91 months ago

Thank you so much for your advice! :)

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

tinayoogin in Cary, North Carolina

90 months ago

Katherine in Cary, North Carolina said: Hair is an expression of our personality, it gets altered, and grow's back , we have control over it. My life is all about my artistic abilities. I am now 22 and have decided to start a career as a hairstylist. I have a very big dilema. I live in Raleigh North Carolina and the only schools are Aveda and Mitchell's. I am not sure which school would be best and offer the training and skills I need to be sucessful. I was wondering if someone could help with advice as to where would be a more beneficial place to attend? Also would anyone advise starting as an appretiance with a salon while in school? Thanks so Much!!!

I have the same problem as you. I live in Apex, North Carolina and am looking for a beauty school as well. I am almost 20 and currently enrolled at Appalachian State University as a psych major. However cosmetology is my dream. If you need more info you can email me at tinayoogin@gmail.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

charSIOUX FALLS in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

90 months ago

i've been doing hair for 2 years. my paychecks are about 600 dollars twice a month. i work about 32-40 hours a week. i also make about 100 a week in tips.

average expected tip for:
cut-2-7 dollars
color service- 5-10 dollars
wax-2 dollars
perm-5 dollars.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Starr

89 months ago

You speak the truth & if all else fails I still have my degree to back it all up!!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

roseann84@*****.*** in Maple Shade, New Jersey

89 months ago

I am a 53 year old woman who has been administrative assistant since I graduated high school. I never really like what I did for a living. Now I am an HR Assistant and I am totally bored with my job. I have always thought I would like to be a Hair Stylist. I figure I have another 11 or so years to work. I don't want it to be stuck in an office. I don't have to worry about health insurance as I am on my husband's. I would like to hear what kind of advice current hair stylist can give me.

Reply - Report abuse

daniellelane1 in Marietta, Georgia

89 months ago

hi there, if you have always wanted to do hair then do it. you only live once. If your doing it for money then thats the wrong reason!!! I love what I do. Be happy and live while you can. Its fun but you must go to as many hair shows as possible thats the fun part... have fun and be happy.

Reply - Report abuse

Rosey in Marylalnd in Columbia, Maryland

89 months ago

Thanks Daniellelane1,

I'm going for it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Secret stylist

89 months ago

I just got a job teaching and I love it. I have had my Instructors License for 19 years and I never really tried to get into teaching until the last two years. When ever a school needed a Instructor they would get my address from State Board and I was always getting letters from the schools to teach. For the last two years I have tried every chance I got to work for a school only to be tould I do not have enough expirence.I finally found a school that would up date me and show me their way of teaching and lesson plan used. They starting me off at 13.50 an hour. It is a Mon - Fri job 8:30-5:00 and I love it and best thing for me personally I did not have to fake it till I make it.In Arizona a year after you get your Cosmetology license you can go back and get your Instructors License I really believe with schools being 12,000.00 and higher your monthly payments will be about 300.00 a month for 10 years it might be less, this might be the best way to go to pay off the loan and keep up with monthly bills.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sherry in Larsen, Wisconsin

89 months ago

Ginny Scott in Mound City, Kansas said: Howdy all! I am a RN. I have always wanted to be a cosmo girl, love fixing hair. It lights up my world! I am at a fork in the road. If I would have listened to myself 10yrs ago I would already be a cosmetologist, (that's another story) so I became a registered nurse. Now I am sick to death of nursing. I have two small children 8yr (today is her b-day!)and 4yr, we also want to have more. My question is have any of you or know anyone who went through beauty school with kids and supported monetary 1/2 salary in the house? Cosmo school at the college near here is monday thru friday 8a-4p so that puts work on the weekends which is fine, but what did anyone else do? Do you think it is a good idea to even consider this being 31yrs/old? just wish God would write it in black and white sometimes!lol

Hey Girl, I'm 51 & laid-off. I thought I would like a career in Hairstyling. Now I might just find out! I feel young at heart/style. Plus I still have 15 yrs to work & enjoy it. I'm checking into the Paul Mitchell school in our area.
Sherry

Reply - Report abuse

Rosy in Maryland in Maple Shade, New Jersey

89 months ago

Sherry,

I'm 53 and I am starting hair school in two weeks. It's never too late and, yes, I have about another 12 or so years to work. Maybe more with the economy. I want to enjoy the remaining of my working years. I say go for it.

Reply - Report abuse

sherry in Arlington, Wisconsin

89 months ago

Rosy in Maryland in Maple Shade, New Jersey said: Sherry,

I'm 53 and I am starting hair school in two weeks. It's never too late and, yes, I have about another 12 or so years to work. Maybe more with the economy. I want to enjoy the remaining of my working years. I say go for it.

I was just job searching on-line........nothing out there but fast food places,& I'm tired of working in the Factory for the $$. I'm alittle scared because I always did what I had to do (for the $$/insurance etc.)not what I wanted or would enjoy. I think this lay-off is perfect timing....time for something for ME for a change! Enjoying the rest of my years sounds sooo good!

Reply - Report abuse

LB in New Rochelle, New York

89 months ago

working at a stylist and making $8 an hour and I'm either salary or commission, is this correct I've been led to believe it is salary plus commission until my commission excedes my salary...can someone help me with this

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

erica in Cincinnati, Ohio

89 months ago

yeah i want to know that too? is it just 8 bucks an hour plus tips? how hard is it to get hired at a place (fresh out of school) for commission?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

erica in Cincinnati, Ohio

89 months ago

also schooling is monday-friday 9-5... i have to work a part time job and pay a little bit of bills. what kind of jobs do people work while theyre in school full time??? most serving places want me to be there at 5, i would never make it on time.. what to do?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sarajeane in Laurel, Maryland

89 months ago

Joshua in Gig Harbor, Washington said: As a hairstylist you can choose how much you make. If you really apply yourself and become very good at your trade you can make lots of money. You can make $8 an hour or $800 an hour depending on how much you want to work it and spend mastering your trade. I am actually still a student and only halfway through beauty school but I have been working very hard and making lots of connections. As it stands right now I have a salon that wants me as soon as I graduate. They charge $100 for a haircut and I would make a 40% comission off of that and they charge between $150 - $200 for hair coloring. So I am looking at around $40 an hour when I graduate. There is nothing special about me, I am just someone that really wants it. If you are going to do it I would highly recommend using a Paul Mitchell School. They are awesome schools with great education and provide you with lots of opportunities.
I GO TO A PAUL MITCHELL SCHOOL(HAIR EXPRESSIONS) I BASICALLY HAVE A MONTH LEFT AND I FOUND SALONS ALL OVER MY AREA READY TO HIRE ME AND MOST OF THEM I FOUND OUT ABOUT BECAUSE OF MY SCHOOL....BUT ABOUT PAY U CAN START OFF AT 10$/HR + TIPS + PERCENTAGE WHICH IN THE SALON I PLAN TO WORK AT ITS 10$/HR + 35% SERVICES + TIPS AND THATS JUST ENTRY LEVEL... AND I ALSO ADVISE THAT YOU DO NOT START OFF DOING BOOTH RENTALS...

Reply - Report abuse

Secret stylist

89 months ago

Obama passed some kind of aid while your going to school you can get paid every two weeks. You can get as much as 400.00 or more every two weeks for the hours you go to beautican school. I was tould by our Director their is so much aid available but the student has to ask for it that the school can not just offer it to them, it is a catch 22 if you do not know the question to ask, you just do not know it's available. Our Director and Financial Advisor have been to many meetings for the different aid that is availabe and the key to free money is knowing how it is available. I just hope all schools are informed, it really makes a big difference in someones life.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Secret stylist

89 months ago

Usually the hourly is the base pay, and if you go over the hourly for the amount you are making you get comm. Every one fresh out of school or doing hair 20 years has the same option at different places. J.C Penney,Cost Cutters,Master cuts, Regis, Trade Secrets,Smart Style, & Great Clips are just a few.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

nikki in Manchester, Tennessee

89 months ago

Hey everyone!!

I just wanted to know if anyone has had my problem...

Okay so i'm 17 and i'm graduating from high school early. I planned to go to a local community college for basics in January, but I have always been interested in doing hair. So lately I have come to the conclusion that I want to be happy and do what I want for me.

My problem is that my mother won't support me. She thinks that I will be poor and have nothing in life money wise because I am used to the lifestyle that she has provided for me(which has been very lovely). Although money is important to me, I don't want to be miserable. I don't really know how to show her that I can really do something and make money as a hair stylist. Any advice?? I'm really just upset right now...

Reply - Report abuse

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

89 months ago

Secret stylist said: Obama passed some kind of aid while your going to school you can get paid every two weeks. You can get as much as 400.00 or more every two weeks for the hours you go to beautican school. I was tould by our Director their is so much aid available but the student has to ask for it that the school can not just offer it to them, it is a catch 22 if you do not know the question to ask, you just do not know it's available. Our Director and Financial Advisor have been to many meetings for the different aid that is availabe and the key to free money is knowing how it is available. I just hope all schools are informed, it really makes a big difference in someones life.

Is this for every program or is it just for hair school? Is this some of the ARRA stimilus money? Where do you find the info for this stipend?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

notsupercuts in Modesto, California

89 months ago

KiANNA in Greensboro, North Carolina said: Yes, I plan to become a hairstylist also after I graduate from college from Accounting and Education major. I plan to open my own salon when I'm older. So, I'm still doing a lot of research on how to run the business. I practice by cutting people hair for free. They always tell me I should consider cutting hair for a career, because they were always satisfied with their hair when I cut it for them, lately I got a lot of phone call, there are a lot of people want me to cut their hair, I barely have time since I work full-time and attending school at night, but usually I'm free to on the weekends, and I also cut my own hair, and people always tell me they thought I had it done by a pro. They always tell me ask if I have time to do for them. Do you think that is a good way to start my career? I mean think about it, they've must have trusted me to let me cut their hair. A lot of my friends tell other people about me. I love cutting people hair I like to make people feel good about themselves.

stay with accounting you'll never "make money" being a salon owner

Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie

89 months ago

I think you are going to be just fine doing hair. But first get a degree in business.

Reply - Report abuse

daniellelane1 in Marietta, Georgia

89 months ago

The people who make $800. an hour live in L.A. or New york. you can make great money! but do not expect great money rite out of school. you wont make alot of money working for any franchise but you will get education and get certified to
do alot of things and they pay for it. Education is the key! Long hours, hard work, but when you love what you do your not just always working. (if that makes since).

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

busygrl in Southaven, Mississippi

89 months ago

Hi I am a 32 years old looking to change my career and go into this industry. I live near the memphis area and I am trying to determine which school is the best in the area for cosmotology. I have been in management for 15 years and have earned a salary of 50,000 and more, but the job is killing me physically, spiriually and emotionally.My ultimate goal is to have my own salon. How difficult and how long does it take to start your owm salon and if I decided to relocate after I get my license will I have to requalify for a new state? One more thing do all schools teach you how to do all textures of hair, cultures and races?

Reply - Report abuse

Secret stylist

89 months ago

You should never under estimate your self by cutting someones hair for free or a below any money price ,that might be the only reason they are coming to you to get their hair cut. I cut a regular clients hair for 16 years and when I left the shop they got in contact with me. For the last six years I have either cut their hair at the their office or when working at the shop. I would charge only 10.00 each at their office because they alway gave a 10.00 tip per person. It took me four months to find a job in a shop. I found one the cuts were 24.00 each. When I called I was tould that was too much for a hair cut and if I could cut their hair at the office. This job was 2 days a week on Sat and Sun. I tould them I needed to find a steady job during the week. I mailed them a 5.00 off coupon for each member. I have not heard form them since. I think of them each month and I just hope they are happy.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Secret stylist

89 months ago

All I know is to ask your school,if you don't ask some won't offer. All I know it by is Obama plan and I see people getting their checks every two weeks.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

hi in Caro, Michigan

89 months ago

kkkk

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jessie in Ottawa, Ontario

89 months ago

Depending on where you work. You can make $7.00 dollars an hour.
If you get into an upper scale salon,you can make $70,000 a year ,once you build clients. The tips are better in the upper scale as the clients have more money too tip.I have made $50.00 tips for color where I work.it took me about 5 years to build the client base I wanted.I make 60% commission. Then my tips on top of that. I make a very good living.I have bought a house,and I basically live off my tips.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Ottawa, Ontario

89 months ago

Danielle in Marietta, Georgia said: I've been doin hair for 14 yrs. I just moved to Atl Ga I will tell you that I started working in a salon in of 07 and at first it was very slow but I got out & gave my card to every person I saw on my days off.On the
days I did work, tuesday-saturday I was there open to close and didnt leave for
a minute. I gave each client what they
wanted wether I agreed or not, I would give them my opinion but ultimatly give
them the best version of what they want and they DID come back. After about 4 months of return clients and word of mouth I was steady. It took me a solid 9 months to be FULL.after 2 yrs I had to leave due to health issues for about
6 months.I left my client book with the color formula's . I returned in January to work and called what numbers I
had to let them know I was back but that I wouldnt be working but 2 to 3 days a week.I did intend on only working a little but I love what I do as much now as I did in the beginnig. I love hairshows, they give me motivation and I take every
class I can.The first thing I tell new stylist is when they go for a job the most
important thing is to ask about contin. ed.classes Styles and trends change everyday . My job is my hobby and if I start not to like it I figure out how to change it or I move on.The passion you have will show through in your work.

With that attitude,you will always be a success. Good luck

Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Ottawa, Ontario

89 months ago

With that attitude you will always be a success. Good luck!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

busygrl in Southaven, Mississippi said: Hi I am a 32 years old looking to change my career and go into this industry. I live near the memphis area and I am trying to determine which school is the best in the area for cosmotology. I have been in management for 15 years and have earned a salary of 50,000 and more, but the job is killing me physically, spiriually and emotionally.My ultimate goal is to have my own salon. How difficult and how long does it take to start your owm salon and if I decided to relocate after I get my license will I have to requalify for a new state? One more thing do all schools teach you how to do all textures of hair, cultures and races?

You would have to get a license for that state when you are relocating. You would need to contact the State board in the state you are thinking about relocating to. Most hair schools teach you how to do techniques on mannequin (not sure of spelling) heads which is usually caucasion hair. You will get to practice on different textures of hair depending on your clientele that comes to your hair school for services. Choose a hair school that has a lot of outside clients that come in for services, so that way you would be able to practice on different cultures.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Thank you for your input. I am having a hard time trying to determine which school to attend. Should I attend a basic technical college just to get a start or go all out and try some of the bigger schools like remington that are far more expensive. Or do they all teach the same thing?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

busygrl in Southaven, Mississippi said: Thank you for your input. I am having a hard time trying to determine which school to attend. Should I attend a basic technical college just to get a start or go all out and try some of the bigger schools like remington that are far more expensive. Or do they all teach the same thing?

They basically teach all the same things. You would probably need to save money by going to a basic technical college and then take classes on cutting, coloring, etc. later on after you get your license. Do what you feel. If you think the other school with teach you more techniques, then go with it. Are you thinking about moving to Memphis, since it is close to Southhaven?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

I have not decided yet. I guess I'll make that call when I finish school. Thanks again for all of your input it has helped me settle some questions. I guess I won't know if i need any extra help unless i just jump in and start somewhere. Thanks again.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Serious_Style in Springfield, Ohio

88 months ago

In Ohio Pell Grants can be used for beauty school. In Tennessee you can use the Pell for beauty school as long as the school is a participant in the Federal Student Aid Program. For other states, I would ask the school if they are a participant in Federal Student Aid and go from there. I am using a Pell at my current beauty school.

Kay Whittenhauer in Webster, New York said: As far as going back to school when you're older: Most older people don't qualify for any public or private tuition assistance unless they're already on public aid/recieving benfits. Pell grants are not available for beauty schools (at least not around here, now...maybe it was different in the '80's). It's $12K a year to go to cosmotology school full-time. Most people can't leave a full-time job to go to school full-time and take on that kind of debt. Although you may want to "follow your dreams" there are a lot of pragmatic issues to consider. Basically, unless you're very poor or very rich beauty school is out of the question for middle-aged (ansd middle-income) people.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Serious_Style in Springfield, Ohio

88 months ago

Hey all. When researching this topic I came across a website that lists many U.S. cities/states and the average stylist salary in that area. www.rileyguide.com/careers/cosmetologists.shtml

Hope this helps.

Reply - Report abuse

Teacher in Jupiter, Florida

88 months ago

Ginny Scott in Mound City, Kansas said: Howdy all! I am a RN. I have always wanted to be a cosmo girl, love fixing hair. It lights up my world! I am at a fork in the road. If I would have listened to myself 10yrs ago I would already be a cosmetologist, (that's another story) so I became a registered nurse. Now I am sick to death of nursing. I have two small children 8yr (today is her b-day!)and 4yr, we also want to have more. My question is have any of you or know anyone who went through beauty school with kids and supported monetary 1/2 salary in the house? Cosmo school at the college near here is monday thru friday 8a-4p so that puts work on the weekends which is fine, but what did anyone else do? Do you think it is a good idea to even consider this being 31yrs/old? just wish God would write it in black and white sometimes!lol

I was a stylist full time/ part time for 12 years and then went to school to be a teacher for more stability better salary hours etc. I have been doing this for 11 years this year ( I am 42) I am torn between going back to hair and staying where I am at ( burned out). Hmmmmmmm?
Anyway hair can be flexible but you do have to build up a clientel unless you are in a value salon or Barbershop where they have a steady flow of customers. I miss doind hair and am planning on going back and starting over and maybe opening a salon in the next few years. I really miss the people interactions with adults the gossip.
I say go for your dreams!!!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Teacher in Jupiter, Florida said: I was a stylist full time/ part time for 12 years and then went to school to be a teacher for more stability better salary hours etc. I have been doing this for 11 years this year ( I am 42) I am torn between going back to hair and staying where I am at ( burned out). Hmmmmmmm?
Anyway hair can be flexible but you do have to build up a clientel unless you are in a value salon or Barbershop where they have a steady flow of customers. I miss doind hair and am planning on going back and starting over and maybe opening a salon in the next few years. I really miss the people interactions with adults the gossip.
I say go for your dreams!!!!!!!

You are burned out with teaching? I thought about certifying to teach through the alternate route but I'm not sure about it just yet. There are plenty of openings in education. I'm not altogether sure about cosmetology either. I know how to do hair and have practiced on my head and others, but I'm concerned about going to hair school full-time. I have bills to pay and need to be working full-time. There are only a few schools that offer the hair program part-time or at night. What advice would you give a person like me? LOL

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Elena in Kirkland, Washington

88 months ago

Jenny-Florida in Richardson, Texas said: Hairstylist are the 2nd highest paid profession in the world. However, there are "2" types of hairstylist... Learned and Gifted. When you are a learned hairstylist, you copy and mimick what you see, therefore you can only make a certain amount of money. But when you are "gifted", you are passionate, innovative, patient and hunger to know all about your craft...you can command your dollar. By the way I earn a six-figure income doing hair.

Hello, thank you for shareing your information and prospective. I am in my 40's and have always and mean always wanted to be in the beauty industry. I was the young teenager who did all of her friends hair and make up. Along the way I did damage some (only some) of their hair, but they kept coming back for more. As a mom, when my teen turned 14 I began my career as a wanna be make up artist and hairstylist. My daughter loves how I do her hair and make up, her friends are in my client list as well.

Enough of that, I am going through a very difficult decision process. I am ready to start a second career and I want to follow what I always wanted to do. I have a successfull career in sales/management and I am still nervous about jump out of of my current career and leaving behind a 6 digit income. You must be really good and posses a lot of drive to achieve such success. I am scared and nervous, I know I will never know if I dont try. Thanks for the hope. Any advise?

Reply - Report abuse

candace in Fishers, Indiana

88 months ago

Hi,
I have a very diffult decision to make, i am currently in college going for Radiology, (Radiologic Technician), which is a very good paying job. I recently became interested in doing nails, and maybe hair. And im not sure which would make more, and if going to school for 2 years would be better than only going to 5 months, just to make more money. Im almost positive that i would have WAY more fun doing nails and hair, but i have to think about my future, and if i can support a family on A Nail Techs income. What should i do?

Reply - Report abuse

sheric in Fleming Island, Florida

88 months ago

You attract the type of clients that are most like you. So DRESS like the clients you want to attract. I wanted clients and their families that could AFFORD ME. So, I went to work in a salon that catered to the clientele that catered to those types of people. I found out where they went and got their hair done. You of all people should be able to do your due diligence and find out where their stomping grounds are! Then, I groveled to assist the colourists in those salons and learned every thing I could from each of them. Colorists make the most money. I got my cosmetology license, but only cut, colored, and permed hair. I found my target market and went after them. I learned which market was reliable and which market was unreliable. Some clientele are constant 'no shows', and we 'all know' which clientele that is. I am EXTREMELY PICKY and attract picky clients. Picky clients are difficult, but they don't 'move'. They follow. :) When my husband was transferred to the Pentagon, my clients flew to DC for me to do their hair. That's how loyal my clients were. When I moved to another city, I let everyone in the new salon know I was 'picky'....the word spread. In TWO WEEKS, I was booked solid SIX WEEKS IN ADVANCE. I am extremely particular, somewhat bitchy, very nice, but I demand perfection and every single one of my clients looks spectacular. Their color is perfect. They look outstanding. And they will pay top dollar. I TELL them how wonderful they will look. I tell them that to stay looking wonderful they MUST use professional products or they will look like they bought 5 and Dime hair products. I am always selling. I don't B.S. them; I protect my ASSETS ! I KEEP IMPECCABLE NOTES ON MY PERSONAL FILES, OF MY FORMULAS & CLIENT'S NAMES & ADDRESSES; NOT ON SOME COMPANY COMPUTER. TEACH, BUT NEVER SHARE a CLIENT'S FORMULA WITH ANYONE. IF I WANT TO GIVE UP THE CLIENT, THEN SHARE

Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

candace in Fishers, Indiana said: Hi,
I have a very diffult decision to make, i am currently in college going for Radiology, (Radiologic Technician), which is a very good paying job. I recently became interested in doing nails, and maybe hair. And im not sure which would make more, and if going to school for 2 years would be better than only going to 5 months, just to make more money. Im almost positive that i would have WAY more fun doing nails and hair, but i have to think about my future, and if i can support a family on A Nail Techs income. What should i do?

Candace, honestly, go to be a radiology tech. You will have better benefits and be able to support your family. There are too many nail huts out there with people doing nails for a song on the side. During the Depression, hair dressers still made a living because people had to still get their hair done. But people will give up their nails when the going gets tough. The medical profession is a growing profession and one that's a 'sure bet. Nail's is a nice side business and you can make money if you own some larger nail/pedicure salons, but you had better have the staff.

If it's about a 'sure bet', you can learn skills in hair if you're good with people. You can learn skills with radiology even if you're not good with people. You need to decide whether or not you want a 'sure bet'. I'd go for the sure bet if it's nails or radiology. Hands down, its radiology.

By the way, have you considered having the Navy pay for it?

Reply - Report abuse

candace in Fishers, Indiana

88 months ago

SheriC
Thank you for your advice and im thinking your right, i should stink with radiology, about the navy thing...im not sure i know what you mean.

Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I have to say something else, as a salon owner, I always learned a client's name. I made them feel special. Because I taught everyone how to keep a clientele. And I always wanted my hair dresser's clients to feel as though they could trust me, in case something went awry or they were not treated well. And sometimes, it did happen. Something that I would see the girls do that I tried to break is their negative attitude. YOU TRY TO BE A 'glass is half-full' kind of person'. They would come in, see my book full, look at their book HALF-EMPTY, then have the receptionist call and cancel their clients to move them to the next day's appointments so they could have a day off. Then come pay-day, they'd GRIPE because their paycheck was AWFUL compared to So & So's who isn't as good of a hair dresser. I'd explain that So & So is getting so much better and picked up a couple of THEIR clients because some called back and decided to come in anyway because they did not like being inconvenienced, especially when they booked in advance for an appointment. We TRAINED clients to BOOK when the LEAVE from getting their hair done, then to have a LAZY hair dresser UNDO OUR TRAINING. Not good. Not good for the hair dresser or the Salon. And it back fires eventually because clients are people, too, and can pick up on negative attitudes. So, no matter how you build your business, remember, each client you come in contact with, will potentially stay with you for life, so learn their name and address and phone, write it down on YOUR personal records, so if you leave that salon, you can contact them to TELL THEM. Yes, even if you go to a Super Cuts, you can do this. Every client is important enough to learn their name...and yours, too. Give them your card and cell number. Tell them to call you if they have ANY trouble with their cut! Any trouble. You are there for them. And make them believe that you mean it. This is how you build a business. Believe me. Being available, caring, & good.

Reply - Report abuse

Chelsey in Ottawa, Ontario

88 months ago

That is what I call a business woman.

Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

candace in Fishers, Indiana said: SheriC
Thank you for your advice and im thinking your right, i should stink with radiology, about the navy thing...im not sure i know what you mean.

I mean, go into the Navy! Yes, the Navy trains you, pays for your training, and gives you great medical benefits, too. Enlistment is a short price to pay to learn a great skill. And fantastic benefits, OJT, and a great resume to boot! Just looking out for you. Don't turn your nose up at the suggestion until you check it out. My husband is a retired military officer, my son is in the military, (been in the Army, National Guard, now Navy, and he's a lifer for the Navy), and my father retired Navy, and my son in law is going to enlist, hopefully. I'm telling you, there are FANTASTIC benefits for women, too. I would only suggest the Navy though. Less demanding physically... And well, I could sell you on it, but in your situation, it would be a serious consideration for you to look into especially if you have a family. I would not steer you wrong. I would much rather someone pay me to go to school, give me a place to live while I go to school, feed me while I go to school, and pay for the school, too... and all I have to to is to work for them for a few years and get paid, with a host of so many 'ghost' benefits that are tax free that are incredible. Are you kidding? That's a sweet deal. The pay may not look like much until you add up all of the true benefits. Yep, you need to listen to me on this one. Talk to a Navy recruiter if you are healthy.

Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I started thinking about this site and people wanting to know what you can get paid. Right now, if I went back to work, I would be six figures... EASY. (Having a hair license...I guarantee you, you will always be working for free, for someone for the rest of your life). So, my last 'real' paying job was part time, because my husband was transferred to a different town in the military about two hours away. I had sold my business by then and worked for a salon with 50+ employees. I was their top two money makers. They hated to see me leave. My client's hated to see me leave. I already had a schedule that was one day on, one day off because of the nerves in my hands. (So take many breaks or you can RUIN THE NERVES IN YOUR HANDS AND WRISTS!!! I HAVE JOINT DAMAGE AND HAVE HAD SURGERY AND THIS IS NO SIMPLE CARPAL TUNNEL STUFF.) So, I only worked three days a week when I worked 'full time', with an assistant that only shampooed, draped clients, took down perms, ran errands, kissed client's buttocks. I paid half their salary and the salon the other half, and they got tips and I taught them well.

I had to make this worth my while, so, I trimmed the "fat" off my clientele. I took only full priced hair cuts, meaning 'no reduced men or children prices'. If they still wanted me to cut their hair, they paid full price. I did no blow outs, or sets, no up-dos or frilly hair. I kept my schedule to basically only to cut's and colours, some perms, (and not many of those 10 years ago).

And in 22 months while we were stationed 'there', I was STILL top money maker the weeks I was there by working only TWO days EVERY OTHER WEEK. I made $42K part time. Not bad pay... and I don't have paperwork hanging over my head when I go home. When I go home my work is 'done'.

Many hairdressers are also careless. There is a BUSINESS side of hairdressing, so LEARN IT. DON'T BE STUPID! MAKE SOME MONEY, SAVE @ least 1/2 YOUR TIPS. You will be in shock, if you are honest, after the first year.

Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Let me clarify, roughly $42K per year.

Reply - Report abuse

stacy in Murrieta, California

88 months ago

SheriC in Fleming Island, Florida said: Let me clarify, roughly $42K per year.

i increase my pay by buying hair from cherry blossom and selling it to my clients too. off two 4oz packs i make a extra $50 some moths a make as much as $3000 extra. cheeck them out chryb.com

Reply - Report abuse

All About Hair in Jacksonville, Florida

87 months ago

I have worked in the business for many years. I worked as an assistant and was paid by the hour. I worked in salons where I was paid by the hour, by how many cuts I could do in an hour hour, paid straight commison, paid a commison on a sliding scale according to my performace for the week. I have worked in salons where I paid for my own booth, products, advertising, phone, insurance, bookkepper and everything else that goes with it. I owned my own salon and have had hairstylist working in that salon in all of these same positons. I would not trade any of the experinece that I received in any one of the situations I mentioned above. Knowing what I know now, if I were giving advice to a new or a struggling stylist, I would reccomend first working as an assistant for a busy stylist for 1 year. I would even recommend working for more than one stylist. Work 2 days in a salon for a busy stylist and then 2 in a different salon for another stylist and so on and so forth. You will learn so much in a short time that the sacrifice of your time will be priceless. A note: if you do not get along with a snooty stylist as their assistant move on, there are salons on every corner and you can always find a job. Don't let anyone tell you this is not true. Its your carrerr don't let anyone abuse you because you are assisting. Now, my next advice is this. Go to more school. It takes years to learn this skill. Go to school out of state, N.Y., London, California, Florida, and as many trade shows as you can afford. Whe attending these shows waste no time, remember time is so important. Take cutting classes while there, color classes, and any class that interest you. You can write these cost off during tax time. Don't say that you can't afford it. Borrow and learn your craft quick, invest in yourself and the money will come back to you in multiples. Always attempt to do the uncomforatable. That is where the money will always be. Perfect you skill in haircolor.

Reply - Report abuse

Mary-ann in Ottawa, Ontario

87 months ago

Hi everyone, I have been reading your commens. I like most of then.
I really need anyone's advice. I am 30 years old, and I am thinking of beauty school because I love hairstylist because is part of fashion. I also would like to be a social service worker because I would like to have a desk job; however,I can stop thinking of hairstylist. So, I do not know what to do. I just want to state that I do not care about the low salary of a hairstylist; I am just consern of not being able to perform the job because I have never cut hair before. Right now I am in college for the social service worker program, but as I mentioned it is only because I want a desk job. I also know, if I put my heart into any of this occupations; I will be good at it. I was also considering going to beauty school, get a job for a while,and then go to college, but I am getting old with 3 children.
Please I will take anyone's advice.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.