Heavy Equipment Operator **new job**

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

tp in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

KennethD in Eugene, Oregon said: Has anyone taken the Advanced course in Heavy Equipment Operation at Heavy Equipment Operators School of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon? If you have can you please tell me about your experience, and let me know if you recieved Adequate training. Where you successful in gaining employment in the field, did you recieve a wallet card, where you listed in the National Registry of Equipment Operators? How many hours/seat time did you get per day and was there enough equipment for everyone or did you have to stand around and wait?

You really wanna know? Going into it as a lost 20-somethin', I honestly enjoyed it. The school was great. Instructors were impressivley kind, helpful, and for sure-very qualified.
The equipment was divided in a way that no one stood around, unless you got behind a class-clown, who wanted to goof. The lessons, or projects assigned were interesting, and useful as experience in the field.
I would argue that an average person with no experience should go for the 6 week course, flunk it, and take it again for free, to maximize there chances of being fully taught!
So for me it was all right. It needed more on actual seat time though. I would say it is more of a school to start someone out in, not for someone who can already operate/ check grade. As far a actual time... I'd say 60 hrs for each of the eight pieces of equipment?
Oh yes! We did get the wallet card, or "pocket-diploma of uselessness". But no, we were, to my knowledge, not put on any n.r.o.e.o.
Furthermore, I was promised a resumee when I graduated, to aid in my job search. Here I am well over 3 yrs later...still no resumee...
So... "Job placement assistance"... if you would even call it that, was not present at all.
Hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Henry Ruff

81 months ago

Equipment operator for 20 years, proficient on dozier, backhoe/loader, trackhoe, pan... Have built golf courses for many years, box culverts, site clearing and grading. Currently foreman for asphalt company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tom Mains in Elkhorn, Wisconsin

81 months ago

ARARAT ROCK in Kaycee, Wyoming said: Are you still looking for a job? We are a rock crushing operation and gravel pit located in Kaycee, WY.

I have been an operator for 18 years can you get me a job Iwill relocate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

morgan haney in Ione, Washington

81 months ago

Operator, Maintenance, and Assisted diesel mechanic
Operator, maintenance on equipment listed: 773 Off road haul truck, Hauling from excavator to fill. Kenworth T-2000 fuel/lube truck, Maintenance on truck and all equipment on job site. D-5 cat, Building slopes and pushing dirt at the fill. D-9 cat, Ripping and pushing dirt at the fill. PC-400 excavator, Digging ditches, loading trucks and back filling pipe ditches. 980 loader, Loading trucks. 420 Backhoe, Digging ditches and cleaning up job site. 315 cat hoe-pack, hoe-packing pipe trenches. Kenworth T-2000 water truck, watering job site. Kenworth W-900B dump truck, hauling dirt. Skytrack extenda-reach fork lift, unloading freight trucks. Also, assisted the diesel mechanic on all the heavy equipment and trucks. I was able to get enough experience that I did most of the work by myself with no supervision when it was needed. I was a full time employee with KLB until recently getting laid off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

morgan haney in Ione, Washington

81 months ago

thats just some of my experience please contact me by e mail if you know of a job or want more info
talon.novalee@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Eugene, Oregon

80 months ago

KennethD in Eugene, Oregon said: Has anyone taken the Advanced course in Heavy Equipment Operation at Heavy Equipment Operators School of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon? If you have can you please tell me about your experience, and let me know if you recieved Adequate training. Where you successful in gaining employment in the field, did you recieve a wallet card, where you listed in the National Registry of Equipment Operators? How many hours/seat time did you get per day and was there enough equipment for everyone or did you have to stand around and wait?

I am considering the same school for later this May. Have you found any info out there either positive or negative? After reading all of these threads about other schools it kinda makes me nervous about spending almost 11 g's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tim fisher, fisher excavating in Mount Vernon, Washington

80 months ago

Patrick in Eugene, Oregon said: Hello, I was wondering if the schooling has paid off for you. I am considering the same school so any advice will be helpful

i attended the school a little over 3 years ago. it was a pretty decent school for learning grade checking, and lay outs, and how to calculate materials. it did teach me the basic operations of alot of equipment. but as with all schools, the real world ways of doing things were much different. so i guess it depends on what you are looking for. it teaches the basics, but you will not be some guru operator. only time and a good mentor will do that for you, but the school is a good stepping stone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Eugene, Oregon

80 months ago

was you able to find an operators job since you have attended? How was their job placement assistance, did it work for you? And what have potential employers said about your training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tim fisher, fisher excavating in Mount Vernon, Washington

80 months ago

i started my own company after i finished school, so i did not use the job placement. with out the help of others, i would have been totally lost. the school teaches the basics, but it is impossible to teach real world experience. there is just too many things to know about when operating, codes, what type of materials work for each situation, how to work with different materials, wet and dry, how to lay all the millions of different lines, water, sewer, drains, electric, etc.... use the school as a starting point then find someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to teach you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David Zinn in Monroe, Washington

80 months ago

I understand your point of getting education, than experience. I have education but am having a difficult time finding an employer willing to hire someone with strong resume but limited experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

the jamy in Morocco

80 months ago

hey everybody
i am Jamy, i also need a job as an Heavy Equipment Operator,
i ve worked in a mining of phosphate for three years i also study for 9 months in shcool works about driving heavy equipment,,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charles Barthel in Puyallup, Washington

68 months ago

I am an Operator/Ground men/Dump Truck Driver. 5 years Exp. in Underground Utilities: Power, Cable, Phone. I have ran various backhoes, rock saws, trenchers, sweepers, vac trucks, 1"-6" road boars. I have ran a bunch of machinery but there is more left to learn. I've worked my way from ground men up to operator in 2 years. I am an extremely fast learner, very reliable, and hard working. I am prior military for 3 years in the active Army. I was an 11/C Mortar man Infantryman attached to the 3rd Brigade on Fort Lewis. I have a "can do" attitude and eager to get my feet set in a company for the long run. If there are any companies interested contact me. LiL_Skillz@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tim bovee in Herriman, Utah

65 months ago

i am a35 year operatior on allmost every piece of equipment/i am depinditable and a hard worker I also have a class A cdl for years and a clean driving record.

jetendra.mishra in Bombay, India

65 months ago

Patrick in Eugene, Oregon said: Hello, I was wondering if the schooling has paid off for you. I am considering the same school so any advice will be helpful

I M excavator&dozar opretor

jeffrey simonis in Cottage Grove, Oregon

65 months ago

I've been talking with eugene heavy equipment operators school for three months now about getting in. A gov't scholarship is supposed to pay for most of it, but we'll see. One thing I keep hearing is that they have job placement after graduation, but today I learned that going to "Indeed.com" was somewhat their placement service.
Anybody else know how they "place their students"?
I have 28 years in construction industry and thought this would be a good way to wrap up my career.

Karl the heavy equipment guy

65 months ago

Don't waste your time and money Jeff.And if you get the government grant don't be wasting my money.These so called schools are just not worth it,I have seen the results of one of these schools and the guy couldn't hit dirt if he threw his hat at the ground with 3 trys

Shapleigh Maine in Bowdoinham, Maine

64 months ago

I am thinking of going to SMCC in South Portland to learn heavy equipment operating. Think this is a good idea? Or should I go out west to a school that has been teach heavy equip for a while.

Sallie in Newark, Ohio

54 months ago

best off to start in the Union if you can get int Operating Engineers. There is not much work out there in the US been looking for 4 months

cory in Mansfield, Ohio

54 months ago

sally if you were an operator for 24 years, why would you need to go to operator school?

Sallie in Newark, Ohio

54 months ago

cory in Mansfield, Ohio said: sally if you were an operator for 24 years, why would you need to go to operator school?

I don't need school went to traing 5 yrs looking for work.

rnel_tles@yahoo.cvom in Cavite, Philippines

46 months ago

i am iooking for job backhoe operator or nheavy driver

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

louis in Lowell, Massachusetts

45 months ago

HI i work construction over 10 years now and i got experience in a variety of machines such as loaders, backhoes and excavators . I also work as a labor with no problem i can do side walk cement finish,set granit curb,stonewalls,ect!ect!
fluent in english and portuguese conversational and written/conversational in spanish .Please if you thing that some how i can fit to your company and start from the botton up please contact me juniordsh@hotmail.com

BALDEV in Apo

45 months ago

no comment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karl the heavy equipment guy in Winchester, California

45 months ago

ARARAT ROCK in Kaycee, Wyoming said: Are you still looking for a job? We are a rock crushing operation and gravel pit located in Kaycee, WY.

Yes,I'm interested.I have applied with you a while back and have worked in Kaycee years ago.Contact me at mongobish@yahoo.com .Thanks
Karl

CHARLIE96 in Northville, Michigan

43 months ago

Tom Mains in Elkhorn, Wisconsin said: I have been an operator for 18 years can you get me a job Iwill relocate

MY HUSBAND HAS RUN HEAVY EQUIPMENT FOR OVER 25 YEARS. HE HAS BEEN LAID OFF FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS. THERE'S BEEN SEVERAL CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES THAT HE'S WORKED FOR EITHER FILE BANKRUPT, OR THEY'VE BEEN FORECLOSED ON. WE'RE RELOCATING TO TEXAS IN JUNE. HE HAS'NT FOUND MUCH IN OHIO.

CJ in Sarasota, Florida

43 months ago

DEMOLITION:

Does ANYONE out there know a talented and experienced HIGH REACH OPERATOR for a
High Reach Demolition Excavator w/ hydraulic shears?
Maybe you don't, but maybe a friend or relative does?
I'm in a jam. I know there are good people and talent out there.

Please help if possible!!!

Sallie in Newark, Ohio

43 months ago

CJ in Sarasota, Florida said: DEMOLITION:

Does ANYONE out there know a talented and experienced HIGH REACH OPERATOR for a
High Reach Demolition Excavator w/ hydraulic shears?
Maybe you don't, but maybe a friend or relative does?
I'm in a jam. I know there are good people and talent out there.

Please help if possible!!!

Call the union hall in your area.

m.haneef in Austria

42 months ago

Though I have enough experience yet i need complete info regarding
said Post Crane operator
More will be discussed at contact or interview.
Please feel free to contact.

Regards

Mohammad Haneef

kannan damodaran in Bangalore, India

42 months ago

i have vast experience in operating heavy equipments like RTCH crane,[ kalmar,linde,terex 45 ton]front loader backhow,bob cat ,truck with40'trailor,etcalso i worked in csa LTD,ITT systems divisions,dyncorp. international,in kuwait and afghanistan.aso i got so many certificates for job weldone and froce protection powerful coins.

42 months ago

self has vast experience in MHE operations like grader,RTCH crane, fork lift,f/loader,backhow,etc.

42 months ago

self has vast experience in heavy equipment operating and worked in logcap 4

gdigaditch in Huntington Beach, California

41 months ago

Henry Ruff said: Equipment operator for 20 years, proficient on dozier, backhoe/loader, trackhoe, pan... Have built golf courses for many years, box culverts, site clearing and grading. Currently foreman for asphalt company.

stay at the asphalt co. not a lot of dozer work out here. also when u list equipment you can run you listed dozer first so thats what you run best right?

shoukathali in Doha, Qatar

36 months ago

wheel loader&dumtruck operator

bronco09 in Oak Harbor, Washington

31 months ago

I have 4 years and 7 months and 3 weeks(NNCER LVL 1 operator-ATS School for 3 wk course.) of experience on heavy equipment. i served in a topsoil and bark company for 3 years and 7 months operating Dresser 550, Cat 930-950 and Hyundai 740-7 front loaders and gas powered Melroe(Bobcat) skid steer and a cat 235C excavator and Hyundai Robex 160LCD -7 Excavator. i have been unemployed since October 2008 when the economy when down hill. i am highly motivated and I am very passionate about being a heavy equipment operator for a big construction outfit/company. My most desirable piece of equipment is a excavator and backhoes... i live in washington state any suggestions?

Eugene in Los Angeles, California

25 months ago

I obtained a HEO certificate a month ago from Deep creek construction school. and eagerly want to start to work.I would consider nation wide position though.I can operate Bulldozer,skid steer,loaders both types,dump truck,excavator,skip loader,trencher,backhoe.I can set up transit,stakes,grade checking,soil ABC,oxygen-acetylene cutting,solid knowledge of mobile hydraulic circuit,rigging,dig alert procedures,math,and I am bilingual.IF any one allude me who hires around you at this time let me please,I would be most grateful for for an employment assistance.
Experience is time we spend acquiring skills and put them in the backpack that becomes heavier day to day.We are all have it, wear our self down to make a living, you should feel that weight already.It is almost always possible to buy a speed to pick the skills up faster then others.I choose to operate "Yellow metal". It is a vital attribute to me to like what I do in life that is what I relish to do a little bit better daily times 365 what could be better?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.