apprenticeship in cosmetology

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 103)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

amyers in Mcdonough, Georgia

69 months ago

Does anyone know of anyone in the Henry/Clayton county GA area that does apprenticing for Cosmetology?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

godschild in Decatur, Georgia

69 months ago

Try looking in the yellow pages for beauty salons in these areas which have a master stylist on board that is willing to take you on and teach you the ropes. In most cases the book work is generally up to you unless they happen to be very dedicated and actually have the time to teach you the theory portion (keeping it real). Also research salons in these areas that classify themselves as beauty schools. You also might want to consider neighboring counties that are not to far out of the way. Try the Dekalb County/Stone Mountain area, in particular call C&F Equipment/Salon/School on Memorial Drive. They are a good resource and may be able to assist you w/ more information. Also consider just going straight for it and enrolling in beauty school; you may be eligible for scholarships, financial aid, and childcare because doing an apprntcshp. will double your time. Research HOPE scholarships and CAPS for childcare if this applies. Be blessed and don't give up, keep moving forward because you can do it!!! You take one step and he'll take two. Praying 4U in Decatur!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

makinmoves in Duluth, Georgia

67 months ago

Does anyone know of any apprentice programs for cosmetology in the gwinnett area? I have not worked in a salon for many years, but it is a dream i want to pursue. I'm having a hard time getting started and hoping someone could lead me in the right directions. Thanks to any responses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

godschild in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

Forgot one thing, you will also need to register with the Ga licensing board as an apprentice (there is a fee???)Check out the above website. Better yet, call them for additional info. I give you fair warning that they are not the nicest/professional set of people you want to meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

godschild in Atlanta, Georgia said: Forgot one thing, you will also need to register with the Ga licensing board as an apprentice (there is a fee???)Check out the above website. Better yet, call them for additional info. I give you fair warning that they are not the nicest/professional set of people you want to meet.

Thank you sooo much for response. You mentioned that you obtained your license through an apprenticeship, but you don't sound like your a big fan. What was your experience like? I have researched some websites and found ways to obtain any theory knowledge i may need to know. Are their any textbooks u recommend? I will take some time off next week and totally devote myself to getting some contacts. I just can't afford school right now. And i don't want to take out ANYMORE loans, I think this is the next best thing. But, I would like to hear more about your experience. And thanks again for the response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

godschild in Decatur, Georgia said: Try looking in the yellow pages for beauty salons in these areas which have a master stylist on board that is willing to take you on and teach you the ropes. In most cases the book work is generally up to you unless they happen to be very dedicated and actually have the time to teach you the theory portion (keeping it real). Also research salons in these areas that classify themselves as beauty schools. You also might want to consider neighboring counties that are not to far out of the way. Try the Dekalb County/Stone Mountain area, in particular call C&F Equipment/Salon/School on Memorial Drive. They are a good resource and may be able to assist you w/ more information. Also consider just going straight for it and enrolling in beauty school; you may be eligible for scholarships, financial aid, and childcare because doing an apprntcshp. will double your time. Research HOPE scholarships and CAPS for childcare if this applies. Be blessed and don't give up, keep moving forward because you can do it!!! You take one step and he'll take two. Praying 4U in Decatur!

I was wondering if you knew anymore info about CAPS? And what beauty schools offer daycare?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathi diva in Lawrenceville, Georgia

66 months ago

makinmoves in Duluth, Georgia said: Does anyone know of any apprentice programs for cosmetology in the gwinnett area? I have not worked in a salon for many years, but it is a dream i want to pursue. I'm having a hard time getting started and hoping someone could lead me in the right directions. Thanks to any responses.

I too am looking for an apprenticeship program. I am also in the Duluth area. I have been told to try some of the chain beauty salons. I think it may be easier to attend an easy school such as GIC because I have heard of stories of people taking advantage of their apprentice and making them do their dirty work. I don't know, I guess I will keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

meteball in Canton, Georgia

66 months ago

godschild in Atlanta, Georgia said: Apprenticeship programs...are merely opportunities for those who are interested in the cosmetology field to work in a licensed salon under a Master Cosmetologist (notice I said licensed salon/licensed Master Cosmetologist).

Godschild in Atlanta, I have been Apprenticing for 3 1/2 yrs. I now have completed my hours and need someone who could actually give me an hands-on approach for state board. If you know such a one please let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SLPASEK in Woodstock, Georgia

65 months ago

I was looking into an apprenticeship also in the Kennesaw/Acworth/Dallas area and I have an appointment set up to speak with a master cosmetologist next week. I actually am a step ahead of others about the text book stuff because I already have a textbook and workbook with a practice exam with answers to study. (a relative just graduated beauty school) So I got a little lucky with that. I was wondering if there were any costs to be an apprentice? I would imagine there would be!? I understand that I may need to purchase my own tools and such. What other costs may there be? Thanks for any info...this forum has been quite helpful as I'm looking for childcare help as well! :) Thanks

For anyone else looking into this or school, I was told by my relative that going from school to a salon is a whole new world! The color lines are all different so you have to learn them all over and the experience of being in a salon being an apprentice gets your foot in the door with clients and the knowledge. I may be wrong just sharing what I heard! Good Luck to everyone else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

godschild in Decatur, Georgia

65 months ago

Check with your local county Dept. of Family and Children Services (DFACS)regarding childcare fund availability. You will need to be able to verify at least 30 hrs of employment if single and requirements vary if you are married. You'll need to check with a caseworker about school/continuing education guidelines. Also, don't forget that you'll need to be registered with the GA State Board of Cosmetology when working in-salon under the tutelage of a Master Cosmetologist. The board will issue you a student apprenticeship license; there is a fee required. Praying all works well for you! Keep us posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

crazy4curls in atlanta, Georgia

62 months ago

Hi I am new to the blogging thing. Like the others I was seeing if anyone knew of any salon in the Atlanta area that is known for taking on apprenticeships? I have and absolute passion and desire to get in the hair industry. I have tried cold calling and walk-ins and its "NO" all day long. there has been a lot of good advice on here but if anyone knows somebody or any info to help please let me know. thank you in advance and it is greatly appreciated!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

i was doing some research and thought of another question- can you become a hairstylist just by completing an apprenticeship or do you also have to go to college as well? please help me.

-Kelly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

makinmoves in Lawrenceville, Georgia

62 months ago

@crazy4curls....I have found some salons online where u can apply you can apply for apprenticeship, like u would apply for a job. I found it easier to just talk with everyone u know and talk to their stylists. I have some friends who talked with their stylists and two of them are willing to meet with me. So I guess my advice is to meet someone through association. Hope it works out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Abbey in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

62 months ago

makinmoves in Duluth, Georgia said: Thank you sooo much for response. You mentioned that you obtained your license through an apprenticeship, but you don't sound like your a big fan. What was your experience like? I have researched some websites and found ways to obtain any theory knowledge i may need to know. Are their any textbooks u recommend? I will take some time off next week and totally devote myself to getting some contacts. I just can't afford school right now. And i don't want to take out ANYMORE loans, I think this is the next best thing. But, I would like to hear more about your experience. And thanks again for the response.

Hi, I'm not from Georgia, but I am From Baton Rouge. I just recently got my license 4 months ago, through the apprenticeship program. In my opinion I believe you learn more through this program than you do through cosmetology school. It is suppose to take you 2 years to complete, versus the one year in cosmetology. It took me 2 1/2 years. I finally got my license at the 3rd salon I worked at. If you really want to do this I suggest that you work in a much bigger salon. The more stylists there are, the more you learn. Yes, you have to pay for your books and your tools, but its not that much compared to cosmetology schools. Depending on the salon I'm sure you can make a payment plan. For my books it was 400$. Once you get them you just read through your chapter, and answer questions at the end of the chapter and in the workbook. Every three months you do have to turn in your hours, but you have to take a quarterly test on Whichever four chapters you are on. You also get a small test guide book. That is going to be your best friend because most of the questions in the book are on your tests. The great thing about this program is that while you are going to school 40 hours or less each week you are getting paid. Your job is your schooling!!! You are under a master barber/cosmetologist and . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

They teach you as much as you ask them. Its all up to you!!! Depending what salon you are working at and what your title is while you are an apprentice helps. I started off as "backbar" This is where you just wash hair, sweep, wash color bowls, Put up inventory, do your part of cleaning in the salon, change barbacide for all the sylists, fold and was the towels and sometimes much more. Then when you finally have a second to yourself you can go stand by your master barber or other stylists and ask them as many questions about what they are doing as you can. This is how you will learn. Not all salons make you do all those things, but again it depends on your position. The salon that I am working at now, where I got my license at, I started working at the front desk. I have to say that this is the best way to start out. You actually feel like your part of a purpose and you don't feel like your being walked all over. You learn how the books work ang the computers. You learn clients and how to speak with them. You get familiar with the stylists and the salon as a whole, a lot faster than at the bottom. You have to work hard, just like any other job, but you are fighting for your career and remember it is all up to you. Once you start to learn the more simple processess of blowdrying the hair or applying color, you get to start bringing clients in, and that is where you have to be confident. Allow yourself to make mistakes. Its ok!!! You learn from your mistakes. Get you a maniquine from sallys or off of ebay for 30$ and start to practice using a flat iron to make the hair do different things. Get you some bobbypins and practice doing updos. Get use to asking for help. Remember hair isn't black or white, its Textures!!!! Practice on your family. It is so much fun I promise and once you get confident in your work you will then shine. I am still having trouble getting a steady clientelle. It is hard, and I'm just trying to be patient. . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I just take one day at a time and just do my very best, because at the end of the day that makes me happy. Also, remember, don't get a big head and NEVER, NEVER, stop learning. The more your learn the better you will be. I know I've said a lot, and I hope it has helped . . . please let me know if you have anymore questions for me and also if you or anyone else has any helpful tips for me to get clients, other than the obvious Actions I've been taking to bring in new ones :) . . . Have a blessed night!!! Abs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Abbey in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I just take one day at a time and just do my very best, because at the end of the day that makes me happy. Also, remember, don't get a big head and NEVER, NEVER, stop learning. The more your learn the better you will be. I know I've said a lot, and I hope it has helped . . . please let me know if you have anymore questions for me and also if you or anyone else has any helpful tips for me to get clients, other than the obvious Actions I've been taking to bring in new ones :) . . . Have a blessed night!!! Abs

I can not express the gratitude for youj taking the time out to respond to this forum. I have been praying that god let me know if what I'm thinking is even possible. I have been in touch with a couple of stylist...still waiting. but, not giving up. And u shouldn't either. It so refreshing to hear about ur experience. Thank you!! I would like to keep in touch, if possible. i have many questions. Like where did u purchase ur books? Where in ga are u working? Please email @ twindmonhobbs@yahoo.com. I would love to know more about ur experience. Thanks a million. Good luck to you!! Maybe I can be a client!! LOL! Please email me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

is it a must that you are attending cosmetology school to work as apprentice? or can you become a stylist just with being an apprentice for some odd years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

It is my understanding that u can do either one to obtain a license. Apprenticeship takes longer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

if i am currently attending a cosmetology school in georgia what process do i have to go through to transfer to a cosmetology school in alabama?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Cosmetology and the Apprenticship program are totally differnt in the license world. If you get your cosmentology license you will be a sylistand if you get your license through the apprenticship program you will be a barber. I am a Barber but I can do everything that a cosmetologist can do. It takes two years to get your barbers license through the apprenticship program. If you have any more questions please let me know, and I hope that you had a great thanksgiving!!! God bless!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Yes you can do both to get your license and the apprenticship does take longer. the only difference is that I believe that the apprenticship is better. It may take longer but you get more hands on training and you get paid while you are in school. The more experience that you get in any field the better you will be and the more clients will trust you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lady 10 in Snellville, Georgia

60 months ago

crazy4curls in atlanta, Georgia said: i was doing some research and thought of another question- can you become a hairstylist just by completing an apprenticeship or do you also have to go to college as well? please help me.

Are you still doing hair and looking to be an apprentice? Send me your info

60 months ago

Looking for serious stylist that are interested in becoming an apprentice under me for a new salon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Candice in Canton, Georgia

60 months ago

I'm looking for an apprenticeship. I'm already a nail tech and a massage therapist, licensed in another state. I wonder if my nail tech hours will transfer into school or an apprenticeship program here in GA. Anybody know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

What type of apprenticeship are you looking for? Unfortunately Your nail tech hours would not be able to be used towards a Cosmetology license. There is however a manicure/pedicure practical part when going to school to be a Cosmetologist.

Candice Holloway

60 months ago

I want a cosmetology license.

60 months ago

GA will not allow credits from another state to be transferred which doesn't make any sense but they don't. You would have to do a couple of core classes and then Theory and then about 10 more classes i.e Permanent Waving & Relaxing, Skin, Scalp, and Hair,Shampooing & Styling,Haircutting and Hair Color before you can go on the floor to get your 1500 hours of hands on before you can go to take the State Board if you do it as an apprentice in a salon it can take longer b/c you would have to get 3000 hrs and you would still have to know the Theory which is the book work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

If you are transfering from one technical school to another you can just have your transcript sent to the school in Alabama, The school in Alabama will accept the classes that you have already taken but they won't accept a license from GA and Vice Versa for GA.

60 months ago

crazy4curls in atlanta, Georgia said: if i am currently attending a cosmetology school in georgia what process do i have to go through to transfer to a cosmetology school in alabama?

If you are transfering from one technical school to another you can just have your transcript sent to the school in Alabama, The school in Alabama will accept the classes that you have already taken but they won't accept a license from GA and Vice Versa for GA.

crazy4curls in Decatur, Georgia

60 months ago

Lady 10 in Snellville, Georgia said:

Thanks for your reply you can reach me kacole1039@gmail.com. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. And again thank you so much!!

LaurAsh09 in Whitmore Lake, Michigan

60 months ago

Hey all! Just want to start off by saying thank you for the posts!! I read them all and they helped so much! I'm looking to be a cosmetologist and I'm having a dilema, I want to start as soon as possible and I cannot decide to Apprentice or Attend beauty school at the Douglas J. Aveda Institue - which is very nice and super expensive (Tuition for the 10 month program is 17 grand!) Although, I want to go far with my cosmetology degree even in facials and make-up, I want to get the MOST knowledge that I can and I want the better experience, and what looks better while searching for a job at a salon or so on, I have a stylist set that I am able to apprentice under, she has been doing hair for over 20 years has a huge clientall and makes a good living off what she does.. I cannot afford douglas J right now, nor do I think I will be able to within the next few months. I just want opinions on what I should do.. should I go ahead and apprentice? or should I wait and attend school? I know apprenticeship is longer, and douglas J would seem to get more notice than an apprenticeship. HELP!! lol

JanelJ in Morrow, Georgia

60 months ago

amyers in Mcdonough, Georgia said: Does anyone know of anyone in the Henry/Clayton county GA area that does apprenticing for Cosmetology?

Hi,

If you are still looking for a place to be an apprentice at a salon, you might want to consider posting you info on www.BarberBeautician.com. I heard about it recently--you get a free profile and can post unlimited pictures of your work. Barber and Salon owners will be able to find you and hire you. Check it out and tell me if it works out for you.

JanelJ in Morrow, Georgia

60 months ago

crazy4curls in atlanta, Georgia said: if i am currently attending a cosmetology school in georgia what process do i have to go through to transfer to a cosmetology school in alabama?

Hi C4C,
I don't know if you have already transferred to Alabama. In the meantime, you might want to consider posting pictures of your work on www.BarberBeautician.com. It's a new website I heard about recently--you get a free profile and can post unlimited pictures of your work--nationally. Once you become licensed, barber and salon owners will be able to find you and hire you. I hope everything works out. There's a video tour for more info. Good luck!

Abbey Sicard in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

60 months ago

You have so many questions, but that is great!! I think you can do everything that you could possibly want to. I would say go ahead and do the apprenticeship program for 2 years. If you work in a salon big enough, they would be able to teach you about hair, skin, nails, make-up and much more if you allow them to. Your education through the apprenticeship depends on all the questions that you ask the educator that is teaching you. After you get your barbers license through the apprenticeship, if there is an estitician working in your salon, you could then train under him/her to become an estitician as well. you can learn so much through a salon, you just need to be open minded and willing to make your effort. It may take a little longer than through Aveda per say, but the more years of experience that you have . . . THE BETTER!!!

Tiffani Ferguson in Macon, Georgia

59 months ago

I am teching classes at Griffin tech. I start my cometology courses and hands on next quater. I was just woundering is the test hard and after you get your degree is it hard to find a job in this type of work.

59 months ago

Tiffani Ferguson in Macon, Georgia said: I am taking classes at Griffin tech. I start my cometology courses and hands on next quater. I was just woundering is the test hard and after you get your degree is it hard to find a job in this type of work.

sorry i misspeled taking

Janel in Mcdonough, Georgia

59 months ago

Hi, Tiffani. Sorry for the late response. First of all, congratulations on going school to become a hair stylist. To answer your questions, it's important for you to study what you learn during the course and practice...practice...practice. You might be asked to style a client as part of the exam. Finding a job shouldn't be as much of a challenge because I know of a website: www.BarberBeautician.com, where you can post unlimited photos of your work and your profile for FREE. Barbers and stylists will find you there to contact you based on your profile/photos. Check it out, let me know what you think and feel free to tell other students!

JJ

59 months ago

thanks bunches i wll look into it and keep in touch

Janel in Mcdonough, Georgia

59 months ago

No problem. Let me know if I can help

yen12 in mcdonough, Georgia

59 months ago

Lady 10 in Snellville, Georgia said: GA will not allow credits from another state to be transferred which doesn't make any sense but they don't. You would have to do a couple of core classes and then Theory and then about 10 more classes i.e Permanent Waving & Relaxing, Skin, Scalp, and Hair,Shampooing & Styling,Haircutting and Hair Color before you can go on the floor to get your 1500 hours of hands on before you can go to take the State Board if you do it as an apprentice in a salon it can take longer b/c you would have to get 3000 hrs and you would still have to know the Theory which is the book work.

Hi, i have a question, ; I`m a hair stylist from FL , just move here, i`m not sure what to do , i know that GA doesn`t reciprocate with the state of Fl, what are the steps to follow? do i need to do a apprenticeship program? the aplication for the reciprocity said that you have to summit proof of trainig i wonder if is from FL OR Ga. please helpe me, i need to work
Thanks!

brianna in San Diego, California

58 months ago

im from the san deigo area and ive beem in cosmetology school for 6 months, and although i love what i do, the learning enviornment is not for me. i have been researching apprentice programs here and it seems like i would learn much more, and getting paid would be a plus! over here, i have earned about 700 hours but then i learned i wouldnt be able to transfer my hours over towards the apprentice program. in cosmetology school you spend the first 6 weeks in a classroom learning the basics and practicing on doll heads. then you spend 2 weeks assisting the more advanced students and then you get clients of your own.i have learned a lot from school but i feel like i would get better experience from a program like that. i think the only thing setting me back is the fact that ive already paid $22,000 for school and the apprentice program is 3200 hours vs 1600 for school.

yen12 in mcdonough, Georgia

58 months ago

Hi I have a current license in Fl and now live in Ga, what do i need to do to be able to get a Ga license? Can I apprentice in a salon with my Fl license?

qianamra in Lithonia, Georgia

57 months ago

Lady 10 in Snellville, Georgia said: Looking for serious stylist that are interested in becoming an apprentice under me for a new salon

Hi are you still looking for a stylist? I am currently enrolled in Dekalb tech and am also looking to become an apprentice. So that I may learn more.

Tiffani Ferguson in Warner Robins, Georgia

57 months ago

Hi I was just wounderinf if you are still looking for a stylist? I am currently enrolled in Griffin tech and am also looking to become an apprentice. I have always loved learning new things and wanted to be a stylist as long as i can remeber so i enrolled in the cosmetology program at griffin tech. So bieng a apprentice would be a bounus. Please let me know if you still need one.
I live about a hour from Warner Robins so the location is awsome
Thanks Tiffani

Tiffani Ferguson in Warner Robins, Georgia

57 months ago

Janel in Mcdonough, Georgia said: Hi, Tiffani. Sorry for the late response. First of all, congratulations on going school to become a hair stylist. To answer your questions, it's important for you to study what you learn during the course and practice...practice...practice. You might be asked to style a client as part of the exam. Finding a job shouldn't be as much of a challenge because I know of a website: www.BarberBeautician.com , where you can post unlimited photos of your work and your profile for FREE. Barbers and stylists will find you there to contact you based on your profile/photos. Check it out, let me know what you think and feel free to tell other students!

JJ

Thanks for the support and info

Jaime Cooper in Pinetops, North Carolina

56 months ago

Wow! I have read all the posts and have had some questions answered but still have some. lol! I noticed the site you mentioned about posting a profile and pics to help with getting an apprentice job. Unfortunately I don't have any pics at this time. I do however have some hours from formerly attending Dalton Beauty College back a couple of years ago. I'm moving back to Georgia this next week and would prefer to do the apprenticeship. Do I HAVE to post pics of work or do you think my experience with a school would suffice?
Also, if anyone knows of any salon in the Calhoun, Dalton, Chatsworth area that would be willing to do an apprenticeship please send their info my way!!

Thanks!

Jaime

Thais Weaver in North Augusta, South Carolina

56 months ago

Hey, I currently live in Augusta Georgia.
I don't have any professional cosmetology schooling accumulated, and I was wondering what I need to do to go about getting started under an apprenticeship?
I know that I need to find someone who is a master cosmetologist, and the salon must be licensed, registering with the board, etc.
But what else do I need to know before I dive into this?
I chose to pursue an apprenticeship because I have more fun and learn more easily hands-on, and in the environment I'll be working in eventually anyway.
PLEASE respond with any information that might help me!!

Lynnlynn C in Dallas, Georgia

54 months ago

I am new to this feed. I have a question and need some advice please. I was planning on going to school in august and things have come up that is going to make that not an option for me any longer. However maybe it was a blessing in disguise because I keep hearing from more and more that apprenticing is the better and more helpful in the long run way to go. I just need to know, do you need a license to apprentice FIRST before you apply for apprenticeships? Meaning, am I gona look stupid if I go around applying for the apprenticeship program and I don't even have an apprenticing license yet? and How/where do I get one and how much do they cost?

ashley martinucci in escanaba, Michigan

54 months ago

i graduating soon an just curious if any one knows of how apprentiships works? I live in michigan an looking forward to moving to wisconsin, michigan gaduates have 1500 and you need 1800 in wis. just wondering how that would work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.