positions in retirement /nursing homes doing the residents

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 445)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

aminah

74 months ago

cathy how did u go about getting ure clientile with the homebound n private homes im interested n doing so

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

I DO HAIR in COLUMBUS, Ohio

74 months ago

Hello I have found that 1 day a week is really best for me, to be sure to have a busy day. Sometimes when you go 2 days I find alot will say I will come tomorrow. Some times if i can't get done on 1 day I will go back in the next day. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeannine

74 months ago

aminah said: cathy how did u go about getting ure clientile with the homebound n private homes im interested n doing so

Cathy, I am interested in how you got your homebound clientele going? Plus the state I live in you MUST be affliated with a salon (for insurance purposes)to do homebound clients. Your state may not require that, but here they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cathy turner in memphis tn in Carbondale, Illinois

74 months ago

jeannie

The salon insurance does not cover you in the independent homes or on other premises. The hair salon insurance is only for the salon.

Run ads and call State Farm insurance. You need malpractice and general liability.
You must cover you tail. Do not take any chances when it concerns your license and business name.

Call all hospitals in your area. Go to the churches. Mail out fylers to all the homebound agencies. Word of mouth.
It took me about four years to build to $35,000.00 a year.
Of coarse that was before I took out the expenses.

I do not have the business anymore. I became ill and had to stop. Good luck and will check you later. I do not even have my own pc at the present

cathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mundy

74 months ago

This was very helpful thinking about doing this thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

For the ones looking for the rollers (small blue brush) contact this address. I feel they have been the cheapest.
E-Mail: Information@williamsportbeauty.com
Tel: 1-888-756-1550
Fax: 1-888-756-1554
Write: Williamsport Beauty Supply, 230 Eastgate Court, Danville, IL 61834
Office Hours: M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. US Central Time

I am also looking for someone that might be retired, or only wanting to work once in a while to fill in during vacations and sick days in the Columbus,Dublin,Hilliard, Grove City, Ohio. Thanks

angel taylor in Memphis, Tennessee

74 months ago

[hello, this is my first time on this site , i took my nursing license and cosmetology license and barbering put them all together .Taylor 's Bold &Beautiful Salon on Wheels. i ran and now am in process of start over ,rebuild the health and beauty aids sevices . For 15th years here in memphis tenn. When I started out i had contract with 25 nursing homes and 15 assisted living fac. ,and home bound residental confined to thier beds . fully staffs ,but with subsized so they could affort the services .The STATE OR THE NURSING HOME DON'T REALIZE HOW HARD IT'S SERVICING THE ELDERLY OR PHYC.HANDICAP. THE OVERHEAD STAY IN THE RED , I WORKED A NOTHER JOB TO KEEP THE SERVICE GOING . MY LAST CONTRACT ENDED IN AUG. 07 , I LOVED WHAT I WAS DOING.I TRY TO SAVE MY COMPANY AND SERVICE , WE EVER WENT NON-PROFIT .I WOULD LOVE TO DO THIS AGAIN . UPLIFTING THIER SELF-ESTEEM AND DIGNITY . THEY NEED SOME ONE WHO TRUELY CARE .

ANGEL IN MEMPHIS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mundy

74 months ago

Hi I also work in a nursing home which I truely enjoy I would be glad to keep in touch with you Monday49@aol.com

angel taylor bullard in Memphis, Tennessee

74 months ago

hi i feel that if they would deal with each person as a individual and not a number . dirty ,oil ,sweat germ and bactial can be fougth if the largest organ of the body is kept clean .most resident of the nursing homes don't ever get daily personal care.so if the body is n't being clean , we know the scalp isn't . We have 2 to 3 hairs folicle over a per square inches of the body it must be clean to keep the system from breaking down. first line of defence. i have some many ideal , but no one want to help change thing to better service the client /patient.

anel in memphis

Mundy

74 months ago

Hi Angel drop me a line would love to talk to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angel taylor bullard in Memphis, Tennessee

74 months ago

Mundy please feel free to call or email me . this is very dear to my heart ,this services.Until you lay in a bed ,depending on someone else for everything .
you really don't undserstand , how important this services is for these people . My email addrress is
angel_bullard5@yahoo.com
901-562-9765 or901-324-2043

cathy turner in memphis tn in Carbondale, Illinois

74 months ago

IN homebound it is best to work for yourself. DO not go under any other stylist because she will work you for little salary, she will take most of the profits for herself.

This is what I encountered while practicing and building my business. One stylist wanted to pay me $5.00 for each head I would style at a hospital. SHe would be collecting anywhere from $12.00 to $15.00 for just a style and more if the clients get haircuts or perms.

The one doing the style should be the one to get the most.
A non-profit, is just that, not for profit.
So, when working under a nonprofit organization the organizer should not gain any of the wages. Expectionally when the sylist is doing the work. Be fair so the real reason is for the sick not to gain profit from another stylists.

Start a charity, let all seniors rgardless to income be allowed to reep the charity. Never charge the poor less than the rich. Keep all prices the same. This is what I call goudging the sick. Always agree to take a check. This way when you deposit your funds in the business account their will be no question to money laundering. Remember the government allows a sum for the sick to keep up their hair.
Do your own non profit, check with the government, do not go through another stylists.

I was not a non profit, I heard through the vine about the tricks one will pull to profit from ones hard work.
Stay on the front lines and do good honest business.
Watch for those that do it on the side and do not report their earnings. Keep the field professional and you will do good. Respect the sylists that stand behindthechair.com.

HAIRMOVESINMEMPHIS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Casey in Jackson, Tennessee

72 months ago

Hey Angel ,
I live in Jackson, TN . Thinking about working for a NH. Just would like to talk to you and get some more info about your experience.
BalCs7@aol.com

Deb in Fort Wayne, Indiana

72 months ago

Cindy in Columbus, Ohio said: Congrats!!This is great!! I love what I do. I have done this for almost 35 years. I use a great deal of very small brush rollers. They are hard to find but I can give you some information where i found some. I use the Generic Paul Mitchell styling lotion at Sally's. I use Design Freedom Perms as they don't get frizzy, work well with all meds they may be taking mostly blue rods. Some like alot of teasing, most like just a little to hold it together. seems like my ladies like alot of curl so if an aide runs a brush in it they still have some curl. I have found a shampoo I really like the (honey almond comes in gallons(at sally's) very reasonable. My prices are fairly good, might be alittle high for some s/s $16, h/c $14 men, $15 for women,perms $60, tints $44. If you haven't heard about the shampoo hood let me know, it saves so much time and much easier on the resident and us.there is a few cheap ones out there but this lady has a patent on hers and they are much stronger and helps prevent (most of the time) getting them wet. Well if I can help more please let me know. Good luck
Lisa p.s. I have a step daughter in Rome Ny. We come to that area 1-2 times a year

Hi,I wondered if you have the email address or way of contacting Sharon Stepp? I believe she is the lady you are referring to about the shampoo funnels. Thank you,Deb

Deb in Fort Wayne, Indiana

72 months ago

Carol in Hyannis, Massachusetts said: I'm having a hard time finding the old yellow brush rollers with the picks,can I order them on line? Also I need to find the extender that you put around there necks that looks like a cape to help with shampoo's when they can't fit in the sink.
Thanks for any help with this,
Carol

Marlos have them.Deb

kymberly davidson in Exeter, New Hampshire

72 months ago

Hey Carol, sue May gave me a few months ago the name of this guy Reggie an he's a saint here's his number <Edited by Host: contact info removed> I called him with the order and they came in they were the smallest mesh rollers they make, they are wonderful, Also, I can give you the name of a lady who has this most wonderful funnel that I've been using for the last 11years at my nursing home it's just wonderful to shampoo with, but the number is at work an I'm off to the cape again for the weekend, I will post it on monday if thats ok... ttyl... kym

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sara Cavin in Scottsdale, Arizona

70 months ago

I am 47 and got my cosmetology license last year. AT the beauty school I attended I had many older clients that requested me on a weekly basis and I loved everyone of them. I am looking for work in retirement homes but do not know how to go about it. I worked in a salon for only 3 month. My daughter became very ill so I left to take care of her.. She is now healthy. I feel that I would be more suitable in this type of work environment. If anyone can give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Sara from Scottsdale Arizona

Sue

70 months ago

hairmovesinmemphis@yahoo.com in Cordova, Tennessee said: I do agree that the stylists that work in the salon of the nursing vacility should be the main overseer of the homehealth salons.

Many times I noticed when an out of state company was incharge of this service, there was a lack, of client comes first, attitude. The stylist should make the money not the ones that do not even touch the hairs of the sick. Doing hair in a nursing home requires much more time and the surroundings are most of the time kinda sad. The stylist has to do all of the leg work on getting each customer and rolling them to the area to where the service is performed.

Many have alheimerzes or dementia. The company collects the charge from the families and then it is several weeks sometimes months before the stylists actually gets paid.
Many customers have contagious scalp disorders and YOU MUST TAKE PRECAUTIONS. Proper hygiene is necessary for yourself as well the customer. There needs to be at least three hairstylist per 100 residents. When one is sick one can fillin. The time involved is more intense than the normal salon scene. All of the above information is written and spoken with experience under my belt and on my hands. The hairsalon in the elderly assisted and nursing home atmosphere should be taken with more consideration than a grain of salt. All hairs are numbered and cosmetologist owe it to the elderly to take care of all their haircare needs in a very professional manner. I understand the medicare and medicad supply a $30.00 allowance towards haircuts and shampoos and perms. Let the stylist collect on her time spent behindthechair.com.[/QUOT
I would just like to respond as a contractor/stylist most of the people I know are stylist themselves and have experienced it all..Just remember one thing before U put us down..We have the business license,$300,000 worth of liability ins.have to file quarterly reports, pay employee tax and lets don't forget the supplies,phone fi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara Cavin in Scottsdale, Arizona

69 months ago

Thank you Sue for your advice. I noticed a couple new retirement complexes being built I will look into that. Sara

rlewis in Summerville, South Carolina

69 months ago

I am also trying to venture into the Assisted Living / Nursing Home side of this. Did any of you write up actual comtracts? If so, what exaclty did you put in them? When you were looking for work, did you go in person with some sort of letter & price list, or did you just call around & ask? Also, did you receive payment directly from the families on day of service, or did you give an invoice to the facility? Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

vilmed in Lake Worth, Florida

69 months ago

hello, guys maybe i can get some help from you all, do any of you have a presentation, introductory letter? to present to any of these places? how do you go about? whats your first step? please help.

Bonnie MacAllister in Columbus, Ohio

69 months ago

Hi Cindy:
I loved your comments! I have a Manager's and an Instructor's license and am looking for a facility to work in. I've called several of the local facilities and they say they contract the services out. Do you have any idea who or where they are so I could apply? I'm very familiar with the styling needs of the elderly and am looking hard for a place where I can not only work but take the time to converse with and make the elderly feel needed and important. My Mom passed away in a facility in Dublin 3 years ago, and it meant so much to her to get her hair done. I know how valuable a service it is.
If you could get back to me at macbonnie@aol.com, I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me.
Thanks,
Bonnie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jade in Richmond, Virginia

67 months ago

Hi Ms. Sue. I have been a hairstylist for 13 years and I have a genuine love for the elderly population. I am interested in providing hair care services for them but I don't know where to start. If you have any suggestions or information that may help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Diane in Utica, New York

67 months ago

I'm finding trouble with the nurses bringing the clients down. A lot of residents need assistance and I can't stop in the middle of a service to go pick them up in their rooms. I started at a facility back in March. I tried so hard to deal with the rude nurses and aides but days where going by and I was doing a total of 4 people. Of course administration says "it takes time". Well, 2 weeks go by and still hardly any clients. Then I submit paperwork for payment, and it takes 3 weeks to receive funds. I'm no longer there.

Diane in Utica, New York

67 months ago

I'm now at a new facility. The hairdresser just retired and we've been working together for the past 3 months on my taking over. I was supposed to start in December, but administration realized that I never had certain paperwork filled out and health exams completed. After being passed around 3 different departments, I've finally started. I love working with the residents. It's very rewarding. The women I took over for used to go get around 7 residents and line them in a waiting room. The facility wants to eliminate that for safety reasons (of course). I'm at the mercy of staff members to bring them down. I'm supposed to call each nurse station and let them know I'm here and available. I'm doing 4 clients a day (at most). I'm hoping for the best. It's very discouraging because I love the actual job itself, but I'm not making nearly as much as I planned on.

Sue May

67 months ago

Diane, Always before you take any job in these type of palces.Ask the Director or the perosn the hires YOU.How do you get the resident brought to you if they say staff.you go to Head Nurse and tell her how you were told it was going to be run..I wait 5 min then I'm on phone calling cna's again keep calling...
Then if that doesn't work leave @ lunch time when you go the next time if not brought keep leaving @ noon when then the famliies call to see why they are not being done tell him you call and the staff goesn't being tell them they might want to give the director a call or head nurse and complain might help ..I know when I go about 2-3 wkks not doing somene the family cll and ask mwe why and I TELL HIM ...I am a contractor of salons and I work one myself
I tell my employees the same, they want us here to do a job and we need a job to pay our bills if not we would be our here somewhere volunteering
Also you might ask the director if they have any volunteer that would come on days you're there and bring resident to the salon
I have done this before my salon has a intercom after I have called 3-4 time and no one answers me I call over the intercom so the hole building can hear me ...(Will the 1st floor nurse pleases call the beauty salon ) try doing that and that brings the attention to the director you are having trouble .I do know the family's will come down hard on staff if you complain to them enough about you can get them brought to U
Oh and about pay always get in writing a contractor or letter how u will be paid and when.If you don't get paid within 7 day of that remind them u have contract staing date of pay IF that doen't work write your letter alondg with copy of letter to the CEO of company it's not hard to find I just did that myself to a big business Bon Secours I know I got my cks...don't wait over 2 month.
I'm actually looking for a stlist in Richmon,Va
Ok
Good luck write me back let me know how it goes srswsue@aol.com
Sue May

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sue May

67 months ago

Diane I just read your 2nd mail.all my perple have appointments even the ones that have Alzheimer I work tue,wed,thru I do my Alzheimer and perms on tue ..wed,thru basic s/set ect everyone have a time. I call 3 people @ one time 2 out of 3 might come then I call 3 more and that include the one that didn't come 1st time i keep calling that perosn until the staff tells me they sick or not comin but rememeber when u call, that some are in right mind and will come on there own if it getting close to the ones that know go head and call for him just tell him u ready.I also have a shampoo tech so i'm working on one she shampooing and one waiting
ARE u contracting or are u hired as there staff do u pay them a % if so u need to hire a shampoo tech if not tell them u need one .this is to hard of work to do alone plus u might need to go to bathroon in a day and can't leave them alone.My shampoo techs make $7 Hr with experince 6 if not But i don't have time to train so what works for u....Hey u might think this a lot of BS but trust me it will work they don't want the resident unhappy if they think u might leave they don't like changes residents or directors

Sue May

67 months ago

HELLO,
I KNOW IT IS VERY DIFFICULT. IT SEEMS IF YOU DON'T ALLOW STAFF TO BRING THEM AND SOME WHAT OVER LOAD YOU, YOU SIT AND WAIT TOOOO LONG IN BETWEEN. WHAT PEOPLE DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND IS THAT IF YOU MAKE APPTS. NO ONE IS ON TIME BECAUSE 75%-90% CAN NOT GET THERE ON THEIR OWN AND IF THE STAFF MEMBER BECOMES OVERLY BUSY THE PERSON HAS LOST THEIR TURN. I HAVE FOUND THAT IF I GO TO A FACILITY MORE THAN ONE DAY A WEEK I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH TO MAKE IT WORTH WHILE. DON'T GET ME WRONG IF THE BUSINESS IS THERE OR IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE OVERLY BUSY THEN IT DOES TAKE MORE THAN ONE DAY. THE PROBLEM I HAVE HAD IS THAT THE RESIDENTS SAY OH I WILL WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW IF I GO 2 DAYS. AS THEY KNOW THEY STILL CAN GET IT DONE THE NEXT DAY. THE WAY I LIKE TO DO IT IF I HAVE A CHOICE IS TO ASK THE RECEPTIONIST TO CALL AND HAVE THEM BRING 3 AT A TIME. SOMETIMES IT WORKS WELL AND SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T. I ALSO GIVE THEM 10-20 MINUTES TO BRING THE LAST ONES AND THEN I ASSUME THEY DO NOT WANT TO COME. IF IT IS A RESIDENT THAT NEVER REFUSES I GO ASK THEM MYSELF. I LOVE WHAT I DO. I HAVE FOUND IN REGARDS TO PAYMENT THAT I PREFER TO DEAL WITH THE RESPONSIBLE PARTY OF THE RESIDENT IF I CAN. SOMETIMES THERE ARE FACILITIES THAT MAKE YOU WAIT SEVERAL WEEKS. I HAVE ONE RECENTLY THAT WANTS TO ALL COLLECTING FOR THE SERVICES AND PAY ME ANY TIME UP TO 45 DAYS LATER. THIS IS VERY HARD TO DO IF YOU NEED TO PAY YOUR OWN BILLS ALONG WITH THE FACT IF YOU HAVE A STAFF MEMBER TO PAY YOU NEED TO HAVE PAYMENT SO THAT YOU MAY PAY THEM. GOOD LUCK IT IS SOMETIMES HARD TO KNOW HOW TO HANDLE EACH FACILITY UNTIL YOU ARE THERE. I ALWAYS TRY TO DO WHAT THE ADMINSTRATOR WANTS AND IF THAT DOESN'T WORK I ASK IF IT CAN BE DONE IN ANOTHER MANNER. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT SOME OF THE SHORT TERM RESIDENTS ASK FOR SERVICE AND I AM A SOFTY SO I WILL GO AHEAD DO THEM AND THEN THEY MAY NOT PAY, AND NO ONE MAKES THAT PAYMENT TO ME. GOOD LUCK I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

Sue May

67 months ago

So you are saying your facility doesn't do the billing with the residents rent...I have 6 places all but one pay as they go if they are unable to carry a ck book ,cash they what I do is buy a recite book the 1st of each month the family have to prepay for service they want them to have for the hold month whether it's weekly .2 wks or monthly ..as the resident are don't we write on the top/white sheet there names date of ck what service this ck is for as they are done we put the date redeemed put the white use it as U would a ck don't put until they are done count it @ the end of day just like U add the ck,S and cash for the day the yellow copy stays in book as family can sees how they used $ this will keep people from skipping out

Sue
I have to run out but i'll mail u back late

Diane in Utica, New York

67 months ago

Sue and "I do hair"..wow! thanks so much for your all of your information and genuine concern. I started out as a fill in for numerous homes in my area, and this is my first actual contact position. Currently the salon is charging me % for each service, but I proposed a daily rental fee instead. Waiting to hear back. They supply everything except product (towels, water, electricity, housekeeping) Every week it seems to get a little bitter with the nurses, but still it seems as though a lot of residents aren't coming down as often as they did with previous stylist. Unfortunate for them, not many family members show concern..I love the volunteer idea. I was warned by admin not to overlap lunch, activities..but nurses bring them down close to the time, and I have to tell them it's too late. Should have researched more, but in these tough times, had to take what I could get. ANYTHING is helpful, don't think it's BS at all!!

Sue May

67 months ago

If u mail me direct i will send u copy of our work sheet how we set out appointment ..I do 60-75 people in 3 days tue,wed,thru our building hold 134 we are under now about 120.remember I have shampoo tech I girl make $8.00 she been with me 7 yrs she my cousin I also sent her to nails school so she does nails for me too she ge 50% of that I get 25% the place get 25%..way to much % for them..I have one place 20%, one i pay rent, 4 get 25%
here my e-mail if anyone want to mail me srswsue@aol.com
But if the facility doesn't do billing with rent you need to get receipt book and tell families to perpay beginning of each month before work is done...I also give $5.00 off to new resident that move in it helps to get them coming...everyone try it if it brings you business.

Sue

Michelle in Brandon, Mississippi

67 months ago

wow! i was looking for information on this very thing. im in the process of getting my license transferred to mississippi. i have for the last 3-4 years staying home with my third and last child and im ready to get back into it. My friend, who is a dietician and has worked for many nursing homes, suggested that i go there to work. I was raised by my grandparents and have this special place for the elderly. So how would I get started? Thanks!!

hairminah in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I live in penna. and i am also interested in wrkn in the nursing and wuld like sum tip to get started Thanxs

Sue May

67 months ago

Just call a local Heath Care Communities near you ask if they need stylist remember it's not an easy job and you never get paid on time go back through the forum and read any thing that I have written ( SUE MAY) you will understand most of where this kind of work will take you. Don't get me wrong I love my residents and have been in the business since 86 and would do it all again but it the staff that doesn't cooperate
Good Luck to u

Sue May

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sue May

67 months ago

cindy in Columbus, Ohio said: hello, still no replies. I have always had a hard time finding help during vacations sick time etc. I have been looking very hard and I just can't find anything.anyone have any ideas??

Have you tried posting on craigslist maybe you could do some swap when another stylist needs time off.

jade

67 months ago

Thank u.

desiree savary in Brooklyn, New York

66 months ago

hi I'm a hairstylist living in brooklyn NY. I've been considering working in a assistant living/nursing home.I don't have any experience I've only worked in salons. Can someone suggest some helpful tips on going about this.Thanks.

Sue May

66 months ago

Desiree,
You might want to try/starting out working in an retirement community first before jumping into assisted living/nursing facility This is very hard work especially if you have never dealt with handicap/wheelchair or Alzheimer people.You also might try Volunteering @ a assisted living community one a week to get in site of what its like. Maybe call Bingo,Read help with a social.
Try going back and read some of the Forum comments
Good Luck
Sue May ...VA
srswsue@aol.com

66 months ago

Sue May said: Desiree,
You might want to try/starting out working in an retirement community first before jumping into assisted living/nursing facility This is very hard work especially if you have never dealt with handicap/wheelchair or Alzheimer people.You also might try Volunteering @ a assisted living community one a week to get in site of what its like. Maybe call Bingo,Read help with a social.
Try going back and read some of the Forum comments
Good Luck
Sue May ...VA
srswsue@aol.com

thanks so much Sue May for your advice

66 months ago

thanks Sue May for your advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

robin in Mount Holly, New Jersey

66 months ago

Anyone using shampoo recline? How do like it and how much did it cost? Been doing nursing home hair care for 9 years and really enjoy it. I use a volunteer to get the residents and have a great relationship with the staff, so getting residents is not a problem. Ask activities director to get volunteer, as they usually handle that.I have a contract with home so no problem getting paid, everything was agreed in advanced.The rollers are velcro and they work great.Glad I found this site as it was helpful and nice to hear others enjoy working in nursing homes too.

Vickey McCorkle in Humboldt, Tennessee

59 months ago

This is a wonderful site and I'm quite impressed with all the interaction and shared knowledge between professionals. I'm a licensed Stylist and have been for over 16 yrs. now. 10 of those years have been devoted to servicing seniors in the nursing care facilities. I must say that I get joy out of sharing time with my ladies and they are truly a blessing to me. I have a full time job in another line of work & this vocation has always been part time because I usually do my service work on Saturdays.My business is very small and I've serviced nursing homes in basically West TN ... namely Gibson & Madison County. Although I'm qualified to practice all avenues in the Cosmetology field my area of specialty centers around the skills of hot comb pressing and the use of marcel irons for the minority females. This group is often over looked in 85% of most nursing facilities. I currently in search of (1) nursing facility with at least 30-40 minority females in need of service. I am not looking to replace the full time Stylist just enhance their program by servicing these minorities.

catnron in Hoschton, Georgia

58 months ago

Carol in Hyannis, Massachusetts said: I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE SHAMPOO HOOD,AND WHERE TO PURCHASE THEM.
THANK YOU,
CARPL

Hello, if you have a walgreens you can but the caps there. They work great.

catnron in Hoschton, Georgia

58 months ago

Hello To All, I am so happy I found this site. I work in 2 nursing homes Hair Salon and I love it so much.I have been a Hair Stylist for 29 years, the last 10 years in nursing homes.It is a Honor to be able to work with the residents at both homes.It is the hardest work I have ever done but at the end of each day I Thank God for letting me make a difference in the residents life.After styling there hair I put make-up on them which they love.I bought each Lady a make up bag of there own with face powder, blush and lipstick and they love it. I also make pictures of the residents 2 x's a year, we call them Glamour Shots. At Christmas the residents give the pictures of themselves to familys in Christmas cards. You would not believe how proud they are at being able to give the familys this,and the familys love it too. It doesn't take much to do this. I spend about 300.00 dollars total with pictures and cards at christmas. I could go on forever about the beautiful people in my life at the nursing home, but I will stop now, got to go get some beautiful Women ready for the day.

Sue May

58 months ago

That's sound like a great idea with the Pictures and cards, not to sure how the make-up would go in assisted living.,but I do like the pictures for the residents to give @ christmas.If you read back through old forum you will see I work one community and have four others I manage.What I do yearly is a function either in the summer or Christmas for the residents, some kind of food they love but never get. I live outside of Richmond and we have home grow tomatoes called Hanover's and everyone love, so I fix BLT's my husband help me fry 10 lbs of bacon,15 lbs tomatoes,6 loafs bread,4 heads of lettuce that's their favorite. I have done pizza, watermelon,hotdog's,donuts.. I have worked as a stylist in health care since 1987 and would never go back to a "real salon" those people are like your family will touch your heart.

Sue May - Midlothian,VA

Sue May

58 months ago

Monday49@aol.com said: Hi I would also like to kown more about the skate board left

If it's the recline chair i've seen its a joke the resident are to short and when they lay back it pulls them away from the sink
put the shorty's on a pillow and double cape ...
step 1 ...towel,put first cape on reg way then take another cape turn it around back put the long pieces in the sink Velcro the front and roll everything up around neck it making a funnel it's better that anything you can buy and trust me in 22 yrs I've bought it ALL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

hairgirl in Plainfield, Illinois

58 months ago

I'm back with a little more. I'm sorry this is so long. I haven'nt talked to the main woman in the office yet who does the hiring she won't be available until Monday or Tuesday because corporate is in town and she has been in meetings with them. Could you give me advice in what to say so it does'nt seem like i'm stepping on the toes of the girl who is there already and make her mad that i am asking the woman who hires if i could share the rent. In the other retirement homes i worked in i worked Tues. Wed. Thurs. and Fri. and the manager only worked on wed. and i got 50% but the prices were higher and i made a nice living.The other place i worked in was Alzheimers and Dementia and there i paid $50.00 a month rent but was very hard to get paid from the families so that did'nt work to well for me. This i feel is my last chance of a very new retirement home and how to get in on paying rent. Could you help me out by giving me your opinion on how to say this nicely without sounding desperate or pushy or trying to "take over".

Thanks much

Bonnie

cindy in Columbus, Ohio

58 months ago

I have been doing this for almost 35 years. I love it I know how you feel, but I think when one person contracts with a facility, they should just totally be in charge, and make it a point to hire someone if necessary and not to let another stylist come in and have a contract also. The problem is, after doing this for so many years it really does cost the contracted person a great deal, and that person works very hard to build up a business, doing billings to families, buying all supplies, insurance, some times not getting paid for along time. When another stylist is there it becomes complicated on who is the main person when families want to talk to you about what they want their family member to have done. It is sometimes very hard to have one busy day, and it just takes longer to have a good (money) day. Also, one thing the contracted person's job is really never done. I contract with facilities and I know I would not like it if they allowed another stylist to come in as it would hurt my business. Now I will say if the contracted person contracts with 5,10,20,etc
facilities and does not work in them, just allows her staff to do all the work, then this is a whole different situation. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

debbie in Willingboro, New Jersey

58 months ago

cindy in Columbus, Ohio said: I have been doing this for almost 35 years. I love it I know how you feel, but I think when one person contracts with a facility, they should just totally be in charge, and make it a point to hire someone if necessary and not to let another stylist come in and have a contract also. The problem is, after doing this for so many years it really does cost the contracted person a great deal, and that person works very hard to build up a business, doing billings to families, buying all supplies, insurance, some times not getting paid for along time. When another stylist is there it becomes complicated on who is the main person when families want to talk to you about what they want their family member to have done. It is sometimes very hard to have one busy day, and it just takes longer to have a good (money) day. Also, one thing the contracted person's job is really never done. I contract with facilities and I know I would not like it if they allowed another stylist to come in as it would hurt my business. Now I will say if the contracted person contracts with 5,10,20,etc
facilities and does not work in them, just allows her staff to do all the work, then this is a whole different situation. Good Luck!![/QUO
Anyone know what to do with a greasy hair. I have tried every shampoo?????

R Buckley in Mount Holly, New Jersey

58 months ago

debbie in Willingboro, New Jersey said: [/QUOTE Is the hair naturally greasy? If yes, need medicated shampoo,if you tryed over the counter shampoo for this and it didn't work get script from dr.If the grease from someone putting in there hair try dawn dish soap.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.