Looking for heavy equipment operator job in Texas

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

texback in Bridgeport, Texas

56 months ago

I have many years experience operating dozers, backhoes, trackhoes, etc doing rough to finish grade work. Owned my own heavy contracting business until I got divorced. Have CDL-A and haul experience. Willing to relocate in Texas. Any ideas out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pigiron in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

Good luck! If you had your own company you were probably used to making a good living. That's not what you're going to find now here in Texas working for the other construction companies. The going rate for "finish" grade work MAY reach $17.00 an hour, usually they want to insult you with $11.00 to $14.00. NO benefits, NO insurance, and NO "guarantee" for rain-out hours. I don't know about anyone else but my bills still come due, rain or shine. They won't usually even call you if you fill out the application with your "last wages earned" if it was $18.00 an hour or more. And oh yeah, you'll have the regular competition we have seen on the grow over the past few years, the ILLEGALS. Maybe you might want to consider somewhere north or west. The wages are better and those states attempt to enforce the illegal hiring practices so ignored in Texas. I'm just guessing, you being so close to the DFW area, have you noticed all the problems TXDOT is experiencing with all the embankment slopes collapsing? Could it be for the lack of compacting the dirt?! Could that be due to the cheapness of the contractors? That would be my guess. The quality of the construction work here has really tanked. Greed is alive and well everywhere there is a buck to be made. The illegals got my job over a year ago here in the Dallas area and NO i'm not prejudice, just want to make a decent living. My last name is Mendoza.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I have seen on the news the problems TXDOT has with the embankments. I am sure you are right to a certain extent about compaction issues. I have seen many shoddy practices here in north Texas both in private and government sectors. Seems that anyone able to pull a lever calls themselves "operators" and to me this is what enables the companies here to get away with paying $11-$14 an hour for these so called "operators". I always laugh when I hear someone say they can "run" a piece of equipment. Guess that's why I am having trouble finding a decent paying operator job......too many folks out there that can "run" equipment. Good luck in your job search pigiron.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Plano, Texas

55 months ago

texback in Bridgeport, Texas said: I have many years experience operating dozers, backhoes, trackhoes, etc doing rough to finish grade work. Owned my own heavy contracting business until I got divorced. Have CDL-A and haul experience. Willing to relocate in Texas. Any ideas out there?

I need somoene for a company I recruit for in the Mid Cities area. He's looking for someone with large excavator w/thumb experience. Also track loader experience. Please let me know ASAP if you're interested.

Thank you,
Rob

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

How can I contact you Rob?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.