new stylist needs career advice!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

hairlover in Chicago, Illinois

13 months ago

Hello! I am a newly licensed (my one year anniversary of having my license is in August) stylist. Two months after earning my license my boyfriend of 7 years and I moved out of state (from central indiana to Chicago) to allow him to pursue his dream of attending film school. This means all the clientele that I built up in school was gone. I immediately found a job as an assistant at a small salon here. In my interview, they said I would make minimum wage and would be taking classes in order to earn my chair. Months went by, and although I asked several times, they never delivered these classes. They never let any of the assistants actually assist (I spent 90% of my time in the basement cleaning and doing laundry). I barely even shampooed! It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do with my career (my boyfriend and I are both 26) and I felt like I wasn't ever going to be able to actually use my license! So finally, I confronted them and they said that they were actually revamping their assistant program and that in 6 months my classes would start and it could take 2 years to earn my chair. I was crushed...2 more years?! Oh and I would have to sign a contract and if I didn't stay with them for 2 years after my training, then I would have to pay them approximately $3000 in training fees. I wouldn't have that big of an issue with it if it wasn't for the fact that with my boyfriend being in film school we weren't real sure were his career would take us. So I left the salon. I know that I'm a good stylist, I'm really confident in my abilities -- I just want to do hair! So my question is should I just go and find another privately owned salon, knowing that I will probably be an assistant and not actually do hair for a while or should I go somewhere like JCPenney salon, great clips, hair cuttery, etc. And know that I will be able to do hair (but my last salon said that it is resume suicide doing hair at these places). I just want to do what I love! Any advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hairlover in Chicago, Illinois

13 months ago

Or would it be best to wait a until my boyfriend is done with school in a year before I decide what to do, that way I have a better idea on where we will be living?I'm just torn and confused on what to do!

lamondboyce in seattle, Washington

4 months ago

What ever you decide, make sure you have a great looking resume. Here's a sample goo.gl/SV8Sqw

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.