Why do i keep getting fired from salons

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Celticgrrl87 in New Haven, Connecticut

24 months ago

Hi, i really want everyone who reads to please try and comment ,, i graduated from hair school in april of 2012 i passed state boards and was so excited ... I got my first job as a assistant at a very upscale salon in westport ct.. I was very excited about it well that ended up being a bust after 3 days they fid me for no rhyme or reason i always had a great attitude and was on time plus the manager did it in a voicemail message and when i kept trying to call back to just speak with a manager they told me she w busy so basically i never got an answer that was all i was looking for.. So i was upset but kept trudging forward and got a job at a small family owned shop that did a lot of walk in hair cuts it wasnt my dream job but i figured i could get some exp. during my interview i made sure the owners knew i was green and fresh out of school and they agreed they would be willing to take that on and to give me help whereever i needed it . I started working there everything was going fine i even had the owner tell me i did a teenage girls hair cut better than she could have i needed work with fades and she would take the time to do demos on clients to show me she said my fades were alot better and i was improving then one day i got a call from her saying it wasnt going to work out because i wasnt fast enough and they felt i was still to inexperienced a they didnt have the extra time to help me , and also the other owner apparently like freaked out because i asked her the ratios for mixing paul mitchell color , which i had never used by the way and thought i just couldnt mix color which i can . So i was upset again i got-another job-assisting yet again determined to make it work i showed up on time everyday had a good attitude chatted with clients , i was proficent in my duties i mixed color for stylists did shampoos blowdrys etc they told me i needed a little work on my blowouts but they worked with me and said i improved yet a month later they said i wasnt meshing wi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

24 months ago

If we had a video of you (maybe u-tube) we could get a better perception of you. I have a Bachelor's in Business Administration (I do not have an HR job). These are the things for you to look at: Is your vocabulary and your personality mature, or do you come off like you're 15? Do you listen to what clients are telling you? Do you chat tooooo much - to everyone but your client? Do you take cell phone calls while you are working on a client?

You are just starting out. Of course your skills are green and you are slow. Give these questions above some thought. Try getting a job as a place like Super Cuts, Fantastic Sams. That's where most start out. It's a slower pace, lower end clientele. Or work somewhere you rent a booth. Just starting out, these are the places you should look. You might love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

24 months ago

You're gonna be fine, don't worry. And don't give up. You might send a letter to the first manager, asking them for feedback and that's all you want from them - that you would very much appreciate that. And assure them that you're totally up for constructive criticism and solely want to get better at what you love doing.

Don't give up. The fact that you are this concerned tells me you are gonna be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

24 months ago

You barely have experience. You've bounced around. You need to find a shop where you will be mentored. You need some place where you can hone your skills.

Maybe going to hair shows would help you. You could learn new techniques that might help you. Even better, you would make contacts who could help you.

Maybe you could become a products distributor. You would visit other shops and get to know owners who might give you a chance.

Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Srswsue in Midlothian, Virginia

24 months ago

You might not want to hear this but you might try a salon in JCPenneys,I know a few stylist that have started out their and have hands on experienced by other stylist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

celticgrrl87 in New Haven, Connecticut

23 months ago

thanks for everyone's comments,No I have good communication skills and am very friendly and outgoing. When i was at work i chit chatted with both clients and stylists as this is what the other assistants that worked there did...after going to school for a year for this getting good marks in school passing state boards and paying 18,000 for this education i just feel very disappointing that ive been fired this many times..it just doesn't make sense how a place can fire you for not even a real reason, i mean the second place i worked at at least had a reason because of my inexperience and pace that i understand... but to get fired as a assistant hairdresser making 9.00 an hour and doing basically meningeal tasks a 15 year old could do for no reason at all the first time then the second time because i didn't "mesh" with the salon i mean what the hell?? what kind of crap is that im sorry but a business should have to have a real reason to fire you it should be against the law to do what they did to me...i know in other countries you actually sign employment contracts and cant be let go for such a nonsense reason or no reason at all...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

celticgrrl87 in New Haven, Connecticut

23 months ago

and no i never have my cell phone anywhere near the floor, and i def listen to client and coworker needs and wants.. but none of that seems to matter im not giving up on hairdressing but at this point im really interested in esthetics and will probably go back for that as its much more laid back and you dont have to work as a estheics assistant for two years before they willever let you work on anybody like with hair...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

lila in San Rafael, California

20 months ago

Ya know it does not sound like you have done anything wrong at all. I have seen so much nonsense at jobs that I really don't think that you need to change. It is clear you are a helpful, sensitive person. I think the world had changed and I believe it is on another odd level that we don't have the answers to. That may sound weird but I have seen alot over the years. The one thing I have noticed in this world is that you have to be confident in who you are. This is hard because everyone of us has times or parts of us that are not confident. This is called being human but at this particular point in history that is not useful and disgarded. Keep up the good fight and believe in yourself no matter what.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

celticgrrl87@yahoo.com in Naugatuck, Connecticut

11 months ago

lila in San Rafael, California said: Ya know it does not sound like you have done anything wrong at all. I have seen so much nonsense at jobs that I really don't think that you need to change. It is clear you are a helpful, sensitive person. I think the world had changed and I believe it is on another odd level that we don't have the answers to. That may sound weird but I have seen alot over the years. The one thing I have noticed in this world is that you have to be confident in who you are. This is hard because everyone of us has times or parts of us that are not confident. This is called being human but at this particular point in history that is not useful and disgarded. Keep up the good fight and believe in yourself no matter what.

Thank for your positive response!! I know its been a long time since you posted this but your comments really resonated with me, I have to ask though what do you mean when you say the world has changed??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Hinds in Phoenix, Arizona

11 months ago

Keep working at it girlfriend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.