positions in retirement /nursing homes doing the residents

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 465)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Sue in Midlothian, Virginia

40 months ago

Ulala, all I can say is she has more money than sence. No one would want to claim the money you make/ bring in as there own income by giving you a 1099 or W2 that would be an deduction for her ...the commuinty will give her a 1099 if they write her a weekly,monthly check they have to report to irs where that money went if audited ..is your commuinty a privately commuity or do they have a corporation as in more that one commuinty maybe in other states, is it a assisted living?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Midlothian, Virginia

40 months ago

Are both of her commuities owned by same company?

Reply - Report abuse

Ulala tresses in New York

40 months ago

Sue in Midlothian, Virginia said: Are both of her commuities owned by same company?

No they are for profit nursing homes.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Hairdoc in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

trennia in Palm Coast, Florida said: Yes, it truly is a calling! I love being a cosmetologist in the nursing home/retirement centers. I have owned and operated 6 salon & spas, a cosmetic make-over studio, and a personal image development studio. I then decided to go into the nursing home after my mother suffered a terrible illness and past away. I tell you, it is better than all the big money, spa atmosphere you could ever imagine. These sweet elderly fall in love with you. You become so attached to them. It was like I was doing my mother's hair. After a battle of cancer and having a double mastectomy myself, I am ready to go back! I can't wait. I have an interview this Saturday that may be a job for me. Pray I get it for me. I would be so happy!

I couldn't agree more. I just sold my salon and started at a retirement community. This has been the best career move of my life.

Reply - Report abuse

gchairdresser in Barre, Vermont

37 months ago

I just came across these post very interesting.I have worked in a nursing home doing hair for 28yrs and I agree that it is very rewarding at times can be can be a challenge but I hang in there.The Residents are so thankful and it gives them a big lift to get their hair done.You meet a lot of nice people(family members).I have been paid by the residents but now I am paid by the facility which I find is better for the residents as some do not have that much money.If there are any questions I would be glad to respond.

Reply - Report abuse

Sksardoutos in Royal Oak, Michigan

35 months ago

Hello...
I worked for a company who provided services for the elderly in several homes and resigned because the stylist were not paid properly.I think Stylist who are professionals are not only talented with their services but also compasionet. It takes a loving person to service the aging and patience is a must .
I comend all you Talented Stylist for taking on such a great proffesion in settings as such .

Reply - Report abuse

Wanda F McKinney in Catonsville, Maryland

32 months ago

I am Wanda F McKinney. I have my cosmetologist license for quit a while. I live in Catonsville, Maryland. I am looking for Health facility that are looking for a Cosmetologist
I would like to do hair in a healthcare facility. I will call some places. If you know a good health facility in Baltimore area please contact me. I like doing hair for people that's in need of my services. My email is wanda.021265@gmail.com. Please contact I like to heard your suggestions.

Reply - Report abuse

Srswsue in Midlothian, Virginia

29 months ago

Linster,
Pray it's rent cheap rent ..first how many days do you work,hrs how many residents do you do a week

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

You will need business licences,usually 300,000 insurance coverage (ask) you will need to start paying your own Taxs .. It's best to be incorporated.get a accountant that knowes commuity .. My accountant does everything for me only thing I need to do is post my receipts on a spreadsheets he will do but if I do it save me $$$

Reply - Report abuse

Linster in Saint Charles, Illinois

29 months ago

I work 24 hours. I average 10 residents a day.. The problem I may have is prices are so much lower because of Medicaid . Nut sure if I will be able to adjust the prices. If I'm on my own who does set the prices? I also could easliy do all my residents in a shorter time frame. I had to work 24 hours to get my benefits

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Linster in Saint Charles, Illinois

29 months ago

Srswsue in Midlothian, Virginia said: You will need business licences,usually 300,000 insurance coverage (ask) you will need to start paying your own Taxs .. It's best to be incorporated.get a accountant that knowes commuity .. My accountant does everything for me only thing I need to do is post my receipts on a spreadsheets he will do but if I do it save me $$$

I also have a salon in my home. I work 3 days so I'm already paying self employment taxes

Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

I to have a commuity Medicaid I explain to ED family need to add few $$ to account so they can have services..

Reply - Report abuse

Lauriewindsorpont in Apex, North Carolina

27 months ago

srswsue said: No not around the head ..(The neck) up around there neck put the long piece of the shampoo cape in the sink then Velcro in the front roll everything up to the chin. I will take pic next wk and anyone that wants I will e-mail them..It's easy and less expensive then comfort cape its just the cost of a shampoo cape.
I have 6 community salons and we double cape like this in all but 1 and she use the comport cape

Sue May

Please email me a picture of your double capping technique. Thank you. Laurie. geraniumwise@yahoo.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Georgetown, Texas

26 months ago

Lisa in Utica, New York said: I have recently taken over for a woman at a nursing home. She has been the hairdresser for over 20 years. I'm not to fond of the setting lotion that she uses, i'm planning on using a paul mitchell lotion. For all of you experienced wash and set people, do you suggest i tease all over the head or just in parts. Any tips or comments on the sets would be helpful.

Yes, Hi, I work for a large nursing home and do A LOT of wet sets. I have learned there are several things you can do to assure a good 'hold' and that the set will stay well for a few days. 1. ALWAYS wash twice, rinse like crazy til squeaky clean (some only get their hair washed 1 X weekly, so make sure the oil is out and it's CLEAN) 2. Apply a good 'hold' mousse throughout hair as well as a good 'hold' gel. Comb through. 3. Use rat tail comb for parting and combing, suggest curlers with 'cages' that you can put over (clips are fine for extra holding or larger rollers but a killer on the thumbs!) 4. Take curlers out when dry, spray a light hair spray all over and put client back under dryer for about 2-3 minutes, then let their hair totally cool (this gives a better set). 5. Light spray again with 'flexible' hair spray, brush through once then use a tease comb with separator on end, lightly tease (never rip or tear the hair, teasing should be gentle---this ain't the 1950's! I know plenty of people who lost their hair that way and it never came back!) and separate each section, making it fluid looking (no holes or roller marks, pay close attention to the front/side by face, don't want to look like the English Parliament, ha!), spray again with 'flexible' hair spray, pick again in places until looks perfect ;-), then set the wet set with a stronger hair spray. ALWAYS end the style with phrases like "Wow, that looks fabulous, gorgeous, beautiful! OR "Wow, you look sensational, beautiful!" Makes your client look and feel beautiful. They will love you for it! ;-)

Reply - Report abuse

Sunshine in Cincinnati, Ohio

26 months ago

Hi There,
Have you thought about contacting the activities department of these places? Doing hair might be considered an "optional" activity to some of these facilities (the ones that are not of higher quality with great programming), but if you touch base with the activities department as some of these places, they might be really excited to hear that you want to come in and provide something so special for their people... you can apply your business acumen and all that and iron out the details on payment, time and place it will be done, etc. Some activities departments are hiring activities assistants to help with recreational outings and things like that and they're wanting these folks to be state-tested nurses aides... others, not so... Call a few places, get a feel for them and see if they want to work out an agreement with you as a contractor,,, good luck!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Lititz, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

cindy in Columbus, Ohio said: hello, still no replies. I have always had a hard time finding help during vacations sick time etc. I have been looking very hard and I just can't find anything.anyone have any ideas??

I have a contract with an assisted living home in Pa. I also have trouble finding a fill in.I have not have any time off in 3 years.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Linster in Saint Charles, Illinois said: I work 24 hours. I average 10 residents a day.. The problem I may have is prices are so much lower because of Medicaid . Nut sure if I will be able to adjust the prices. If I'm on my own who does set the prices? I also could easliy do all my residents in a shorter time frame. I had to work 24 hours to get my benefits

I do 20 to 25 residents a day. I set the prices but they require them to be 10% lower than the local shops. I buy all supplies and carry my own liability insurance. They take 20% off the top for rent and cleaning the shop and washing my towels. I have been there 3 years.

Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Hairdoc in Johnstown, Pennsylvania said: I couldn't agree more. I just sold my salon and started at a retirement community . This has been the best career move of my life.

Hairdoc in Johnstown Pa. I work in an assisted living near Altoona Pa. I was wondering witch home you work for. I also have a Beauty Salon in my home.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

SRSWSUE in Midlothian, Virginia

23 months ago

cindy in Columbus, Ohio said: hello, still no replies. I have always had a hard time finding help during vacations sick time etc. I have been looking very hard and I just can't find anything.anyone have any ideas??

Try calling other community's in your area speak with the stylist see if you can workout a deal you work for her she works for you.

Reply - Report abuse

Lameeka in Jackson, Tennessee

15 months ago

Hey Angel this is Lameeka and I really am trying to be a stylist in a nursing home\homes. I don't know if u know Ms.Rhoda but I heard through her about this and I always wanted to do this. I am licensed and went to The Hair Design School. Please email me. I am available everyday except Sunday with reliable transportation and my own products and tools. tru.lily.3@gmail.com.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

teresafrost in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

12 months ago

Hello,

I have been a hairdresser for 36 years and I worked in assisted living facilities for awhile. I am in Alabama, but I can't seem to find a job in a retirement or assisted living facility. I was wanting to start my own business working in facility salons. I have called so many different places and none of them needs anyone. How do you suggest I go about find a couple facilities to work in. Any suggestions or help of any kind will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

idohair in COLUMBUS, Ohio

8 months ago

CINDY in Grove City, Ohio said: Sandra /Lansing ,Mi in Lansing, Michigan"]Hello We Have duplicated the shampoo caps!
hello, I would like to talk with you about buying some of your hoods cindye1c@yahoo.com. Thanks, Cindy

Sandra just saw this would you send me information on shampoo caps u have made cindye1c@yahoo.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

idohair in COLUMBUS, Ohio

8 months ago

Hello, I am looking for the very small brush roller (curlers) usually blue or green about the size of a pencil...without them being 6 or 7 dollars a doz...I would like to buy a bulk amount of that size and next size up anyone know where to get them more reasonable..cindye1c@yahoo.com thanks so much for help

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

www.yelp.com/biz/hc-kuhlman-supply-richmond .... Has the green I'd not in stock Reggie will order for you . I prefer the blue but you can't find them any more, I think they had more brush

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

Sharon in Lititz, Pennsylvania said: I have a contract with an assisted living home in Pa. I also have trouble finding a fill in.I have not have any time off in 3 years.

Hi Sharon I was wondering something. How did you go about getting a contract? I'm If interested in becoming a stylist at a nursing home but not sure where to start.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Lauriewindsorpont in Apex, North Carolina said: Please email me a picture of your double capping technique. Thank you. Laurie. geraniumwise@yahoo.com

May I get an email of your double capping please. Stephaniej9090@gmail.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

srswsue in Midlothian, Virginia

7 months ago

I'm looking for a stylist to join our team to work in Assisted living in Williamsburg,VA
on Mondays and fill -in when needed in Richmond,VA
must pass background,one yr experience in assisted living communities, must know how to roller/set
pay is 50% paid once a month...
Must have passion for Seniors
call Sue May

srswsue@aol.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

hcsi4425 in Chatham, Massachusetts

7 months ago

I do hair in Columbus, Ohio said: any luck anyone getting the info on the shampoo funnel similar to sharons shampoo hood?

www.shampoohood.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

idohair in COLUMBUS, Ohio said: Sandra just saw this would you send me information on shampoo caps u have made cindye1c@yahoo.com

Try www.ressalon.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

srswsue said: I'm from the old school I do have a comfort cape in one of my health care communities the shampoo tech use and likes .I myself and my shampoo tech prefers double capping where you put the first cape on the normal way then take the second cape turn it around where the long piece is in the back/sink then take the front cape short piece and rolling all up to chin like making a funnel all your water will drain in the sink..great for shorts and wheelchair people. I have 6 community 's and we only use one comfort cape all other double and it is cheaper
Hope this helps

Sue

Try www.shampoohood.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

hcsi4425 in Chatham, Massachusetts said: Try www.ressalon.com

Sorry meant
Try www.shampoohood.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

srswsue in Midlothian, Virginia said: I'm looking for a stylist to join our team to work in Assisted living in Williamsburg,VA
must pass background,one yr experience in assisted living communities, must know how to roller/set
call Sue May

srswsue@aol.com

Try www.shampoohood.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

jeannine said: Cathy, I am interested in how you got your homebound clientele going? Plus the state I live in you MUST be affliated with a salon (for insurance purposes)to do homebound clients. Your state may not require that, but here they do.

Aqueduct Shampoo Hoods www.shampoohood.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

hcsi4425 in Chatham, Massachusetts said: Try www.ressalon.com

Sorry meant

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

srswsue in Midlothian, Virginia said: I'm looking for a stylist to join our team to work in Assisted living in Williamsburg,VA
call Sue May

srswsue@aol.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

call Sue May

srswsue@aol.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

idohair in COLUMBUS, Ohio said: Hello, I am looking for the very small brush roller (curlers) usually blue or green about the size of a pencil...without them being 6 or 7 dollars a doz...I would like to buy a bulk amount of that size and next size up anyone know where to get them more reasonable..cindye1c@yahoo.com thanks so much for help

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

idohair in COLUMBUS, Ohio said: Sandra just saw this would you send me information on shampoo caps u have made cindye1c@yahoo.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Sharon in Lititz, Pennsylvania said: Hairdoc in Johnstown Pa. I work in an assisted living near Altoona Pa. I was wondering witch home you work for. I also have a Beauty Salon in my home.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Sharon in Lititz, Pennsylvania said: I do 20 to 25 residents a day. I set the prices but they require them to be 10% lower than the local shops. I buy all supplies and carry my own liability insurance . They take 20% off the top for rent and cleaning the shop and washing my towels. I have been there 3 years.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Jen in Georgetown, Texas said: Yes, Hi, I work for a large nursing home and do A LOT of wet sets. I have learned there are several things you can do to assure a good 'hold' and that the set will stay well for a few days. 1. ALWAYS wash twice, rinse like crazy til squeaky clean (some only get their hair washed 1 X weekly, so make sure the oil is out and it's CLEAN) 2. Apply a good 'hold' mousse throughout hair as well as a good 'hold' gel. Comb through. 3. Use rat tail comb for parting and combing, suggest curlers with 'cages' that you can put over (clips are fine for extra holding or larger rollers but a killer on the thumbs!) 4. Take curlers out when dry, spray a light hair spray all over and put client back under dryer for about 2-3 minutes, then let their hair totally cool (this gives a better set). 5. Light spray again with 'flexible' hair spray, brush through once then use a tease comb with separator on end, lightly tease (never rip or tear the hair, teasing should be gentle---this ain't the 1950's! I know plenty of people who lost their hair that way and it never came back!) and separate each section, making it fluid looking (no holes or roller marks, pay close attention to the front/side by face, don't want to look like the English Parliament, ha!), spray again with 'flexible' hair spray, pick again in places until looks perfect ;-), then set the wet set with a stronger hair spray. ALWAYS end the style with phrases like "Wow, that looks fabulous, gorgeous, beautiful! OR "Wow, you look sensational, beautiful!" Makes your client look and feel beautiful. They will love you for it! ;-)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Sue in Midlothian, Virginia said: Are both of her commuities owned by same company?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

hairmovesinmemphis@*****.*** in Cordova, Tennessee said: I do agree that the stylists that work in the salon of the nursing vacility should be the main overseer of the homehealth salons.

Many times I noticed when an out of state company was incharge of this service, there was a lack, of client comes first, attitude. The stylist should make the money not the ones that do not even touch the hairs of the sick. Doing hair in a nursing home requires much more time and the surroundings are most of the time kinda sad. The stylist has to do all of the leg work on getting each customer and rolling them to the area to where the service is performed.

Many have alheimerzes or dementia. The company collects the charge from the families and then it is several weeks sometimes months before the stylists actually gets paid.
Many customers have contagious scalp disorders and YOU MUST TAKE PRECAUTIONS. Proper hygiene is necessary for yourself as well the customer. There needs to be at least three hairstylist per 100 residents. When one is sick one can fillin. The time involved is more intense than the normal salon scene. All of the above information is written and spoken with experience under my belt and on my hands. The hairsalon in the elderly assisted and nursing home atmosphere should be taken with more consideration than a grain of salt. All hairs are numbered and cosmetologist owe it to the elderly to take care of all their haircare needs in a very professional manner. I understand the medicare and medicad supply a $30.00 allowance towards haircuts and shampoos and perms. Let the stylist collect on her time spent behindthechair.com.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Tanya in Tallahassee, Florida said: Hi, Recently the Asst. Living I contract with changed their methods of paying. They use to bill the residents and pay me, now I collect the money and pay rent. I have several residents that I bill monthly and one of the family members emailed me and said they needed my social security # so they could send me a 1099 at the end of the year. Does anyone know anything about this? I don't feel right about giving them my social security #. When they paid the company directly they couldn't do that and if they were taking them to a beauty salon outside they couldn't give them a 1099. This doesn't make sense and I don't know how to handle it. Does anyone have advice?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Smitty in Old Bridge, New Jersey said: I am so very happy to have found this website. So much great info. Thank you all for pasing on all your ideas. I am working for a hair company for 3 months in a nursing home. I hate working so hard for so little money, so I gave my 2 week notice. I just love the cliets and really love what I do. Been doing hair 35 years. The residents just love me there, so I made a proposal the the adminstrater that if the hair co. does not work out to give me a call. He did like the idea. What do I have to do to prepare if they call me. I signed a contract that I cannot work ther for 3 months if I leave, so I have some time. Help I nee guidance.
Terrie

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

srswsue said: I'm from the old school I do have a comfort cape in one of my health care communities the shampoo tech use and likes .I myself and my shampoo tech prefers double capping where you put the first cape on the normal way then take the second cape turn it around where the long piece is in the back/sink then take the front cape short piece and rolling all up to chin like making a funnel all your water will drain in the sink..great for shorts and wheelchair people. I have 6 community 's and we only use one comfort cape all other double and it is cheaper
Hope this helps

Sue

Reply - Report abuse

Srswsue@*****.*** in Silver Spring, Maryland

7 months ago

hcsi4425 in Chatham, Massachusetts said: Aqueduct Shampoo Hoods www.shampoohood.com

Ok first don't give anyone your S.S. Families what to claim hair services on parents care tax. Just let them know you will give a receipt with amount , services but you can't give out S.S.
If you get the contract you need business lic, ins, only give the director your S.S.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Is there anyone in the Philadelphia area or anywhere that has experience with working in a nursing home as a salon stylist that would like to guide me. I'm interested in working in a nursing home but would like to know the steps I would have to take to obtain a position.

Thanks in advance.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Unemployed in West Palm Beach, Florida said: I worked in a SLF and ALF. Just go to each one and ask. That is how the last hairdresser that worked where I did got her job.

What is SLF and ALF?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.