The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

What do you enjoy most about health unit coordinator work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Marcia Skousen in Phoenix, Arizona

78 months ago

I was employed as a HUC here in Phoenix AZ and the pay was $13/hour which is high for Phoenix. Top earners make about $15/hour here and they typically are CNA's who combine HUC duties with nursing assistant responsibilities. Please be aware this will probably be the busiest, most demanding job you will ever have. I would recommend this job only to those who plan to become health care workers such as nurses or technicians because it isnt a job you stay in for the long haul for most people. The work is too demanding and the pay too low to be a career choice. I worked twelve hour shifts were I could stop to take a lunch so be advised you will either love it or hate it, there is no in between!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Maryville, Tennessee

66 months ago

In my area of Tenn, I have seen the job postings for Health Unit Coordinator/Unit Secretary and most of them are saying "cross training as a CNA required"...Does anyone know if this is the case all over the US and do they train you for the CNA or will that be your responsibiity and costs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Michigan in Flint, Michigan

65 months ago

I am a CNA,that changed my position to make more money. It was not a qualification to be a CNA to recieve the position. There is no way in hell a person can perform the job of a CNA and work as a health Unit Coordinator too. That is crazy. My qualifications as a CNA did not even come up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Knoxville, Tennessee

65 months ago

Tara in Michigan in Flint, Michigan said: I am a CNA,that changed my position to make more money. It was not a qualification to be a CNA to recieve the position. There is no way in hell a person can perform the job of a CNA and work as a health Unit Coordinator too. That is crazy. My qualifications as a CNA did not even come up.

Tara:

Do you enjoy being a CNA though? When I first took the HUC course many years ago, it seemed like a job I would love. The only thing about CNA duties is the bathing/dressing of patients, etc. I am not sure I would like or be able to do that. I am only 100 pds. What are your main duties each day? I did find out that cross training is very hospital specific, so that is good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

zoesdad in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

51 months ago

I have been a HUC in a major university medical center surgery stepdown unit for 8 years. The job is hetic, crazy and sometimes just plain nuts (three admits lined up during a code blue). My hospital is trying to get HUCs to convert to CSTs (combined CNA & HUC). I will tell you first hand it does not work. No matter who your staff are (RNs) an person in a combined role will get worked to death.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marcia in Sun City, Arizona

51 months ago

Amen to that. I am no longer working as a HUC but I cannot imagine doing both the job of a HUC and a CNA and not burning out completely in a short time. Wow that is hard to believe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

raceegirl8 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

23 months ago

Does anyone know if an LPN can do HUC work without a certification? Or what all it would take to certify? I've nursed 20 years now & just want to get off my feet... I know that HUC work is not easy... It's very demanding

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.