Tips for housekeeping supervisor interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming housekeeping supervisor interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

elka in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

Make sure to anticipate uncommon question,such as :
Tell us what was your reaction with dissapointed guest
what makes you choose this field
what was your response when the guest complained that his room never been cleaned for 2 days
what would you do when your associate didn't performed their job
what is your reaction when your manager did wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (999) / No (146) Reply - Report abuse

olayinka in London, United Kingdom

75 months ago

please i need some tips on the job house keeping,what the job is all about and what could possibly be the questions when i go for the interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (373) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

Nadine

75 months ago

olayinka in London, United Kingdom said: please i need some tips on the job house keeping,what the job is all about and what could possibly be the questions when i go for the interview

How would you handle a guest that is screaming at you and will not let you speak?

There are a few room that are on que (needed by the front desk) you cannot locate the room attendant that is assigned this section. You have 30 minutes to turn this room before all hell breaks. What do you do? How do you handle the room attendant that you cannot find.

You are asked to stay an hour and a half later because of short staffing, you need to pick you child up from day care-what do you do??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (339) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

srikanth in Bangalore, India

75 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming housekeeping supervisor interview?

what are the chemicals used in housekeeping;what types of machines used in housekeeping

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (365) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

Nadine

75 months ago

srikanth in Bangalore, India said: what are the chemicals used in housekeeping;what types of machines used in housekeeping

Hi, from my experience (Housekeeping Manager) it is not necessary to know the types of machines. There are machines used for buffing and waxing floors but there should be an experienced floor person to do this. It is helpful that you become familiar with the water extraction machine- for flooding. Become familiar with the parts and repairs.

Chemicals are sanitizers, furniture polish, a chemical for the bathroom and glass ware. You can state that for saftey reasons you are aware that the proper container for chemicals is used as well as the proper labels.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

c.c. in Phoenix, Arizona

75 months ago

Know what an MSDS is.
Expect questions on how to handle emergencies.
Depending upon your geographic location, they may want someone who is bilingual.
For hotels know that a room should be cleaned in 18-22 minutes.
Show that you can be organized and plan for deep cleaning, like carpets, or floors in accordance with work schedules for the rest of the business.
Show that you treat your direct reports with respect, but have high expectations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

what are the types of floors or marbles you know?

what are the measurements of linen you know?

what types of spotters you use for removing stains on carpets?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (296) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

while we are entering a room, if we noticed that guest was died how will you react for that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (245) / No (47) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

what's the maximum time you take for cleaning a occupied room and hw much for departure room?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (172) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Nadine

74 months ago

Hi, a simple cleaning, refreshing the bathroom and making the bed and eliminating trash - should take approximately 20-25 minutes, occupied room. A check out if it is extremely dirty may take a minimum of 35 minutes to an hour or more if dirty. Allocate more time if it is a suite

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Nadine

74 months ago

This is an unusual question. When you enter the room and if the guest is motionless if may be rather difficult to ascertain if he/she is dead. If I entered a room and a guest was in the room and did not answer, upon entering I would apoligize and leave. This has happened to me on numerous occasions. On the other hand if this is repeated on the second or third day, leave the room untouched and immediately notify Security and then your immediate supervisor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Nadine

74 months ago

Marble floors I am not familiar with. There was a floor person for that who was very experienced.

Linen is measured in pars-various hotels establish the count that is used in there pars. In the previous hotel a par was 500 pieces and a lever of 7 pars were in circulation for certain items. Wash cloths are always more.

Each chemical company has there brand of spotters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nadine in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

Hi, first good luck!! I have more than 17 years in the hotel industry as a department manager in several areas and my most recent position was in Housekeeping.

Go to your immediate report and find out what you can and cannot do in terms of employee discipline. You must be able to be firm and fair and most of all be sure that you are well versed in each task that these people perform. There is nothing that will strip away respect as a supervisor/manager giving someone a directive that they cannot fulfill.

Find out what you can do. Create or revise policies and procedures. Nothing long and drawn out - but simple and to the point. Have a meeting if not one on one then in small groups. Explain your expectations allowing them to buy into doing what they should do for the betterment of the department and for guest loyalty. Explain- if guests stop booking rooms in this hotel you nor I will have our jobs. Observe first. Do not make sudden immediate changes. Be ready to stand in the face of anyone who is not with the program. Written documentation up to and including termination.

Again good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gemma howard in Exeter, United Kingdom

73 months ago

Hi i have a interview tomorrow for a hosekeeping supervisour. im only 21 how do i go into the interview without them thinking im to young? what things can i say that shows im up for the job role?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (305) / No (59) Reply - Report abuse

annamalai in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

67 months ago

thank u so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

johnjoy in Nasik, India

66 months ago

Nadine said: This is an unusual question. When you enter the room and if the guest is motionless if may be rather difficult to ascertain if he/she is dead. If I entered a room and a guest was in the room and did not answer, upon entering I would apoligize and leave. This has happened to me on numerous occasions. On the other hand if this is repeated on the second or third day, leave the room untouched and immediately notify Security and then your immediate supervisor.

Thank you Nathaline for sharing the light.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

andrea in Melbourne, Australia

54 months ago

srikanth in Bangalore, India said: what are the chemicals used in housekeeping;what types of machines used in housekeeping

every place/ hotel has it own chemicals and machine that despencese them out. you will be trained with all the chemical you use at work it is part of their oh&s occupational health and safety procedures to do so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

andrea in Melbourne, Australia

54 months ago

srikanth in Bangalore, India said: what's the maximum time you take for cleaning a occupied room and hw much for departure room?

To clean a occupid room sould only be about 10minutes and a full clean is 30min max.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

SRIKANTH in Mumbai, India

54 months ago

brndnan in Gold Coast, Australia said: y one can tel me what will be the salary as a sup in housekeeping in UAE ?

DEPENDS ON YOUR CAPABILITY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

SRIKANTH in Mumbai, India

54 months ago

olayinka in London, United Kingdom said: please i need some tips on the job house keeping,what the job is all about and what could possibly be the questions when i go for the interview

POSSIBLE QUESTIONS :ROOM CLEANING AND ENTERING PROCEDURES,TIME FOR CLEANING,LINEN MEASUREMENTS,TYPES OF ROOMS WITH DIMENSIONS,TYPES OF MACHINES,CHEMICALS USED,CASE STUDIES ETC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

shahidullah in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

49 months ago

Give some Questions and Anwser For Housekeeping Supervisor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Southern Region

48 months ago

andrea in Melbourne, Australia said: To clean a occupid room sould only be about 10minutes and a full clean is 30min max.

That is not always true. Reason being because some hotels have standard rooms at 580 square feet. It is virtually impossible to clean the room as a checkout in 30 minutes with the size of that room, and in most cases if you look at a housekeepers board they only have 5-7 rooms on their board. The reason why is because all checkouts and services are evaluated at the same credits.

Hopefully this helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

housekeeping in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

c.c. in Phoenix, Arizona said: Know what an MSDS is.
Expect questions on how to handle emergencies.
Depending upon your geographic location, they may want someone who is bilingual.
For hotels know that a room should be cleaned in 18-22 minutes.
Show that you can be organized and plan for deep cleaning, like carpets, or floors in accordance with work schedules for the rest of the business.
Show that you treat your direct reports with respect, but have high expectations.

With all do respect that you are a housekeeping manager a room should be cleaned in 30 minutes not 18-22 minutes as u said. It may take you to clean a stayover room in 20 minutes but not a check out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

redkat in Iceland

37 months ago

Hi. this is Mr.Edmon i just want to ask for a tips how to become a good housekeeping supervisor because it is my first time position i don't have any experience about it. Can you please give me some insight or inputs how to do the job, i haved heard that there is papers works,reports,meetings and a lot of things to do, it is true? Thanks. I will wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

maria

37 months ago

srikanth in Bangalore, India said: what are the types of floors or marbles you know?

what are the measurements of linen you know?

what types of spotters you use for removing stains on carpets?

some all purpose cleaner will get stains out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

maria

37 months ago

amu_malhi in London, United Kingdom said: I gt a call for a housekeeping supervisor,actuall i hav been interviewd there for housekeeping porter bt they wana try me as a supervisor,i had no experience about it,,tell me vt i hav to do

try something new take charge

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

maria

37 months ago

I am a supervisor and still learning i didnt like it at first but now i like it and want to learn mor about it were i dont know but i want to know more about being a great supervisor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

apple ringochang in Pasay City, Philippines

35 months ago

maria said: some all purpose cleaner will get stains out

use a carpet stain remover there a dilution for that...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sstiehr@yahoo.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

34 months ago

lina in Chicago, Illinois said: i am a supervisor at a hotel i just got the job i have been a supervisor for some years but were i am at now the team is so mess up they say what they are not going to do , over load there carts.talk on wirelee phone all day milk the clock wite maeybe less than 11 room. and thier is more . it is a supervisor there before me and she has know balls they treat her like she is no body it is a shame i dont know how she lastes this long. know it is my turn i know what too do but i need i little help on straighting out this mess and i wont to do this in 5 days help

the first thing you should do is to improve you written and verbal skills!!! Also, don't conplain about co-workers, set an example of professionalism towards your positions.

I have been in housekeeping management for over 20 years. Pitch in and work with the housekeepers cleaning their sections. Get to know them and their bad habits, but do not let them realize that you are observing them.

Then, after a couple of weeks, start the firing process and clean house!

Good Luck!

Professional Hskp. Manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

arjun in Calcutta, India

34 months ago

how cn ido the cleaning reception area within a15 mint full like including dusting brooming & weight moppimg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shrinivas in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

33 months ago

MSDS is.material sefty data system

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jagannath dalui in Madras, India

32 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming housekeeping supervisor interview?

how to remove chinkum in the carpet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

janeriel in Davao, Philippines

31 months ago

hi im jane studnt of legacy college..i need help..we have group projct, we need 2 interview atleast 1 house keeping supervisor in the hotel, my problm is, what is the frst thng we do??to make sure na they us time to interview..him/her?? final exam poh nmin..tnx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dfapublish@aol.com in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

31 months ago

I hope it is okay to post a supervisor training program that I found that helps people learn supervision skills. You can find it at supervisortools.com/supervisor-training.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

swadesh in Lucknow, India

29 months ago

srikanth in Bangalore, India said: while we are entering a room, if we noticed that guest was died how will you react for that?
frist of all i am inform to my siniors for take quek action on this situation . they contect or inform to the gernel manager for this situatin and they infirm to tha local police statin .
do not tuch any thig in the room ther is happen .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nadine in Miami, Florida

29 months ago

When you first enter room make sure no one else comes in and secure the area. Write the time of entry down for a future point of reference. Contact the Director of Hotel Security immediately and the Director of Housekeeping. Stand outside of the door until they arrive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Prince Rupert, British Columbia

27 months ago

andrea in Melbourne, Australia said: To clean a occupid room sould only be about 10minutes and a full clean is 30min max.

every hotel and motel is different. Have to be realistic. Would u rather have a sloppy job done if you expect to get a occupied room done in 10 minutes and a check out in half a hour? Some motels have kitchenettes..and at times u have to clean the kitchen.. really well. Make sure the dishes are not messy. have to clean the oven and fridge. I think that managers and supervisors should be realistic. housekeepers shouldn't have to rush..rush rush..to do a supposidly good job. 15 minutes for stays and 40 minutes for check outs.

not to mention too...you have to remove dirty linen from the room and bring them down the laundry room. lau

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

zeth.chauhan in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

21 months ago

Nadine in Miami, Florida said: When you first enter room make sure no one else comes in and secure the area. Write the time of entry down for a future point of reference. Contact the Director of Hotel Security immediately and the Director of Housekeeping . Stand outside of the door until they arrive.

material safety Data sheet,

it is ok if the room is single pax, but if the room is related with family and it's really messy then it will take mare the 40 minutes to do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

philecia in Syracuse, New York

18 months ago

i have been doing housekeeping for 6+yrs i have an interview coming up for housing keepng supervisor any suggestion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

ravindra in Bangalore, India

17 months ago

nothing u build ur self confidenes, go ahead face interview and when u go for intervirw u brush up ur knowledge thats it......!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

3 months ago

shrinivas in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates said: MSDS is.material sefty data system

MSDS stands for Material Safety Data Sheet.
Not system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.