providing salon services in retirement/nursing homes

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

I DO HAIR in COLUMBUS, Ohio

53 months ago

Hello, Just wondering if any of you that provide hair services in nursing homes/retirement/assisted facilities have run in to a few new companies that are taking the contracts from the little people like myself. They seem to be promising the facilities the world, and then rarely are at the facilities personally. They get the contract and then hire stylist that make very little pay while they just make the money. Many of them are from another state or from another city. They do not provide any of the services themselves. I recently got the news, a 30 day notice that , after 16 years of providing these salon services, with no complaints that I was being replaced by one of these companies. Sorry to go on and on but I really think this is wrong. I hope this is not happening to any of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reba in Walters, Oklahoma

53 months ago

yes that is exactly what happened to me . the directors and owners do not care what the residents want

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

I Do Hair in Columbus, Ohio

50 months ago

reba in Walters, Oklahoma said: yes that is exactly what happened to me . the directors and owners do not care what the residents want

It is really sad when we love our residents and haven't done anything wrong that this can happen to us. Alot of us hurt, residents are unhappy we are unhappy, families and staff. Then the reality of it all is that it is our income on top of the hurt. I am sorry also for you. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

I Do Hair in Columbus, Ohio

50 months ago

I have posted many times on this site about how wonderful Sharon's Shampoo hoods are. I just found out she has closed down. I have tried to go to some of the sites that are coming up with no luck. I called her number and there is a message that says she has closed down. Do any of you know if she has sold her business to anyone else as I will be lost without her hoods. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angel heart in Cheswick, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

That is what happen to me 17 years in this company an I get the boot now I'm having trouble finding work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lovemygoldengirls in Elyria, Ohio

28 months ago

These companies are a huge insult to the caring hairdressers that work in these facilities. They make promises and hoard the money for the CEO's and upper management that we work so hard to bring in. And what makes this even worse is, they buy products that myself as a previous independent contractor would never use...not even on my dog. We need to take a stand and bring this industry back to ourselves. The pot isn't big enough to share with a 3rd party that promises and doesn't deliver.45 % commission is barely minimum wage for our devoted work. These companies are the up and coming trend girls.....they are hitting a huge turnover with the babyboomers. The situation is only going to get worse until we speak up...strike or do whatever it takes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

nellieo234@hotmail.com in Omaha, Nebraska

26 months ago

I have worked in a samll salon in a manor in western Nebaska for the past 12 years and have found that the management has always been very poor. This is a place where they don't respect the salon or me they put all their coats, purses,TV used for training in there and the salon does not even meet the guide lines with the state... It has been a up hill battle all the way. I was bullied by the social worker for years nad there is no one to back you up. Anyone can say or do anything to you and the are protected and you are guilty as charged. I furnished my own hair dryers and everything else but everyone else used them as they were theirs. I was accused of three very serious things and no one was there to protect me. They hired a traveling cosmotolgist and the families and the families say they haven't seen her yet this has been a month

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary A Coulter in Bennington, Vermont

24 months ago

I Do Hair in Columbus, Ohio said: I have posted many times on this site about how wonderful Sharon's Shampoo hoods are. I just found out she has closed down. I have tried to go to some of the sites that are coming up with no luck. I called her number and there is a message that says she has closed down. Do any of you know if she has sold her business to anyone else as I will be lost without her hoods. thanks

Try shampoohoods.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I Do Hair in Columbus, Ohio said: I have posted many times on this site about how wonderful Sharon's Shampoo hoods are. I just found out she has closed down. I have tried to go to some of the sites that are coming up with no luck. I called her number and there is a message that says she has closed down. Do any of you know if she has sold her business to anyone else as I will be lost without her hoods. thanks

Shampoohoods.com

Smitty in Old Bridge, New Jersey

24 months ago

I Do Hair in Grove City, Ohio said: well great news for you maybe,, after about 8 months with their new salon company that made big promises.... guess what?? i got my contract back, i was offered it back and of course i could have said forget it, but you know i loved my residents there and their families, so i went back. we are all very happy. so hang in maybe it will happen for you too. just make sure the facility you contracted with knows you are open to come back if they were happier with your services, chances are they were or soon will see that they were,

I am intersted in opening up a salon in a nursing home.Can anyone tell me what I need to do. I'm not sure how to go about it.

24 months ago

I DO HAIR in COLUMBUS, Ohio said: Hello, Just wondering if any of you that provide hair services in nursing homes/retirement/assisted facilities have run in to a few new companies that are taking the contracts from the little people like myself. They seem to be promising the facilities the world, and then rarely are at the facilities personally. They get the contract and then hire stylist that make very little pay while they just make the money. Many of them are from another state or from another city . They do not provide any of the services themselves. I recently got the news, a 30 day notice that , after 16 years of providing these salon services, with no complaints that I was being replaced by one of these companies. Sorry to go on and on but I really think this is wrong. I hope this is not happening to any of you.

Do you use shampoo hoods in the salon?

HandsofGold in Christiana, Pennsylvania

9 months ago

reba in Walters, Oklahoma said: yes that is exactly what happened to me . the directors and owners do not care what the residents want

So very true...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.