looking to get certified to be a Heavy Eguipment operator

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Operator bill in west linn, Oregon

70 months ago

Check with your local "operating engineer's local union hall.

they have apprenticeship programs for people exactly like you. typically, they pay you at a 60% rate (about 16-18 dollars an hour plus benefits)for a year, then increases to 100% (27-30 an hour) journey level pay within a few years.. I am not sure what your regions pay scale is,,, but that is how it is in the northwest..or,wa.

and pa is a "strong" union state......

a lot of people don't like paying dues, or going from job to job.... the dues are low considering the benefits and protection you get for it. and sometimes you will find an employer who will keep you on... also, when you are laid off, the unemployment office does not mess with you....you get your money no matter what,, you don't have to look for work or prove you have.

they have training that is second to none, you don't have to pay them to learn....

here is a link to the unions in your state,,, give them a call, can't hurt......if you want in, it is the best way to go....

those "off the wall, construction training companies" are a ripoff....not many companies in the real world will recognize a "certificate" from them......why, because you cannot get experience from these courses,,, it's one thing to learn how to "run" the equipment... But quite another to "effectively OPERATE"....

it is a bad time right now for construction, i am out of work right now, only worked 4 months last year, and this year is not looking much better,,, but keep checking back with them... they only accept a certain number of applicants per year..........

www.unions.org/home/umap38-IUOE.htm

good luck,,,Operator Bill

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in York, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

thank-you I have already lokked into them and that is probably where i will be going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Autumn555 in Jersey City, New Jersey

69 months ago

Jasen DeRycke in Williamsport, Pennsylvania said: I go to Penn State, for heavy equipment they have both a bachelors and associates degree programs. They offer a hell of alot more then ATS and the other programs that last less then a quarter of a year. When were done here, we dont have to look hard for a job either, because company's come to look for us, with are industry accredation. Also people like myself took heavy equipment operation and preventitve maintence in high school, in NY state as part of a vocational tech program that's available to juniors and seniors. That puts me @ 4 years of schooling not 3 months.

Hey Jasen, you sound a little defensive....can't imagine why you put in some much work and time in your trade, you should be proud of your accomplishments; I'm now apart of a national registry (ANR)and National center for construction education and research N.C.C.E.R. and on my way overseas. I know I am. I hope they come to look for you when you need them to. -Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in New Brunswick, New Jersey

48 months ago

I am also interested in starting a new career as a heavy equipment operator in New Jersey. How do you start? I looked into a school in Georgia, but can't believe there not something nearer here in NJ? Do I have belong to a Union in order to get training/certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nhfire in Kingston, New Hampshire

48 months ago

well i have went to ATS.. it is a great class but donot offer a job placement. They give you a site of employers that "have hired" operators.. but there is no garantee.. right now i have been out of this class for about a year and i am still looking/trying to get a job in this field.. If employers woud look at certification over experience we would be golden then.. but they dont.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daymond bell in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

looking for certificion for heavy operator

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mike in York, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

looking to get training as a heavy equipment operator. Are there any schools close to York Pa.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wendyvillanueva in Baltimore, Maryland

29 months ago

i am looking for a heavy machinery operation school here in maryland but all i can find is schools for commercial truck driving, please help where should i look?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

military@operator-academy.com in Exeter, New Hampshire

28 months ago

I work for Heavy Construction Academy. We are VA Approved Vocational Program that offers Heavy Equipment Operator Certification located in southern NH. We have a 6 week certification program. More information is available at www.operator-academy.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

mimidiaz3317@gmail.com in Miami, Florida

3 months ago

I would like to get certified in heavy equipment and my ,CDL

license in Miami FL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mimidiaz3317@gmail.com in Miami, Florida

3 months ago

I would like to get certified in heavy equipment and my ,CDL

license in Miami FL

Plz send me info to 1042 west 50 pl Hialeah Florida 33012

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

4-Aker in Byesville, Ohio

1 month ago

Heather in York, Pennsylvania said: thank-you I have already lokked into them and that is probably where i will be going.

Hello, I am a woman attending Performance Training Solutions in Reynoldsburg, OH....just East of Columbus, to become a Heavy Equipment Operator. This training facility came highly recommended because this is all they do! Each section is 3 weeks & includes Heavy Equipment Operator 1, 2 & 3, Crain Operator & CDL. You can take 1 or all! The instructors, staff & owner are awesome!! We have students from all States surrounding Ohio because it's hard to find training that only specializes in this industry & the instructors all have many many years of actual doing the job! They also have many financing options & housing too!
Check it out!

www.ptsworks.com
www.facebook.com/PTSWorks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

4-Aker in Byesville, Ohio

1 month ago

4-Aker in Byesville, Ohio said: Hello, I am a woman attending Performance Training Solutions in Reynoldsburg, OH....just East of Columbus, to become a Heavy Equipment Operator. This training facility came highly recommended because this is all they do! Each section is 3 weeks & includes Heavy Equipment Operator 1, 2 & 3, Crain Operator & CDL. You can take 1 or all! The instructors, staff & owner are awesome!! We have students from all States surrounding Ohio because it's hard to find training that only specializes in this industry & the instructors all have many many years of actual doing the job! They also have many financing options & housing too!
Check it out!

www.ptsworks.com
www.facebook.com/PTSWorks

Oh, and I forgot the most important......they keep the class sizes very small in order to get a ton of seat time on ACTUAL equipment not simulators! And I checked out other places that were 12 - 24 months.....but why the heck did I want to take English, Math, Science etc to be run heavy equipment???!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.