Comments (1601 to 1632 of 1632)
Page:  « First « Previous   30  31  32  33   

clay in Kitchener, Ontario

49 months ago

how much do you think hair dressers get paid

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rozlyna in Oneonta, New York

48 months ago

Joshua in Gig Harbor, Washington said: As a hairstylist you can choose how much you make. If you really apply yourself and become very good at your trade you can make lots of money. You can make $8 an hour or $800 an hour depending on how much you want to work it and spend mastering your trade. I am actually still a student and only halfway through beauty school but I have been working very hard and making lots of connections. As it stands right now I have a salon that wants me as soon as I graduate. They charge $100 for a haircut and I would make a 40% comission off of that and they charge between $150 - $200 for hair coloring. So I am looking at around $40 an hour when I graduate. There is nothing special about me, I am just someone that really wants it. If you are going to do it I would highly recommend using a Paul Mitchell School. They are awesome schools with great education and provide you with lots of opportunities.

Hi! i am dieing to know! what salon are you going to be working at when you graduate? im still in cosmetology school. and i am soon to be moving back down to the city. ive been searching for a good paying job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lilly in Simi Valley, California

48 months ago

MrCeleBeautyExpert in Studio City, California said: Hello, I am a hairstylist in Los Angeles, I work in movies, tv and editorial (printwork). The average hairstylist that works within the "industry" can make around 75K and up a year, thats average, I have made from 95k-275k a year depending on the movies I work on and my celebrity clients that are doing press for their movies etc. I know this is a select few that work in this end of the hairstyling business , but I am a true 'rags to riches' story. I am not related to anyone and have only created my success by my own hand and talent. If I can do it, anyone can. It helps to be good at what you do (but not necessarily needed) I have seen average hairstylists become successful. I am licensed in California, Arizona, Nevada and New York. Hairstyling has been a very good profession to me and has been my 'pot of god'... good luck, and dont let anyone stop your dream... EVER.

ould you tell me where in los/a.... i could go to work as an assistant as hair stylist..... like u im lic. in multy states

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fleepmo in Colorado Springs, Colorado

48 months ago

M B in Göteborg, Sweden said: hey,
One thing I'm curious about is the schools... Some say Aveda some say Paul Mitchell. I think they're both great, but it depends on what you want to do with your career. If you want to be a hairstylist in a salon who doesn't do "fun stuff" but cuts old ladies then you should go to Aveda. if you want to do fashion , tv etc then you should go to Paul Mitchell. That's what I think at least, from the information I've heard of both schools. But I can be wrong.

Anyone else who has a comment on that?

How the hell is Aveda old ladies? The Aveda school in Minneapolis is extremely busy and there are a lot of different ethnicities that come into the salon so you would get a lot of experience. I have never seen an Aveda salon full of old people.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

mshair in Temple City, California said: I need some advice from all the professional stylist on this forum. This week I have an interview at Carlton hair which means a model test. I would like to know if anyone has advice or has worked with this company and may have a bit of advice as to what they are looking for. I am so nervous and have 3 potential models. #1. blonde long hair I will need to emonstrate foils and classic cut so my question is what type of foiling and formulas since she is blonde already. #2. Highlighted long w some regrowth, how could I make nice highlights on that with limited time? #3 Ombre curly wavy long hair my question is how to blend the ombre with hightlights if that makes sense. Any advice is very helpful thank you.

how did ur interview go with carlton. i too will be applying for work there

charles in Cleveland, Tennessee

48 months ago

christina said: Hello everyone Im interested in going through cosmetology school. I am just wondering how much does hairstylist get paid? do they get paid by the hour too or just by tips? I also wondering how much tip does hairstylists usually get? I just got a haircut at walmart for 17 dollars and the hairstylist done a really good job and i didnt know how much i should have tipped.

hi it will depend on if you work with a co or work by booth rent. i rent a spot in a shop an the rent is $80 per week so if you mack arond $300.00 per week then you pay rent an spend arond $100.00 per week on your hair care itomes et. you will only bring home $120.00 each week. so it depends on how the cost of your styles are an rent or pay.....good luck.............

charles in Cleveland, Tennessee

48 months ago

hi it will depend on if you work for a co" or by booth rent. i rent a both it cost me $80 per week ant i spend arond $100.00 per week on hair care itm" et. so if you mack $300.00 that week you will only come home with $120.00 per week so it will depend the cost of your hair styles on how much you will come home with. but you can mack more on walk in an over time like working days off like mondays an sundays when the shop is not open so you donot half to comepet with other stylest...good luck..............

KG in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

Hi everyone! I had cosmetology license 2 years ago but never work. My school didnt have a lot of clients for us to practice and I now still scare to touch client's hair because I dont believe myself very much. And where can I buy or learn to built up my knowledge because the school didnt teach me enough with this field except pass the exam. I really need your help and thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dashie in Montreal, Quebec

47 months ago

you can do it beleive me itS all about learnig once you put your mind to it any thing is possible i suggest thst you follow your dreams DONT LET PEOPLE BRING YOU DOWN CAUSE ITS NOT ABOUT THEM ITS ABOUT YOU!! I WANT TO LEARN THAT TO ONCE YOU PRACTCE DURING THE COURSE YOULL GET IT

gemingem89 in Spring Hill, Florida

46 months ago

MrCeleBeautyExpert in Studio City, California said: Hello, I am a hairstylist in Los Angeles, I work in movies, tv and editorial (printwork). The average hairstylist that works within the "industry" can make around 75K and up a year, thats average, I have made from 95k-275k a year depending on the movies I work on and my celebrity clients that are doing press for their movies etc. I know this is a select few that work in this end of the hairstyling business , but I am a true 'rags to riches' story. I am not related to anyone and have only created my success by my own hand and talent. If I can do it, anyone can. It helps to be good at what you do (but not necessarily needed) I have seen average hairstylists become successful. I am licensed in California, Arizona, Nevada and New York. Hairstyling has been a very good profession to me and has been my 'pot of god'... good luck, and dont let anyone stop your dream... EVER.

I'm interested in starting cosmetology school in Tampa, FL. I am considering two school Erwin Technical Center or Paul Mitchell, both tech and private have their pros and cons i.e. Erwin is about $4,500 and PM is about $16,000 but I'm really nervous to make the wrong decision because I want this to be my career and would like to get a stable job when I graduate making more than I do now as a receptionist which is about $24,000 per year. Please, I need advice from professionals!!!!

teedee in Sedalia, Missouri

46 months ago

Joshua in Gig Harbor, Washington said: As a hairstylist you can choose how much you make. If you really apply yourself and become very good at your trade you can make lots of money. You can make $8 an hour or $800 an hour depending on how much you want to work it and spend mastering your trade. I am actually still a student and only halfway through beauty school but I have been working very hard and making lots of connections. As it stands right now I have a salon that wants me as soon as I graduate. They charge $100 for a haircut and I would make a 40% comission off of that and they charge between $150 - $200 for hair coloring. So I am looking at around $40 an hour when I graduate. There is nothing special about me, I am just someone that really wants it. If you are going to do it I would highly recommend using a Paul Mitchell School. They are awesome schools with great education and provide you with lots of opportunities.

hey i was interested in what kind of schooling u went to and how i should get started, can you help?

Berecka4 in Warren, Illinois

46 months ago

Do stylists get any kind of benefits such as: insurance, health, retirement???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lillydeboir in Ottawa, Ontario

46 months ago

Hi. I graduated from hair school in 2010. I worked as in assistant for about a year but never 'moved up'. I didn't really like the environment so I quit, but I am kind of lost now, if I should continue to go back in the industry and get my license? Or should I move onto a different career? (Recreation and Leisure Services to be exact)
If I go back in the industry, my skills might not be good as when I got out of hair school, if you understand? And for one thing I will admit, I was afraid of screwing up someones hair or color, I wasn't confident enough actually......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lillydeboir in Ottawa, Ontario

46 months ago

Hi. I graduated from hair school in 2010. I worked as in assistant for about a year but never 'moved up'. I didn't really like the environment so I quit, but I am kind of lost now, if I should continue to go back in the industry and get my license? Or should I move onto a different career? (Recreation and Leisure Services to be exact)
If I go back in the industry, my skills might not be good as when I got out of hair school, if you understand? And for one thing I will admit, I was afraid of screwing up someones hair or color, I wasn't confident enough actually......

ntune2beauty in Fullerton, California

46 months ago

Complete one task at a time. Get your cosmetology License first...this was the Goal, right? ..Acheive it and move on from there. You might not be all that, but you are a Licensed Professional Cosmetologist and you can choose whatever the hell else you want to acheive next.

becca w in Loughborough, United Kingdom

44 months ago

i dont really know what i want to be when im older yet but how much do hairdressers get a year??????????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Abbykinz in Barnesville, Georgia

40 months ago

Joshua in Friday Harbor, Washington said: No it is not true. I went to a Paul Mitchell school and had nothing more than a high school diploma. Paul Mitchell gives you all the training and experience you need and you can go there without any experience. They have classes that you can take to further your education if you are already licensed and some people go back to a Paul Mitchell school after they graduate beauty school just to get the experience and training that Paul Mitchell provides. But you don't have to go anywhere first and I actually recommend that you just go right to a Paul Mitchell school. They look for students that have a lot of talent and spread the word about you. It is not quite the same if you already have your license or have already been through school. Up to you what you want to do, but I just went directly to a Paul Mitchell school and I am so glad I did.

Hey I was wondering how much do you earn a year sallory? A hair stylist told me you earn more money being a cosmetologist if you go to Paul Mitchell's cosmetology school. Is this true?

sidney vallon in Chicago, Illinois

40 months ago

No, Abbykinz.. that is not true. It doesn't really matter what school you go to. A school's job is to teach you the basics that will help you to pass the state board test. Schools are measured on their success by the passing rate of their students at state board. That is a school's main goal no matter if it's Paul Mitchell, Aveda, etc.

No school can make you an amazing stylist. You really start learning once you get out of school and into a salon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BBNY21 in Albany, New York

39 months ago

Do you have any advice on how to break into the industry? Are you part of any unions in tv/ film?
I love your story! I wanted to originally be a makeup artist, I love cosmetics. So I called my sister who is a freelancer in the TV film industry and has had jobs as production coordinator and such. So I asked her if she knew anything about makeup artists in the SAG union or the IATSE union. I heard they make around $400/ a day. So she started giving me so much advice and tips, and told me I should really consider doing hair also because I will book more gigs and to master "natural" makeup. So I am on my journey to Cosmetology school. She advised me to ask to assist makeup artist/stylist for free on set to get tips and see what is expected in the industry.

39 months ago

Do you have a email I can contact you at? I am interested in assisting you for free. I want to do hair/makeup in the tv/film industry. I have a few ver "small " contacts in the industry. My big sister has had gigs as a production manager so she knows "some contacts" and is part of some union that TV film employees are in. She said she can help me but I need to be good,fast paced, organized,and clean. But she wants me to make a portfolio, get my feet wet for a year and assist some pro stylist/artist for free to get tips and view what is expected in this industry. She has actually hired people as MA and stylist for her sets but her work changes frequently she is not always a PM/PC and just because I'm her sister is not going to make it easy. Any advice?

39 months ago

BBNY21 in Albany, New York said: Do you have a email I can contact you at? I am interested in assisting you for free. I want to do hair/makeup in the tv/film industry. I have a few ver "small " contacts in the industry. My big sister has had gigs as a production manager so she knows "some contacts" and is part of some union that TV film employees are in. She said she can help me but I need to be good,fast paced, organized,and clean. But she wants me to make a portfolio, get my feet wet for a year and assist some pro stylist/artist for free to get tips and view what is expected in this industry. She has actually hired people as MA and stylist for her sets but her work changes frequently she is not always a PM/PC and just because I'm her sister is not going to make it easy. Any advice?

Idk my previous post actually posted so I rewrote a response! Sorry lol

BBNY21 in NYC, New York

39 months ago

RuthQu in Cleveland, Ohio said: SheriC, there are a lot of people that just want a steady paycheck. They are enticed to believe every charlatan that comes along telling them that they have a better way to take care of them financially. Stylists today coming out of schools have debts and are looking for the person that will save them.

You're right and I agree with you. However, there will be those salons that corral those sheep and there will be the salons where's the sky's the limit on making money.

Me? I like to fly solo in my own plane. The cream always rises to the top and I have been sitting on the top for years.

Do not be surprised if your message falls on deaf ears. It will take years for some of these people reading this forum to understand anything you're trying to share.

Thank you, dear. Thank you.

Do you rent a booth or own your salon?

tmbeauty in Scottsdale, Arizona

38 months ago

Learn how to build a successful career in this highly competitive beauty industry. Do you need help building a dynamic loyal clientele base? Even if you are an established licensed professional, would you be interested in learning how to create more streams of income? How about a partnership with physicians to treat their special needs patients with medical conditions that require your services - and even be trained on how to bill for insurance reimbursements? I can go on and on about the benefits this one-of-a-kind program that's been developed via MBDRP, to fill the gap of this niche and create wealth opportunities within the beauty industry. I advise you to go here to learn more www.mbdrp.com - www.mbdrp.info/memship ...

Right now we are running a pre-launch limited time only special for beauty school students and licensed professionals to enroll and register for access to all of our training courses without having to pay membership dues.

That's right! Enroll now to have your membership fees delayed until April 01, 2013.

So hurry and take advantage of this exclusive limited time only offer before time runs out!

Check the events calendar to see locations, dates, and times.

**we currently offer classes nationwide.

www.mbdrp.info/memship

If you plan on building a wealthy career in this billion dollar beauty industry, your MBDRP Membership is a necessity for doing business. We prepare you for a life in beauty outside of school, and carry you through the future of a growing competitive beauty market into success.

sidney vallon in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

Overall, hair stylists have VERY unstable jobs. You don't know what to expect to make week to week and that goes for stylists working in chop shops or highend salons. You can't plan for anything. I wanted stability in my life. Being a hair stylist would never give me that.

Jazz in Encinitas, California

34 months ago

allie in Pecatonica, Illinois said: I notice there is someone here that is downing everytime someone says something about how much they make or whatever.
As a hairstylist you will make more if you are good at it or you work in a high end salon. Most of the time in a high end salon you will need experience. It will take time to make more money as you get more experience. I am starting school on monday and i also have friends that are hairsylists and some make good and some don't it just depends on how much you work.
I for one am not going into it thinking i'm going to make big bucks. If i do that is great, alot of us do it because that is something we love or will love doing. Its something that in the future we could do from home. So whoever the smart one is that is coming in here and being negative needs to take it elsewhere. We love what we do and that is what we do. Some of us may make a heck of alot of money and some may not. It just all depends.

Love it! Thanks :-)

29 months ago

Back to Hair in Bend, Oregon said: Hanna did not say she makes $12,000 a month. She said she makes a commission of 40% of $2500 a week plus $500 a week in tips. That's $1500/week, $6000 a month. Read her post and do the math before you tear it up. Good job Hanna!

all i got to say is 6.000 a month is not what most hair stylist make either ! maybe those who work high end salons do, but no most stylist dont!

29 months ago

Jazz in Encinitas, California said: Love it! Thanks :-)

im not being negative.... im being very real !

i have wored on the east coast and west coast and most stylist dont make 6.000 a month!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

lilly in Simi Valley, California said: im not being negative.... im being very real !

worked

Applemyheart in Fremont, California

24 months ago

I agree. I live in the highest paid area and stylists do not make 6,000 a month just working at a salon. Maybe if you are a salon owner or perhaps if you charge crazy prices. But if you were in the industry only for a couple years, you are still building. In this industry you have to settle for less until you have built your own empire of an extensive clientelle. I have been in the salon for about 2 years and let me tell you.. you have to work very hard for the first couple years to build working for a corporation is not going to get you anywhere as far as money. In exchange they give you walkins, experience and all the supplies are provided. Once I have built my clientelle, I plan to move and rent a chair. And even still you are not going to make 6000 a year a couple years out of beauty school. Unless you are super lucky and have crazy good connections

oscarpina in Katy, Texas

9 months ago

In Houston a good stylist, with a good salon who knows latest techniques and knows color/ highlights will make over $55K a year! But indeed its about who you are, and what is your drive!

oscarpina in Katy, Texas

9 months ago

sidney vallon in Chicago, Illinois said: Overall, hair stylists have VERY unstable jobs. You don't know what to expect to make week to week and that goes for stylists working in chop shops or highend salons. You can't plan for anything. I wanted stability in my life. Being a hair stylist would never give me that.

I totally disagree, I know what I am schedule for in a week run, rarely do they flat out no show, probably because of the demograpich of people I cater to. So I know what I am making a week and ever is it less than $900 a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brianna in Tusket, Nova Scotia

9 days ago

joshua in Gig Harbor, Washington said: As a hairstylist you can choose how much you make. If you really apply yourself and become very good at your trade you can make lots of money. You can make $8 an hour or $800 an hour depending on how much you want to work it and spend mastering your trade. I am actually still a student and only halfway through beauty school but I have been working very hard and making lots of connections. As it stands right now I have a salon that wants me as soon as I graduate. They charge $100 for a haircut and I would make a 40% comission off of that and they charge between $150 - $200 for hair coloring. So I am looking at around $40 an hour when I graduate. There is nothing special about me, I am just someone that really wants it. If you are going to do it I would highly recommend using a Paul Mitchell School. They are awesome schools with great education and provide you with lots of opportunities.

U can't make 800$ an hour or 100$ per haircut, that's a bit much

Page:  « First « Previous   30  31  32  33   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.