how much do hairstylist get paid?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (901 to 950 of 1632)
Page:  « First « Previous   16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next »   Last »

Salon Owner in Ohio in Cleveland, Ohio

65 months ago

rock'nHAIR in Houston, Texas said:

You are quite welcome. I do recommend that you do employee based rather than booth rental.... especially if you have a vision and a dream of how your salon will run. If you booth rent it is the same as renting an apartment. Make sense? Many times it is hard to form a "team" environment with renters... not impossible.... but yes... very very hard to find it working that way. I know of 1 that does well in L.A.

As for further advice. I just took a business class in San Diego through Eufora... Best class ever. I got some of the best advice ever when deciding on prices for a new salon. Find the lowest salon price in the area, what is their haircut price... not a chain or mom and pop shop but one in the same level as yours.... then find the price for a haircut at the highest price salon. Create tiers for the stylists you hire based on their education and years of experience (I prefer to train out of school always. They move up levels as they reach their goals.) Then make your lowest tier haircut price 10% below what the lowest salon is.... and the highest tier 20% higher that their haircut... THIS should be YOUR level. you are the owner. (unless you booth rent then you are a landlord and this may not work in a booth rental salon.... You cannot dictate their prices.)

Hope this helps. Keep in touch! Off to NY tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kalie ann. in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee

65 months ago

I will be attending Paul mitchel school in Aug. and i was curious as to how many hours it is before i'll actually get to start with hands on stuff, and how long til i actually get on the floor?
thanks...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dana in Palatine, Illinois

65 months ago

usually you're getting into the hands on stuff the 1st or 2nd day! I've heard of schools putting shears in your hands on your very first day to see if you know how to cut a straight line, etc. I'd imagine Floor work is done after completing 200-250 hours or so of the first phase. I may be wrong though. Different schools might have different ways of teaching, etc. You start off on eachother (students) at first and then they slowly work clients in.

Jennifer Cisneros in Palmdale, California

65 months ago

Hi, My name is Jennifer and i attend Highlang Highschool as a freshmen. And well I'm doing this project on Hair Salon and Spa..My partners and I need help with the organization.And I need to find out how much a hair stylist, person who does the nails, massages, barber, waxing, cashier, manager, and an Executive assistant manager get pain????
I really hope that you people out thhere can help me out????
plleasse and thank you!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Ok, great! Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

No problem. From what I hear, school is a BLAAAAST, it's the actual field of work that can get tricky and catty, unfortunately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

How tricky? lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Well, basically, in school you aren't fighting for clients so everyone is cool and helping eachother out.

In salons, you are fighting for clients, so other stylist can get catty. I've heard stories of stylists messing up other stylists color formulas, etc. It's a dog eat dog world in the world of hair styling. When you don't work or don't have a client, you don't get paid. When a new client, walk-in walks through that door, it's a free for all. Sometimes your established client will start seeing your co-worker. That's what I mean by tricky. You have to "play the game" if you want to get paid.

It all boils down to what salon you work in. this isn't all salons so I'm not trying to freak you out or anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Oh, ok i got the picture now...lol
thanks! anything else i should know?

65 months ago

Yes. Since you're going to Paul Mitchell, I'm assuming once you get out of school you're going to be an apprentice at a PAUL Mitchell salon and this will NOT be fun, most likely, and pay will be HORRIFIC but stick with it. It pays off and pays off well in the long run or it should. It could take up to 5-7 years before you make good cash.

Always listen to the top stylists, watch watch watch and learn from the best. They could be harsh but they know their stuff. I've had friends who couldn't stick it out (6 bucks an hour for 2 years can be hard for most) and left and it's sad because now they're salon hopping.

65 months ago

My friends left the high end salon because they weren't getting put on the floor. They were keeping them at the apprentice level for waaay over the 6 months it should've been, however, and I've kept this to myself: They obviously weren't ready to take on clients of their own. What do I know though? I'm not even a stylist.lol.

Oh and take continuing education from the Best. Bumble and bumble, Aveda all the good stuff. Always learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

3becomes4 in Montgomery, Texas

65 months ago

I have spent the majority of the day reading through everyones comments but my situation is a little different, I dont do hair at all i have a passion for cosmetology n do ppls hair (as in styling updo's ect) for friends n family but nothing prof by any means i just caught on quick if i see sumone do it i can usually do as well... plx bear with while i give u some background so u can understand where im coming from... I have worked in corp office my entire career my SO owns his own business and has an empty comm bld that we both think a small fam oriented salon will do well there since there are none in our in a 10 mile radius! we plan to open shortly after the birth of our second child in july i do plan on opening as an hourly pay as well as hiring a styling manager to oversee the technical side of the business but i would like to get anyone and everyones advise on being a salon owner who doesnt do hair ( which given time i will start schooling but after it is opened) what should i look for in a stylist esp a manaager ect? thank you for your help

melissaz in Orange, Connecticut

65 months ago

hello hair dressing schools are very expensive you might want to see if you qualify for a state grant. $10,000.00 once you pass apply to salons.they will tell you,about how much they will pay you.if they except you.you will also get tips from customers pluse you pay at the end of the week.start looking for clientele to bring in with you.the more you bring them they will make it worth your while.i am a hairstylist from conn.not much doin in salons these's days.not alot of money for people to go have their hair done.look at computer technology courses are better these day.

christina said: Hello everyone Im interested in going through cosmetology school. I am just wondering how much does hairstylist get paid? do they get paid by the hour too or just by tips? I also wondering how much tip does hairstylists usually get? I just got a haircut at walmart for 17 dollars and the hairstylist done a really good job and i didnt know how much i should have tipped.

65 months ago

Lela in Chicago Heights, Illinois said: I think you will make at least 900 in 3 months but if you save

not much if you own the salon you won't make much you'll have supplies
to buy and employees to pay.keep that in mind.saving tips and weekly pay if only an employee you can make bundles.you can also do home visits for the elderly keep in mind you have to report some of that pay in taxes.don't set you stakes to high.ok

65 months ago

kalie ann. in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee said: I will be attending Paul mitchel school in Aug. and i was curious as to how many hours it is before i'll actually get to start with hands on stuff, and how long til i actually get on the floor?
thanks...

hello i went to paul mitchell school in north haven ,ct.i am a licensed hairdresser/cosmetologist.love th work.if you enjoy it you will persevere in every job there you get.keep studing and learning.

suzy in Denver, Colorado

65 months ago

OMG Im working on getting my G.E.D. to get into Beauty School ASAP.But now that Im hearing all this non sense from all of you Hairstylist ,Im getting pretty scared and upset :( Ive been wanting to become a hairstylist since i was 14 yrs old. IDK man yall just starting to ruined my dreames by reading all this crap...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Leah in Middleton, Wisconsin

65 months ago

Ginny Scott in Mound City, Kansas said: Howdy all! I am a RN. I have always wanted to be a cosmo girl, love fixing hair. It lights up my world! I am at a fork in the road. If I would have listened to myself 10yrs ago I would already be a cosmetologist, (that's another story) so I became a registered nurse. Now I am sick to death of nursing. I have two small children 8yr (today is her b-day!)and 4yr, we also want to have more. My question is have any of you or know anyone who went through beauty school with kids and supported monetary 1/2 salary in the house? Cosmo school at the college near here is monday thru friday 8a-4p so that puts work on the weekends which is fine, but what did anyone else do? Do you think it is a good idea to even consider this being 31yrs/old? just wish God would write it in black and white sometimes!lol

Most Of Us Do hair for the love of it. You won't get anywhere near a nurses pay starting out. These careers are the furthest from one another there can be. If you are planning on more kids.. and have to help support your household..Don't Do It! Stick to what you know.. and further yourself in that area..that is where you will make money in your situation.. not in beauty.

Anna in Gloucester, Massachusetts

65 months ago

You don't make a whole lot of money at all. I think it is a great career for someone who is married to a professional making good money and benefits. But you got to do what you love that will pay the bills... I love the make your own hours. been doing this for 19 years..

jess in Elyria, Ohio

65 months ago

Anna in Gloucester, Massachusetts said: You don't make a whole lot of money at all. I think it is a great career for someone who is married to a professional making good money and benefits. But you got to do what you love that will pay the bills... I love the make your own hours. been doing this for 19 years..

This is not entirely true. I am a 23 yr old stylist and I made around $50,000 last year. You have to be at the right salon and have a lot of return clientele. It takes a lot of hard work and skills but you can make a great living as a hair stylist. Believe that you can do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine_CAU BOUND in Atlanta, Georgia

65 months ago

jess in Elyria, Ohio said: This is not entirely true. I am a 23 yr old stylist and I made around $50,000 last year. You have to be at the right salon and have a lot of return clientele. It takes a lot of hard work and skills but you can make a great living as a hair stylist. Believe that you can do it!

I hear that...your story just makes me want it even more, I am with SUZY IN DENVER, all this crap everyone is saying about how its not a good money making job is bull to me. To get paid a wealthy person salary one has to be willing to put in the effort and the hard work. What you get out is exactly how much you put in. Not to say that these individuals on this forum don't work hard, it just seems as if they settled or or something of that sort because I know many salon owners and even just stylists that make 50,000 to an 100,000 a year from doing hair. That put all they have into the job they love and by doing that, they are repaid in full. This is no different from a doctor or lawyer or someone like that working just as hard to get paid just as much or more. I believe its up to the individual to make the kind of money they want. Because although it is a recession, I know many of people who would rather have their lights off then go without their head being undone. Its up to the person to hustle for what they want. But thank you for keeping my mindset on my main goal and showing me that it is possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Secret Stylist

65 months ago

I worked 16 years at one shop their I started out making 35% commission by the time I stopped working their I was making 10.00 an hour or something like 50% commission. I was having the taxes taken out of my pay-check every two weeks , liability and prouducts where handled by the shop. My average at the most was 30,000.00 for a year. For the last 7 years I have been lucky to find a job working part-time for 7.25 or commission, that I even come close to liking. What I have run into for the last 7 years you are not able to pay half the bills, buy a car, get health insurance,pay off a student loan,buy your own home. I think the best time to go to Cosmetologist school is when your in High School. The school pays most of the cost, and with pell grants it becomes even less. Now days with the cost of school your chances of paying back the student loan are slim, because in reallity your just not bringing in close to the money to be self-supporting, your become a starving artist, trying to get gigs. The most reliable income is donating plazme twice a week. I love doing hair, but you have to be real. If not your stuck with a student loan that you can't pay back and if you defaulted it makes it even harder to go back to school to get a higher paying, self supporting job. For most people that one time in school is their only chance. It's not that you, your self, are not able to acheive beyond any boundry, but when reality hits you can wish in one hand and piss in the other which one is going to fill-up first.

Jessie in Ottawa, Ontario

65 months ago

You hit the nail on the head. Unless you are young or have someone supporting you,it is one of the hardest jobs to make a living at. Start out when young in high school,is the best time. You are right, you don't have the big loan to pay back.You nurses out there,stay where you are. One would say, "money isn't evrything" ,however,when you don't have it,it is everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mr. jones in Santa Maria, California

65 months ago

I have been styling hair for 25 yrs. I am self employed and earn nearly 200k per year. You need to be talented with people and your trade. WORK HARD!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rock'nHAIR in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

i really do think it depends on the stylist, their talent, their "spark" that will have people coming back to them, everyone I know makes about 50K or more a year from doing hair, it is a rewarding CAREER as well as a very hardworking one too, but one makes his or her stand. You need to have that "something" that clients cannot get anywhere else, and as someone said earlier even with recession---( i say what recession--they just want us to think that) people will get their hair done b/c they NEED IT.. TO ALL WHO WANT TO REACH A HIGH LEVEL AND NOT SETTLE KEEP ON CLIMBING you will get there, you have to give it your ALL, and be NICE don't run over people. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Salon Owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

65 months ago

rock'nHAIR in Houston, Texas said:

Very Well put! I totally agree with you. if you can find a salon to work in that everyone is like that as a team... even better. That is a big draw for guests to know they can come to anyone in the salon and get great service and feel like a royalty.

Be Blessed.
XO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Salon Owner in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

65 months ago

wow... so tired long day. Excuse my poor grammer. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

suzy creamcheez in Santa Maria, California

64 months ago

Do you really believe that guy is making nearly 2oo,ooo per year?
How does he do that???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

paula in Ottawa, Ontario

64 months ago

Only if he owns the salon.

64 months ago

suzy creamcheez in Santa Maria, California said: Do you really believe that guy is making nearly 2oo,ooo per year?
How does he do that???

paula in Ottawa, Ontario said:

He did say he is self employed. I cannot imagine that being possible. I bet he is "bringing in in tips, service and sales" 200k... so the real question is what does his w2 say his net income is.

IF he is booth rental he would have rent, product, insurance, taxes, etc. So if he is bringing in 200k a year his net would most likely be around 90k a year.

200k in revenue is $3846.15 a week IF there is no vacation, holiday or time off based on 52 weeks in a year. If he is working 5 days a week that is $769 a day.

So lets be more realistic and say he takes off 2 weeks a year for vaca. So 50 weeks is $4000 a week in revenue, that is $800 a day, Let's say $80 of that is retail (10% of sales) Say 15% is tips, that would be $108 in tips, that is roughly a $612 service day. Are you with me? So yes... This is possible if he is speaking of his total revenue being $200,000.00. Like I said his "net income" would most likely be between $80,000 and $90,000 a year, After taxes and expenses rent etc. This is also realistic if he is working for someone... however the owner would then be providing, insurance, education, paid vaca, bonuses, etc... that is more valuable. Working for the right salon can be a great benefit to a stylist.

IF he is saying his net is $200,000 then he is working insane hours, has very high prices, owns his own building so he is the LLC, landlord and he is paying himself his rent.

Numbers tell a story and can tell many stories. Knowing your numbers and what they mean and how you make more money based on your average hour income, average guest ticket, average retail ticket, pre-book, and of course retention. Then you can make your story and your movie work to the best of your salon, your guest and you.
Hope this all makes sense. Have a great day XO

leonna in Chicago Heights, Illinois

64 months ago

GINNY SCOTT YOU CRAZY MAN WHAT THE H*** IS HOWDY ALL G IS YOU F***'N SERIOUS IZZ THAT HOW YALL IN KANSAS TALK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Salon Owner in Ohio in Cleveland, Ohio said:

Somehow that copied as if Paula quoted what I typed... lol Computer glitch I guess :) It is all what I typed.

leonna in Chicago Heights, Illinois

64 months ago

Salon owner in ohio what are you talking about how much do your employees get paid because I wanna be a hair stylist when I grow up

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida

64 months ago

To All of You Doubting whether or not it's possible to make GREAT money doing hair, do not doubt. I can verify that it is possible. I won't work out the math for you, because I've seen it for myself in the right salon, it CAN be done.

It boils down to factors relating to you: 75% POSITIVE ATTITUDE + PROFESSIONALISM + 25% TALENT = LONG TERM, BANKABLE INCOME. Factors relating to the Salon are: 30% LOCATION + 20% CLEAN & NEATNESS + 50% RESPECTFUL, POSITIVE STAFF (MORE THAN MEET & GREET) = MONEY IN THE BANK FOR EVERYONE!

I've seen hair dressers with only three basic cuts in their repertoire and they only really know how to do about five really good color techniques. And they are great at those things they do and they have built a clientele around those styles... long and short. People line up out the block for those dependable looks from that dependable stylist with a great attitude. Who has a mortgage that the bank can depend on her to pay because she is dependable and good at what she does well.

See how this works? She's confident and thrilled that she knows what she knows. She learns knew things here and there... But she honed to perfection a skill set to make money that she could count on for her 'clientele' or market.

You have to decide what market that YOU live and figure out what "BAIT" YOU are going to use to ATTRACT your client so you can reel in your 'paycheck'. You do not have to own the salon to make $100,000/year or more. You have to be in the right location and charge the right amount, work smart and diligently.

FYI: COLOURISTS AND FANTASTIC CUTTERS MAKE THE MOST MONEY. My cousin pays $400/colour session in D.C. Those stylists most certainly DO make $200K and up a year in D.C. :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine_CAU BOUND in Atlanta, Georgia

64 months ago

I will be starting cosmetology school this fall, all I can say is that as someone who wants to own numerous of salons, I am attending Clark Atlanta University right now to obtain my business degree so that I can work to support myself while stacking up enough money to own my own salons. Although I know it will take time and a lot of effort. I know where I want to be in life and what I need to do to get there. I realize that I may have to take out loans but that is why there are sooo many scholarships and grants out there for people to take advantage of, I know I have and would encourage others who feel some type of way to just do the research and fill out the forms because you never know how things will turn out.

64 months ago

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida said:

EXACTLY SheriC! It is all about what is coming in when it comes to the dollars and what you are giving them for the $$ they are paying.

For those questioning this.... Think about... What does a $200 haircut look like? What does a $200 haircut stylist look like? What does the $200 haircut salon look like? What does a $200 feel like? Fill others bucket's and your bucket will be filled.

It is easy to have a $800 day if you have the right vision built. It is hard work and rewarding work when it is worked right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

cutty cutterson in Seattle, Washington

64 months ago

I worked at a salon where the stylists made 40% comm, 50% product comm. This salon did very well because the owner took the time to teach everyone to work quickly and efficiently as a team. Everyday was booked solid. Each haircut service was 30 minutes, color and perms were quite fast as well. The owner's approach was not fast to be rude, it was fast to make money, and it worked. I think taking two clients per hour at $30 each plus a $5 tip each (or more) adds up a lot quicker than trying to keep a clientele that pays $60 or more per haircut and takes an hour or longer for the service, and then the client may/maynot be able to afford much for the tip when they're paying so much. Plus high fees cost in terms of return, because working class people are less likely to come in every 6-8 weeks if they're paying $60+ per cut. So if you live in Beverly Hills suure, set your price high and hope that impresses people into coming to your chair. But if you want constant steady clientele that can afford to return frequently for trims and retouches, keep your prices low and work hard and fast! This is just one successful approach. Find a salon that can train you well, once you're out "on the floor" and you will benefit in many ways. $$$ and reputation . LOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Ottawa, Ontario

64 months ago

I agree totally with you Cutty,Good management is the key and it sounds like you have it all where you work. Keep up the good work.

Jaden in Springfield, Missouri

64 months ago

I'm graduating from cosmotology school in August of this year. I have done some reasearch of salons in my area the I am interested in working at. I am worried because I am going to be right out of school that some may not take me seriously. Does anyone have any pointers on how to make sure that I land a job as soon as I graduate?

TRose2327 in Rancho Cucamonga, California

64 months ago

What Do Movie set hair stylist make?

diamond in Dowagiac, Michigan

64 months ago

what kind of houses can hairstylist get.

64 months ago

diamond in Dowagiac, Michigan said: what kind of houses can hairstylist get.

Diamond, dear...you can 'get' whatever kind of house that you can afford and PROVE that you can pay for. Dream big, work hard, buy big, & hope you have enough to pay for a housekeeper to clean! :D

Starting out, I had a mobile home when I was 20. I continued my education and stayed with hair for over 20 years working & investing in real estate. I have been licensed over 30 years & have a salon in my custom built home with over 6,300+ sf under roof; which qualifies for "TDB"... is my phrase for Too Damn Big! We also own several other homes... and have a net worth well over a few million. INVEST IN REAL ESTATE.

Mistakes I see people making in this business that cause major financial downfall, is that there are some salon workers and owners that do not report all income that is generated in the business. This hurts you when you want to expand or buy a house and there is no LEGAL PAPERWORK to PROVE that your income can support the payments on a house or business you want.

I know of hairdressers that have had dreams crushed because they have not been on the up and up about their resources and income. Do not make the same mistake. It only pays to be honest in this business. You not only hurt yourself, you hurt your family by not being truthful in reporting all the income you produce. So think about it when you get behind the chair or you are doing your books. Think about your future.

Hard work, diligence, and honesty pays YOU back in the end. YOUR BANK account and YOUR HOME is a DIRECT REFLECTION OF YOUR HARD WORK... or lack there of. There is never shame in honesty and reporting all of your income. Only good, will come your way. I promise. I am a Real Estate agent now and have seen people's dreams crush or pass by because they did not report their correct income or do the paperwork, or even file taxes! Do not be that person. (cont.)

rock'nHAIR in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

to jaden:
You can either find a salon to apprentice, meaning you wont be doing hair for a while but rather cleaning and watching, or you can go to a chain salon like greatclips, mastercuts or super cuts, etc and they will train you and put you on the floor. The pro about the chain is that you will be on the floor with some training and you will lose the fear of cutting hair or "messing" up (if any) you can build clientel and recieve tips, the con is that it is hourly wage and close to minimum (if you want more $ you have to work nonstop---the more clients the more your percentage the bigger your paycheck), you learn as you go. I can't really tell you the pros and cons of the apprentice b/c I didn't do that. You almost have to live in a big CITY where high end salons offer that, I live in a small town and didn't find anyone that offers it. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU, ONLY WITH REPETITIVE PRACTICE AND LOTS OF PASSION WILL YOU BE WHERE YOU WANT TO BE! :)

64 months ago

Jaden in Springfield, Missouri said: Does anyone have any pointers on how to make sure that I land a job as soon as I graduate?

rock'nHair wrote, "... I can't really tell you the pros and cons of the apprentice b/c I didn't do that. You almost have to live in a big CITY where high end salons offer that, I live in a small town and didn't find anyone that offers it."

Being military, I know a few things about small and large towns. Every small town has their 'rock star' hair stylist. The dependable guy or gal that the wives of doctors, lawyers, & PROFESSIONALS IN TOWN(= PEOPLE WITH MONEY) GO TO TO GET THEIR HAIR DONE. A quick way to find that salon or hole in the wall is to drive around to every salon yourself to check out the MAKE AND MODELS OF THE CARS IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE SALON! How many Mercedes, Jags, Volvo's, BMW's or $30K+ car is in the parking lot? That's a huge clue. The next plan of action is to follow up with a trip or phone call (both, actually) to the Reps for top colour suppliers and ask them about the salons. ASK TO SPEAK TO THE SALES REPS THAT CALL ON THE SALONS, if possible. Ask them about the salon, owner, education, etc... Make an appointment and get your nails done at that salon or hair done yourself. See what the atmosphere is like. Check it out first.

You want to work in a salon where people can AFFORD to get their hair done. Women that have good jobs or are stay at home mothers whose husband's are career professionals like to look good.

25 years ago, I worked in a small town in Alabama (near Atlanta) with more millionaires per capita than West Palm Beach, FL, at one time. The fact remains, DO NOT underestimate the power people in small towns and the money you can make there.

The GREATEST GIFT from having an "EDUCATED CLIENTELE" IS that you continue to LEARN NEW THINGS. CUT A JUDGE'S HAIR, and you learn law. Cut a DOCTOR'S HAIR, and you learn news about drugs or medicine. My education on many levels increased.

64 months ago

SheriC in Orange Park, Florida said: r

25 years ago, I worked in a small town in Alabama (near Atlanta) with more millionaires per capita than West Palm Beach, FL, at one time. The fact remains, DO NOT underestimate the power people in small towns and the money you can make there.

The GREATEST GIFT from having an "EDUCATED CLIENTELE" IS that you continue to LEARN NEW THINGS. CUT A JUDGE'S HAIR, and you learn law. Cut a DOCTOR'S HAIR, and you learn news about drugs or medicine. My education on many levels increased.

I meant to say, in that busy salon, I hired and trained many new apprentices out of school. The great thing about a good apprentice is you know you trained them. The bad thing is when they know that you trust them, that's when they get antsy and want to fly the coop and want to be on their own and I would have to start over and retrain. ARGGH!

My point is: every busy stylist ANYWHERE NEEDS AN APPRENTICE. WHO in their right mind can make any money WITHOUT ONE? I CAN'T!!!!

I have a salon in my home for my family. My LORD!!!! I WOULD QUIT THIS BUSINESS IF I DID NOT HAVE AN ASSISTANT!!!

So, YES! You can find work. Yes, as long as their are people with hair you can find work. The BEAUTY of HAIR IS THAT IT GROWS! THE BEAUTY OF HAIR IS CHANGE... even if it's minor... even if it means that you only start out doing blow drys or "only" the children.

How many times did a hairdresser give me "their children" to cut when I was trying to build a clientele? :D Well, you just take your sweet time and love on those little darlings like they're your own! Every single mother LOVES it when someone else LOVES on THEIR PRODIGY AND DNA! And if you give their little Mini-Me a perfect little haircut right out of a styling book, then MY GOODNESS, YOU JUST WON THE HEART OF THE MOTHER! GUESS WHO THE MOM WILL ASK FOR THE NEXT TIME THERE IS A BOOKING PROBLEM WITH PRIMARY STYLIST? YOU! And they will come.... I know. :D Always Be Thankful & Kind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

442 in Manteca, California

64 months ago

macey in Franklin, North Carolina

64 months ago

How much do you get paid each day? And also how long does it take to get a nice hair style done?

Andrea in West Grove, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Ann in Reno, Nevada said: I too am considering going to beauty school, Paul Mitchell to be specific.
Does age make a difference?
How catty is the salon atmosphere?

Thanks!

Im 42, left teaching to do what Ive ALWAYS thought i should be doing..hair! I am at Paul Mitchells school currently and LOVE it...they are passionate, professional, and they have FUN with it...not stuffy, restricted like Aveda...also they really teach coloring and techniques...I would highly recommend them! Youre only as old as u feel ;-) GO for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

lover in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Joshua in Gig Harbor, Washington said: As a hairstylist you can choose how much you make. If you really apply yourself and become very good at your trade you can make lots of money. You can make $8 an hour or $800 an hour depending on how much you want to work it and spend mastering your trade. I am actually still a student and only halfway through beauty school but I have been working very hard and making lots of connections. As it stands right now I have a salon that wants me as soon as I graduate. They charge $100 for a haircut and I would make a 40% comission off of that and they charge between $150 - $200 for hair coloring. So I am looking at around $40 an hour when I graduate. There is nothing special about me, I am just someone that really wants it. If you are going to do it I would highly recommend using a Paul Mitchell School. They are awesome schools with great education and provide you with lots of opportunities.

are you aerious i would like to make athat kind of money. i want and going to be in the hair industry so i hope that i can make that kind of money when i graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rklawitter

64 months ago

i have a question how do you get your hair soft and how do you get rid of your split ends

tila in London, United Kingdom

64 months ago

hii
i love to do hair and make-up but some pepl say that it is not a very good job but when i grow up i willl love to work in new york and also live there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   16  17  18  19  20  21  22  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.