49 months ago

I agreed I have a friend with a 4 year degree in crimes
Justice and can't even find a job. You do have to start
Some where and getting in somewhere to build you clientele
Is great

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ken_NY in Long Island, New York

49 months ago

LOL I was wondering how fast it would take for that statement to get a response as I read it, I decided not to pay attention to it.

I however have not regrets going to beauty school and getting my license this is like a second career for me. The trouble is I can't find a job. Just got my license this past Jan after thinking I failed the practical, if anything could go wrong it did, in any case salons either want experience, a following, a following and experience and I can't get any responses when I apply for assistant positions. I'm wiling to start anyway. I'm thinking maybe because I'm male and they're leary or soemthing. I'm older than most not in my 20s, maybe thats it. I'm hoping for a break I really am, but it is frustrating.

Spa Owner in Everett, Washington

49 months ago

Jonathan Anton and Vidal Sassoon aren't spring chickens and look at their successes. I'm a shop owner and from everything I've seen, men do extremely well! Don't sell yourself short. Confidence is what's going to build your career. If you know your craft well, there is know limit to what you can do! Go to a high end salon and get started! And don't forget! You have to look the part also!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

interglass2 in Union, New Jersey

49 months ago

salongalaxy.com has all the answers to all you hair needs

interglass2 in Union, New Jersey

49 months ago

Spa Owner in Everett, Washington said: Jonathan Anton and Vidal Sassoon aren't spring chickens and look at their successes. I'm a shop owner and from everything I've seen, men do extremely well! Don't sell yourself short. Confidence is what's going to build your career. If you know your craft well, there is know limit to what you can do! Go to a high end salon and get started! And don't forget! You have to look the part also!

salongalaxy.com has all the answers to all your hair care needs

jessie in Ottawa, Ontario

49 months ago

Vidal is no spring chicken,however, he started out when he was young . This gave him lots of time to become what he is today.
Not every one is going to be another Vidal.

jessie in Cornwall, Ontario

49 months ago

That's right, looking the part is a big plus.

Back to hair in Bend, Oregon

49 months ago

amy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: This career is for people who barely made it through high school. like the saying goes,if you cant go to college, go to beauty school.

Wow! I can not believe you had the audacity to write that post. I'd love to ask what you do for a living? I also wonder why are you on this forum if you are not a stylist or looking to be one? It seems as though you are just mean spirited and looking to cut others down. ???
In high school, I was an honor roll student who worked as a salon receptionist. It didn't take long to figure out that stylists who put their all into the profession, and yes it is a profession, can make an amazing income. Against my parents wishes, I went straight into cosmetology school one week after graduating high school. Two years later, once I had built a full clientele, I went to college because I felt I owed it to myself and to my parents. After six years behind the chair, I left to find a "career." Ten years later, I've found it...I'm heading back to the salon. I truly miss being a stylist. I've never had as much fun, as much flexibility, as much fulfillment in and passion for my job, and need I say, as much money in the bank, than when I was behind the chair.
It is pure ignorance to claim that beauty school is for people who "can't go to college." While cosmetology school is not rocket science, building a clientele by keeping them happy and beautiful involves a lot of hard work, passion, compassion, creativity, self motivation, a constant drive to perfect your skill, and a great attitude. Most of these attributes are not learned in college...but if you don't have these, you'd better hope you "can" go to college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jessie in Ottawa, Ontario

49 months ago

Nicely said.I bet this person doesn't even know the law of color.

cmdspfam5 in Blue Springs, Missouri

49 months ago

Lol @ $40.00 an hour in this profession! You can tell you're not yet in the field and your school did a great job of selling you a boatload of crap if you believe you'll make that... just sayin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dafiwhite in Louisville, Kentucky

49 months ago

Do your research, you should at least know the facts. I started research into opening a salon and there are ordinary stylist earning twice that much!! You will not find them here. Those stylist are practicing the craft of styling. They have learned the secret to giving a client what they want and causing them to feel good, at that level money is secondary. I am also a trained musician and that experience has taught me that if you love what you do and are willing to work hard it does'nt matter what you do you will be great and the pay will naturally follow. I believe if we all focus on giving quality work and less on money we would all be a little happier. As a business person I command a higher salary than most, but of course I earn it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mrshart2004 in El Paso, Texas

49 months ago

Just one quick question how much is the averech booth rent, I like to know so I don't be paying toooooo much

David Pinela in El Paso, Texas said: You can work at a commisioned salon like Regis or Jcpenney and get paid per hour. if you get more in Sales and services thats basically what your check will be.
Others provide a commision to where they provide EVERYTHING.. this includes shampoo, color, bleach.. etc... If you do a service, you get a certain percentage. Average is 40/60 you keep 60 % of profits and the ownere keeps the rest..
the last one is booth renting. you pay a set amount per week or month and you have to provide most of your items like bowls, towels, tints, perms, etc.. There are some, like where I work, that provide the back bar with shampoos and conditioners.
and towels.. we just help wash them..
I would recomend booth renting.. that way you can start your clientel, it will be slow and you might get depressed because you dont have clients. I promise.. It will pick up!!!
I happened to me and I am reaping the benefits..
That way if you get tired of a comiisioned salon, you wont have to have the hassle of getting new clients when you do move to a booth rentall..
It nice to make your own schedule and come in when you want.. No one telling you what to do or what to say.. you are your own boss.

49 months ago

dafiwhite in Louisville, Kentucky said: Do your research, you should at least know the facts. I started research into opening a salon and there are ordinary stylist earning twice that much!! You will not find them here. Those stylist are practicing the craft of styling. They have learned the secret to giving a client what they want and causing them to feel good, at that level money is secondary. I am also a trained musician and that experience has taught me that if you love what you do and are willing to work hard it does'nt matter what you do you will be great and the pay will naturally follow. I believe if we all focus on giving quality work and less on money we would all be a little happier. As a business person I command a higher salary than most, but of course I earn it.

Jessie & Dafiwhite, you've both hit the nail on the head. Skill (ie: law of color) and love of your profession, are the two main ingredients needed. After that the money will follow. Dafiwhite, I loved and appreciated that you mentioned "practicing the craft of styling." I am assuming that you are not a stylist, but have researched opening a salon from a business persons point of view. You seem to have a clear understanding...maybe you should go for it. Too many times, a stylist opens a salon without the business side of the brain working, or a business person opens a salon without the artistic side...both are needed. Good luck to you! You are the type of person who's salon would be a pleasure to work in!

49 months ago

I am not a stylist yet but I intend to study this art in a few months. Once I have recieved my B.A. in Business I will attend beauty school. I spoke with CheriC and the Idea was brought up . I at first felt very intimidated, because I am a man. I then began my research and I have found that it is absolutely necessary that I study the business of beauty if I intend to not only enjoy but be profitable, I believe that my strongest asset is the ability to connect with people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

dafiwhite in Louisville, Kentucky said: I am not a stylist yet but I intend to study this art in a few months. Once I have recieved my B.A. in Business I will attend beauty school. I spoke with CheriC and the Idea was brought up . I at first felt very intimidated, because I am a man. I then began my research and I have found that it is absolutely necessary that I study the business of beauty if I intend to not only enjoy but be profitable, I believe that my strongest asset is the ability to connect with people.

There are many men who are in this field. I attended Cosmetology school and have my license. I haven't found a job yet. But I feel its an accomplishment and beyond popular opinion, beauty school was no walk in the park. You had to study and practice practice practice.

Intimidated because you are a man? LOL. Wait til you get into it, you'll see how many men are enrolled, that and the fact there are many male pioneers in the business.

I got into a little older. My deferred dream come true. I had no patience when I was younger, I'd miss alot of school for parties and things much like I witnessed the younger ones doing when I attended, it was beyond my comprehension that their parents who paid for it, would allow it. And they would get mad when they had to make up hours. Not every school allows make up hours but my school did.

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida

49 months ago

dafiwhite in Louisville, Kentucky said: I am not a stylist yet but I intend to study this art in a few months. Once I have received my B.A. in Business I will attend beauty school. I spoke with CheriC and the Idea was brought up . I at first felt very intimidated, because I am a man. I then began my research and I have found that it is necessary that I study the business of beauty if I intend to not only enjoy but be profitable, I believe that my strongest asset is the ability to connect with people.

David, I'm sure I told you this on the phone, but if not, I will say it now for all to read. One of the most successful people who I ever worked for couldn't cut himself out of a wet paper sack. His hair cuts sucked. I mean absolutely were awful! He had two of the top salons in the Jacksonville, FL area back in the 60's~70's when Vidal Sassoon was all the rage. He sent his stylists to Sassoon schools. Everyone wanted to go to the salon owner to get their hair done because he was the owner, but he was not the best cutter or stylist at all! But you know what he was the best at doing? He put on the The most sincere, wonderful, caring, loving, dynamic, adoring, just "this is my most favorite client... take care of her like she's my mother" act that you have EVER seen! WOMEN ADORED HIM. They would sneak back into the salon to get their hair re-cut "not to hurt his feelings". lol. However, they would come back in the salon, twice a week, for a "two blow dryer" crappy style... at $25 a pop BACK IN 1975!!!!!

Now, you tell me, that's not love. You tell me that's not skill. Keep your eye on the prize when you go to school. Whether you learn the craft or not, learn people, chemical, and psychology of hair and you can make a mint. Men have it made. Oh, and this guy was about 65, years old, 280 lbs, and balding... not cute. LOL. So, it wasn't that he was cute...

49 months ago

Also, there's a book I have, called, Beautiful Business: Retailing for the Hairdresser, by Sam Brocato. It's on Amazon.com, if you can get hold of a copy. Mine is a Hard back book, but there's a paperback version, too. If you can get the hardback: get it because you will want to keep it a lifetime. You will refer to it again and again. I highly recommend this book.

Good hair products make YOUR client's hair look GREAT all the time, which INSPIRE THE PUBLIC TO QUESTION THE CLIENT, "WHERE DO YOU GO TO GET YOUR HAIR DONE?" I find this a DANGEROUS Question. So, I TRAIN my Clients to CORRECT & DIRECT anyone asking about their HAIR, to give the questioner my NAME and WHERE I WORK. Such as, "Oh, SHERI, at Changes Salon does my hair," vs "I go to Changes Salon." See how this works? Great for walk-ins, but bad for building a clientele.

Build your retail business and "THEY" will come. And your income will increase, too. Do NOT cut off your nose in spite of your face. And Salon Owners need to pay a decent commission on retail, too. ___________________________________________________________________

49 months ago

FYI, just so all readers will comprehend my intent here: When I said "...do NOT cut off your nose in spite of your face." I meant, just because you may work for a stingy salon owner who will not pay you a decent percent commission on retail, DON'T BE STUPID. DO NOT GET THE MENTALITY that thinks, "oh, WELL, since he/she's NOT going to pay ME anything more than 5 or 10% on retail then I'll show them! I won't sell anything!"

You know what? You do what is BEST for YOUR client: ALWAYS. I can GUARAN-DAMN-TEE-YOU that if you will do your best, then it will always work out to your advantage. And then when your books are filled to the brim and booked in advanced by weeks and you hold all the aces in the hole: W-A-L-K to the SALON OF CHOICE. Because what builds any career is when you are SELFLESS and care for other first and foremost and help them. PUT OTHERS FIRST. SERVE OTHERS. THINK OF OTHERS FIRST. SEE WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR OTHERS. AND THEY WILL COME.

I KID YOU NOT. When you go up on your priced, they will believe you deserve it and not begrudge you one red cent.

I am sharing a secret with you now of how to SUCCEED in the hair business: esp. during a recession or depression. Business clients have to look professional and get their hair done. MAKE them FEEL THAT YOU CARE ABOUT THEM & R-E-L-A-X in their soul is a gift. It's a touch in the shoulder, it the way you communicate; & With the "right" clientele, you can have it all.

People know when you are putting yourself first and not them. They're not stupid. Why would a salon have stocked shelves and you not even try to sell them products? It would appear to them to be personal. Why else? Are the products there for decoration? Do you believe there is a difference in profession products or not? Think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

phil in Brooklyn, New York

49 months ago

What you are saying, I am exactly word by word like you. I am about to graduate with b.a in business, a guy etc... wow

49 months ago

It is for this reason that I interact in the "Forum". I learn so much talking with those who have experience. My wife told me that I should allow my gift to work for me, it is all communication. I am going at this project with open mind and motivation. I need the language of the stylist and the confidence and I think I will be O.K. Thank You SheriC you are an honest straight forward mentor. I have told many of my friends of our conversation and they tell me how fortunate that I am to be able to reach out and be recieved by a professional business person and a stylist to boot! I am extremly thankful! Knowledge and education are key to any project and who else to learn from other that those who have been successful?

49 months ago

Does anyone have any tools that they are truly in love with? I'm going to a show at the end of the month, and considering it my "stock up shopping trip." I'm going back into the business after a while away, so I have some things, but whats new, fun, and wonderful in the past few years? Anything that you can't live without? I'd love to hear about it. Also, I'm looking for a good, quiet dryer...suggestions? Thanks!

ericaevans45@yahoo.com in Nashville, Tennessee

49 months ago

do u get paid alot of money mean $ 100.00 or more or least

49 months ago

What are some other favorite websites for stylists? Thanks!

Hungry4hair in Salisbury, Maryland

49 months ago

Ny in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Well Ginny, I am a 35yr old single mother of 3. And worked in the medical field for 12 yrs and just got mentally burned out. I am currently in cosmo school and have 2mths left. It has had its ups and downs but it has all been worth it. God will provide for you and your family just stay focused and know that at beauty school you are only learning the basics to pass state board the rest is up to you. Just educate yourself as much as possible about the industry. At the end of the day you will smile because you are doing something you love to do.

I too am a registered nurse. I have many years in the health care industry. Recently, I made the decision to pursue my dreams in the cosmetology industry. I'm in cosmo school, have 6 months left and am SO GLAD that I took the plunge. My wheels are turning and I know I will be successful. With anything in life.....if you want it bad enough.....you have to go at it FULL SPEED ahead. Most importantly, pursue your passion AND don't allow anyone or anything stand in your way.

Best Wishes to All!

49 months ago

I too am a registered nurse. I have many years in the health care industry. Recently, I made the decision to pursue my dreams in the cosmetology industry. I'm in cosmo school, have 6 months left and am SO GLAD that I took the plunge. My wheels are turning and I know I will be successful. With anything in life.....if you want it bad enough.....you have to go at it FULL SPEED ahead. Most importantly, pursue your passion AND don't allow anyone or anything stand in your way.

Best Wishes to All!

49 months ago

Back to hair in Bend, Oregon said: Does anyone have any tools that they are truly in love with? I'm going to a show at the end of the month, and considering it my "stock up shopping trip." I'm going back into the business after a while away, so I have some things, but whats new, fun, and wonderful in the past few years? Anything that you can't live without? I'd love to hear about it. Also, I'm looking for a good, quiet dryer...suggestions? Thanks!

I must say that I am in love with my "ghd" flat iron and T2 detailer (another flat iron with small plates. There are other (obviously) but I love these so far!

belinome in Miami, Florida

48 months ago

Do you like to write? we are launching a new beauty site and we are looking for stylists to write informative pieces and actively give advice in the Q & A section.There is no compensation, but will look good on your resume. Contact bellinome@gmail.com if interested.

48 months ago

Back to hair in Bend, Oregon said: Does anyone have any tools that they are truly in love with? I'm going to a show at the end of the month, and considering it my "stock up shopping trip." I'm going back into the business after a while away, so I have some things, but whats new, fun, and wonderful in the past few years? Anything that you can't live without? I'd love to hear about it. Also, I'm looking for a good, quiet dryer...suggestions? Thanks!

By the LIGHTEST WEIGHT 1800 watt dual speed, cool shot ion or ionic type dryer around $20~$35 price with a re-moveable directional air flow piece/spout. There is no reason whatsoever to pay for one of those high-speed HEAVY, STRESSing motors that will cause undue wear and tear on your joints. Plus there is no true guarantee that they do last longer than any others.

I worked with over 50 stylists and many use to believe in those high-end dryers. I bought my cheaper versions. I watched them pay hundreds of dollars over the years for those versions. And when they went out, did they have the time to ship them off to get them replaced? HEL2TheNO! They had to go out and REpurchase a new dryer because WORK came first. And time passed... Before I moved, I had the opportunity to have a quick math lesson with a few people who were moderate earners comparatively. I had my averaged $25 version to their $200 version and my dryer would last for about 2~3 working years Vs theirs and I did 3 times their business. I can't count heads, because we didn't have a head count, but we know within a few thousand dollars how much money we're talking about. Plus, they bought new dryers YEARLY. Now, here's the real kicker: do the math over 10 years or in my case, I've been doing hair 30 years. See where this is going?

Save your money. A good dryer need not cost $250. It's only going to be on a few minutes. Don' buy a jet engine, a cold shot, light, and ionic.

48 months ago

Geez...BUY, not by.

48 months ago

Good grief... BUY, not By

48 months ago

You asked about tools: Tondeo razor, twin blade. If you don't know how to use one, learn. The most fabulous styles you have ever seen on heads. You cannot recreate the styles you see from the past without a blade like a Tondeo. Period. It's a very thin, flexible blade, nothing like a typical stiff razor blade like American companies produce. The blades fit different Razors. Find a style you like that fits this blade: TONDEO TSS 3 SIZOR BLADES, MADE IN SOLINGEN GERMANY.

Also, I believe true professional stylists will only use Marcel Irons. Make sure they have swivel cords, and metal tipped ends so no clients will pick up your tools and try to use them. They will think twice. And you had better SCOLD and TRAIN your clients to NEVER, EVER TOUCH YOUR STUFF. EVER.

I still laugh to this day when I think of that client who had opened my drawer and picked up one of my pair of shears to clip off the threads off her blouse. She slid out of the chair onto the floor when I yelled at her. So, when I say my clients were floored I was not kidding! They NEVER touched my appliances once I got through with them. This client thought she was one of my special friends....NO ONE is THAT special.

Anyway. Cheap dryers: EXPENSIVE SHEARS.

Check out this dryer on eBay right now. Someone has 10 of them. Not a bad deal and they include shipping! $19.99. I mean common. Everything you need. Revlon RV519 Watt Black Ion Select Dryer,
patented ion select dial controls the amount of ions emitted onto hair
3 heat settings
2 speed settings
Cold shot button sets the style
Includes airflow concentrator attachment

Liplol in Beloit, Wisconsin

48 months ago

Yea

48 months ago

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida said: You asked about tools: Tondeo razor, twin blade. If you don't know how to use one, learn. The most fabulous styles you have ever seen on heads. You cannot recreate the styles you see from the past without a blade like a Tondeo. Period. It's a very thin, flexible blade, nothing like a typical stiff razor blade like American companies produce. The blades fit different Razors. Find a style you like that fits this blade: TONDEO TSS 3 SIZOR BLADES, MADE IN SOLINGEN GERMANY.....

I did not mean to imply that this razor was only for recreating "old" school styles, which is so silly. Your cuts will be so much more polished and classier if you truly know how to use a razor.

Do you have any clients that require closely cropped cuts? Or anyone that need a fitted cut that is just beautifully sculpted to the head that is reminiscent of cuts that Clark Gable or Erol Flynn wore? If you don't know who they are, then maybe you know the haircuts of Brad Pitt & others in the movie "Inglorious Basterds". (And that IS the correct spelling.) www.inglouriousbasterds-movie.com/ is the movie trailer site. All of those cuts are not done with just "buzzers". The cuts are done with buzzers, shears, and hand razor like the tondeo blade. A blade that is too thick would be difficult to handle around ears or to do the beautiful fringe on a womans neck. You will love a Tondeo razor cut and so will your clients. And as you get older, your hair styles ALWAYS LOOK CURRENT. ALWAYS ROCKING WITH THE TIMES. AMAZING TO AGE IN THIS BUSINESS. ASK MY KIDS. TEENS DO NOT LIE ABOUT THEIR HAIR.

48 months ago

This razor sounds awesome! I am not as comfortable as I'd like to be. Do you have any suggestions for great razor cut classes? Most that I've been to involve the stylists watching the "performing stylist" flying through the hair with a razor, usually at a show...I want to really learn it, and am able to travel to go to one. Thanks!

48 months ago

Do you know how you become better at any skill? Practice. Practice. Practice. Over and Over and Over again. Whenever I watch that movie Forrest Gump, I think of that bit of him playing Ping Pong or him running... To get better at any skill, you do it until you master it. You do it until you can see it in your mind's eye. you dream it. You eat it. You don't mix it or put color on anyone's head until you know EXACTLY what in the heck is going to happen or have a doggone good idea of what is going to happen. Because if you are wrong, then it is going to be a sad day for someone. And if you were a DOCTOR and you were wrong, wouldn't it be a SAD day if you were WRONG in the operating ROOM? Well YOUR TRADE should have EQUAL RESPECT. It may not demand as much money for you to go to school to get your license in hair, but it takes as many years to become JUST AS TALENTED IN YOUR FIELD IN COLOR correction. You may have some basic skills, but the harder skills take time to develop. They eye sees things that takes time to teach.

When it comes to cuts...IF you can 'see' in your mind's eye the shape of the client's skull and the hair coming off the head in the different angles and you know how it's going to fall for let's say a traditional straight chin length bob... then practice using the razor softening the fringe edges and interior AFTER the cut is done. I can do a bob cut with a razor that is as blunt as any shear and as soft as any you will ever want. Beautiful flow and draping, not aging, not dated... elegant. Inspires the question: WHO does your hair? every single time. Makes my daughters so proud... and they don't have the same cuts or styles. (26 & almost 18)

Razor touches are used on ALL my cuts to polish. It makes that huge of a difference on any cut. Like lipstick to a makeup application. :D

48 months ago

It is amazing but I am recieving better and more practicle instruction in business than I am in my college courses. SheriC if not for you I do not think I would be on this sight,I canno tthank you enough. I have decided to pursue education in cosmetology. I hope to one day own and manage my own salon. I am a stickler on customer service. When I first moved to Louisville, Ky. I noticed very quickly that our city had many customer service issues. I would love to be a part of bringing change to any industry. I am finishing up a B.A. in business and will pursue more knowledge in the beauty industry, thanks SheriC, after speaking with you I am more motivated than ever. I continue to read the postings to remind myself exactly what I am in for. To those who are looking for an advantage in business who else better to learn from than those who have stood the test of time, hey and it's free!!

48 months ago

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida said: Do you know how you become better at any skill? Practice. Practice. Practice. Over and Over and Over again. Whenever I watch that movie Forrest Gump, I think of that bit of him playing Ping Pong or him running... To get better at any skill, you do it until you master it. You do it until you can see it in your mind's eye. you dream it. You eat it. You don't mix it or put color on anyone's head until you know EXACTLY what in the heck is going to happen or have a doggone good idea of what is going to happen...."

I completely agree. I have never been one to do a service on a client unless I absolutely knew how and what would be the outcome. Clients are paying for a professional service, not a "hope for the best." That is why I am looking for classes. I am returning after quite a few years away from the chair, and I won't do that until I have taken every great class I can find. My future clients deserve no less than that. While I feel that I still have the "knack" and vision for this profession, I won't go back into it until I have complete confidence in my skills again. I never stopped doing hair, thankfully my family and friends have been "constants" for me. However, good is not enough, I want to be the BEST stylist that I can be.

On that note, if anyone has any suggestions for great classes, I am all ears. I'm specifically looking for men's cutting classes, and now I have a renewed interested in razor cutting. I've always been strong in color, but more education never hurt anyone. So, if you've taken a class that you'd like to recommend, please let me know. Thanks!!!

BTW...I just came home from a 2 day hands-on Aveda Pure Form cutting workshop in Denver, that I would recommend to anyone. It was very "back to basics," but I think it's good to go back sometimes. It makes you think "how, why, and technique" to achieve the desired result, not just "oh, a bob."

Again, thanks!

48 months ago

I completely agree. I have never been one to do a service on a client unless I absolutely knew how and what would be the outcome. Clients are paying for a professional service, not a "hope for the best." That is why I am looking for classes. I am returning after quite a few years away from the chair, and I won't do that until I have taken every great class I can find. My future clients deserve no less than that. While I feel that I still have the "knack" and vision for this profession, I won't go back into it until I have complete confidence in my skills again. I never stopped doing hair, thankfully my family and friends have been "constants" for me. However, good is not enough, I want to be the BEST stylist that I can be.

On that note, if anyone has any suggestions for great classes, I am all ears. I'm specifically looking for men's cutting classes, and now I have a renewed interested in razor cutting. I've always been strong in color, but more education never hurt anyone. So, if you've taken a class that you'd like to recommend, please let me know. Thanks!!!

BTW...I just came home from a 2 day hands-on Aveda Pure Form cutting workshop in Denver, that I would recommend to anyone. It was very "back to basics," but I think it's good to go back sometimes. It makes you think "how, why, and technique" to achieve the desired result, not just "oh, a bob."

Again, thanks!

48 months ago

Put on your thinking caps for a minute, OK? If you go to a "class" that you pay good money for to watch someone cut a head of hair, WHAT have you "just" done? (SIGN LANGUAGE FOR THE DEAF HERE)... W-A-T-C-H-E-D A H-A-I-R-C-U-T. And since you are apparently deaf, there was probably a HUGE SUCKING SOUND OUT OF SOMEONE'S BANK ACCOUNT.

If you haven't quite gotten' the hang of the "ART" of "HAIR" yet, it is a "Monkey SEE MONKEY DO" operation. Capiche?

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.”

See someone do a paint trick, you will leaRn to PAINT AS GOOD AS THE PAINTER SO YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO HIRE A PAINTER.

Get on Google and watch every single FREE HAIR CUT AND COLOR VIDEO PUT ONLINE. Even the crappy ones. Want to learn makeup techniques? WOW, there are some pretty smart cookies out there...

Now, you've seen all that you can online and you want to see up front and personal. Well, here's were you are going to have to use a little 'moxie' and maybe well, it depends on how far you are willing to go. You'll catch my drift, go fish for your hair dresser. That's right. Go fishing. See what you catch. If you want to learn a special technique, such as foil highlighting, just saying that... or razor cutting, or braiding with your left hand, then you go "know" what that kind of haircut or color looks like 'finished' on a head. Right? You have a good idea of whatever it is 'looks' like that you want to learn, right? Then you will go to the salon and watch that stylist work, almost like an 'interview'. That's right. YOU are going to "interview" and watch them work... for hours if that's what it's going to take for you to feel better about YOU having them do your hair.

And where did I get this little idea? I've had it done to me so many times, I just stop people in their tracks and just come out and ASK them what they really want to know right up front....

48 months ago

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida said: Put on your thinking caps for a minute, OK? If you go to a "class" that you pay good money for to watch someone cut a head of hair, WHAT have you "just" done? (SIGN LANGUAGE FOR THE DEAF HERE)... W-A-T-C-H-E-D A H-A-I-R-C-U-T. And since you are apparently deaf, there was probably a HUGE SUCKING SOUND OUT OF SOMEONE'S BANK ACCOUNT....

Hmmm, thanks for your advice SheriC, but I'm a bit offended that you think I am "deaf." First let me mention that if you re-read my post, the class that I was recommending to anyone who'd like to further their professional skills was a hands-on class, two days straight on a mannequin. We watched, we cut, we talked, we cut, we cut, cut, cut. And something I didn't mention before for anyone who's interested, is that this class put a huge emphasis on body positioning. Yes, you can watch free videos on body positioning, but unless someone else (instructor) is watching you, you can believe you're doing everything right for years, and have it ALL wrong. With the right positioning, your cuts and your health will improve. That alone was worth the $225 that "got sucked out of my bank account" to take this class.

I have "gotten the hang of the art of hair," I have watched many cut/color/styling videos, and I have spent many hours assisting wonderful stylists who were more than willing to teach me all that they knew without me having to fake that I'm interviewing them to be my hairdresser. And I've spent money on classes, as crazy as that may sound to you. I did all of this when I started in this profession 16 years ago, and I made a wonderful career with a great clientele because of it. Now I'm re-entering the profession and I'd like to "re-hone" my skills. So that's all, I'm just looking for training recommendations. Yes, many classes do "suck money from someone's bank account," that's why I'm asking for recommendations. I'm sure you meant well, but it was a bit offensive.

48 months ago

...cont. I had to run, can't type long. But my point is pretty clear: IF you are NEW, go and sit in different salons as inconspicuously as possible. Do NOT go in there dressed as a 'stylist', will you? Please go in there dressed like a concerned, wigged out client that is sick and doggone tired of getting screwed up at the hair salon... and YOU are there to WATCH ALL of the other stylists to see if there is anyone that you think would "fit" your style or personality. You can ask the receptionist about the stylists and what kind of hair each one of the stylists 'do' and what kind of clientele they attract. If they think you're asking too many questions, just tell them that you are trying to find a new hairdresser and you are just damn TIRED of finding the wrong one. Period. Don't bother telling them any made up drama. :] Just open any doors you can to 0-B-S-E-R-V-E S-T-Y-L-I-S-T-S W-O-R-K. Before you know it, you can even return one day possibly and confess your 'sin' and even work in that salon. It won't matter. They're not stupid. Just don't come up with some cockamamie lie.

Every single person in any salon, ANY WHERE has something to teach you. OMGoodness. You *have* to spend a week or more in an "old school" salon learning how to REALLY do a roller set, teasing, scalloped curls, REAL updos that have STAYING power, a *real comb out* for a client who needs a quick mid-week touch up, adding hair piece/s, how to do a hair piece, how to charge for hair pieces, etc. These are skills you learn by being around them and everyone needs to learn. I mean who couldn't use these skills? Are any of you too good to assist someone for a few days? Are any of you above brown-nosing and praising another stylist and saying, "I have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to DO THAT? Would you mind if I assisted you for a day or two or weekend? I would love to watch you work?" FLATTERY opens many doors. You do not have to always be sneaky. It depends on you and how you present yourself.

48 months ago

I think I'd rather skip the faking that I'm a client and brown-nosing a fellow stylist. I'd rather just come right out and ask if I could watch, learn, and assist. And in the meantime, I don't mind spending money on GOOD, hands-on classes. I do appreciate that you said that "you do not have to always be sneaky." You should never be sneaky...it'll bite you someday.

jb in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Joshua in Gig Harbor, Washington said: As a hairstylist you can choose how much you make. If you really apply yourself and become very good at your trade you can make lots of money. You can make $8 an hour or $800 an hour depending on how much you want to work it and spend mastering your trade. I am actually still a student and only halfway through beauty school but I have been working very hard and making lots of connections. As it stands right now I have a salon that wants me as soon as I graduate. They charge $100 for a haircut and I would make a 40% comission off of that and they charge between $150 - $200 for hair coloring. So I am looking at around $40 an hour when I graduate. There is nothing special about me, I am just someone that really wants it. If you are going to do it I would highly recommend using a Paul Mitchell School. They are awesome schools with great education and provide you with lots of opportunities.

Yes that would be correct if you were busy on the hour every hour, also you need to take in account blow outs and mens haircuts. A luxurious salon charging $100+ for women's haircuts would NOT EVER put a student right out of beauty school on the floor. You would need to assist and attend weekly advanced courses with their salon educator for how ever long it takes until they know you are ready to take on clients. Most hairdressers graduate from school (after paying $20,000+, I.E. Paul Mitchell etc. )expecting to be busy and make tons of money but in reality you have to work hard, be dedicated to the craft and be willing to stay long hours. It takes years to become a busy stylist and make a decent amount of $. If you got the determination you will be a great hairdresser and be rewarded for it.

Keith in Charleston, South Carolina

48 months ago

I am 46 years old and plan on taking early retirement from a stressful medical field in 3 yrs. Creativity has always been a passion of mine (i do artwork - paintings/sculpture) and I even cut my own hair, did my mom's a couple times. Fact I know I would be good at this and will be attending beauty school (Paul Mitchell?) here in Charleston, SC. I'm hoping it's not too late to get into this at my age, could someone please give me some input on this? Thanks, Keith
(I'm also thinking women are "CRAZY" about having a male hairstylist)

48 months ago

Juvexin Global Keratin vs. Keratin Complex? Do you have experience with either of these products? Have you used both? Have you heard any good or bad about either? I'd love to hear any opinions or experiences anybody has had with these products, or other straightening/curl relaxing products. Thanks much!

48 months ago

Keith in Charleston, South Carolina said: I am 46 years old and plan on taking early retirement from a stressful medical field in 3 yrs. Creativity has always been a passion of mine (i do artwork - paintings/sculpture) and I even cut my own hair, did my mom's a couple times. Fact I know I would be good at this and will be attending beauty school (Paul Mitchell?) here in Charleston, SC. I'm hoping it's not too late to get into this at my age, could someone please give me some input on this? Thanks, Keith
(I'm also thinking women are "CRAZY" about having a male hairstylist)

Jobs are tough out there. In my area they either want a following or min three years experience even to be an assistant, don't what they're pulling by specifying this seems no one wants to train or help someone get their foundation. I'm getting fed up and may just abandon the search to work in a salon.

Spa La La in Everett, Washington

48 months ago

Seriously? I'm in Edmonds Washington and I'm CRYING for hair stylists. It's a booth rental. $550 per month and I pay for all the back bar, all the styling products you use on your clients, your business cards, the cards AND postage to send to your clientele to let them know where you've gone, and I keep a frig full of food for all the people that work in my day spa. I've got ads out everywhere, including Craigslist and Behind the Chair. I've physically driven to all of our suppliers and put up fliers on their bulletin boards and in the 2 months I've been doing all of this, I have not had even one call. Nothing. Where did all the hair stylists go?? My shop has new everything, it's spotless clean, I'm located in the heart of downtown Edmonds with a ton of foot traffic. I just don't get it. I can't buy a hair stylist. Suggestions?? I'm open for anything at this point. I have 3 hair stations and no hair stylists. How completely rediculous is this??

48 months ago

Spa La La in Everett, Washington said: Seriously? I'm in Edmonds Washington and I'm CRYING for hair stylists. It's a booth rental. $550 per month and I pay for all the back bar, all the styling products you use on your clients, your business cards, the cards AND postage to send to your clientele to let them know where you've gone, and I keep a frig full of food for all the people that work in my day spa. I've got ads out everywhere, including Craigslist and Behind the Chair. I've physically driven to all of our suppliers and put up fliers on their bulletin boards and in the 2 months I've been doing all of this, I have not had even one call. Nothing. Where did all the hair stylists go?? My shop has new everything, it's spotless clean, I'm located in the heart of downtown Edmonds with a ton of foot traffic. I just don't get it. I can't buy a hair stylist. Suggestions?? I'm open for anything at this point. I have 3 hair stations and no hair stylists. How completely rediculous is this??

I'm on Long Island and thats how it is here. Wish I were in WA but I don't think my NYS license would work there without me going to further education. NY is funny I guess. Drop the booth rental and maybe go to commission or salary plus commission and you'll probably have your hairstylists.

Keith in Charleston, South Carolina

48 months ago

Spa La La in Everett, Washington said: Seriously? I'm in Edmonds Washington and I'm CRYING for hair stylists. It's a booth rental. $550 per month and I pay for all the back bar, all the styling products you use on your clients, your business cards, the cards AND postage to send to your clientele to let them know where you've gone, and I keep a frig full of food for all the people that work in my day spa. I've got ads out everywhere, including Craigslist and Behind the Chair. I've physically driven to all of our suppliers and put up fliers on their bulletin boards and in the 2 months I've been doing all of this, I have not had even one call. Nothing. Where did all the hair stylists go?? My shop has new everything, it's spotless clean, I'm located in the heart of downtown Edmonds with a ton of foot traffic. I just don't get it. I can't buy a hair stylist. Suggestions?? I'm open for anything at this point. I have 3 hair stations and no hair stylists. How completely rediculous is this??

Ever consider finding hair stylists at beauty schools where you can pick the most talented?

Page:  « First « Previous   24  25  26  27  28  29  30  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.