Photo shoot stylist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Tasha in Cincinnati, Ohio

73 months ago

I recently acquired a book that I don't know if you have yet or not but it's called The Hair, Makeup, and Career Guide by Crystal A. Wright and it tells you everything about getting into that type of work. It also has resources on where you find the people who can help you and agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LISSY in Bremerton, Washington

73 months ago

I'm looking for information on how to become a hairstylist its my senior project. i want to know the right teqhniques, how to please a customer, if the customers hair(texture) will work on the type of hair they have and any other info you have

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany W in Columbus, Ohio

70 months ago

I have been doing hair for four years and recently assisting on photo shoots for the web. I'm very interested in taking this farther and making a career out of it. Please tell me if anyone has any information of how to start or if any open positions or even assisting is available.... THANKS SO MUCH

Britt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tai in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

It's not easy to freelance. You have to make contacts and do alot of free work for images (TFP which is Test/Trade for Pics, or TFCD which is Test/Trade for CD) I have been freelancing for a year and a half, I have a ton of work in my portfolio, I was networking my butt off. Start out with a Model Mayhem and go from there. Good luck to everyone. Make sure you have plenty of creditials and images in your resume/portfolio!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tai in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

OH, professional pics are a must! Just like starting out in a salon, it takes time, effort and dedication! It takes a while before you will get paid gigs...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Justin Cunningham in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

I want to represent the work I do in photo's to better build a profile for future refrences, I see comments, but how is this page going to help me find what I am looking for? Who am I supposed to be talking to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SMC in Lawrence, Kansas

52 months ago

I am an art buyer at an ad agency and the photographers we work with have about 3-4 stylists they each prefer to work with.

You could contact local commercial photographers and ask about working with them on some shoots. Ask them if they have any pro bono work coming up that they need a stylist for - it won't pay, but it will build your portfolio and give you contacts. You'll be given the input you need to shop for wardrobe and accessories and create the look the agency needs for their shoot. I always try to include sample images to create the vibe we are going for and let the stylist go from there.

See if you have a local ad club chapter in your area and contact them to see if they can help you find a way to establish yourself.

Do work on friends and take some well lit shots to build your portfolio.

Be sure to show a range. Some fashion. Some everyday.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

M. C. in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

35 months ago

In film production I use the local production guides to book all talents. I also go by word of mouth too, but not without seeing a portfolio. Portfolio's are necessary, ones that are easy and fast for us to flip through and have no fall outs. If you have multi talent, such as make up, hair and nails,. all the better! We don't have time to sit long, Time is money in film. Every film has a budget, it depends on pay. Don't work for free unless it's internship for return credit for school, or at a prestigious place. You'll make a yourself a bad name working free in film. Each city has it's own production guide, and each state does too. List yourself locally because starting out especially they won't pay your travel airfare etc. Usually the cost to place yourself in production guides are reasonable. List yourselves in all the categories that apply to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

M. C. in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

35 months ago

In film production I use the local production guides to book all talents. I also go by word of mouth too, but not without seeing a portfolio. Portfolio's are necessary, ones that are easy and fast for us to flip through and have no fall outs. If you have multi talent, such as make up, hair and nails,. all the better! We don't have time to sit long, Time is money in film. Every film has a budget, it depends on pay. Don't work for free unless it's internship for return credit for school, or at a prestigious place. You'll make a yourself a bad name working free in film. Each city has it's own production guide, and each state does too. List yourself locally because starting out especially they won't pay your travel airfare etc. Usually the cost to place yourself in production guides are reasonable. List yourselves in all the categories that apply to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

My purpose in Atlanta, Georgia

24 months ago

Your an angel..thanks a million!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

yaya7556 in Los Angeles, California

12 months ago

Brittany W in Columbus, Ohio said: I have been doing hair for four years and recently assisting on photo shoots for the web. I'm very interested in taking this farther and making a career out of it. Please tell me if anyone has any information of how to start or if any open positions or even assisting is available.... THANKS SO MUCH

Britt

If you are in the LA area I teach an editorial hairstyling class. I have been shooting for 10 years and a hairstylist for 13 years. I have worked for Toni and Guy and traveled nationally teaching people how to do hair. If your interested I can send you info. Message me at carolinayasukawa@yahoo.com and check out my website at www.carolinayasukawa.net

Good Luck

Nerddd_ in Long Beach, California

13 days ago

I am a hairstylist in long beach area I want to persue my work further. I love working on set to all photographers needing a hairstylist please contact me nereydaa08@gmail.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.