positions in retirement /nursing homes doing the residents

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 45 of 445)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

J.R. in Phoenix, Arizona

25 months ago

I truly believe that the large companies taking over salons in assisted/senior living communities are doing a disservice to the residents and ruining the personal relationship that the technicians had with their clients. Also, they are destroying a nice, rewarding job for those of us in the cosmetology industry who are mature and would like to have a nice part-time job doing what we enjoy doing and do best. The low pay 40-50% here in Phoenix and not being permitted to accept tips gives the technician a very small pay level, as working on the clientele in this environment requires more time and attention - which we actually enjoy giving, but need to be paid accordingly. Just another step toward large corporations ruining a very nice job that is hurting the middle class worker, lowering their standard of living, while the corporation makes a lot of money from our work. Here in Phoenix, they are trying to take over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

J.R. in Phoenix, Arizona

25 months ago

srswsue said: Well if you turm them into the state u might lose your contract maybe if you write a letter as you were a family member complaining that your mom doesnt want to have hair done because of it being so hot and hair doent stay in because of the humidity
u might try approaching that way.If u do this just sign concerned son/daughter
Tell the resident to complain to there families..I know all commuinty's have residents Council Meeting tell them to bring it up in the meet or on family night
Directors hate when resident complain infront of families
good luck

Tell your state board inspector about the problem when they come in. They will write up a warning and the company will have to fix it or be fined. The company will not know that you mentioned it as it is the inspectors job to report these things and does not write it up as a complaint. At least that's how we did it when I was an inspector and it always solved the problem. The fines were larger than the repair bill!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

J.R. in Phoenix, Arizona

25 months ago

old lady lover in Mansfield, Ohio said: I have worked in a nursing home for going on 2 yrs. I have my managers license and that is it. I am nervous about not having all the certification that is reqired to work in a nursing facility, but I can't get a clear answer on what all I need? Also the facility is in the process of obtaining a salon license. What does that change for me? Does state board of cosmetology go to nursing homes to inspect or just the state health people?

Yes, Ohio does inspect nursing homes and the salon does need to be licensed - very easy, just paper work and a fee. If you are working as an independent contractor, a 1099, you also need an independent contractor's license in Ohio. Again, just submitting paperwork allowing you to operate your own business within the facility. If you are an employee (W-2), you only need your manager's license.

Carol in Bend, Oregon

25 months ago

I started two weeks ago in a nursing home doing hair. I wish I would have started doing it years ago. Even though the situation can be sad I love to be a part of brightening their day.

I have done homecare work for 4 years which I enjoy doing, so I am use to the sad situations some of these people live day to day. I too use that time to try to brighten their days.

I was called at the first of the week to work in another nursing home as a hairdresser and started today. I have a third that is interested.

Do any of you know why hairdressers lose interest in these positions as a nursing home hairdresser?

I see a lot of smiles! Makes my day as well as theirs!

Carol in Bend, Oregon

25 months ago

I started two weeks ago in a nursing home doing hair. I wish I would have started doing it years ago. Even though the situation can be sad I love to be a part of brightening their day.

I have done homecare work for 4 years which I enjoy doing, so I am use to the sad situations some of these people live day to day. I too use that time to try to brighten their days.

I was called at the first of the week to work in another nursing home as a hairdresser and started today. I have a third that is interested.

Do any of you know why hairdressers lose interest in these positions as a nursing home hairdresser?

Nancy Riddle in Milltown, Indiana

25 months ago

Carol in Bend, Oregon said: I started two weeks ago in a nursing home doing hair. I wish I would have started doing it years ago. Even though the situation can be sad I love to be a part of brightening their day.

Carol, I also have done hair in a nursing rehab center for 28 years. I enjoy my 2 days a week working . I'm not sure who is blessed the most me or them. I feel so good when I leave work knowing I have brightend someone's day with just a little bit of attention and pampering.
I also worked at another home but had to give it up due to my husbands job but they also had a hard time getting someone to want the job. I guess it's not for everyone but I love it! I hope I never have to go back to working out in a public beautyshop, that setting is just not for me. I love my patients in the nursing home!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jo Anna24 in Cleveland, Ohio

25 months ago

There's a company in our area taking over the salons in senior living communities and assisted living communities claiming to provide more upscale services to the residents. However, all the did at our salon was take it over, take our Independent Contractor status away and drop our pay level to 50%. Nothing else. It's just another large company getting rich off of the working middle class and lowering the cosmetologists earnings, while filling their pockets with large amounts of money that they don't need to live comfortably. Shame on them. Word has it there are several companies trying to do this.
Salon PS was the one that took ours over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Srswsue in Weems, Virginia

25 months ago

Im a contractor I had a community do that to me..they now pay there own stylist $10.00 hr and she has to help with activities ..makes no sense..she didn't go to school for that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

stylist911 in Tiverton, Rhode Island

23 months ago

Lisa in Utica, New York said: I have recently taken over for a women at a nursing home. She has been the hairdresser for over 20 years. I'm not to fond of the setting lotion that she uses, i'm planning on using a paul mitchell lotion. For all of you experienced wash and set people, do you suggest i tease all over the head or just in parts. Any tips or comments on the sets would be helpful.

I am in the same boat! I started 2 weeks ago and the Stylist before myself was there for 23 years!! Im getting discouraged b/c i seem to be disappointing some of my clients by not living up to the previous stylists ability.. HELP!!

stylist911 in Tiverton, Rhode Island

23 months ago

rbuckley in Mount Holly, New Jersey said: Hope the dawn works. Use to worked at a home that had problem with aids putting vaseline in hair. Ugh!I have Virtua contact for 10 years and really have it down pat with tricks of the trade.Do you roll hair around finger instead of using rollers? Works great on certain types of hair.Do you use bucket for the real low riders? Nice to share ideas.Did you ever work for company? I worked for L.A. Hair.

I just started in a nursing home 2 weeks ago.. You seem to have lots of great tricks that I would really appreciate knowing more about.. Thank you!!!

RBuckley in Mount Holly, New Jersey

23 months ago

Stylist911, I Velcro rollers for those hard to set ladies,Lotta Body setting lotion diluted ,firm hold mousse for blow dries and Salon Care hairspray.Most ladies like alittle tease and a tighter curl,so I use small curling iron.Hope this helps.

SPRA in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

19 months ago

Jo Anna24 in Cleveland, Ohio said: There's a company in our area taking over the salons in senior living communities and assisted living communities claiming to provide more upscale services to the residents. However, all the did at our salon was take it over, take our Independent Contractor status away and drop our pay level to 50%. Nothing else. It's just another large company getting rich off of the working middle class and lowering the cosmetologists earnings, while filling their pockets with large amounts of money that they don't need to live comfortably. Shame on them. Word has it there are several companies trying to do this.

SalonPS tried to take over the retirement facility that I work at but the residents protested and had a large percent of them sign a petition demanding that they keep the beauty shops running the way they are...yeah US !!!

19 months ago

I have been working at an upscale Retirement Facility for the past 7 years. I truly love what I do. I recently found out that another hairdresser was 'ripping' the residents off by 'over-charging' them i.e. charging for a quick bang trim or clean someone's neck!? Also, if a family member asks for their loved one to get a perm...she will cut them that week charge $28 then perm them the following week $65 which already included the price of a haircut!? I reported this to management and they claim they had no proof!? I am sick over the fact that this stylist is stealing from the residents and their families...soo wrong!

19 months ago

I think it's horrible that some people take advantage of the elderly.I had a friend who's mother in law was in home out of state and I warned her about than cutting hair one week and next giving perm of course when she checked out her hair bill quess what they did ,sad. These ladies don't receive much money per month and families are having harder time helping contribute.For Christmas I always give them a little something and they are so grateful,it warms my heart that they I know I care.

19 months ago

Thank You for replying back...I see that you are from Mt. Holly, NJ. I have recently found out that I may be moving to Mount Laurel, NJ. I sent 2 emails to the people in charge of licensing in NJ to find out how I go about getting my licensed transferred to NJ. No one has yet to respond to me. I did some research and found out that I will have to retake the theory exam for cosmetology, but I have no idea where to get a book to study or when/where to take it--any help will be much appreciated !!!

19 months ago

I would contact a beauty school in New Jersey.

19 months ago

K...Thanks

JANEEN in Canton, Ohio

19 months ago

Carol in Bend, Oregon said: I started two weeks ago in a nursing home doing hair. I wish I would have started doing it years ago. Even though the situation can be sad I love to be a part of brightening their day.

can you tell me where to get low rates on liability ins.?

JANEEN in Canton, Ohio

19 months ago

Can anyone tell me where to get inexpensive liability ins. for working in nursing home salons ? PLEASE HELP !

19 months ago

I have mine with State Farm...just went up to $425 a year !

Lovingtouchservices.com in West Palm Beach, Florida

12 months ago

JANEEN in Canton, Ohio said: Can anyone tell me where to get inexpensive liability ins. for working in nursing home salons ? PLEASE HELP !

handsontraining.com

Daselina in Moorestown, New Jersey

12 months ago

State Farm Insurance...$450 for year

I DO HAIR in COLUMBUS, Ohio

11 months ago

Sandra /Lansing ,Mi in Lansing, Michigan said: Duplicated The Shampoo Cap ! Interested ? leave Me A message !

please contact me about the duplicated shampoo hood cindye1c@yahoo.com thank you

11 months ago

J.R. in Phoenix, Arizona said: I truly believe that the large companies taking over salons in assisted/ senior living communities are doing a disservice to the residents and ruining the personal relationship that the technicians had with their clients. Also, they are destroying a nice, rewarding job for those of us in the cosmetology industry who are mature and would like to have a nice part-time job doing what we enjoy doing and do best. The low pay 40-50% here in Phoenix and not being permitted to accept tips gives the technician a very small pay level, as working on the clientele in this environment requires more time and attention - which we actually enjoy giving, but need to be paid accordingly. Just another step toward large corporations ruining a very nice job that is hurting the middle class worker, lowering their standard of living, while the corporation makes a lot of money from our work. Here in Phoenix, they are trying to take over.

I really agree........ I have had this done to me..... Now I find myself trying to find another position which we all know how hard that is, you just gotta be at the right place at the right time when someone has been let go... or has given a contract up, to retire or moving etc.

11 months ago

Jo Anna24 in Cleveland, Ohio said: There's a company in our area taking over the salons in senior living communities and assisted living communities claiming to provide more upscale services to the residents. However, all the did at our salon was take it over, take our Independent Contractor status away and drop our pay level to 50%. Nothing else. It's just another large company getting rich off of the working middle class and lowering the cosmetologists earnings, while filling their pockets with large amounts of money that they don't need to live comfortably. Shame on them. Word has it there are several companies trying to do this.

oh they are so destroying so many of our income..... I wish they would just leave these facilities alone so some of us could do what we love.......they should remember how hard it is in this world to make a good income....what a joke.....

11 months ago

I hate this company I am so at a loss for income and trying to decide what to do next.....too old to go back into a regular salon....

11 months ago

hello I know this is probably not going to get any response as it sounds like so many of us have had this happen. I lost my contract to a company months ago. I have tried everything to get it back... but I believe the administrator thinks this is the way to go even if the residents and family members are not happy. But if anyone needs a stylist to work for them, even to fill in or with them or have plans of giving up a contract soon please contact me as I really don't want to change careers at my age. I have 43 years experience and love this work. The residents become our family members. I really appreciate any help...cindye1c@yahoo.com

Rbuckley in Mount Holly, New Jersey

10 months ago

Debbie from Willingboro are you still at Riverview? Looking at it for my mom but would like your opinion.

Ulala tresses in New York

8 months ago

This is all very interesting to me. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this website. I have been working at a nursing home salon for a few months now. Once a week. Someone else holds the contract. She apparently worked the for one year and has a another full time job. She is subcontracting this job to me giving me only 50% commission of already low nursing home salon prices. It sounds like she is doing what the big corporations are doing. She is not a salon owner and I don't believe she even has Liability ins. as she never mentioned any of the legal aspects of the business I have read on some of the previous posts. I really enjoy working there and love my clients just as you all do. I think I may have to step away from this situation or speak to someone one the facility. I don't think she will give up the contract. I just don't think it's fair that she's taking half the money and I'm doing all the work. I have been a hairdresser for almost 30 years in another salon and make the same commission but this is for a salon owner that pays the rent. It isn't the same. I think I would like to take over this contract if she even has a written one I don't know, but nonetheless I'm still only making half and she is never there! Should I step back but let the facility know I'm interested? If so, what else do I need besides liability ins and a cosmetology license?
Am I wrong?? Can someone PLEASE comment ?!? THANKS!

Sue in Midlothian, Virginia

8 months ago

Ulala, I'm a stylist/ contractor I work 2 salons myself ..not sure how it works in New York but in VA the stylist makes 50% the community get 25% so that leaves the contractor 25% not much for insurance, employee tax , supplies .. Every community I have are on top of the insurance / business / cosmetology licenses making sure they are up to date ...the person you work has to have all this before she can contract ...this is not a money making joy we only stay because we love our little granny's ..I start working myself in a community for anther contractor in the 80's they a new community was built one mike from my house I applied the lady I worked for applied I got the job was there 16 yrs then a new ED came in didn't pay me foe 3 mos I complained every wk because before she came that's how corp paid me she just didn't do her job by processing so I lost my job there...I went out and found new community it wasn't easy to start over looking after 16 for a job foe me ..I have 5 communities I could have laid off one of my stylist if I were that type of person but I'm not they needed there job just as much as I did....I have community's that people can only get services once a mo because of no money ..we have resident that don't have any money we do free .. Some want cuts but only have money for S/Set ..we have some can't afford a $5.00 wash ..we do free .. Our S/Set $18,cut $18, perms include cut $65 , color $50 these are affordable prices no ones getting rich here ..good luck to you in your community

8 months ago

Sue, Like I mentioned earlier. She has a full time job doing something totally different. She is a licensed hairdresser and works in another nursing home once every 2 weeks. She doesn't pay any employee fees, ins. or report earnings and she keeps 50% of the earnings not 25%.The nursing home takes nothing. I am the person the residents see and I am the one doing their hair. I don't how it works in the other facility she holds a contract with but at least she is there. She does not work in the one that I do. This is why I feel it isn't fair and not having the ins. worries me. If she is the contract holder do I need to get liability ins? How will I be able to claim my earnings If she doesn't? This is what concerns me. THAT is why I'm wondering if I should leave but before I do so tell the administrator that I would be available for contract if it doesn't work out with this person. If I were to take over the contract I would like to do it right. Does anyone have any advice on this matter?

8 months ago

I would first ask her if she has liability ins ..I can not see the commuinty not making her have this.i had to up my ins from $300.000 to $500.000 just before Christmas one of my salons was bought out ..
If she doesn't then I would go to ED and say it not understand your boss doesn't have ins are you cover under there liability ..how does she pay you check, cash she will have to give u a 1099 or w-2 or she will have to claim all the money u made as her income that would be stupid ..the commuinty will give her a 1099 unless is a commuinty they pay as they go and not billed

8 months ago

Sue in Midlothian, Virginia said: I would first ask her if she has liability ins ..I can not see the commuinty not making her have this.i had to up my ins from $300.000 to $500.000 just before Christmas one of my salons was bought out ..
If she doesn't then I would go to ED and say it not understand your boss doesn't have ins are you cover under there liability ..how does she pay you check, cash she will have to give u a 1099 or w-2 or she will have to claim all the money u made as her income that would be stupid ..the commuinty will give her a 1099 unless is a commuinty they pay as they go and not billed

SUE, I know she doesn't do any of what you mentioned. The ins.,the 1099 , W-2. She doesn't claim this at all... not sure how this has been working for her in the past but that's what she has done. With this place at least. I don't know about the other.

Debbie in Warsaw, Indiana

8 months ago

Hello, does anyone know anything about contracted employees. I have a contract with a nursing home stating I can set my own hours, and management has to give me 30 days notice if you wants me out. She just fired me because I was sick with bronchitis for a couple of weeks, I worked the first week before x-mas and steadly got sick, by Friday I went to doctor that afternoon after work and got meds. this was the week before x-mas. I worked the following Monday and had told them before that I was taking xmas eve off. the following week I was still sick and called in on Monday said I would work New Years eve, but did not because I was still sick. I Normally work Mon & Tue and the rest of the week is my personal time. The director called me last Friday after I had called them and said I would be back to work on mon.Jan 7th. She told me they know longer needed my services, I even begged for my job back, do they really want a sick person working on the patitents. I tried to talk her into letting me still work there but she said no. I later called her back and told her about my signed contract, and she never called back. Can any one give me any advice ,does my signed contract really mean anything. I worked there for over 3 yrs, loved my patients and treated them like family. Please write back to Colleen

8 months ago

Debbie
Get this one I was at my community 16 yrs. I lost my job because I ask to many time to get paid didn't get paid for 3 month ..she was new about 7 mos before she let me go think it was all a plan to bring in her friend stylist..I actually didn't have a up yo date contract ..my fault ... We were bought out old ED said we don't need to change contract everything will stay the same ...well that doesn't flush...Everyone alway get new contract ..I wouldn't have wanted to stay in a community that the ED didn't want me I would fight it I had resident,there family, complaint it's help ..I even wrote corp president,vice president when I wasn't get paid didn't do any good..
Maybe could should go in there take your contract say Mrs --- I have a contract and I am working my month.see what happens ..you need to talk in person ..did you get your supplies out personally things out ..if she already hird someone this quick it may have been planed ..has she been there the 3 yrs you've worked ...

Debbie in Warsaw, Indiana

8 months ago

Virginia, My company was bought out, but I did not have a contract with them. When new co. took over acting ED came with a contract for me too sign. make my own hrs, they suppy place and towels too work , I make x amount of percentage and 1 month on either side if either ed or myself wants to leave. New ED came in about 2 years ago and I thought things were good but you could be right, I was off in july for family emergency and she did hire new person, when I came back I caught new person using my personal things and I could have handled it a little better but told her where was her own supplies. After she was done with customer she went directly to the ED and complained about me, telling her off and here she is using my clippers, rollers, clips, capes, and other supplies and I am the one who get the kick in the pants. At one point she told both of us if we could not get along dhe would fire us both. Well we worked different days so I didn't have to see her but she either quit or got fired. There really was not enough for 2 people to survive on. I still have key to upstairs beauty shop, so waiting for that phone call that saDeb, please bring in the key and I do still have my liscense and a few things left. but really, not sure I still want job back. thanksdebbie

8 months ago

Ulala tresses in New York said: SUE, I know she doesn't do any of what you mentioned. The ins.,the 1099 , W-2. She doesn't claim this at all... not sure how this has been working for her in the past but that's what she has done. With this place at least. I don't know about the other.

SUE, I FOUND OUT SHE HAS INS. BUT THE NEITHER COMMUNITY GIVES HER A 1099 or W2. So in turn she does not claim and doesn't give her hairdressers a 1099 either. The community pays her out of the residents accounts by check in her name. What do you think? Is this alright to do?

8 months ago

Ulala, all I can say is she has more money than sence. No one would want to claim the money you make/ bring in as there own income by giving you a 1099 or W2 that would be an deduction for her ...the commuinty will give her a 1099 if they write her a weekly,monthly check they have to report to irs where that money went if audited ..is your commuinty a privately commuity or do they have a corporation as in more that one commuinty maybe in other states, is it a assisted living?

8 months ago

Are both of her commuities owned by same company?

8 months ago

Sue in Midlothian, Virginia said: Are both of her commuities owned by same company?

No they are for profit nursing homes.

Hairdoc in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

trennia in Palm Coast, Florida said: Yes, it truly is a calling! I love being a cosmetologist in the nursing home/retirement centers. I have owned and operated 6 salon & spas, a cosmetic make-over studio, and a personal image development studio. I then decided to go into the nursing home after my mother suffered a terrible illness and past away. I tell you, it is better than all the big money, spa atmosphere you could ever imagine. These sweet elderly fall in love with you. You become so attached to them. It was like I was doing my mother's hair. After a battle of cancer and having a double mastectomy myself, I am ready to go back! I can't wait. I have an interview this Saturday that may be a job for me. Pray I get it for me. I would be so happy!

I couldn't agree more. I just sold my salon and started at a retirement community. This has been the best career move of my life.

Rita in Moulton Alabama in Moulton, Alabama

5 months ago

SPRA in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: I have been working at an upscale Retirement Facility for the past 7 years. I truly love what I do. I recently found out that another hairdresser was 'ripping' the residents off by 'over-charging' them i.e. charging for a quick bang trim or clean someone's neck!? Also, if a family member asks for their loved one to get a perm...she will cut them that week charge $28 then perm them the following week $65 which already included the price of a haircut!? I reported this to management and they claim they had no proof!? I am sick over the fact that this stylist is stealing from the residents and their families...soo wrong!

What is the average price for services preformed on nursing home patients. I will be starting soon and would love for someone to give me suggestions on a price chart. I will be setting my own prices.

gchairdresser in Barre, Vermont

5 months ago

I just came across these post very interesting.I have worked in a nursing home doing hair for 28yrs and I agree that it is very rewarding at times can be can be a challenge but I hang in there.The Residents are so thankful and it gives them a big lift to get their hair done.You meet a lot of nice people(family members).I have been paid by the residents but now I am paid by the facility which I find is better for the residents as some do not have that much money.If there are any questions I would be glad to respond.

Sksardoutos in Royal Oak, Michigan

3 months ago

Hello...
I worked for a company who provided services for the elderly in several homes and resigned because the stylist were not paid properly.I think Stylist who are professionals are not only talented with their services but also compasionet. It takes a loving person to service the aging and patience is a must .
I comend all you Talented Stylist for taking on such a great proffesion in settings as such .

Wanda F McKinney in Catonsville, Maryland

24 days ago

I am Wanda F McKinney. I have my cosmetologist license for quit a while. I live in Catonsville, Maryland. I am looking for Health facility that are looking for a Cosmetologist
I would like to do hair in a healthcare facility. I will call some places. If you know a good health facility in Baltimore area please contact me. I like doing hair for people that's in need of my services. My email is wanda.021265@gmail.com. Please contact I like to heard your suggestions.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.