Certificate Programs For Health Unit Coordinator's???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 72)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Lorelei in Minneapolis, Minnesota

69 months ago

There are 2 Technical College Programs in the Twin Cities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Maryville, Tennessee

69 months ago

Julie in Kingsland, Georgia said: Thank you for your comment. I work as a Health Unit Coordinator at a hospital as we speak, but have only take a few health courses at our local Community College. I did, however, go through several weeks of on the job training.

I would like to find the class materials that you are using, purchase them and learn from them so that I would be better equiped to do the job that I am doing at present.

Where would I find this kind of material?

Julie:
The online course that I am taking says to purchase the book Health Unit Coordinator: 21st Century Professionals. It should be around $50-60 at Amazon.com. That is book I need to buy for the online program. It was originally used as the teaching book at the local colleges and is written by HUC's that have been in the field a long time. This book should be all that you would need to really get all the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Julie in Kingsland, Georgia said: Is there a course or program that one could take to prepare a person to become a Health Unit Coordinator?

You asked me if you could buy my curriculum - that is not something I can do. Here are some other resources:

The National Assoc. of Health Unit Coordinators nahuc.org has a guide you can buy for designing a program.

You can look at course outlines for my courses at hennepintech.edu/future/programs/health/huc.htm

I hope that helps. Feel free to contact me agin if you wish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Lorelei in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: There are 2 Technical College Programs in the Twin Cities.

I forgot to menttion also the book (most used in the field) id Health Unit Coordinating, 6th Edition by Gillingham and Wadsworth- Siebel W.B. Saunders publishe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Saint Marys, Georgia

68 months ago

Lorelei in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I forgot to menttion also the book (most used in the field) id Health Unit Coordinating, 6th Edition by Gillingham and Wadsworth- Siebel W.B. Saunders publishe

I did not mean to imply that I would purchase your material, I was only wanting info on obtaining it myself from a school or supplier...

You have helped me greatly and I appreciate all the info..

Thanks!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorelei in Minneapolis, Minnesota in Saint Paul, Minnesota

67 months ago

Lorelei in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: There are 2 Technical College Programs in the Twin Cities.

What is the other technical college other than ST.Paul Tech? and are there any hospitals or clinics willing to train someone for the HUC position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

The other program is at Hennepin Technical College in Brooklyn Park. for information the website is: hennepintech.edu/future/programs/health/huc.htm
Most of the Twin Cities Hospitals either require or prefer graduates of a tecnical college program or experience. I am not aware of any facility here that trains on site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorelei in Minneapolis, Minnesota in Saint Paul, Minnesota

67 months ago

Okay, thank you!

Shelly

65 months ago

barbara in Maryville, Tennessee said: Julie:
The online course that I am taking says to purchase the book Health Unit Coordinator: 21st Century Professionals. It should be around $50-60 at Amazon.com. That is book I need to buy for the online program. It was originally used as the teaching book at the local colleges and is written by HUC's that have been in the field a long time. This book should be all that you would need to really get all the info.

what online course are you taking? i am interested in becoming a health unit coordinator, but would like to make sure the online course is legitimate.
thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JulieNormanHouse@yahoo.com in Saint Marys, Georgia

65 months ago

I am not actually taking a course in it. I am actually a Health Unit Coordinator in a CCU/PCCU and OR in a local hospital, but I was wanting to get Nationally Certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Knoxville, Tennessee

64 months ago

Shelly said: what online course are you taking? i am interested in becoming a health unit coordinator, but would like to make sure the online course is legitimate.
thank you for your time.

Shelly:
The online course I took is found on wecareonlineclasses and it runs around 270.00. You don't have to take any real course to take the National Certification Exam thru the NAHUC though. They don't require it. You can order some books online and read the books and take the tests they have and then sign up for the National Exam. I did buy another good book online though and I really recommend it for learing the HUC job. It is called:
LaFleur Brooks Health Unit Coordinating
It has a online website that you can log into and sign up for all the tests for each chapter and it has a great Review for Certification test to really see if you know all the material. It as taught at the Gateway Community College in AZ.
Hope this answers your question.
Best of luck !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

JulieNormanHouse@yahoo.com in Saint Marys, Georgia said: I am not actually taking a course in it. I am actually a Health Unit Coordinator in a CCU/PCCU and OR in a local hospital, but I was wanting to get Nationally Certified.

Just go to the NAHUC website and sign up for the National Exam. They don't require any pre-requisites to take the exam.

64 months ago

Alaina in Racine, Wisconsin said: Yes there is. I'm in a HUC Program right now at Gateway Technical College.

Alaina:
Did you use the book, Health Unit Coordinating by LaFleur Brooks (6th edition)for your course? That is the book I bought online...very good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shelly

64 months ago

thank you so much for all of your help! i appreciate it. could you tell me an estimate of the salary that a health unit coordinator makes? i live in Indiana. Thanks!!

Shelly

64 months ago

Barbara in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Shelly:
The online course I took is found on wecareonlineclasses and it runs around 270.00. You don't have to take any real course to take the National Certification Exam thru the NAHUC though. They don't require it. You can order some books online and read the books and take the tests they have and then sign up for the National Exam. I did buy another good book online though and I really recommend it for learing the HUC job. It is called:
LaFleur Brooks Health Unit Coordinating
It has a online website that you can log into and sign up for all the tests for each chapter and it has a great Review for Certification test to really see if you know all the material. It as taught at the Gateway Community College in AZ.
Hope this answers your question.
Best of luck !!!

so do you think it would be a good idea to just purchase the books and study to take the certification test?

64 months ago

Shelly said: so do you think it would be a good idea to just purchase the books and study to take the certification test?

Hi Shelly: If I had to do it over, I probably would just buy the second book (that has the website you log into with the tests) It is through the Evolve Learning system and study and then take the exam. I personally don't see the advantage of spending 270.00 if you don't have to. You get a certificate but that is it. Make sure you buy the book I mentioned above..6th edition LaFleur Brooks Health Unit Coordinating...this is a much better book than the one I bought for the online course. MUCH more information in it. I did join the NAHUC and became a member also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susie in Hudson, Wisconsin

64 months ago

Hi Eveeryone!
Do you think the HUC profession is going to be around for a long while? Or will it be fizzled out eventually? Am I better off going into Massage Therapy?
Any advice would be great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JulieNormanHouse@yahoo.com in Kingsland, Georgia

64 months ago

The best folks to ask that question of would be Doctor's and Nurse's, but I will tell you this....

The hospital I work at will keep them for a very long time.

So you decide what you think you would like best and go for it.

Barbara in Seymour, Tennessee

64 months ago

JulieNormanHouse@yahoo.com in Kingsland, Georgia said: The best folks to ask that question of would be Doctor's and Nurse's, but I will tell you this....

Susie:
I FIRST took this course back in 1982 (while in college) so it has been around for awhile. I don't see anything happening with this profession but a massage therapist is a totally different career. This one is more administrative/clerical and massage therapy is just mainly people oriented. So the decision is yours, what do you see yourself doing and enjoying it most? That is the most important question to ask yourself. Then go for it....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sherry in Platteville, Wisconsin

64 months ago

Hi, I have been reading through the comments and questions at this forum. I am really interested in becoming a HUC. Can you really get a job if you just buy the book, read it and take the national exam? I have been searching for online programs. The only one I have really seen that offers anything is wecareonlineclasses. But I am not sure if their program will get me hired either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

64 months ago

sherry in Platteville, Wisconsin said: Hi, I have been reading through the comments and questions at this forum. I am really interested in becoming a HUC. Can you really get a job if you just buy the book, read it and take the national exam? I have been searching for online programs. The only one I have really seen that offers anything is wecareonlineclasses. But I am not sure if their program will get me hired either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sherry:
You can either take the online course or just buy the books and take the tests in the books then take the National Exam thru the NAHUC website...it really is that easy. As long as you say you are certified and get your certificate that is all the hospitals or facilities need to see. I am not sure if your state has any other requirements, but call your local HR dept at the hospitals and just ask them and they will be more than happy to let you know what their requirements are for applying...Best of luck !!!

Shelly

64 months ago

can you tell me all of the books i will need to just study and take the certification test?

sherry in Platteville, Wisconsin

64 months ago

Barbara in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Sherry:
You can either take the online course or just buy the books and take the tests in the books then take the National Exam thru the NAHUC website...it really is that easy. As long as you say you are certified and get your certificate that is all the hospitals or facilities need to see. I am not sure if your state has any other requirements, but call your local HR dept at the hospitals and just ask them and they will be more than happy to let you know what their requirements are for applying...Best of luck !!!

Thank you so much for your reply. Can I be a member before I take the exam, or do I take the exam first? Is the book you mentioned all that is needed, or should I also get the book that is used for the wecareonline classes? I will definitely call HR at hospitals in my area to see what they require for hiring. You have given me very useful information. Thanks a bunch.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I think you can become a member before you take the test. Just tell them you are currently taking a course in HUC and you should only have to pay the "student" fee of $20.00 to become a member. It is a short online form you fill out and pay with a credit card. Buy the book, LaFleur Brooks Health Unit Coordinating (6th edition) to study & take all the online tests. The one with "We Care" is not half as good as this other one. There is an online Evolve website that you sign into when you get the book (it is on the inside cover page) and that is where all the chapters tests are at & the "mock" certification exam. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Good Luck !

64 months ago

sherry in Belmont, Wisconsin said: Thank you again for your advice. You have been very helpful:) One more thing. Does the book you recommend go over transcription?

Yes there are some chapters coverring transcription and the different orders, ie (drs, nutses order, med orders, etc) but it does not have any "practice" transcription exercises. It is a very through book. Lots to learn !!!!

sherry in Belmont, Wisconsin

64 months ago

Ok, thank you.

Lynn in Wichita, Kansas

64 months ago

Julie in Kingsland, Georgia said: Is there a course or program that one could take to prepare a person to become a Health Unit Coordinator?

Yes, There is a 100% online class that is great. Its very cost effective program. It helps train you for the National certification. You receive a Certificate of Completion.An instructor is available to you 5 days a week. I cant give you the contact information but it is listed on the NAHUC web site.I beleive it is the only online course that is listed and cost about 300.00 plus you will need to buy the book. You can do it all at their website.Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susie in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

63 months ago

Is there a big difference between the 5th and 6th edition of Lafleur Brooks Health Unit Coordinating book? I want to start studying for the certification exam. I don't want to buy a new book unless it is necessary.
Thank you!

Barbara in Seymour, Tennessee

63 months ago

Susie: Probably not. Just use the one you have and you should be fine. Usually it is such a small change in one edition to the next you don't even notice it. It could be one word that got changed and it would be a new edition. You should be fine...just use that book and take the exam. You will do just great. Best of Luck !!!

teena in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

how much do you make as a HUC??? if you don't mind...also would going to school raise your salary by much?

pam-i-am in Wildomar, California

62 months ago

I am taking a ROP class. That is a program that California has for people at no to little cost.....Look up Regional Occupational Progrms.

Wynella Williams in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Can anyone tell me when you did get the position of HUC did you feel like you knew what you were doing when you just used the books to study with?

Julie in Kingsland, Georgia

60 months ago

Wynella Williams in Tampa, Florida said: Can anyone tell me when you did get the position of HUC did you feel like you knew what you were doing when you just used the books to study with?

Where I work as a HUC, we all had to go through a 6 to 8 week on the job training. This on the job training is where you really learn the business.

sandy in Silver Spring, Maryland

60 months ago

Wynella Williams in Tampa, Florida said: Can anyone tell me when you did get the position of HUC did you feel like you knew what you were doing when you just used the books to study with?

Yes, I have been certified since 2000, I am very involved in the National Association of Health Unit Coordinators.
I did feel at that time, like I knew what I was doing and it has led me to other areas of acheivement. At one of the hospitals I worked (ICU) I was the lead HUC and ran a forum for the HUCS in the hospital, did scheduling and am presently working as a scheduling coordinator at another hospital.
this profession is very rewarding. You just have to find your niche and follow it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

La'Meashan in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

I am currently a c.n.a and I work as a caregiver right now I want to be a HUC and I need to know the easiest way of doing that and the cheapest way as well ,So all you HUC's say I could just buy the book study for the exam and take it and Thats all I need to do,Plz help thanx!

sgeter in Silver Spring, Maryland

60 months ago

yes you can, if you are of the type who can read and be ready to take the exam.
some people need the structure of a class room to do this.
whichever is your learning type, I encourage you do it.
there are schools, programs at the local community colleges throughout the states that you could utilize if perfer that route.
Good luck.

shannon pacheco in Saint Paul, Minnesota

59 months ago

HI, could you please tell me where those colleges are located . in the twin cities. im interested in taking a huc course to become certified. thank you, shannon

JulieNormanHouse@yahoo.com in Saint Marys, Georgia

58 months ago

www.nahuc.org/

This is a very helpful and informative site.

jahartle in Oil City, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

JulieNormanHouse@yahoo.com in Kingsland, Georgia said: The best folks to ask that question of would be Doctor's and Nurse's, but I will tell you this....

I know I'm a little late here with a comment, however, I was a HUC (back then they were known as Unit Clerk, Ward Clerk, or Unit Secretary) I was trained by the hospital who hired me and that was in 1973 !

jahartle in Oil City, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

jahartle in Oil City, Pennsylvania said: I know I'm a little late here with a comment, however, I was a HUC (back then they were known as Unit Clerk, Ward Clerk, or Unit Secretary) I was trained by the hospital who hired me and that was in 1973 !

I also need to add that in my opinion they will be around for awhile. HUC's perform an invaulable service to the RN's and they work for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. They are to an RN, and the floor activity, what a CNA is to an RN in pt care. Presently, after many years, I'm looking to return !

Sara in Saint Paul, Minnesota

57 months ago

shannon pacheco in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: HI, could you please tell me where those colleges are located . in the twin cities. im interested in taking a huc course to become certified. thank you, shannon

I am currently going to Saint Paul College to be a HUC. It is located right by the cathedral and by highway 94. I would definately recommend on going there for the classes. The schools email is www.saintpaul.edu

I also know of century college having an online class for a HUC.

Kay in Atlanta, Georgia

56 months ago

I work as an admin assist in a university school of medicine. I am very desirous of the 3 12-hr shifts they HUC's work. The pay is less than what I make but I can and and willing to make this sacrifice to spend more time with my family. I apply for these jobs all the time, but am never called. I have never worked in an acute-care setting. Do you think the certification will help me get such a position? TIA.

We Care Online in Marana, Arizona

56 months ago

You would definitely benefit! We have an online HUC course which prepares you for the NAHUC exam. You can find us at wecareonlineclasses.com! Let me know if you have any questions. cindy@wecareonlineclasses.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lori jayne in minneapolis, Minnesota

56 months ago

shannon pacheco in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: HI, could you please tell me where those colleges are located . in the twin cities. im interested in taking a huc course to become certified. thank you, shannon

Hi Shannon, I teach the HUC Program at Hennepin Technical College in Brooklyn Park. I taught previously at St. Paul. Both programs are good. The Hennepin program is one semester and St. Pauls is slightly more than one semester. The next start date is in the fall. Good luck to you in what ever you decide. The web address for Hennepin Tech is www.hennepintech.edu

Chatfield in Charleston, South Carolina

54 months ago

I currently have a bachelors degree in Business Management but I have taken electives in Anatomy and consumer health. I would like a career change and was interested in the Health Unit Coordinator program. I see that many people are not taking online classes and I am not sure what to do. Can anyone give me some direction?

Glendora Ryle in Wilmington, Delaware

53 months ago

I would love to have some info and the tools to teach a HUC class in delaware. there is not a school that provides this course.
By the way, I was certified by in the early 90's.I am sure that soon all hospitals will require you to be certified soon.

Dee in Pewaukee, Wisconsin

52 months ago

In looking at the wecare online website, I see that the course duration is 45 hours which is required to be completed in 90 days from the date of enrollment. Is the test at the end of the 45 hour online class timed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maci in Urbana, Ohio

50 months ago

The book I have is Health Unit Coordinating Third Edition...Myrna LaFleur-Brooks. Covers it all.....

Tgirl42604 in Warren, Michigan

48 months ago

I looked in to buying the Health unit coordinating by LaFleur Brooks 6th edition, but there is also a skills practice manual, was this helpful or needed?

lorrie in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

Dee in Pewaukee, Wisconsin said: In looking at the wecare online website, I see that the course duration is 45 hours which is required to be completed in 90 days from the date of enrollment. Is the test at the end of the 45 hour online class timed?

no,i took the course with wecare recently and finished it about 1.5 months ago & none of the tests are timed; you work at your own pace and you can finish at any point within 90 days.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.