Heavy Equipment Operator

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 591)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jay in San Diego, California

84 months ago

Rodolfo Gonzalez in Tucson, Arizona said: I graduated from a Construction School in Las Vegas, NV. on Nov 10 2006. I am a H E O I II & III, NCCER Certified. Did hands on Training on all the Machines, and have been looking for work, in Las Vegas NV, Southern Calif, and Arizona, and no one wants to hire me or even give me a chance. What does it take to get hired in this trade? I spent alot of money for this trade, and I've yet to see anyone willing to give me a chance.

Right on bro, I'm with ya! did you go to ATS (Nevada School of Construction)too? yea I thought I learned a new career, and it turns up to be sh!t!! ATS blows and I would not recommend, I wasted 12.5k! on the f#@king place!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

we got scamed in Bakersfield, California

84 months ago

man aint this something i went to ATS in colorado and have the same problem no one wants to hire if you have no experience i finally got a break with a demo company makeing almost nothing as a laborer/bobcat but yea if your thinking of going to ATS training school (DONT) SAVE YOUR 12Gs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

d6catd in Camarillo, California

83 months ago

we got scamed in Bakersfield, California said: man aint this something i went to ATS in colorado and have the same problem no one wants to hire if you have no experience i finally got a break with a demo company makeing almost nothing as a laborer/bobcat but yea if your thinking of going to ATS training school (DONT) SAVE YOUR 12Gs

guys the best advice that i can give you is to just start on the bottom and work your way up..i know its sux but ive been doin this for seven yrs and thats how i started. its hard for companys to put someone on a couple hundred thousand dollar machine and get the production they want without equipment damage just hang in there it will work out for you guys just hang in there
talk to you guys later,
Health

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

george perez in Las Vegas, Nevada

77 months ago

i've been in las vegas for two months and i cant find a job running heavy equipment anywhere around here. i moved from az where i've been running equipment for 11yrs i need work please someone help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

david broman in Jacksonville, Florida

77 months ago

im in the same boat, i went to a school in dothan, al, same stuff 10,000 and no job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

david broman in Jacksonville, Florida

76 months ago

it takes a lot of paitience, partly because the economy is busted from the resession, abd the housing market has almost come to a stndstill, it will pick back up! i finnaly got on with a company digging pools and doing pre grades, the hours are not that gteat because now, i need a cdl to cart around equipment and that test is hard, there is so much to remember, but i'll get it, well good luck, maybe look in to getting a cdl, your more atractive to companys if you have it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hulk in Owings Mills, Maryland

76 months ago

Hello David

What heay equipment school, did you go too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ben jackson in Nashville, Tennessee

76 months ago

i went to the one in dothan bout a month a go and knew more bout running equipment they did and ive been in this field 4 2 years i hear yall its all a scam i wished i could get my money back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kill_Dozer in Leesburg, Florida

76 months ago

I was with Local 825 Operating engineers for 30 years. Retired in Feb 07. I was trained at our union school in Edison N.J. Then spent 2 years as an appentice operator before getting my book.
Guys Listen to an old operator you need REAL SEAT TIME on a working jobssite. All those Pay Schools are a ripe off. I work for a non-union company now here in florida. I have personly sent away over 20 people who said they were operators. In just 3 mins. I can tell if you have it or not!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wade from California in Orange, California

76 months ago

Thank you guys for posting your comments you saved me from making a big mistake. All my life i wanted to run heavy equipment and I thought this was a great chance to do just that but after reading all of your comments ive been set straight. There are a lot of bull@@@@ training schools out there be careful. I did go to a truck driving school that was great, and after I took seven tests to get my CDL and all my endorsements, out of seven tests I only missed two thanks to Dootson.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Victorville, California

75 months ago

Im a Local 12 journeyman with 25 years experience looking for any kind of employment. I have ran loaders,dozers, excavator, blade hand, and have worked in a rock crushing plant. I have worked for a lot of large union outfits, but times are slow. Im a very hard worker looking for a good job. Also I have a fork lift license. Im planning to get my class A license also. Thanks hope to hear from someone soon .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JOSEPH LEWIS in CHICAGO, Illinois

75 months ago

LOOKING FOR WORK AS A HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR N.C.C.E.R. CERFIFIED LEVEL
I-II-III JULY 2007
CANT FIND ANY WORK IN THE CHICAGO AREA ALL EMPLOYERS SAY THAT YOU MUST BE IN THE UNION .I WILL JOIN BUT FIRST YOU MUST GO THREW THERE PROGRAM FIRST I AM IN 14.000 IN DEBT FROM THE SCHOOL .ALL THE JOB LEADS THAT I GET FROM( RED )ARE OUT DATED AND NO ONE ON HIS LIST IS HIRING I NEED HELP BAD !
IF YOU KNOW OF ANY COMPANY'S THAT ARE HIRING N.C.C.E.R.LEVEL I-II-III-OPERATORS WITH CLASS A CDL IN THE CHICAGO AREA GIVE ME A CALL 773-616-0312 THANKS .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Jay in San Diego, California said: Right on bro, I'm with ya! did you go to ATS (Nevada School of Construction)too? yea I thought I learned a new career, and it turns up to be sh!t!! ATS blows and I would not recommend, I wasted 12.5k! on the f#@king place!!

I WENT TO SCHOOL IN WI CERTIFIED JULY 2007 STILL HAVING TROUBLE IN FINDING A JOB ALL THE LEADS THAT I GET FROM (RED) THE PLACEMENT DIRECTOR ARE ALL OUT DATED AND THE ONES THAT ARE NOT NO ONE IS HIRING .ATS IS NOT LIVING UP TO WHAT THAY PROMMISED .I FIELD A CLAIM WITH THE BBB .TRY THAT YOU WANT GET YOUR MONEY BACK BUT MABT WE CAN STOP SOMEONE ELS FROM MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE TO .JOSEPH IN CHICAGO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Thanks esa101 in Fall River WI.
I will try Zachry .
Joseph.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Pasadena, California

75 months ago

I put my brother through the NAHETS training here in CA. That was five months ago. No one across the nation wants less than one year experience, and the school did not live up to their guarantee of helping to find a job. He has been doing construction all his life, 30+ years. He is now on the list to take the training over again with the local union here in CA, which is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where he is on the list is anyone's guess, and how long it will take to get in we don't know. For all you people thinking about spending $12000 dollars for training, it is just a big money making scam for these schools. You will get no help at all, and you won't get a job at the end of it. All you get is debt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

How true Kim .
Joseph In Chicago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jon doe in Murrieta, California

74 months ago

NCCCO IN late 07 ` dont watse your money on schools un less you have exp, and need to get certed ........not only a waste so far , but the instructor was a total pr-ck 80% the time , and socked at teaching - 4 grand , no job -

didnt spend any time teaching us riggin so, fortunaltely i was smart enough to make it and pass the basics --------whats a f-in cert if no one will hire you ?

tower crane of phx . save your change ....become a pro poker player your odds are better and you have a chance to make money -

74 months ago

JOSEPH LEWIS in CHICAGO, Illinois said: LOOKING FOR WORK AS A HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR N.C.C.E.R. CERFIFIED LEVEL
I-II-III JULY 2007
CANT FIND ANY WORK IN THE CHICAGO AREA ALL EMPLOYERS SAY THAT YOU MUST BE IN THE UNION .I WILL JOIN BUT FIRST YOU MUST GO THREW THERE PROGRAM FIRST I AM IN 14.000 IN DEBT FROM THE SCHOOL .ALL THE JOB LEADS THAT I GET FROM( RED )ARE OUT DATED AND NO ONE ON HIS LIST IS HIRING I NEED HELP BAD !
IF YOU KNOW OF ANY COMPANY'S THAT ARE HIRING N.C.C.E.R.LEVEL I-II-III-OPERATORS WITH CLASS A CDL IN THE CHICAGO AREA GIVE ME A CALL 773-616-0312 THANKS .

hey i have family in IL. i would go if there was an op to get in as a crane op . nothing in ca. dude , not even through the locals - let me know if ya get anywhere -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cleve tyree

74 months ago

finished school april 08 been on my computer 24 7 since then applying for work i cannot find any thing in this trade ooops their goes 8k

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Corey Rock in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

74 months ago

My name is Corey Rock and I am the Assistant Admissions Director for ATS (Associated Training Services). I know there are a few people on here who may have had a negative experience with a training school. For anyone who has attended an ATS school, I welcome you to call us so we can rectify your situation and help you with any issues you may have. Our job placement assistance is good for life and we proudly stand by that. There are also a number of people on here who have never been to a training school and have a strong opinion about them. It is very unfortunate that there are schools out there that do not live up to their word when it comes to placement assistance and other promises. I can assure you that ATS is NOT one of these schools. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality training followed by job placement assistance that is unmatched in the industry. Having been around longer than any school of its kind (over 40 years), we have an employment assistance database that is FULL of employers that are ready and willing to take a chance on a certified entry level employee and we are adding to that database daily. While no school can guarantee someone employment after training, ATS has the highest standards when it comes to meeting the needs of its graduates.

After reading some of these postings, there are a couple things I would like to clarify:
-ATS is not affiliated with NAHETS. (NAHETS is a separate group of schools that has been around for about 3 years.)
-ATS has locations in WI, NH, VA, SC, FL, OH, TX, CO, N.CA, and SO.CA. Some people are making references to “ATS Georgia” or “ATS Nevada” etc. ATS does NOT have schools in NV, GA, or OK)

While it is important for people to be able to view their opinions’ in forums like this, it is also important to hear both sides of a story. I welcome anyone with questions to contact me, and I will be more than happy to give you the facts. 800-383-7364 ex. 1111 or corey.r@atsdigs.com

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

cleve tyree

74 months ago

SIR in my recent e mail i did not intend to give the trade a negative i suppose what you are telling me is i picked the wrong school my mistake cleve tyree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cleve tyree san pablo ca.

74 months ago

home town

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Big Willy in Madison, Wisconsin

74 months ago

ATS doesn't even have a school in Vegas... That's NAHETS and that's why U don't have a job. My brother went to ATS a few years back and is making over $80K now. Maybe you should look in the mirror and ask if you would hire yourself. I doubt it and sometimes the truth hurts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Big Willy in Madison, Wisconsin

74 months ago

If you want to talk about schools that are a rip off, trying going to college... If you could ever get in. You go for 4, 5 or 6 years and end up 70K-100K in debt and still can't find a job in your field. 12K is nothing, compared to $100K in students loans. I should have done what my bro did years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

PackerFan_04 in Waterloo, Iowa

74 months ago

Funny stuff I am seeing on here with all the whining. My search was orginally to find some used H.E. parts to replace some broken ones and I ended up on here by chance; its entertaining so I kept on reading. I attended college and never even heard of JOB PLACEMENT that is on you as an ADULT. I made a career change and went to ATS a few years back and got certified, office jobs were boring me to death.

I now run a small excavating company and I would not hire anyone without being certified AND at least a diploma no matter how good they are on a machine.

Life lesson for all of you, jobs are out there for those willing to work hard for them. Coming out of college I had to bust my balls work crappy jobs gain the experience. Those crap jobs DID require a degree just to get in the door, just like a certification helps you get into a good company.

"Everyone wants experience" is all I see on here...well if that was the case the entire workforce would never renew it's self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PackerFan_04 in Waterloo, Iowa

74 months ago

+++++++++++++++++++SOLUTION++++++++++++++++++++

1. Put together a resume (companies usually will hold on to them)
2. Send it out to companies
3. Clean your self up- don't reek of booze
4. Be flexible and look for work outside of your hometown/state.
5. Be willing to bust your balls initial--nothing in life will be given to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Olympia, Washington

74 months ago

I have been considering going to the West Coast training center in Washington, I have no issue paying my dues to get into the business, the question is is there jobs to be got, or internships, if the market is so bad with the economy, are all the jobs taken?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Kim in Pasadena, California said: I put my brother through the NAHETS training here in CA. That was five months ago. No one across the nation wants less than one year experience, and the school did not live up to their guarantee of helping to find a job. He has been doing construction all his life, 30+ years. He is now on the list to take the training over again with the local union here in CA, which is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where he is on the list is anyone's guess, and how long it will take to get in we don't know. For all you people thinking about spending $12000 dollars for training, it is just a big money making scam for these schools. You will get no help at all, and you won't get a job at the end of it. All you get is debt.
i know you are right did the same thing to the tune of 8 grand cleve tyree san pablo ca.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Mike in Olympia, Washington said: I have been considering going to the West Coast training center in Washington, I have no issue paying my dues to get into the business, the question is is there jobs to be got, or internships, if the market is so bad with the economy, are all the jobs taken?

dont do it trust me BIG scam for you money cleve tyree san pablo ca.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TLH in Tampa, Florida

74 months ago

Was considering ATS for Heavy Equip Operator Training in Lecanto, FL. Anyone with 1st hand experience have any thoughts or recommendations. Don't want to spend $13K & end up with a job operating a hand shovel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eb in Clermont, Florida

74 months ago

TLH in Tampa, Florida said: Was considering ATS for Heavy Equip Operator Training in Lecanto, FL. Anyone with 1st hand experience have any thoughts or recommendations. Don't want to spend $13K & end up with a job operating a hand shovel.

completed the school in oct 2007 and have not got a job yet. The job placement is bull shi!!!!.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

no job in Boynton Beach, Florida

74 months ago

as of right now, there is no heavy equipment operator jobs in Florida, unless u want to make 12.00 an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

union shops in Bakersfield, California

74 months ago

can anyone point me in the direction of the union that would apprentice someone in bakersfield for crane operator? i have 23+ years experience in non union construction / heavy equip / truck driving and USMC truck driver

Anna C in Barstow, California

74 months ago

If you can find another job doing something else I would highly suggest not running heavy equipmemt. It takes the life out of you. I know my husband who was a member of international union of operating engineers for 25 years always told me that it kill him. Well that day did come on June 3, 2008 lucky he wasnt on a piece of equipment but he was only 51. He loved his job and was addicted to dirt I swear but the wear and tear it does to your body its just not worth it. Good luck everyone, I know times are bad in this crappy economy, but really think about it. Thanks for letting me share this Anna C so cal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

larry simpkins in Lima, Ohio

74 months ago

Kim in Pasadena, California said: I put my brother through the NAHETS training here in CA. That was five months ago. No one across the nation wants less than one year experience, and the school did not live up to their guarantee of helping to find a job. He has been doing construction all his life, 30+ years. He is now on the list to take the training over again with the local union here in CA, which is FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where he is on the list is anyone's guess, and how long it will take to get in we don't know. For all you people thinking about spending $12000 dollars for training, it is just a big money making scam for these schools. You will get no help at all, and you won't get a job at the end of it. All you get is debt.

I was thinking about becoming a heavy equiptment operator,, but after readying this one,,, i will be thinking hard on this one... thanks for the input here,,, i`ll think on this one...larry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

i unfornatual did the same thing i should not of went to school and saved 8 thousand

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jon g in Worcester, Massachusetts

74 months ago

i went to ats in lecanto,fl.i personally thought the school was overpriced for the knowledge that they have and teach you.going into it i had 3 years construction experience building sub divisions in central mass and learned more just by working with experienced people.im not saying it was a complete waste because you do need to know a lot of the classroom material.i do use some of the excavation math on a daily basis out in the field but the operating that you do there doesnt even come close to comparing to what you do in real life on a job site.then again you do come out of there with a certification which puts you ahead of someone who doesnt have it.choose wisely!

Amanda Miele in Deltona, Florida

73 months ago

My husband is really wanting to learn to operate a grader because he cannot stand only making $10 an hour. We are trying to find a good school to send him to but these comments worry me. I know experience is the best teacher that is the case with any field. Even attorneys who go to school for 8+ years still need experience before they can be like Johnny! But the downfall is on the job they do not just let anyone operaate equipment. It would be a good 5 years before that would maybe happen and even that is not garunteed. But in the meantime we cannot live off of $10/hr. After gas, its equivalent to working for 40 dollars a day, impossible!!! So anyways is it really that hard to make it even after the school?? And what school would be best, any body who can help, please do!!!!

Steve in Bakersfield, California

73 months ago

honestly... i was "kinda" scammed by a truck driving school here in bakersfield that wanted to send me to a crane operator school after i finished with them. probably the owners brother or something, anyway, i did research and found that the only GOOD ways to get into the whole thing is either working for a company like BJ Services out of Houston; maybe Haliburton or similar outfits that start you out at about 12/hour until you get certs and training that will get you up to where you want to be in a few years. these are obviously apprenticeship jobs, but at least it is work with a future. the other way is OE union... but in CA where i am it will be closed to new apprentices until maybe late 2010. after over 25 years in construction i was making about 60k with my last company that took a dive due to the owner cheating on prevailing wage.. so there went that! i am just gonna either get out and wait for that "city/county/state" job for the pension or i don't know what. i wish i had that "degree in engineering" i should have got 20 years ago. sound familiar? good luck my fellow hard workers, we will need it now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Bakersfield, California

73 months ago

larry simpkins in Lima, Ohio said: I was thinking about becoming a heavy equiptment operator,, but after readying this one,,, i will be thinking hard on this one... thanks for the input here,,, i`ll think on this one...larry

yes, think on it well... but take action and make the calls. CA union is closed for another 2 years. its not looking good for CA unless you go into the oil industry. then you got great opportunities. even convicted felons are making over 75k/yr in Bakersfield... but you gotta know somebody AND in the oil fields anything that can hit you can kill you.

Cheryl in Whittier, California

73 months ago

Does anyone know if the new apprentice wait list for OE unions in other states is less than the two year wait in California?

Save a buck for gas in Silver Spring, Maryland

73 months ago

I like to thank ever one for saving me from wasting a boat load of cash on ATS. Yea shure i want spend allot money to learn and then still end up starting to hold a dam sign ore a shovel f that crap. I didnt show up today and there calling me like a used car sales person. No show means no 5k for them.
I looking at crane schools close by. The schools are advertised on the va websites of all the school in the usa.
I think if i got riped 13k i would went postal on those scum bags. This web site gave me the truth and not some used car sales pitch to steal my cash.
Thanks guys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

i would still like to get into crane w/ mine in oil,
dude watch out for the crane schools too. man
i posted on this a while back - i did one and got my nccco but the school and the instrcuctor socked , they talk their sh- t alright . i even complained to the board of secondary ed, they did nothing - all in on it , payed off ya know!

NCCCO IN late 07 ` dont watse your money on schools un less you have exp, and need to get certed ........not only a waste so far , but the instructor was a total pr-ck 80% the time , and socked at teaching - 4 grand , no job -

didnt spend any time teaching us riggin so, fortunaltely i was smart enough to make it and pass the basics --------whats a f-in cert if no one will hire you ?

tower crane of phx . save your change ....become a pro poker player your odds are better and you have a chance to make money -

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Save a buck for gas in Laurel, Maryland

73 months ago

TLH in Tampa, Florida said: Was considering ATS for Heavy Equip Operator Training in Lecanto, FL. Anyone with 1st hand experience have any thoughts or recommendations. Don't want to spend $13K & end up with a job operating a hand shovel.

try you local union

KILL_DOZER in Leesburg, Florida

73 months ago

Hi All,
I just got home from a jobsite here in Florida. We work 2 weeks on 1 week off. I watched as the foreman went through over 30 operator wantabe's. I hate it when I hear how much they spent to learn how to operate the IRON. And every time I have to get off my grader and let one of you NOOBs get on and show what you think is grading. Takes me 10 mins. to fix. And to all that think they can do FINISH GRADE you have to pay your dues. I do FINISH GRADE with a D6N 6 way or 143 Cat Grader. Also I am Retired Union andmy training was FREE!!
I went back to work out, caues I was boored at home. I only get 20.35 hourly but its non union. WE work 24 hours aday with 2 12 hour shifts. The project is for only 5 more months. And I have already been asked to stay on for the next project.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

UM YEAH SO ! i bet some f like you thought the same thing when you started - sounds like your to good for every one else now .

so are you offering a job or your ego? dude

KILL_DOZER in Leesburg, Florida

73 months ago

Everytime I read everyones story on here it just make me think how dumb are you people!
Most everyone here want to operate the BIG IRON. But lets face the facts you won't I can go anywhere and get a job. I have a resume that has everything I operate including Jobsite or projects I have done!
Employers want Experienced OPERATORS.
Even in the Union guys learn the machines but in their 1st year the usually are on End Dumps or worse Rollers.
And at the end of a long cold or hot day I still have to bust track { Clean dirt off Under Carriage ) myself. I still carry a shovel behind my seat.
The jobs are out there people. But to pay some company to learn how to be a Heavy Equipment Operator is just wrong!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sean a in Stuart, Florida

73 months ago

edwin said: Has anyone been to the heavy equiptment tranning school in Dothan Alabama? I have herd some great things about it when it comes to job placement.

dont do it there job placements are out of date by about a year!

micheal strachan in Ashland, Oregon

73 months ago

Kill_Dozer in Leesburg, Florida said: I was with Local 825 Operating engineers for 30 years. Retired in Feb 07. I was trained at our union school in Edison N.J. Then spent 2 years as an appentice operator before getting my book.
Guys Listen to an old operator you need REAL SEAT TIME on a working jobssite. All those Pay Schools are a ripe off. I work for a non-union company now here in florida. I have personly sent away over 20 people who said they were operators. In just 3 mins. I can tell if you have it or not!

Hey Kill, I was wondering, I'm a residential home builder and a licensed contractor here in southern Oregon. Before working here,in Oregon I was a union carpenter in California,I worked on mid and high rise commercial projects. I would like to change things up,I've been thinking about HEO for years now but have been distracted by the constant in-flow of work with the housing boom here. You stated that you do HR for a non-union co. I know that you feel an apprenticeship is the way to go and I agree but with the wait time,to go non-union might be fastest or more reasonable. Would you consider hireing a person like me,with my constrution background, with the intention of training into HEO if I proved myself to be worth while? Just wondering,I'm trying to get a feel for all my options into the trade and could use any helpfull info I can get. I would appreciate your time in shareing your knowledge,believe me I know how rare it is for someone to give a guy the time of day. Thanks

Kill_Dozer in Leesburg, Florida

73 months ago

The facts are these I was Union. I am now RETIRED. I work for a Non-Union outfit here in Florida. I started out with them as Finish Grader Operator. Now I am a Working/Foreman. In the company I was told to help out the other operators and get them up to speed. With all the new stuff like Laser Grading,GPS for setting grades, how to do Layouts. Most of the guys and girls I am working with are used to the old ways. And since you asked would I help someone learn how to operate the iron. Yes I would.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.