am i making the right decision about being a hairstylist?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 198)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nikki in San Diego, California

85 months ago

jennifer in San Diego, California said: Being a hairstylist can be very rewarding at times. It can also be very frustrating. I know many stylists who use working to pay their way through college. This could be an option for you.

I know others, that make enough that they don't need to go back or don't want to. Should you decide to finish becoming a stylist, I would sugest reading "Salon Psychology" by Dr. Lew Losoncy. It will teach you the people skills that it takes to be very sucessful in this industry. You can be the best colorist, cutter, permer, whatever - but the magic happens in the relationship between stylist and client.

I would also recomend that once you have a decent client base - (about $100-200 in request services per day) go into booth rental at a decent salon. It does no good to give away your services to a salon - except to build clients. I used to do about $4000 a month in services - but my paychecks were $700 every 2 weeks. That was the time to move.

Another sugestion - get a prepaid cellphone (write off) that you drop $20 on every couple months - and give this number out to your clients on every business card. So, when you change salons - they can call you if you are unable to inform them. Many salons lay claim to your clients and make you sign a waver - but should your clients (on their own) decide to follow you - there is nothing they can do.

I just got my license and don't have a clue where to begin in San Diego. Do you have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

motorcity racing in West Bloomfield, Michigan

85 months ago

Yo Lopez,

Do what you love, it does not matter what anyone else thinks.

What matters is having passion for what you do...this is what drives you to be the best you can be.

Hairstyling is super cool, it is about fashion, lifestyle, music, movies, etc. It changes peoples lives. You can also make a boat load of money.

If people don't get it...they really do not understand life.

Stay focused, learn how others build thier clientelle. Build your own myspace page, put that on your card as well. Start hosting parties at local clubs (either on your own or have your salon kick in), pass your cards out everywhere you go...gas stations, party stores, church, gym, real estate offices...heck you are in NYC, hook up the the naked cowboy and get on his website, do his hair, go to MTV and offer free haircuts to employees...use youtube,...you get the idea...go where your consumers are and give them a reason to visit your myspace account and/or salon. Use your creativity, not only in hair, but to market yourself.

Keep in mind, most people in life work to make money, feel trapped, and do not have a true passion for what they are doing.

You are one of the lucky ones who has a passion and it does not require a 4 year degree.

Put the blinders on...stay focused, and become the best hairstylist in NYC baby!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Erica in Charlotte,NC

81 months ago

wow! this site is great! i am also a new hairstylist. im apprenticing at a nice busy salon in charlotte,NC. i went to this salon right after school and my concern is that it is departmentalized. if i one day want to work for myself, or booth rent...do you think i need to learn the best of both worlds? i love every aspect of coloring and cutting, so having to choose bothers me, but it seems as though its the new trend! i hear departmentalizing is more for benefiting the salon rather than making a hair stylist wealthy. any comments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Rancho Cucamonga, California

78 months ago

Alejandra,
I LOVE my job as a hairstylist. I am successful because of the love I have for it.
Whatever you're career, you can make tons of money if you have passion.I could be a CEO of a company making hundreds of thousands and be miserable. You can make it in this industry if you love what you do. Don't get stuck in those shops that pay you $8.00 and hour for very long either,you would be waisting you're time.Build up a clientèle and move on.Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Las Vegas, Nevada

78 months ago

Hey!! I work in Las Vegas as a medical biller.but i have my styist license and want to get back into it,my dream has always been to OWN my own hair salon...but i got stuck in the 9-5 job when i moved here and workin from paycheck to paycheck this is so miserable i have so much creativity and potential in hair it's gonna cost me $325.00 to get my NEVADA license and i don't know where that's gonna come from please advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Saradipity in San Diego, California

78 months ago

Alejandra lopez in Brooklyn, New York said: ive graduted from beauty school about a year ago. and have been working as an assitant for about a year and half its a hard job being an assistant in an upscale salon in nyc, but i feel like im learning a lot. I jus recently started studying to take my exams, but every now and then i cant help but to question if im making the right decision. I love doing hair, and i love the respect you get from your clients. its just when i tell everybody else my profession they never get it. they always say how im so young and i should get back into college. are they right?? some poeple love the idea of me being a hairsytlist.. my mom for example pushed me so hard, if i go back to school i dont even know what i would want to do. it takes time to become a really successful hairstylist. a lot of people who attended college or whatever think its a stupid job. how can i prove them wrong?? i dont know what to do.

If this is what you want to do, then do it.

I went to college for business rather than fashion design (which I wanted to do at the time but was talked out of). Then I started a career in banking. I'm 27 years old, and Assistant Vice President, making $63k a year, and I am applyign to costmetology school. It's somethign I want to do and I knwo that doing what you want is worth its weight in gold. My family understands it mroe now that I took the path they saw fit for me and still decided to do somethgin more creative.

Have confidence in yourself and no one else's opinion will matter :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Virginia Beach, Virginia

78 months ago

Alejandra lopez in Brooklyn, New York said: ive graduted from beauty school about a year ago. and have been working as an assitant for about a year and half its a hard job being an assistant in an upscale salon in nyc, but i feel like im learning a lot. I jus recently started studying to take my exams, but every now and then i cant help but to question if im making the right decision. I love doing hair, and i love the respect you get from your clients. its just when i tell everybody else my profession they never get it. they always say how im so young and i should get back into college. are they right?? some poeple love the idea of me being a hairsytlist.. my mom for example pushed me so hard, if i go back to school i dont even know what i would want to do. it takes time to become a really successful hairstylist. a lot of people who attended college or whatever think its a stupid job. how can i prove them wrong?? i dont know what to do.

If you love doing hair, I don't see why you asking other people about your future career? You need to follow your gut and go for it, you have to believe in yourself, if you love doing hair go for it! I would start with a small company and get paid with the commission split and once you build enough clientels you can rent a booth that way you get to keep most of your money! I wish you the best and I hope this will help you to decide if you really want to do hair or go for something else. Jennifer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

78 months ago

Saradipity in San Diego, California said: If this is what you want to do, then do it.

I went to college for business rather than fashion design (which I wanted to do at the time but was talked out of). Then I started a career in banking. I'm 27 years old, and Assistant Vice President, making $63k a year, and I am applyign to costmetology school. It's somethign I want to do and I knwo that doing what you want is worth its weight in gold. My family understands it mroe now that I took the path they saw fit for me and still decided to do somethgin more creative.

Have confidence in yourself and no one else's opinion will matter :-)

Wow, you are really stepping out on faith. Do you not like your career as an Assistant Vice President? I'm in the same situation also. I just graduated from college and my family want me to go into Education because they feel that there are a lot of job openings, but I want to do something in Fashion or something creative because I have a lot of creative gifts. I just want to make the right decision, so I won't be miserable going to work everyday. How did you feel going to work in banking and you have creative gifts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

There's nothing wrong with doing both. You can go back to college and obtain a degree just to say that you have one. I have a degree, and I'm thinking about doing something totally different. I just went to college, to say that I have a degree. Just in case if you get tired of doing hair, you can always fall back on the education that you have and do something different. It never hurts to obtain all the education that you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Lovin it in PA said: My father told me once "Most of us will have to work our entire lives so select a career or something you enjoy,love,and have a passion for...if you don't you will be miserable. Kudos to you Jen !

Thanks for that inspiration from your father.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Ruskin, Florida

78 months ago

Saradipity-

I too was in management, working in the automobile loan industry for 12 years . I really enjoyed the work but hated the corporate structure. I am a very focused person, whether it be doing something creative or structured. It bothers me to see so many people in positions that contribute nothing or worse still, create more problems than solutions. In addition, my creative nature was completely snuffed out.

All my life I had an interest in hair and make-up. I closely watched every hair stylist that has ever cut my hair. I do an excellent job of cutting hair (women or men) having not had any formal training.

My concern was always what people would think. It didn't seem like a very prestigious career move nor would it initially pay what I have previously earned.

One thing that kept me from going to cosmo school was the schedule. I can't tell you how many times I called different schools throughout my life to check on class schedules. I could never manage my commitments around the schedule. My schedule changed because my Hubby told I could stay home and go to school full-time.

So last year I was back in college working toward a degree in IT with a focus on Database Design. I really enjoyed it but again realized that I didn't want to work in a corporate environment nor did I want to freelance full-time. I would never see the world outside of my home office. However, I did realize that designing and creating databases is another way of expressing my creative side. That is what had previously been snuffed.

I realized one day when I went to get my hair cut, I could actually be in cosmo school if I wanted since I didn't have the scheduling issues anymore. So, I start classes next Monday. I am so excited. I have found every site possible on the internet to get information. I have read almost all of my text book already. I can't wait!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Curly in Vegas

78 months ago

Sounds like a scam company..the only thing you are extending is the bulge in your purse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

candi cooper in Winnetka, California said: Yes It has been a terrific career for me my whole entire life. If you love doing hair you will be successful. Just now I am semi retired and teaching after 23 years! Here is my new career in hair:

Private Hair Extension Classes! Come get certified as a professional Extensionist. I teach privately one on one all Hair Extension applications. I can instruct you any method you choose. Train for a day or as long as you need. My career has spanned the last 23 years, being one of the pioneers in this field, I have done it all! I have a private studio in Chatsworth,CA U.S.A. If you are out of town, accommodations can be made for you. You don't need a cosmetologist license to train or get certified. I am a Certified instructor with "Connect -2-Hair". Follow this link for more info: www.connect-2-hair.com Learn, grow and share the beauty that only you can create! Consultations are free..... Peace, Candi (818) 992-6657 Visa & M.C. accepted. (818) 992-6657

I thought you had to have a cosmetologist license in order to do extensions or am I wrong about that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

candi cooper in Winnetka, California said: Yes It has been a terrific career for me my whole entire life. If you love doing hair you will be successful. Just now I am semi retired and teaching after 23 years! Here is my new career in hair:

Private Hair Extension Classes! Come get certified as a professional Extensionist. I teach privately one on one all Hair Extension applications. I can instruct you any method you choose. Train for a day or as long as you need. My career has spanned the last 23 years, being one of the pioneers in this field, I have done it all! I have a private studio in Chatsworth,CA U.S.A. If you are out of town, accommodations can be made for you. You don't need a cosmetologist license to train or get certified. I am a Certified instructor with "Connect -2-Hair". Follow this link for more info: www.connect-2-hair.com Learn, grow and share the beauty that only you can create! Consultations are free..... Peace, Candi (818) 992-6657 Visa & M.C. accepted. (818) 992-6657

Also, your website is in the UK. How are you doing training in California?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Curly in Vegas

78 months ago

HMMMMM..Sounds like you are on to something 2Sexy??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca Owens in Flowery Branch, Georgia

76 months ago

I'm starting School for Cosmetology September 29th. Everyone I know tells me I should be a nurse, mainly because I'm a caregiver to senior citizens, and yes I do enjoy helping them but I've wanted to do hair since I was in 8th Grade. I know I would make a great medical caregiver, but I would make an AMAZING hair stylist, because I'm a perfectionist, and LOVE LOVE LOVE to make people beautiful. I love make up and one day I WILL do hair and makeup for the designers on a runway.

If your passion is great enough, you will do amazing things and people WILL love you and they will LOVE to have you do their hair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

One thing about the hair industry, there are not any benefits as far as insurance, paid vacations, etc. There is also a lot of long hours of standing on your feet, and you can barely take off because that is your only source of income. If you take off too many days, your customers might go to someone else. Hair doing is a fickle business, because anyone can easily go to another hair stylist if they get tired of you or just want to save money and do their hair at the house. Anyway, to each it's own and good luck! Not that I'm discouraging anyone from doing hair, but you have to think of those things if you are trying to raise a family and plan for a retirement and having health insurance. Also, in this economy are people actually going to hair stylists as much? Most people are doing their hair at the house. Those are some things to think about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Adrienne in Sarasota, Florida

76 months ago

Well, I think you may be mistaken about health insurance and benefits. Some salons (granted chain salons) offer great benefit packages and even some very high end salons around here do as well. I am a mother of three children and I have been in and out of college for the past ten years unsure of "what I want to be when I grow up". I have done endless research on careers and the career of a hair stylist and, I got to tell ya, it looks awesome to me. I love beauty, I love fashion. My love in life is often "to seek that which is beautiful". I cut my daughters hair and I wanted to do more and more. I want to learn everything I can. Most people I speak with tell me their is a lot of money to be made in the hair industry. It is always changing and growing. People will get their hair done even when times are tough, we still need to feel good; its therapy.
As a mom, we can make our own hours and work as much or as little as we want. I also want to give to our community and work with shelters and foster care organizations helping woman and men get on their feet and children feel good about themselves. I want to make money, but it is not the most important thing to me. Luckly, I am married and I would help with the financial burden, but it is not mine alone. If it is your to carry, then you may want to consider something else in addition to building your client base. Then when you can just do hair, that is what yo will do. I am going to attend a school in February. Best of luck to all of you and I am so glad to see that this is a burning desire in alot of us, at any age!
Oh yeah......two words..SUPPORT HOSE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

^^^ The ones that make a lot of money in the hair industry are working very long hours standing on their feet. If they don't work the long hours, they don't get the pay. The ones that are making up in the millions are celebrity stylists, and they might not have to work those long hours but they have to be at the celebrity's beck and call. I know of a hair stylist that is making about 80,000 a year, and she is working ALL the time. Also, she has 4 children and she is married, but she is the bread winner bringing in most of the income. Her children are all young in age. She spends most of her day in the salon, and that has to be hard being a mother of 4 and not having time to spend with your children. Anyway, my reason for saying all of this is that those who want to make close to 6 figures in the hair industry are going to have to work their butts off. Working long hours and being there whenever the client needs their hair done. Yeah, you might be able to make your own schedule, but still your schedule will be around your clients. You have to cater to when they get off of work and so on. So you actually don't have a schedule, your schedule is your client's schedule. If anyone has an ounce of laziness, I would suggest them to become a hair stylist. I know of some lazy hair stylist, that don't want to half way work and they are NOT the ones bringing in 80,000 a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Edit above: I would suggest them NOT to become a hair stylist if they are lazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

I was not talking about LAZY hairstylists simply because they choose to work 9-3, that is their choice. They can give the best service in those hours and not be deemed LAZY. it depends on what your agenda is. If that's what I chose to do, than that will be what I do. If I am good enough, I will have clients. Of course Saturday is a necessary day to work. As with any CAREER the more you put into it the more you will get out of it. Anyone wanting to do hair has a love of doing hair, so it may be of little significance how many hours they are putting in if they love being there. If your friend hates what she's doing ( and is a mother of four) I'm sure she could tell her clients when she is available, and then it is a matter of prioritzing one's life. For me family would come first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

^^^ You didn't understand my post. I wasn't referencing anyone as LAZY that worked a typical 9-3. I was referencing those in general who think they are going to make 6 figures and constantly turn down customers and don't want to half way work. In order to be successful as a hair stylist, you must have a HUGE clientele and you have to WORK those long hours to please the customers and keep them. Also, your clientele will not come over night. The lady that I was talking about that makes 80,000 she has been doing hair since she graduated from high school and she is now in her 30's. So it took her years to grow that clientele. So before anyone makes big money with doing hair, they have to pay their dues and depending on your skills it might be a long time. Also, I don't know how well Caucasian’s make in the hair industry, but African American stylists tend to make the most. For one thing, African American women tend to get their hair done once a week versus Caucasian women who get their hair cut and colored maybe once every 2-3 months. So that plays in the factor also of how much you will make. I would suggest any stylist to cater to ALL types of customers if you want money to come in constantly. White stylists need to know how to do black hair also, that way they can be versatile. Yeah, we all know that family should come first but if you want to be the one making the 6 figures in the hair industry, you better be realistic and know that you will have to work your butt off to make it. Those are some things people need to think about before they go in that industry. If everyone was making big money in hair, everyone would be running to cosmetology school. So obviously not everyone is making the big dollars and there is a secret to those who are. The secret is, they are working the long hours and hustling and staying on top of their skills. With any career there are cons, and people need to research all facets and ask those who are in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Well stated. I understand what your saying, and it's good to shed light on misconceptions. Sorry I misunderstood your angle.
I hope that you find yor way in the fashion/beauty industry as you mentioned. I also hope hurricaine Gustav stays clear of you and your loved ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

^^^ Thanks and same to you. Also, I prayed for that hurricane Gustav to be dissipated so it will just be a little rain. No need to worry! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alicia in Pasadena, Maryland

75 months ago

If you have a great clientelle and are working 9-3 and charging higher prices you will make money. They will come to you. Yes sometimes they try to save money and go to a cheaper place and do their color at home, but once their shape is gone and the hair is starting to get dry and brassy they come back. Marketing, marketing, marketing. Yes it takes talent to be a good hairstylistbut I believe confidence sells your skill just as much as the skills themselves. Ive worked in salons where the most compitant stylist wasnt booked and the girl or guy with tons of confidence are booked non stop..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Las Vegas, Nevada

75 months ago

Angela in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hey!! I work in Las Vegas as a medical biller.but i have my styist license and want to get back into it,my dream has always been to OWN my own hair salon...but i got stuck in the 9-5 job when i moved here and workin from paycheck to paycheck this is so miserable i have so much creativity and potential in hair it's gonna cost me $325.00 to get my NEVADA license and i don't know where that's gonna come from please advise.

Hey Angela,

I just moved here myself...well actually i've been here for almost 2 years but i quit my casino job and went back home to WA to finish my course and get my license. I am waitin on getting my WA license to get sent to me so i could change it to NV's..but why is it costing you $325...i thought it was like $35.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Alicia in Pasadena, Maryland said: If you have a great clientelle and are working 9-3 and charging higher prices you will make money. They will come to you. Yes sometimes they try to save money and go to a cheaper place and do their color at home, but once their shape is gone and the hair is starting to get dry and brassy they come back. Marketing, marketing, marketing. Yes it takes talent to be a good hairstylistbut I believe confidence sells your skill just as much as the skills themselves. Ive worked in salons where the most compitant stylist wasnt booked and the girl or guy with tons of confidence are booked non stop..

Yeah, there is a lot of money that a person can make in the hair industry if they are willing to work HARD and be the best at their talent. So many hair stylists don't care, and just want to get by, by doing the bare minimum. You have to have the desire to succeed in this business, in order to make the big money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gibby Mendoza in Porterville, California

75 months ago

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: Yeah, there is a lot of money that a person can make in the hair industry if they are willing to work HARD and be the best at their talent. So many hair stylists don't care, and just want to get by, by doing the bare minimum. You have to have the desire to succeed in this business, in order to make the big money.

I want to become a hairstylist, but does it matter what school I attend. I want to attend Paul Mitchell(fresno,ca) but its very expensive, should I consider estees(visalia,ca) or fredrico's(fresno, ca).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Gibby Mendoza in Porterville, California said: I want to become a hairstylist, but does it matter what school I attend. I want to attend Paul Mitchell(fresno,ca) but its very expensive, should I consider estees(visalia,ca) or fredrico's(fresno, ca).

I'm not a hair stylist, but I would suggest you to go to a local beauty school in your area and afterwards go to a Paul Mitchell program to learn advanced skills such as cutting and coloring. I'm sure the Paul Mitchell school is much higher than the other schools in your area. The key is to just learn the basics from a regular cosmetology school and get your license and then advance by taking classes at a place like Paul Mitchell or Vidal Sassoon. Try not to get in as much debt as possible. Just spend money on classes to advance your skills after cosmetology school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

CONTINUED.... By the way, I thought about attending Cosmetology school but I don't want to pay out a lot in tution because I already have student loans from attending school. Now if you don't have any other student loans and you want to attend Paul Mitchell, then I say go for it. If you do have other loans, then I would suggest you to find a cheaper school in your area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I'm not a hair stylist, but I would suggest you to go to a local beauty school in your area and afterwards go to a Paul Mitchell program to learn advanced skills such as cutting and coloring. I'm sure the Paul Mitchell school is much higher than the other schools in your area. The key is to just learn the basics from a regular cosmetology school and get your license and then advance by taking classes at a place like Paul Mitchell or Vidal Sassoon. Try not to get in as much debt as possible. Just spend money on classes to advance your skills after cosmetology school.

Yes! I asked around some of the better, busier salons in my area and their comments were the same. Get your license and do some assisting. They will prefer you assist straight out of school anyway, regardless of where you received your training. The trade school in my area is about 10-12,000 less expensive then Aveda or some of the other fashion/cosmo schools. Because i too have college loans and kids, I need to be more frugal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Drewin in Springfield, Virginia

74 months ago

I just found this site and I love it. I am in the same boat as almost all of you. Went to college, got a degree in psych, went to work in the mental health field in a hospital. At the same time I went to hair school, did both, BUT always felt like my peers didn't or would not respect my career choice. LOW AND BEHOLD, all the nurses I work with both RNs and LPNs said I was waisting my time not doing hair full time. It's tough to make others understand your passions or loves, BUT, the point is they are yours and yours alone. The nay sayers will continue to live their lives doing what they do, and you will go on wondering if you made the right choice. The interesting thing that I have found working in the hair business is ALL MY CLIENTS do is complain about THEIR JOBS, these complaints come from CEOs, Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, etc... They all say they WISH they could be doing something they loved. It's very interesting how we all look at each other and think that the grass grows greener on the other side. I also agree with all the other posters, there is GREAT money to be had working in the beauty industry, IF YOU WANT IT... You can go to Law School and work as a public defender, and make $45 to $50 grand a year, OR you can go into the private sector and make as much as you want to bill... You can be a stylist and make little, or you can get a client book so thick your billed out for months in advance. Open a salon of your own and never touch another head of hair as long as you live, I bet the nay sayers have NOTHING to say when you own your own business. The sky is the limit, once you have that skill, NO ONE can take it from you, and people ALWAYS want a good hairstylist in their life!! Read the book Hair Heros, you will soon see WE in this business are more respected than you may think!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Drewin,

Are you doing hair full time now? I have finally found a creative job that I have right now, but I could not decide between nursing or hair school as my second career choice. I have a lot of free time with the job that I have now, that I could easily pursue another career on the side. I find that I am really creative, and I"m not sure if nursing is the right path to go on. It seems like all the nurses HATE their job. You only find a few that actually enjoy nursing. So I think I have finally reached an answer by going to all of these Indeed forums. Even though I have a a natural talent for doing hair, I'm not sure if I'm "passionate" about it. So I guess with some more soul searching, I will find the right creative job for me. Do you feel like you are "passionate" about doing hair?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Miss in Laurel, Mississippi

74 months ago

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: Thanks for that inspiration from your father.

2Sexy..... Go for it.. you will have the best of both worlds by going to beauty school and having the business background...I own an Aveda Lifestyle Salon in Hattiesburg.... I love the business side of it...I have always been behind the chair but lately I have this passion for the actual business side.... Good for you for following your dreams... If I can help you in anyway call me or drop by.

Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Miss Miss in Laurel, Mississippi said: 2Sexy..... Go for it.. you will have the best of both worlds by going to beauty school and having the business background...I own an Aveda Lifestyle Salon in Hattiesburg.... I love the business side of it...I have always been behind the chair but lately I have this passion for the actual business side.... Good for you for following your dreams... If I can help you in anyway call me or drop by.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa! How did you come about owning an Aveda salon? Is that a franchise? There aren't that many Aveda salons up this way, they used to have one in the Northpark mall in Ridgeland, but I think they closed it. It used to be an Aveda store where you could purchase the products. I'm not sure though, it still might be open because I haven't looked for it in the mall in a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TeDara in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

2 sexy ,

In time you will decide what you really want to do , but first I would like to share this quote.." do not focus on the reward , but thus the goal set" Focusing on your creative career without focusing on the rewards so quickly , will free your mind enough for you to decide exactly what you want to do .. Ask yourself this..If someone offered you an unlimited annual salary and allowed you to choose any occupation , what would it be?? the answer to that questions is what you should be doing regardless, because it is ultimately your destiny..The hair business is challenging , but what occupation is so easy that at the end of the week you aren't the least bit burned out...Remember that God brings you to it..to bring you through it! Good Luck in your decision..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Jay

74 months ago

If Hair is your passion then stick with it. You can always go 2 school. I'm a hair stylist & a part-time student. No One can determine your success but you... Life is so much easier when you love what you do. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

TeDara in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania said: 2 sexy ,

In time you will decide what you really want to do , but first I would like to share this quote.." do not focus on the reward , but thus the goal set" Focusing on your creative career without focusing on the rewards so quickly , will free your mind enough for you to decide exactly what you want to do .. Ask yourself this..If someone offered you an unlimited annual salary and allowed you to choose any occupation , what would it be?? the answer to that questions is what you should be doing regardless, because it is ultimately your destiny..The hair business is challenging , but what occupation is so easy that at the end of the week you aren't the least bit burned out...Remember that God brings you to it..to bring you through it! Good Luck in your decision..

The reason why I was focusing on the rewards of a career is because I have bills to pay. LOL I know that there is a lot of potential to make money in the hair industry, but in the meantime I have bills such as student loans, credit cards, etc. The job that I'm in now, is to pay the bills and sow seed such as tithes and offering. I understand exactly what you mean by focusing on the long term goals, but there is also a present that you have to plan for and consider. Yet, thanks for giving me the advice, because that is true that you need to find a career that if someone offered an annual unlimited salary you would enjoy doing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

elle in Lawrenceville, Georgia

73 months ago

I have been a hairdresser for ten years. When I decided to go into this bussiness everyone told me I was crazy. I should get in to a better feild go to college ect. I love what I do. I make great money. I opened a salon 2 years ago and am doing great. My sister who went to college has over 60k in student loans she has to pay back makes a lot less than I do and hates her job. My best advice is do what makes you happy. If you love what you do you will always be sucessfull.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TeDara in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

elle in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I have been a hairdresser for ten years. When I decided to go into this bussiness everyone told me I was crazy. I should get in to a better feild go to college ect. I love what I do. I make great money. I opened a salon 2 years ago and am doing great. My sister who went to college has over 60k in student loans she has to pay back makes a lot less than I do and hates her job. My best advice is do what makes you happy. If you love what you do you will always be sucessfull.

Elle said it best ..don't do what people expect of you , dare to be different, unique..That's my philosophy. If GOD wanted us all to be the same, we would all look the same , act the same , etc..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I love what you say about following a passion. My only concern is, as a 30 year old and mother, how can I plan for retirement and other securities that can be offered with other careers? Are there any woman in their 50's doing hair and loving while preparing for retirement someday?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Byrdie

73 months ago

elle in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: I have been a hairdresser for ten years. When I decided to go into this bussiness everyone told me I was crazy. I should get in to a better feild go to college ect. I love what I do. I make great money. I opened a salon 2 years ago and am doing great. My sister who went to college has over 60k in student loans she has to pay back makes a lot less than I do and hates her job. My best advice is do what makes you happy. If you love what you do you will always be sucessfull.

I am checking into this field for my daughter...what is the average cost of cosmetology schools? I know if you go to a high class place like Paul Mitchell or Aveda it is considerably more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

foxyannie24 in Oreland, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

Work hard and gets lots of education. And LISTEN to what more experienced stylists teach you.
I have been a stylist for less than 5 years and make $50,000 a year, plus about $12,000 in tips. I work less than 37 hours, and 4 days a week. Each year I am a stylist, my income rises...
One of my colleagues works less than 26 hours weekly on a 3 day work week. She makes about $65,000 a year, plus about $16,000 in tips.
This is just outside Philadelphia.
This is a GOOD JOB. Just work hard and LISTEN and LEARN. BE PROFESSIONAL and have GREAT client service. Be patient. It takes AT LEAST a year to build a client base, and that is after apprenticing for about a year. The first few years are tough, but they pay off and only get better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Los Angeles, California

71 months ago

LOVE THIS SITE!! So, I'm one of those people considering a lifestyle/career change... AND at the top of my list is becoming a hairstylist. BUT, I feel a little overwhelmed when I look at different schools (Aveda, Paul Mitchell, Toni and Guy, local JC's etc) and really not sure the best and most cost effective direction to take. Any advice?? I do have a big reservation... I'm 30. Yep, just turned the big 3-0. Maybe I'm just insecure about it, but I'm wondering if I'm too old to really start in this profession and to become successful at it. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice anyone is willing to give me. HELP!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

TeDara in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

Liz in Los Angeles, California said: LOVE THIS SITE!! So, I'm one of those people considering a lifestyle/career change... AND at the top of my list is becoming a hairstylist. BUT, I feel a little overwhelmed when I look at different schools (Aveda, Paul Mitchell, Toni and Guy, local JC's etc) and really not sure the best and most cost effective direction to take. Any advice?? I do have a big reservation... I'm 30. Yep, just turned the big 3-0. Maybe I'm just insecure about it, but I'm wondering if I'm too old to really start in this profession and to become successful at it. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice anyone is willing to give me. HELP!!

I think you should go for it , being a hairstylist has limitless opportunities connected to it , and of anything allows you to age gracefully and love what you do . If you never do it , you will never fulfill the curiosity of the field , and you make think about it forever. Plus it is a very upbeat position , that will keep you on your own personal game with hair and make uo , and above all , you are mature enough to make investments , save money , and open a business as opposed to some younger men and women who enter the field and make many mistakes because they are unsure. So I say go for it , while you are 30 years young , You should LOVE what you do , The end decision is yours , but I wish you much luck!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

foxyannie24 in Mount Holly, New Jersey

71 months ago

I went to an Aveda school and I truly believe that helped me achieve my goals faster. We learned how to be professional, we learned how important being on time was, we learned how to conduct ourselves in a more "high-end" environment. We also took numerous advanced education classes that I doubt we would have gotten to experience in a smaller school. Some of our teachers were Aveda Platform Artists - it doesn't get much better than that! It is true that you learn SO much out of school, and in the actual salon, but I really feel I got a HUGE head start by going to Aveda.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Liz in Los Angeles, California said: Thank you for your words of encouragment. I really appreciate it!! I think that you're right about this being a big "what if" in my life if I don't go for it. Do you have any advice as far as my education is concerned? I'm really not sure what direction to take; expensive school (Aveda and Paul Mitchell) or just your basic school that is more affordable. Does is really matter where I go? At this point, my goal would be to work at a higher end salon. I know that talent and hard work are most important, but I'm wondering which school will help me get there faster... what do you think??

I am going to an Aveda Institute in February in Philadelphia, And I have heard nothing but great things about it. When I actually went there to do my paperwork , it was GREAT!! very professionsl, it looked like a high end salon itself!! The teachers are nice , and I have heard some say that they are kind of strict but that it payed off because they were taught a lot!! They use earth friendly high end products for hair and skin care , and as a studen you have many opportunities to work @ an affiliated Aveda Salon World wide. I think you would like Aveda , it seemslike a mature atmosphere , and great education, ( although they are pricey, my tuition is 17,775 but was covered mostly by aid) but I think you will still like Aveda, Do some reasearch on your local Aveda Institute so you can get an idea of what everyone is talking about :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

foxyannie24 in Mount Holly, New Jersey said: I went to an Aveda school and I truly believe that helped me achieve my goals faster. We learned how to be professional, we learned how important being on time was, we learned how to conduct ourselves in a more "high-end" environment. We also took numerous advanced education classes that I doubt we would have gotten to experience in a smaller school. Some of our teachers were Aveda Platform Artists - it doesn't get much better than that! It is true that you learn SO much out of school, and in the actual salon, but I really feel I got a HUGE head start by going to Aveda.

Hello, I am attending an Aveda school in Feb , How was the job placement , did they assist with finding a good job? also what was the learning like , did you have a lot of books?? I saw the kit that you get the first day of school , it looked like a lot!! How was your experience ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

foxyannie24 in Mount Holly, New Jersey

71 months ago

I LOVED LOVED my Aveda school. I went to Brown Aveda Institute in Ohio.
IF you are planning to work in the general area that your school is in, then the job placement is great. We had a HUGE job fair where all the higher-end salons came to our school, talked to us, and we were able to get a lot of information. I live in Philadelphia... but it was super easy for me to find a job at a great salon. We had a lot of books, yes haha. The kit they give you is huge...pretty good tools as well. I still love my texturizing shears I got from school - 5 years later! The Aveda school I went to was very strict and really turned you into a professional. Some of the girls hated that it was so strict with being on time, "no sitting" while on the floor, and certain rules... but that's the real world! If you want to make good money, you have to be a professional! The people who own the school - the Brown's - also own two salons called Ladies & Gentlemen. One of the salons is next door to the school and in your final term they have an internship at the salon if your grades are good. The internship was AMAZING. We got to work with artists who have won multiple awards for Aveda, and teach at all of Aveda's big shows. AMAZING for a cosmetology student!! Now I know all Aveda schools run on pretty much the same curriculum - but I'm sure everyone has a different experience. I loved my school and I rave about it to everyone. They were so helpful and it was the kind of place that I could call 10 years down the road and ask for career advice, or advice on owning my own salon and they'd be happy to help with whatever they could. LOVVVVED it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

WOW it sounds like you had a pretty awesome experience , I hope my experience is that great , or @ least close..lol, But I am SOOOO excited , The staff seems very friendly, but they also seem like they mean business , And they had a huge wall of Job openings from really great salons that I snuck a peek @ during the tour. Your experience was excellent though!! Do they prepare you for business ownership as well ? I'm glad to see that the education is ultimately worth the Moolah!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.