LOOKING FOR UNION APPRENTICSHIP PROGRAMS IN CONSTRUCTION/HEAVY EQUIPMENT/ BUILDING TRADES....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 146)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Hightower in Newberg, Oregon

83 months ago

I am a military certified heavy equipment operator from Oklahoma. I have recently moved to Newberg and am looking for work. My friends tell me that unions are the way to go, so. How do I find them, How do I join them, How much does it cost, How much does it pay, How soon can I start working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (169) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Boutte in Pomona, California

83 months ago

looking to get into an apprenticeship program in heavy equip. any info. would be helpfull, currently live in san bernadino co. any other info on apprenticeships would be helpfull. thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in New Kensington, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

I was a surveyor for awhile and being at construction sites alot I was always courious on how I could get into driving the dumps. I believe the technical name for them is Vocational trucks but I'm not positive. For and example to better help understand what I am saying if you were to go to PeterBuilt.com then click on truck gallery and go down to vocational models and look at model 367 that's what I want to get into. Any information at all would help. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Magnetic Springs, Ohio

81 months ago

Rob in New Kensington, Pennsylvania said: I was a surveyor for awhile and being at construction sites alot I was always courious on how I could get into driving the dumps. I believe the technical name for them is Vocational trucks but I'm not positive. For and example to better help understand what I am saying if you were to go to PeterBuilt.com then click on truck gallery and go down to vocational models and look at model 367 that's what I want to get into. Any information at all would help. Thanks

Its a dump truck Rob.All you got to do is get a CDL licience and some trucking co.will hire you,you probably will not be driving a nice shiny 367 but you will have accomplished your dream.Depending on your age you should aim at somthing hire than driving a truck,but that is were i started,Best wishes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Magnetic Springs, Ohio

81 months ago

All you guy's looking to join an apprenticeship program my hat is of to you.Look up (IUOE)international operating engineers in what ever state you are living in.Get phone # and call,get info. google IUOE local 3 there taking apps right now (not a whole lot of jobs here though,But what a great place to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

K.Maylone in Long Beach, California

80 months ago

IUOE Local 12 in Pasadena, CA is currently accepting applications for apprenticeship. You must appear in person at any Local 12 dispatch office on Wednesday's between 8AM and 4:30PM thru the last Wednesday in February. This is both a classroom and OJT program that is recognized as one of the best in the country. It requires 6000 hrs OJT and a new apprentice starts out at over $20.00.

But you better hurry. Feb. 27th is the last day to get the application. Testing of candidates will likely occur sometime in late March or early April.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

K.Maylone in Long Beach, California

80 months ago

Jeff Boutte in Pomona, California said: looking to get into an apprenticeship program in heavy equip. any info. would be helpfull, currently live in san bernadino co. any other info on apprenticeships would be helpfull. thank you.

IUOE Local 12 in Pasadena, CA is currently accepting applications for apprenticeship. You must appear in person at any Local 12 dispatch office on Wednesday's between 8AM and 4:30PM thru the last Wednesday in February. This is both a classroom and OJT program that is recognized as one of the best in the country. It requires 6000 hrs OJT and a new apprentice starts out at over $20.00.

But you better hurry. Feb. 27th is the last day to get the application. Testing of candidates will likely occur sometime in late March or early April.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matthew Torres in Port Orchard, Washington

79 months ago

I recently moved to the seattle area and need to contact the right people in order to join the local union. so far its not been to easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cody in Oxnard, California

78 months ago

How hard is the test to get in local 12

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

marcus valencia in Ventura, California

78 months ago

I have recently graduated from the Nevada School of Construction for Heavy Equipment Operator, I need help finding an apprentice position or the nearest union to get help in finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

santos in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

do you guys think this a good school to go to www.cit-la.com/index.html?cause i am thinking about going to this one.thank you all inputs welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marcus valencia in Ventura, California

78 months ago

yes. i think it is a really good school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

santos in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

do anyone know what does a Piledriver do and how much they make?thank you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel Chatterton in Dayton, Ohio

77 months ago

I JUST NEED AN EMPLOYER TO SHOW HOW PRODUCTIVE I AM AND I AM HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING THAT OPPURTUNITY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Neil in Bradenton, Florida

77 months ago

Is it worth paying for school when you still need an apprentichip to become a licensed operator?

I am also seeking a union apprentiship program through a union,
possibly in manatee county fl or colorado, washington state, utah. It seems so hard to find any such apprentiships. where do i look?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

James in Colorado Springs, Colorado

77 months ago

I want to become an operator with the union. what is the best way to go about this? My dad was an iron worker in michigan so i have been around construction my whole life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jon Patterson in Colorado Springs, Colorado

74 months ago

I am a Carpenter's Apprentice in Colorado, How do I find Union Jobsites on the web, so I can go to the actual address and talk to the Foreman to get on the job ?, it seems that I am going in circles and waisting gas wich is'nt getting any cheaper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

STEPAN MACHALABA in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

I am painter in company more three years.Iam looking for union constuction companies because I don't have benefits. I am honest,responsible,flexible , able to work independly and dynamic team environment. Thank you. Sincerely Stepan

STEPAN MACHALABA in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

I am painter in company more three years.Iam looking for union constuction companies because I don't have benefits. I am honest,responsible,flexible , able to work independly and dynamic team environment. Thank you. Sincerely Stepan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh T Johnson in Los banos, California

73 months ago

I wil be returning to Los banos Cali inlate september from commercial fishing in Alaska and I would like to get straight to work running equipment or a shovel if thats where I need to start if any bodys got anything in the area let me know thank you very much

rox in Groves, Texas

73 months ago

anyone know about the IUOE 450 in BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR(Nederland) TEXAS? i would like to get into the apprenticeship program! any help is appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brandon Todd in Placerville, California

73 months ago

I am trying to find a apprenticeship program for heavy equipment opperators if anyone knows of any please let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael J.Cahill in Cleveland, Ohio

72 months ago

a lil' over a year ago I became a certified heavy equipment operator i got a job after a painful amount of tedious applying and i was only able to find a position at a landscape supplier, i may possibly be getting laid off for the winter . id like to get a full time position working as an operator year round willing to move out of state . Also i've been told to join the union but i dont know how to go about doing so . so if anyone could help it'd be highly appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michael J.Cahill in Cleveland, Ohio

72 months ago

a lil' over a year ago I became a certified heavy equipment operator i got a job after a painful amount of tedious applying and i was only able to find a position at a landscape supplier, i may possibly be getting laid off for the winter . id like to get a full time position working as an operator year round willing to move out of state . Also i've been told to join the union but i dont know how to go about doing so . so if anyone could help it'd be highly appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karl the heavy equipment guy in Winchester, California

72 months ago

Michael
If you decide to go union there are some things you need to consider.First,if you go into an apprentice program it will be a few years before you get into a seat full time.Second,If you go and buy an operators book you will be put on the C list(that's the bottom).Third,If your International Union of Operating Engineers local in Cleveland is jammed full of out of work operators;you will probably need someone who is already a member in good standing
to sponsor you and the book will be expensive.Honestly,Right now with the housing slow down,construction is not good.I have 25 years as an operator and 10years as a foreman and I'm not staying busy.I hate to be the harbinger of doom; but you should know that you will be competing with guys like me for what little jobs there are right now.Just keep filling out apps and whenever possible "sell yourself".Good luck to you,if you have any other questions e-mail me at mongobish@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dirt Slinger in Bismarck, North Dakota

72 months ago

I am an operator from North Dakota who is gonna get the lay off due to freeze up soon. I run track hoe (excavator) and dig monster footage. I can run ISO and backhoe control pattern fluently. I can also operate backhoe loader, front end loader, compactor, skidsteer (ISO,H,or OSI pattern), dozer (somewhat, not many hours in one), and dump or articulated truck. If anyone themselves is looking for or knows of anyone looking for a temp from November until April let me know. I am a liscensed sewer and water installer in my state and and possess a valid drivers license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Hermosa Beach, California

72 months ago

I would like to get into the heavy equipment union here in Los Angeles, and have no idea who to contact, and I have no idea where the union is located? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kacey in Bismarck, North Dakota

72 months ago

I would search on the net for the local union where you are located. Try typing in "international operators local" on google and do some hunting. The local numbers vary by region and state. If you have some experience, but have no contractor to sign you up, you may have to go through the apprenticeship program for a bit. If you have no luck, get a job with a contractor that does underground or building projects and get as much experience as you can. I started in the ditch four years ago and got in a machine every chance I could. If your green, take your time and don't be reckless. Get a feel for the machines. I'm twenty five and I now am a union operator. I just got signed up by contractor this summer after he gave me a shot and saw I had potential. I ws put in brand new Komatsu PLC300 with maybe 20 hours of track hoe time. Thats an eighty thousand pound excavator. I learned from the ground up and had plenty of backhoe time. Learn from the ground up and watch other operators to pick up on techniques you can apply with your own style. Hard work pays off. Bust ass and the boss will give you a shot. If you whine, hate on the other operators, or slack it will have a negative effect to your long term goal. It took me three years to get in my union so don';t lose hope and good luck!

72 months ago

The local you are looking for is International Union of Operating
Engineers Local 12. Very good local,but not easy to get into.It will cost yoou a few bucks. Good luck

Bob Sarlin in Modesto, California

71 months ago

I'm looking to get into a Union for Heavy Machinery Operation, I currently reside in the Bay Area. Anyone that can share some info on where to go/what to do is greatly appreciated!

ronny in Mesa, Arizona

71 months ago

been running heavy equipment 19 years and tired of the ups and downs always looking for work just a suggestion to the rookies be financialy prepared to be out of work for sometimes weeks ata time im going to welding school to hell with it

me in Barry, Illinois

71 months ago

would like to buy a book can some one hook me up im on a permit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dezirae in Auburn, Washington

70 months ago

Im a a senior and for the last 4 year in high school i have been enrolled in a construction apprenticeship preparation program. I want to get into an apprenticeship for heavy equipment but dont exactly know where to start.? any advice would help..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Contact your local International Operating Engineers Union. Thats what I did. To be honest, your gonna have to labor before you get in the chair. It's a good way to get feild experience and see how everything works. Hope that helps.

rick in Camarillo, California

70 months ago

u wont have to labor at all if your an apperntice you will be running stuff like loaders and things to get your feet wet but ive never heard of a operating engineer laboring that would be the laborers union now u might have to grade check which is labor intensive and alot of walking but u will be learning how to interpret gradestakes,or u may help the mechanics and oilers if u choose to get some experience in that area but that would be your choice operating engineers dont labor,swing hammers,wire houses,we run machines dont let anyone tell u different

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Well Rick, if she's lucky enough to get an apprenticeship thats different. Which if she doesnt she's gotta get experience somehow. The best operators start from the ground up as 99% of US union operators on the pipelines will say. I sure as hell wouldn't want a green hand swinging 60" rcp storm sewer around me. The operators we have that did't start in the ditch don't have what it takes to dig on the main line. Too slow and don't know what the laborers and pipelayers need you to do. They backfill. But thats in my line of work. You must have a pink seat cover and have an ego bigger than your bucket if you think you can just jump on in the chair and not get dirty. Get real cream puff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

rick in Newbury Park, California

70 months ago

well sweetcheeks in my line of work haulin dirt and building pads and such there is no labor except the grade checkers and pounding wood in the ground which i have done also and as for the ego i think you have the ego problem or you wouldnt have responded,you sound like one of those guys that say "i been doing this for 30 years" but you probly been doing it wrong for 30 years must be a slow learner the only way to learn is to jump in the chair moron anyways the way to get in the apprentice program is to hit up your local and ask the when the entrance exam is sign up for it and depending how well you do on the test usually determins how fast youall go out and OPERATE not dig ditches

70 months ago

actually i started washing and greasing stuff for 2 years befor i was allowed to run anything parking equipment in the yard,loading dozers on trailers and stuff getting to know every single peice in the yard before i could operate it in the field then worked my way up it took awhile but i put up with the sh^$# jobs cause thats what i wanted to do im sure everyone has there story how they got started but the loacal 12 traing program is a good one after i spent 7 years in the seabees i went into the union on apprentice running 657 push pull after you run these babies over a mountain straight up and down 400 ft cut your seat wont be pink it will be brown but anyways they will train you i think its like a couple saturdays a month while your waiting for your number to come up on the list good luck

70 months ago

IUOE Local #3 which covers California and several other states has 40,000 operators out of work. These are real numbers people. I think the odds of getting in right now are worse than winning the lottery. I don't want to discourage anyone, but until Obama takes office and straightens out this ffuucckkkiiin mess "Bush The Wannabe President Definite Oil BBBIIITTCCHH" made, hang tight. It will pick up and Obama and the Democratic Party support the Unions! This frickin deregulated Wall Street is to blame big time also just as much as our ''do what the hell we want and screw the middle class while we're gettin the rich richer government'' has been doing. The only thing they did for the construction industry in the last 8 years is made it possible for companies get richer to buy a bunch of machines that there is no work for. But it's equity. BBUUULLLSSSHHHIIIT! Now they're sitting and that means there are operators out of work! We want steady jobs, not 6 years of "busy got more work than we know what to do with, to tough as hell times". Anyone disagree, BRING IT ON!

70 months ago

halahuaya brutha screw working "sometimes" i like a steady check,i love it when the retard repubs argue that clinton deregulated everything but why was there a 500,count the zeros now 000,000 surplus when he left office and gas was 99 cents a gallon,3 months after bushtard took office gas went through the roof and continued until a month before he leaves..... some f&%^$ng coincidence basically the good ol boys club tried to pull a fast one on the american people but hopefully all these freemason neocon nazis all lose there seat pissed me off so bad im going to welding school in the slow times might as well get a secondary trade aint no dirt moving anyways only infastrucure jobs ......another coincidence i guess huh bye bye rupblican retards thats what happens when u get greedy u lose your seat in congress and the senate

70 months ago

Rick,
Before you start celebrating,Take some time and go enroll yourself in an Economics 101 class up at Moorepark J.C or at CLU.Learn about
supply and demand.Also take the time to find out who passed the laws that "forced" banks to make loans to people who could not afford those loans in the first place.I am no big fan of George W
Bush,But I'm am even less of a fan of a guy who says he is going to
"bankrupt the coal industry" putting even more of our fellow operators out of work.Also ,If you don't drill for oil or gas there
will be no pipeline work.There is an old saying "Be careful what you ask for ,You just might get it".

70 months ago

Dirt Slinger in Bismarck, North Dakota said: IUOE Local #3 which covers California and several other states has 40,000 operators out of work. These are real numbers people. I think the odds of getting in right now are worse than winning the lottery. I don't want to discourage anyone, but until Obama takes office and straightens out this ffuucckkkiiin mess "Bush The Wannabe President Definite Oil BBBIIITTCCHH" made, hang tight. It will pick up and Obama and the Democratic Party support the Unions! This frickin deregulated Wall Street is to blame big time also just as much as our ''do what the hell we want and screw the middle class while we're gettin the rich richer government'' has been doing. The only thing they did for the construction industry in the last 8 years is made it possible for companies get richer to buy a bunch of machines that there is no work for. But it's equity. BBUUULLLSSSHHHIIIT! Now they're sitting and that means there are operators out of work! We want steady jobs, not 6 years of "busy got more work than we know what to do with, to tough as hell times". Anyone disagree, BRING IT ON!

Like I told Rick,
Be careful what you ask for. Obama has said "If you open up a coal
power plant we will bankrupt you" This will put an end to the coal
industry.He has also said that he is going to reinstate the drilling bans .This means no new pipelines.He does like nuclear power.This means no construction of nuclear power plants. Almost
All these jobs involve unions of every trade,whose members will still not be working.Obama was heavily backed by extreme enviromental groups and people who support these groups.They flipped the bill for him to become president and he is going to answer to them not us.Think about what we do for a living. We get on BIG,FOSSIL FUEL GUZZELING,machines and tear up the earth! We do lots of things Obama and his friends DON'T LIKE!Think about it.

70 months ago

Karl the heavy equipment guy in Winchester, California said: Like I told Rick,
Be careful what you ask for. Obama has said "If you open up a coal
power plant we will bankrupt you" This will put an end to the coal
industry.He has also said that he is going to reinstate the drilling bans .This means no new pipelines.He does like nuclear power.This means no construction of nuclear power plants. Almost
All these jobs involve unions of every trade,whose members will still not be working.Obama was heavily backed by extreme enviromental groups and people who support these groups.They flipped the bill for him to become president and he is going to answer to them not us.Think about what we do for a living. We get on BIG,FOSSIL FUEL GUZZELING,machines and tear up the earth! We do lots of things Obama and his friends DON'T LIKE!Think about it.

That is scary if he does not allow the drilling and mining expansion to continue. Correct me if I'm wrong but Obama has a plan to build up the infrastructure. Can you tell me what types of projects this would mean. I beleive it is similiar to what they did during the depression like developing the transit system, dam building, and so on. Anyone got details?

70 months ago

Dirt Slinger,
The type of infrastructure projects that went on in the 30's were
massive to say the least.However,these days it would take almost an act of God to get anything close to what they did back then going.Lets say Obama wanted to build another Hoover Dam (this was
one of the many projects they did back then)With all the environmental impact reports and other red tape,it would take years
just for the permits to clear.Plus if he gets his tax increases that he wants,The contractors doing these jobs will up the price of the bids so they can make their normal profit margines.You and I
will pay for that.His buddies in congress will see to that.

70 months ago

Make that two pissed off Americans,
I couldn't have said it any better myself.Whats leads me to believe
that this isn't going to turn around for a while is what EED suggested for me to do. They want me a 6'1" 290lb Copenhagen dipping ,non-politically correct,heavy equipment operating for 30yrs,deer hunting,bass fishing,flag waving,former Navy redneck to go back to college and become a massage therapist. WHAT THE F&*K!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

No shiiittt, what a switch that would be! Well I sure hope it does gain some momentum this spring. I dropped out of college three years ago for process plant technology because of my love for big iron and throwing dirt around. I was working full time laying pipe and running equipment when I got the chance, then doing online and night classes. Not feeling like the smartest move right now. We were fortuanate enough up here in ND to stay busy this year while it was slow elsewhere. Now it finally caught up to us. Oil drilling is hot though if anyone is looking for something like that. I'm gonna hit the rigs myself after the first of the year if nothing comes up.

rick in Camarillo, California

70 months ago

imagine this...a nafta superhighway from leredo tx to canada 12 lanes on each side chinese goods brought in through mexico bypaassing all long shoremans union then trucked in using mexican truckers bypassing all teamsters,the autoworkers union will be a memory if the big 3 go down until finally the sovereinty of this nation is no more and we have to form a north american union simmilar to thr european union with canada and mexicowouldnt that be pleasent dont think it could happen well think again mr bush and dick cheney have been very busy the last eight years playing the great chessboard yessir just look up bilderberg group or the security and prosperity partnership which is the blueprint for the nau lookup trilateral comission or cfr or canamex highway use your search engine the elitest are making there move thats what you seeing so theres really noone in politics that doesnt owe someone a favor they all lie we all know this but we basically handed over this country cheap hell we didnt even put up a fight there laughing at us right now good luck to all

70 months ago

Rick,
I have heard all this before. It's not just the republicans that are crooks,THEY'RE ALL CROOKS! There are very few up there in Washington that are working for you and me.I don't know about Bush,
but I have met and talked with Dick Cheney and I can assurer you the last thing he wants is to see this country on the same level as
Mexico or have a useless healthcare system like Canada.I have been
a member of a union and I have no problem with them until they start asking for too much.These big shots in the UAW are going to
end up hurting there own people if they don't give a little.My Dad
was a 35yr union member and he use to tell me "If you give little
you will get little,If you give alot you will get alot"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

CHENEY IS THE BIGGEST CROOK OF THEM ALL WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Heavenly Father . . .

We come before you today to ask your forgiveness and to seek your direction and guidance.

We know Your Word says, 'Woe to those who call evil -- good' but that is exactly what we have done.

We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and reversed our values.

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it Pluralism.

We have worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism.

We have endorsed perversion and called it alternative lifestyle.

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery.

We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare.

We have killed our unborn and called it choice.

We have shot abortionists and called it justifiable.

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self esteem.

We have abused power and called it politics.

We have coveted our neighbor's possessions and called it ambition.

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of speech and expression.

We have ridiculed the time-honored values of our Forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, Oh, God, And know our hearts today;

Cleanse us from every sin and set us free.

Guide and bless these men and women who have been sent to direct us to the center of Your will, to open ask it in the name of Your Son, the living Savior, Jesus Christ.

Amen!"

70 months ago

Rick '
all those things you mentioned are things liberals like Nancy Pelosi,Bill Ayers,Henry Waxman among many others support.You know,
The people who hate Cheney.You know ,The people who backed Obama.
Rick,Stop smoking pot! Stop listening to the news! Use the brain
God gave you and find out what's going on for yourself.Find out how Al Gore is flying around in a corporate jet(similar to the one
the GM execs flew to Wahington a few days ago) and is making MILLIONS off this global warming scam. All the while making millions off the interests in the COAL MINES that he owns,not to mention the nickel mine that he has on his own property.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.