hairstylist resume?!?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

kerri in Dallas, Texas

81 months ago

hi. i have graduated cosmetology school and i am taking my practical this week. i am attempting to do my resume and have found a few samples, however, they all say "qualifications" and "professional experience"....so i guess my question is is there a different form of resume for new stylist or how do i make my resume not look like crap?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (171) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Devon in Paso Robles, California

81 months ago

I'm in the same boat, I've been told from an employer that previous jobs prior to your beauty school is helpful for example waitress, customer service, and so on... ? dunno if that helps I'm actually trying to make mine as we speak! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey in Louisville, Kentucky

81 months ago

Im goin through the same thing....i feel as though there is nothing on my resume..AT ALLLL!! Ive been lookin for ideas on the internet but all i can find is resumes for ppl who have been stylist for years!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ilovehair in Richardson, Texas

81 months ago

I AGREE, STYLISTS DO NOT NEED A RESUME. A PORTFOLIO WILL HELP YOU MORESO. BASIC INFORMATION IN YOUR RESUME IS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED. WHAT SCHOOL YOU OBTAINED YOUR LICENSE, HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO COMPLETE YOUR HOURS,ETC. A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION FROM YOUR INSTRUCTORS WOULD ALSO BE HELPFUL. YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO DO A PRACTICAL AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW ANYWAY. SO DON'T STRESS OUT ON A FORMAL RESUME. JUST KEEP YOUR SKILLS SHARP AND HAVE A GOOD FRIEND PREPARD TO JOIN YOU WHEN THEY CALL YOU BACK FOR THAT PRACTICAL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

I DO HAIR in COLUMBUS, Ohio

77 months ago

I AM A HAIRSTYLIST LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO DO MY CLIENTS WHEN I AM SICK OR ON VACATION. ALSO I MAY NEED SOMEONE TO HELP ME 1-2 DAYS A WEEK ON A REGULAR BASES. YOU WILL BE BUSY. ANYONE INTERESTED OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO MIGHT WANT TO DO THIS LET ME KNOW GREAT LOCATIONS. THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lauren in Henderson, Nevada

57 months ago

Me too!! My experience is so minimul, that Im scared to even show an employer, what if they think I just dont have that much experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Salonprof in Frisco, Texas

55 months ago

I disagree with the other posts that salons do not require a resume - as this is a good indication of the type of salon you will be working at.
Yes, practical tests are extremely important, but how you put together a resume tells me how prepared you are for the working world, and since I am always looking for the whole package in the apprentices I have hired, here are some tips:

1) Make your resume clear - choose a template with a good, clear, one page design. No fancy fonts, colors or designs! Make sure your phone number and e-mail are at the top right below your name. This is what an employer will look for straight away! (And please, create an e-mail address that you can use for resumes, no lewd or inappropriate addresses!)

2) When I look for apprentices, I am looking to see someone who is going to be good with customer service and friendly yet professional with clients. On your resume, you can include any school achievements, unpaid work experience or awards to show what kind of experience you have working as a team, achieving goals, or even volunteering to help something at school run smoothly ! The key is to make your achievements relate to the position you are applying to...so for example you could write that you were a member of the swim team, and this taught you to be reliable, dedicated and how to work well as part of a team.

3) Check your spellings!! Have someone else look over your resume to check you have used the correct words, spellings and grammar. When we have many applicants for one position, a badly written resume can easily disqualify you before the interview!

4) Make a fabulous cover e-mail or cover letter! Be friendly yet professional, and let the potential employer know how much you want to work for their particular company - do not send out the same cover letter to everyone you apply to - we can tell!

You can e-mail me at 209downtownsalonspa@gmail.com if you would like a sample resume to use! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

salon owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

55 months ago

Nicole in Euless, Texas said: I'm not sure how i stumbled across this site but my salon has a job opening in Keller. It's an upscale salon for men with services for color, cut, massaging shampoo, steam towels, and waxing. If you are interested message me at hislilmexican@yahoo.com
We do offer beer to our clients of age and i am willing to allow one beer per hairstylist of age on the job. E-mail me if you are interested.

I must say this is a bit shocking to see. Offering beer to future stylists as an incentive... really?

To any stylist reading:
This does not sound very professional I would beware. Also most states require a liquor license to serve alcohol to guests. This is something new.... many salons use to be able to serve as long as they did not charge. The law changed recently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

salon owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

55 months ago

I am surprised that an owner wouldn't want a resume. We require a resume. To me it shows the level of stylist. We even have a test for our front desk.

Other things to keep in mind and questions you may be asked that tell a lot about you...

What products do you use in your hair?
Where do you shop for your clothes?
What books are you reading right now?
What is your favorite make-up line?
What goals do you have for yourself in 1 year? 5yr, 10 yr.
Who is a mentor to you in this industry?
Define the word passion
Define the word work
define the word career
What kinds of charity fund raisers have you participated in?
What organizations do you belong to?
How well do you get a long with your mom and dad?

We hire more on motivation, willingness to be successful, a team player, and a fabulous attitude. 90% of what we do is on the inside. 10% is the hair. Teaching someone to do hair if they have everything above makes for a happy employee and a fabulous relationship with our team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

nadia533 in Elizabeth, New Jersey

50 months ago

I have a salon in Elizabeth, NJ and I am looking for a licensed stylist. Please email me at nadia.fiorello@gmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BooMizell in Oceanside, California

48 months ago

i would just like to thank you for this post. I am about to start the job hunt and this was incredibly helpful.

salon owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio said: I am surprised that an owner wouldn't want a resume. We require a resume. To me it shows the level of stylist. We even have a test for our front desk.

Other things to keep in mind and questions you may be asked that tell a lot about you...

What products do you use in your hair?
Where do you shop for your clothes?
What books are you reading right now?
What is your favorite make-up line?
What goals do you have for yourself in 1 year? 5yr, 10 yr.
Who is a mentor to you in this industry?
Define the word passion
Define the word work
define the word career
What kinds of charity fund raisers have you participated in?
What organizations do you belong to?
How well do you get a long with your mom and dad?

We hire more on motivation, willingness to be successful, a team player, and a fabulous attitude. 90% of what we do is on the inside. 10% is the hair. Teaching someone to do hair if they have everything above makes for a happy employee and a fabulous relationship with our team.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennifer steier in Louisville, Kentucky

45 months ago

Lindsey in Louisville, Kentucky said: Im goin through the same thing....i feel as though there is nothing on my resume..AT ALLLL!! Ive been lookin for ideas on the internet but all i can find is resumes for ppl who have been stylist for years!!

Runnin With Scissors Salon in J-Town is looking for a few hairstylist. If intrested or know anyone who is looking i would love to talk.

jennifer steier/owner

vicky c in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

stylist with passion character and values is the person we want to work with if you are the one contact us

Ken_NY in Long Island, New York

43 months ago

What products do you use in your hair? Garnier
Where do you shop for your clothes? Anywhere I see something I like
What books are you reading right now? Nothing struck my fancy right now.
What is your favorite make-up line? Don't wear any, should I?
What goals do you have for yourself in 1 year? 5yr, 10 yr. I see myself with a full book where it takes months to get an appointment with me, I plan to be that good.
Who is a mentor to you in this industry? Martin Parsons, for updos, Vidal Sassoon, Steve Arroyo, Tabbatha Coffey.
Define the word passion Passions is a fire that ignites your creativity.
Define the word work Work The result of much effort of creativity and artistry
define the word career Success in a profession that requires special training and licensing.
What kinds of charity fund raisers have you participated in? Animal Rescue
What organizations do you belong to? None
How well do you get a long with your mom and dad? Average

Those questions are silly. How would they pertain to a future hire. What books you read, where you shop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sheree in Everett, Washington

43 months ago

Those questions aren't silly, they're actually very telling. they maybe silly coming from a hiring manager at super cuts or any other "fast food" salon.

mharrisonnccp@gmail.com in Wilmington, North Carolina

42 months ago

You can e-mail me at 209downtownsalonspa@gmail.com if you would like a sample resume to use! Good

Hi there, I would greatly appreciate a template to use. I am getting ready to graduate and I am ready to start looking. I have a portfolio but want to have a resume too. Thanks for your help!

Lori Heckerman in Pleasanton, California

42 months ago

Yes, regardless if you have expirence or just out of beauty college,
resumes are needed.
Ken_NY has some great ideas.
I am looking for talented Hair Stylist in Pleasanton, Ca. if anyone is interested. Fantastic Sams of Santa Rita.

HAIRATL

39 months ago

I recently graduated from Paul Mitchell School of ATL and I'm currently looking for a job but I need help with my resume. Please help!!

Leosmary

39 months ago

Hi, I have a Salon and I'm currently looking for a stylist. We work with paul mitchell products. If you are interested please write back to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

HAIRATL

39 months ago

Hi Leosmary, how r u ?

I would like to get your contact info please. My email
address is sgui22dry@yahoo.com. I hope to hear from u soon

Suwanee GA!! in Arlington, Virginia

39 months ago

Leosmary said: Hi, I have a Salon and I'm currently looking for a stylist. We work with paul mitchell products. If you are interested please write back to me.

I just moved to Suwanee GA from South Carolina(hubby got relocated) and I have 10 yeears experience. I have done some work for JPMS before and use the products to this day. I am familiar with Block color techniques.
If you are still looking and willing to talk to someone with experience but because of the relocation does not have a following, PLEASE contact me. I am Motivated, friendly and willing to do whatever it takes to re-build. I would love to hear from you.
thanks! terrijlouj@yahoo.com

Peggy in Cumming, Georgia

39 months ago

Hello I am interested in talking to you to see if you might be interested in a position based on commission in a new upscale salon in Dawsonville Georgia. We are very close to the North Georgia Premium Outlet Mall and we are getting ready to hire stylists. You can email me at blursalon@windstream.net or jerry_melton@bellsouth.net
Looking forward to hearing from you

Peggy in Cumming, Georgia

39 months ago

Suwanee GA!! in Arlington, Virginia said: I just moved to Suwanee GA from South Carolina(hubby got relocated) and I have 10 yeears experience. I have done some work for JPMS before and use the products to this day. I am familiar with Block color techniques.
If you are still looking and willing to talk to someone with experience but because of the relocation does not have a following, PLEASE contact me. I am Motivated, friendly and willing to do whatever it takes to re-build. I would love to hear from you.
thanks! terrijlouj@yahoo.com

Can you email me at blursalon@windstream.net or jerry_melton@bellsouth.net Located in Dawsonville GA and have a new salon set to open in about 4-5 weeks.

Elaine with www.resumesrule.com in New Westminster, British Columbia

36 months ago

In my work experience, the industry is changing and with a competitive market, resumes show a level of professionalism that is sought after. A resume not only shows your past work history, but gives you an opportunity to be revealed as a professional candidate that takes his or her job seriously. If the resume is hand delivered, going in with a portfolio and/or referring that you have one in a simple professional cover letter will show your artistic talents.

If you have any questions, feel free to visit my website or contact me as my services are available online.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

fine designs in Cincinnati, Ohio

35 months ago

Looking for stylist to work in Kenwood.....email to talk about the shop

nikki in Massapequa, New York

26 months ago

of course a resume is necessary!!!!! This is only a professional lucrative career if you treat it as so.

lamondboyce in seattle, Washington

7 months ago

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.