HEO training/Apprenticeship 450 in SOUTHEAST TEXAS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

roxx in Groves, Texas

71 months ago

I would like to get some OJT training with a company out of southeast texas area beaumont port arthur area... or would like to try and get into the apprenticeship 450 program....can anyone help or tell me some things i should know? anyone know of any companies who give OJT or where i could work my way up? appreciate it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Daz in Dallas, Texas

71 months ago

Daz in Dallas, Texas said: Hello Roxx,
Take a look at WWW.doleta.gov/oa and scroll to the bottom of the page. There, you'll see a link called Program Sponsors Database which will allow you to search for apprenticeship programs by County/Occupation. You can also go to Workingintexas.com and search for training providers, jobs, etc. Good luck...

sorry Roxx, it should be workintexas.com, not workingintexas.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daz in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

Hi James,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daz in Dallas, Texas

70 months ago

Hi James, Sorry about the first entry, disregard it. For Heavy Operator Training in the Houston area, I'd recommend contacting the local International Union of Operating Engineers...
Local 450 (M)
8441 Gulf Freeway, Suite 302
Houston, Texas 77017

This info was pulled from their website. They offer a federally recognized apprenticeship program that will provide you with a nationally recognized certificate through the U.S. DOL, not to mention a good paycheck and benefits while you're gong through their program. Hope this helps...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

moesshop in Wasilla, Alaska

59 months ago

This is Moe's Shop - Forestry - Felling - Firewood. Alaska. DoD contractor.

We got programs that are SO SLOW that just throwing a kid in a rig and training them is faster and safer as they are surrounded by veteran operators who REQUIRE that they get all cards ASAP and are linked with the DMV for CDL permits.

What kind of programs are available in the Dallas area? How long are they?
What do they certify in?

Linked with other certifications - local, national, global?

I got a partner that is a "tree surgeon" and is going to be visiting the area in October.

Might stay over until the first of the year and go do contract work for me.

Is there a fast-track program to get him and anyone else I might send for this?

Just basics for up here for now.

Global trips require more specifics in trainings to equipment used in the areas.

Thanks.

Moe's Shop

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melvin Michaels in Corpus Christi, Texas

58 months ago

roxx in Groves, Texas said: I would like to get some OJT training with a company out of southeast texas area beaumont port arthur area... or would like to try and get into the apprenticeship 450 program....can anyone help or tell me some things i should know? anyone know of any companies who give OJT or where i could work my way up? appreciate it

Hello, This oppertunity that youre looking in to has paid off for my wife and family.
I do not operate any more. However, I am now a trainer provider. Out of my Thirteen years of operating cranes.(from the manufacturer stand point/Operating Manuel), they may or may not be the most stringent of rules. you have youre company policies. then if you are offshore you have MMS, and then A.P.I`s Recomendation whitch MMS references so in return essentiarly make A.P.I the law,(example) Manufacturer will state you must have 2 full wraps left on a boom drum. MMS states you must have 3 wraps left on a drum. Where A.P.I states 5 full wrapes is the minimum wraps left on a boom drum. If you do not stick to the most strengent you could recieve a personal fine and have the company that you work for recieve a higher score, that companies use to determine if there able to work for a particular company. When working on land youre at risk in Many other ways. The enviroment that youre working.(Example, Punch holes in the ground due to the weight of the mashine knocking the crane out of level. Cranes do not have charts when its out of level. The highways create its own risks..(Example, 90% of the moble cranes 90 ton and more are over weight. These mashines have to be striped of all tool boxes, all steel pad`s, and are all the time at risk for over weight tickets and much more. Depending who you work for and how seriusly he takes his work will determine in how hard of a time you could be facing at the scales. All I described is with out even sitting in the operator set. Simply put,know the rules

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

James A. Flournoy in Houston, Texas said: I have worked in the construction field and
road construction for 25 years. Although I
do have exp. on several types of equipment,
it would seem that to become a cert. operator would open up doors that are closed at this time. I have a TWIC card of
which shows there has been an F.B.I. back
ground check preformed on me. Working in this type of field, and out in the open has
always been where I preferred to be. But without being certified,in this day and age,my options are slim. So I am trying to move forward by becoming certified.

Hello, there are many roads you can choose, When determining competencies. one of the best that has worked, first decide where you whant to work if you decide you whant to work offshore then you will need to get the Sixth edition of A.P.I(Recomendation and mainteneces of off-shore cranes). Then determine what type of crane. Friction or hydrolic/Electric operator. When reading A.P.I you will find rules needed for all cranes. However friction you will need a higher skill level the if you were in hydrolic/electric. So you can see that a friction operator would be the most demanded.

58 months ago

moesshop in Wasilla, Alaska said: This is Moe's Shop - Forestry - Felling - Firewood. Alaska. DoD contractor.

We got programs that are SO SLOW that just throwing a kid in a rig and training them is faster and safer as they are surrounded by veteran operators who REQUIRE that they get all cards ASAP and are linked with the DMV for CDL permits.

What kind of programs are available in the Dallas area? How long are they?
What do they certify in?

Linked with other certifications - local, national, global?

I got a partner that is a "tree surgeon" and is going to be visiting the area in October.

Might stay over until the first of the year and go do contract work for me.

Is there a fast-track program to get him and anyone else I might send for this?

Just basics for up here for now.

Global trips require more specifics in trainings to equipment used in the areas.

Thanks.

Moe's Shop

Hello, I understand the frustration. However, people to have the type of training that is needed to determine competencies. I would not allow a person running a hydrolic crane to run a friction crane with out a set of guidelines to determine if there skill sets are with in there capabilities. Please Understand that it takes many years to have a skill allowing them to Know that somthing was to happen before it happens.. To be able to read a banksman signals when somthing is close to a happening. to think about is far fetched but TRUE.
To answere youre first question. Is there a type of school to porvide certs on there competencies. However a school is the norm for some people. they are not in the buisness of failing people. Buisnesses will not send their crane operators to school if the school were to fail them.
So would it be true to have vet. train them...NO
The truth is, many including my-self were trained by vets. and what I found was some information by him were true alot was not. There is alot of information revised since they have broke out.

moesshop in Wasilla, Alaska

58 months ago

Well my Heavy-Equipment Contractor has been working my "tree surgeon" for a bit now and has over 40 years experience and his father who is 90 is still climbing in the machines and barking orders that perfection has not been reached I hear.

I laugh and am relieved he took him under his wing and "threw him" at it!!!lol...

His main compalint is that the local hires are morons or the "90-day wonders" so that is why I will end up hiring out of state and get a summer training program with the HEC ( haven't run this theory by him yet) but the way things are looking up here we will have to. the ones who are local union are a "sitting" one and don't do anything but sit and wait. Up here the terrain changes so much that you have to "hop" out of the machines and move something - rock-tree-roots
and the ones that are out of Anchorage are lazy butts..the ones that are good are busy and laughing at the idiots that are left - relaliating that the pay should be better..and that is agreed and no argument from either...problem is...

Alot of the Alaska Contractors are "fly by night" and quality of work is poor!!!

I have got called over a dozen times with folks/neigbors who complain...

SO - those retired might want to go online and find cheap land and in the summer come up open up a shop and watch the folks line up for QUALITY work...

I got projects concurrently to not be able to fund these businesses but I am almost annoyed enough to call "old investors" and tell them this: times are bad, all is to sell and cheap to buy, quality of contracting services is low, buy now and set up businesses in regions with highest ratio of "complaints" of services.

They know all the in's and out's of insentives if they do that. Rural business.

When I get time I will get to that.

But ask around - go online to local unions and ask about QUALITY of services?

All the idiots migrated up here and all Alaskans seem brash and mean...

We are warding off the insects!!!lol..

Jimbo in Brisbane, Australia

35 months ago

Agree with what others say, can't hurt to get more certifications.

<a href="www.forkliftlicencetraining.com.au">Forklift Licence | Australia </a>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tc1 in San Antonio, Texas

31 months ago

I have a question/ questions.
I have a 19 year old son. He is just not sure what he wants to do, he works part-time in mechanic shop as an errand boy, gose to college( not going well), and part-time in the fields cleaning pipes.

My brother suggested just sending him to heavy duty equipment school, we are in San Antonio Texas,

What are schools located in this state and what classes should he take?

And are there opportunities for someone his age (19)?
any other suggestions are appreciated.

motherof3babys25 in Tyler, Texas

27 months ago

i am a single mom raisin three kids i want to learn and get my heavy equipment paper but dont know where to go im 27 years old

stapdee in Houston, Texas

24 months ago

I recently attended the ATS school in Sun Prairie WI. I am NCCCO and NCCER certified, also have CPR and first aid certifications. I have a class A CDL, certified rigger and signal person and 1 1/2 yrs experience in the pipeline refineries. I been looking for a job for a while now but everyone wants someone with seat time. If anyone out there is willing to give me a chance please send me a reply. I also have knowledge in reading blueprints and surveying. Thank you so much.

DRL in AUSTIN, Texas

24 months ago

stapdee in Houston, Texas said: I recently attended the ATS school in Sun Prairie WI. I am NCCCO and NCCER certified, also have CPR and first aid certifications. I have a class A CDL , certified rigger and signal person and 1 1/2 yrs experience in the pipeline refineries. I been looking for a job for a while now but everyone wants someone with seat time. If anyone out there is willing to give me a chance please send me a reply. I also have knowledge in reading blueprints and surveying. Thank you so much.

We are looking for a Heavy Equipment Operator in South Texas.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.