. Mine is older and have me in and out in 1 1/2hrs as apposed to half of a day with my previous younger stylist. Some of us want simple hairstyles not the ones that take all day. Good luck to you. By the way, I pay good money and tip well.

cherelann in Omaha, Nebraska

85 months ago

Now that I am just fresh out of Cosmetology school, I have been checking out and interviewing with different companies. I am not sure which way to go. I have looked into Regis, Great Clips, supercuts, costcutters, Hair masters. I know Hairmasters is owned by Regis. It seems they start so low on base salary. Some are higher and then reduce you after 90 days. Some are where if you don't meet your sales quota, you only get that base salary. I am a bit confused on what to do...For those of you who started out, what is the best advice to do..I need all I can get..thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Upperville, Virginia

85 months ago

Doesn't the school you go to give you help getting employment? How good are they at that? I want to work as soon as I get out of school.

85 months ago

Kathleen in Upperville, Virginia said: Doesn't the school you go to give you help getting employment? How good are they at that? I want to work as soon as I get out of school.

Yes,
they only point you to who is hiring. But I wanted to know who has experience with these different salons to help make a decision on which one truly is the best for those starting out as far as experience and base pay etc.

85 months ago

My suggestion to you is to apprentice if you can find a high end salon you will learn so much and you will make money dont start off in supercuts kind of place maybe the training is good but you need to find your own way of doing hair haircuts are the most important!!! learn all you can by someone good.
Apprentice Apprentice Apprentice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Thanks, I was debuting on going to either Regis or MasterCuts but I could look into another salon. I know of one who said you can somewhat apprentice but I know they only start you out on very little there.

trish in Salem, New Hampshire

85 months ago

KatMassachusetts said: Hello- I have recently been thinking of attending beauty school, an idea I've had for years. I am largely discouraged by family members because I am currently 48 years old with hardly any work experience other then being a homemaker and visual artist. Truthfully, I wouldn't want to get my hopes up over something that would only lead to embaressment and disappointment. I can't help but think that even if I did well in school that no one would give me the the chance in the employment world due to my age and inexperience. Is there any advice you could offer me?

Thank you!-Kathleen

there is nothing wrong with going back to school at 48, I went back to beauty school when I was 35, I graduated at 36, now I'm 37 and I say go for it !!! sincerly Trish Nizza.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nate Langstaff in Findlay, Ohio

85 months ago

Our family business is a Cosmetology School, and we have older women wanting a career change in their life. It's not an oddity. Personally, I don't blame them. I got bored at my old job of seven years. I made decent money, but wasn't happy anymore. I took it upon myself to make a major career change last year. It would have fallen under the average person's "disappointment," however I myself don't see it that way.

I'd much rather tried it and failed than be 55 and wondering what would've happen had I _not_ tried it. That would've torn me apart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Torrey in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

85 months ago

I'm 34 and considering going to Cosmetology school at night, part-time. There are several night programs offered in my area. I was really worried about the age thing too so this is really good to hear that there are other people out there like me. If I do go through with it I could start in January of 2008. I work full-time as an Administrative Assistant and will keep my job while in school. I'm thinking of going to Mitchell's Hairstyling Academy in Raleigh, NC. Thanks for the encouraging words to the others as they've helped me too!

Tim in Dallas, Texas

85 months ago

Don't worry about age I am a GUY and 40

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

trish in Salem, New Hampshire

85 months ago

thats what i thought too i went back to blaine beauty school at 35 i graduated at 36 i say you are never too old to learn sincerly trish nizza

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.