nusing home sylists

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Rovora in Charlotte, North Carolina

79 months ago

Help Me!!!!

Can anyone tell me how to find jobs doing hair in nursing homes. I graduate from cosmetology school in aug. but i dont want to work in a salon. I need help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

it's best to start out in a high priced fancy salon as a possible assistant to the hairdresser for at least one year. Than after the year is up, start building your own book of clientel. It would be a mistake to work in a nursing home first since you are knew in the business. I say this from 20 years of experience. Once you limit yourself to a nursing home, you might just find yourself less confident to work in a regular salon.Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Tulsa, Oklahoma

79 months ago

I absolutely love working at the "assisted living retirement center" as a stylist. You will too. It's like hanging out with your girlfriends and playing beauty shop! They are like your family.
You my friend will have a captured audience. You just show up for work.
Monday - Friday off weekends.
Mondays are reserved for color and perms you can do about 4 people this day.
The rest of the week is basically shampoos and sets.
I average 10 to 12 clients per day.
Sometimes more, depending on the service needed.
I keep very accurate records of the clients needs.
Perms/Color/Manicures/Pedicures/Haircuts.
Remember our seniors are at the age they may be experiencing a form of demincia.
Advice: Be flexible. Patient. Communication is key~if they to not like what you have done, it's important that they tell you....remember you are in a community that see's your work daily...they talk.
Also, do not allow negative gossip. They may say something negative about someone,just do not participate in that conversation...change the subject.
In my opinion this is a fast growing market, baby boomers are retiring, now is the time to get involved.
Another thing worth mentioning...your clients will move or pass away. Don't worry, you have not lost a client, but will soon get another. It's just the process of life.
So Miss Rovora...start visiting your local retirement centers and nursing homes, there is probably a stylist already there, just go introduce yourself leave a business card (make one with your name and home address and phone number/maybe a picture on it) and let them know how interested you are in servicing our seniors.
This will be a very rewarding experience for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ginger in Cadillac, Michigan

78 months ago

Is it silly for me at age 55 to want to start a career as a stylist? I've worked in childcare and retail most of my working life. I am ready for a change. Since I left high school, I've wanted to do this and the bug is still with me. I am a creative and healthy person, lots of working years left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

All i can say is " DO U"!!!! It's alot of women at my school that are around ur age. Use what God gave u to bles others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

molly in San Antonio, Texas

66 months ago

Jan in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: I absolutely love working at the "assisted living retirement center" as a stylist. You will too. It's like hanging out with your girlfriends and playing beauty shop! They are like your family.
You my friend will have a captured audience. You just show up for work.
Monday - Friday off weekends.
Mondays are reserved for color and perms you can do about 4 people this day.
The rest of the week is basically shampoos and sets.
I average 10 to 12 clients per day.
Sometimes more, depending on the service needed.
I keep very accurate records of the clients needs.
Perms/Color/Manicures/Pedicures/Haircuts.
Remember our seniors are at the age they may be experiencing a form of demincia.
Advice: Be flexible. Patient. Communication is key~if they to not like what you have done, it's important that they tell you....remember you are in a community that see's your work daily...they talk.
Also, do not allow negative gossip. They may say something negative about someone,just do not participate in that conversation...change the subject.
In my opinion this is a fast growing market, baby boomers are retiring, now is the time to get involved.
Another thing worth mentioning...your clients will move or pass away. Don't worry, you have not lost a client, but will soon get another. It's just the process of life.
So Miss Rovora...start visiting your local retirement centers and nursing homes, there is probably a stylist already there, just go introduce yourself leave a business card (make one with your name and home address and phone number/maybe a picture on it) and let them know how interested you are in servicing our seniors.
This will be a very rewarding experience for you.

hi,my name is molly i just started working in nursing home i like it but i have question about pay or should say how do you bill monthly or weekly thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thank u. that was good advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sanam in Toronto, Ontario

63 months ago

hi, my name is sanam i m hairstylist i have 5 years experince from my back home afterthat i did hairdress coures from toronto school when i finshied my coures i worked roundabout 1 year.but i don't know how can i apply in Nursing home as hairstylist or as jonier hairdresses pls help me i m new in toronto

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rmangal44@hotmail.com in Etobicoke, Ontario

21 months ago

i am from toronto n i am a licence hair stylist n is also looking to work in a nursing as a stylist, if someone knows how to go about doing so, plz let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.