Phr/Sphr Certification

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1899)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Wes in Hendersonville, Tennessee

66 months ago

I took the PHR on June 30th and according to the preliminary results... I passed. However, like a few posters before me, I'm worried that the official results will be different and I will have actually failed. Has anyone heard of this nightmare scenario? Overall I felt pretty good before I clicked the "Are you SURE you're finished" button. Anyone else like how they threw a survey in at the end before giving you your preliminary results??

Anyways, I studied using the Brogardus book and the SHRM learning system flash cards. I have a M.A. in Industrial-Organizational psychology and I feel like that really prepared me for the Human Resource Development and Workforce Planning sections. My exposure to Risk Management was very limited but Brogardus gave me everything I needed. Same can be said for the other sections. Like others have indicated her review questions at the end of each chapter were eerily similar to the actual test questions. I also bought the assessment exams from the HRCI website and took those. They were very similar as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KSilv818 in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

66 months ago

Wes, I passed the PHR on 6/24 and received my certificate and my official results today. From what I understand, if you receive a preliminary pass at the testing center, then there is a 99% chance that you will receive the same by mail. Since it's computerized, it's pretty accurate. I understand your concern though...I promised myself that I wouldn't order new business cards with the PHR until I saw the certificate..lol:)

Dave in Waldorf, Maryland

66 months ago

I took and passed the exam on the 26th and received my official score today.
Though I have 7 years generalist experience, I have very little recruiting and zero labor relations experience, yet in those areas, I received my highest scores - probably since I studied those areas the most due to my limited prior knowledge.
I utilized, only, the HRCI Certification Booklet and self studied using the DOL, NRLB, EEOC, etc. websites including Wiki. I took the test in the HRCI booklet 4 times and I am a bit embarrassed to say, I did not ace the test until the 4th try. I had almost 3 months to prepare.
While I studied all of the functional areas, I did not go in to as much depth in each functional area as I should have. When I began taking the test, the areas in which I lacked in-depth study were readily apparent. This is where my experience and having taken the practice test 4 times kicked in. When presented with a scenario for which I was not familiar, I recalled various past work experiences (some from which I was not even working in HR) to come to the best possible answer. The testing skills that helped me the most were marking and skipping questions I was not sure of, thus not discouraging myself, and utilizing the strikeout feature. Because I had made it to question 225 1 and 1/2 hours into the exam, I truly relaxed, and went back to the questions I marked and skipped. Some of my marked questions were asked in different ways in questions I had actually answered later during my first pass of the questions thus making the second pass of the questions easier.
I took the time to make a 3rd pass of the questions. I would advise, if you have shaky self-study skills, take a prep class for this exam AND practice taking the exams!
I cannot remember which poster here wrote the suggestion of just marking the questions you were not familiar with and moving on but I read that just the day before taking my exam and it helped me tremendously

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Upland, California

66 months ago

Wes in Hendersonville, Tennessee said: I took the PHR on June 30th and according to the preliminary results... I passed. However, like a few posters before me, I'm worried that the official results will be different and I will have actually failed.]

Hey Wes, it's very unlikely that your results will change. Takes something like suspicion of fraud, a razor thin result, and similar. Relax and wait for the cool little lapel pin. Congratulations!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aditi in Issaquah, Washington

66 months ago

Hi,
I am appearing for the PHR this coming Dec 2009 window. I was wondering which study material to use. Also,is anyone who has given the test recently willing to sell their material. Please let me know. You can email me at gupta.aditi81@gmail.com

chikku in Palatine, Illinois

66 months ago

Recruiter in Hightstown, New Jersey said: I need some details about the PHR/SPHR certification. Has sombody cleared the exam just through reading some certification books available in the market? Is it necessary to buy the whole package from the SHRM website?

i cleared the exam and i think shrm study material is very useful....

chitra in Palatine, Illinois

66 months ago

i took the PHR exam 1/26/09.I cleared it...waiting for my official certificate...i used the HRCI study material....

Wes in Hendersonville, Tennessee

66 months ago

chitra in Palatine, Illinois said: i took the PHR exam 1/26/09.I cleared it...waiting for my official certificate...i used the HRCI study material....

chitra... have you recieved your officials scores yet? I took and passed mine on the 30th. Getting a little antsy cause I haven't recieved my scores (I know it says 2-3 weeks but others seem to get their scores quicker).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chitra in Roselle, Illinois

66 months ago

Wes in Hendersonville, Tennessee said: chitra... have you recieved your officials scores yet? I took and passed mine on the 30th. Getting a little antsy cause I haven't recieved my scores (I know it says 2-3 weeks but others seem to get their scores quicker).

yes, i recd my certificate,badge and scores ....exactly 2 weeks after the exam

Gary in Jersey City, New Jersey

66 months ago

oh is it!! I also didnt recieve the result card. Gave the exam on 27th June.its been more than 3 weeks now.

Anyone else also like this.. who is into similar situation or has faced this in past. pl suggest....

Alise in Toronto, Ontario

66 months ago

I'm still waiting for my results card and I had a preliminary pass on June 30th. I assumed it was because I live in Canada and there might have been a mail delay or something. Today is 3 weeks!!! I'm also getting antsy! :)

Wes in Dayton, Tennessee

66 months ago

For some reason I can't get my location to say Hendersonville. Anyways, I called HRCI today and asked when results were mailed out. The helpful lady said that if you took your test on the 30th then results were mailed out on July 3rd. I'd expect that if you took your test on or before the 30th your results are in the mail. Appearantly ALL results are mailed out from the Washington DC location. So... any day now.

66 months ago

Hi everyone, I just called the HRCI to find out about the results package and if you wrote on June 30th, they mailed out the results on July 17th! Be patient - they'll arrive shortly :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wes in Hixson, Tennessee

65 months ago

Alise, any luck with the results??

65 months ago

Nothing yet...still waiting!!! You???

Nee1111 in Englishtown, New Jersey

65 months ago

Actually the SHRM doesnot teahc to test. I failed it on June 30, 2009. I received a 440. The minimum to pass is 500 out of 800. I studies until I couldn't study anymore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gnautiyal in Edison, New Jersey

65 months ago

Planning on giving my SPHR certification exam in Dec 09. Just started reading the PHR/SPHR study giude by Anne Bog. Please suggest if there are more helpful books. Also, suggest on any online study material/link/online tests.

I am looking to create a study group. Please let me know if anyone is interested to join.

Looking to buy the 2007 SPHR study system, current version. Anyone selling please write to me at gunjan.nautiyal@gmail.com

HY in Franklin Park, New Jersey

65 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have just two years experience in HR thus for those of you that have taken the test, do you feel that your experience and knowledge in HR is what helped you with the test or what you did to prepare and study for the exam is what got you to pass the test? My concern is that my limited HR experience is going to hinder me from successfully passing the exam. Thank you for any advice you have!

Ben in Huntsville, Alabama

65 months ago

HY,
I had less experience than that when I took the exam. You can do it with the right study materials and the right frame of mind. :-)

upstarthr.com/hr-certification

Let me know if you ever need any help!

Ben

HY in Princeton, New Jersey

65 months ago

Thank you, Ben!

Kelly in Torrance, California

65 months ago

I have a degree in Psychology (2005) decided later to be Certified PHR. After 2 years of required experience, would I be qualified for the certification even if:

1. My degree is NOT RELATED related to Human Resources?
2. I got my degree 4 YEARS AGO?

UpstartHR.com in Madison, Alabama

65 months ago

Kelly in Torrance, California said: I have a degree in Psychology (2005) decided later to be Certified PHR. After 2 years of required experience, would I be qualified for the certification even if:

1. My degree is NOT RELATED related to Human Resources?
2. I got my degree 4 YEARS AGO?

1) Degree doesn't matter
2) Years don't matter

If you have 2 years of exempt HR experience, you are eligible.

The Brain in Navarre, Florida

64 months ago

Janice Bates in Las Vegas, Nevada said: $675.00. My employer paid for it.

The cost is only $375.00 plus $160.00 membership fee with SHRM. Why they charged your employer $675.00 is something I'd look into - especially these days!

Rickey1203

64 months ago

Rob in Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia said: I passed the SPHR exam on 1-28-09, after failing last year 1/30/08 so don't give up. I have 15yrs HR Mgmt. experience.

What it took to pass:
I highly recommend using the SHRM Learning System! Keep in mind the same language will be used on the exam.
I started studying in Oct. 2008 using the SHRM Learning System. On average it took 1.5 weeks to read one module. I did not study daily & took time out Thanksgiving/Xmas. I finished reading all the modules (took detailed notes) the first week in Jan. 2009. I used two-5 subject note books taking notes. After reading the modules, I assessed my knowledge by taking the SHRM Pretest. I scored 71%. I was disaapointed until I realized it had been several months since I read the other modules, so I actually retained some of the information.
I studied DAILY for 3 weeks straight prior to the exam and completed ALL of the SHRM Learning System tests; pretest, module review test, bonus one test, bonus two test, post test, and final review (1,000+ questions in all.) If I guest the answer correctly or got the answer wrong on the, I alway click the explanation and took notes.
I also used SPHR Exam Prep: Senior Professional in Human Resources (2nd Edition) by Larry Phillips as a REFENCE ONLY. it help b/c it allowed me to use one point of reference for quick look back versus use all 6 modules.
However, as I took the SHRM test, if I didn't score at least 80%, I went back to the SHRM modules to review.
Good Luck

Rob in Atlanta or anyone who has taken their exam or currently studying for upcoming exams, e-mail me when you get a moment, I have a question. My personal e-mail address is: Rickeywd@aol.com. I am currently studying for the Dec 2009 / Jan 2010 SPHR exam. I would like further tips and suggestions. I live in Upland, California; which is Southern California. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

artrial in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

Does anyone have or know where I can get the six modules only for the 2007 SHRM learning system or can recommend another similar study guide?

Rickey1203

64 months ago

artrial in Cleveland, Ohio said: Does anyone have or know where I can get the six modules only for the 2007 SHRM learning system or can recommend another similar study guide?

You might try amazon.com or ebay.com. There are those selling prior years SHRM Learning Systems. Yu even might try Craigslist.org.

Anita in Austin, Texas

64 months ago

HI
Congratualation !!! on clearing the PHR IT IS A RELIEF... I am planning to appear for PHR and wanted to download the certgear exam prep. The cost of getting a certgear CD is $58. I am curious to know, is it this expensive to get the CD ? How much did you pay for it?

KL in Flower Mound, Texas said: I just took the PHR exam, and I am relieved to say I passed! I haven't received my official results, so like the previous poster, I hope it is not a common occurence to receive a "fail" after you get a "pass" from the testing center.

I used the Anne Bogardus PHR/SPHR book and CD as my primary resource, and then 1 week before the exam downloaded the Certgear exam prep. I would agree that reading the Bogardus book cover to cover, and utilizing the chapter exams and the practice tests on the CD, in addition to the flash cards, is the primary reason I passed.( I also made sure I understood every term in the glossary!_The Certgear exam download is also very beneficial, as the PHR exam was worded in a similar manner.

The test is really about application of principals. If you just study the laws and regulations, without understanding the application of the knowledge, it will be a very hard test to pass.

I wish you all the best of luck...I finished the exam in 2 hours, but then took one hour to review. I am curious to receive the breakdown on my results.

Francine LaBarbara in Las Vegas, Nevada

64 months ago

Boban in Skopje, Macedonia said: Please Mrs.Weks when you read this coment write me beck to my email Thank you Boban D64100

Hi, I am taking the SPHR 12/09-01/10. I am studing at UNLV and according to my instructor - their are three modules (from the SHRM System) that make up most of the test. You need to be familiar with all of them, but three are the most percentage. The system is woderful - it has CDs and all kinds of reference materials and the modules as well. I have a complete 2009 unopened SHRM Learning System if you are interested. I would also be happy to make copie of the information I received from my instructor (in a a huge binder) Extremly helpful in breaking down and explaining certain concepts. My email is twinmommie10@aol.com In any case I would be happy to help with any questions you may have, The system also has a SPHR certification guide which is extremly helpful. Good Luck, Francine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

gary in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Hi,

I am to apprear for PHR June, 09. I have more than 4 yrs expreience in HR but not much in US. Would that be difficult???
My plan to prepare is to go thru the book by Anne Bodgarous,and PHR and SPHR Certification Guide ( by HRCI).
any suggestions....most welcome.
Also if anyone is selling used SHRM leraning system, all modules. Pl let me know!!!

Hi, Not sure if you sat for the test yet. I have a complete SHRM Learning System - unopened for the 2009 year. I do know you need to have the most up to date version for the tests as the questions come from the material in the book. My email is twinmommie10@aol.com, let me know if you are interested and good luc too you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

tolemap in Escondido, California said: Hi, Would you be willing to sell your module?

Hi, I have a 2009 unopened complete SHRM learning system if you are interested. My email is twinmommie10@aol.com,Good Luck to you!
Francine

64 months ago

chikku in Palatine, Illinois said: i cleared the exam and i think shrm study material is very useful....

Hi, I definately recomend the SHRM Learning System and you cannot memorize it, you need to understand it. It comes with interactive CDs
and a ton of resources. I have a complete unopened 2009 SHRM system for sale if you are considering taking it 12/09-1/10. If not, call SHRM and ask them if you will need a 2011 version. Hope this helps and good luck.
Francine

64 months ago

artrial in Cleveland, Ohio said: Does anyone have or know where I can get the six modules only for the 2007 SHRM learning system or can recommend another similar study guide?

I am not sure why you are looking for 2007, if you are planning on taking the test this window - you absolutely need the 2009 system - lots of changes. I have a complete unopened SHRM learning system for sale if you are interested my email is twinmommie10@aol.com, In any case if you are sitting for the current window, you absolutely need updated materials. Good Luck, Francine

Lenbarry in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

64 months ago

Pls send me a copy or a bundle.
Thanks

S in Boston, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Does anyone know of organizations in Boston or the greater Boston area where I can take a PHR exam prep course. Thank you.

63 months ago

S in Boston, Massachusetts said: Does anyone know of organizations in Boston or the greater Boston area where I can take a PHR exam prep course. Thank you.

I recommend that you check with a local SHRM chapter to see if they offer a formal prep course. It's perfectly fine to take it by yourself, though. It just depends on your own study habits.

63 months ago

Thank you. I left a message for NEHRA, which is the local chapter, so hopefully I will here back from them soon. I think I will be better with the class, although if I absolutely had to, I would go for it alone.

Does anyone know if I can get by with the 2009 study materials, if I plan on taking the PHR exam in 2010? Thank you.

63 months ago

S in Boston, Massachusetts said: Thank you. I left a message for NEHRA, which is the local chapter, so hopefully I will here back from them soon. I think I will be better with the class, although if I absolutely had to, I would go for it alone.

Does anyone know if I can get by with the 2009 study materials, if I plan on taking the PHR exam in 2010? Thank you.

Excellent. They should be helpful. Let me know if I can help in any way. I have a free guide that might help with your prep/planning process. upstarthr.com/upstarthr-free-resources

63 months ago

Ben in Huntsville, Alabama said: Excellent. They should be helpful. Let me know if I can help in any way. I have a free guide that might help with your prep/planning process. upstarthr.com/upstarthr-free-resources

Thank you very much!

Tina

63 months ago

SPHR 1, Claire 0 in Fremont, California said: hi guys! I took the SPHR exam today and failed! =( I started studying for it since March this year and failed the test today 6/30. I didn't find the SHRM learning system helpful to me at all, especially all the practice questions on the CD/modules. They were nothing like what was on the actual test!!! I'm so very disappointed.. :( Maybe I'm way over my head I should just take the PHR instead of the SPHR? sigh... Im going to try it again in December any suggestions? and I'm curious, did any of you guys also find the SHRM learning system not helpful? or is it ust me? I took the exam with 4 other people in the testing center and all 4 of us failed. I don't know what it is! :( HELP!! Claires1225

I am very sorry to hear that you did not pass the exam. I have taken it 2 times already and have not passed. Hopefully in December I will. I found the shrm learning system very helpful, would you like to sell yours, I am using old version? If so, you can contact me a Trulybwright@aol.com. Good Luck on your next try, you can do it!

lenbarry in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

63 months ago

I'll need a copy pls.

Jingle50 in Lafayette, Indiana

63 months ago

Hi! I am wanting to study and take either the PHR or SPHR. Suggestions? I have thirteen years in the staffing/recruiting industry. I have managed and lead teams in industrial and professional settings. Does anyone have their manuals/modules/materials that they would like to sell? You can email me at jingle50@comcast.net

Khalid in Sohar, Oman

63 months ago

Hi every one, I am writing either the PHR or SPHR in next window (December to January) and I am facing a problem. Actually I am from the Arab Gulf and working in American Co. my problem is I am not familiar with the regulations and laws/Acts that tested in SPHR and PHR, therefore I am facing problems in understanding it. I have already got the SHRM learning system package and wondering if there is another way that can support me to understand it more and deeply. Any suggestion?? Other book? Websites?

my emails is: albaasil@gmail.com

sherylklein in Brighton, Massachusetts

62 months ago

Tashana in Columbus, Ohio said: Okay, I'm getting ready to take the SPHR on Friday, Jan 30. This is my 2nd time and I've been studying like mad. I've only been using the learning system and I just purchased the PHR/SPHR study guide by Anne Bogardus. I'm finding that a lot of information that is in her book, is not in the learning system, so I use them both equally to study. I'm nervous as all get out, but I have over 7 years of experience in HR and for the past 3 weeks I've really been studying like crazy. I'll let you know if I pass. I do not fashion myself a good test taker, but I have taken into account all of the test taking tips and I will definitely getting a good nights sleep the night before. I have taken Friday off, even though my test is at 8 in the morning. Wish me well. I will be sure to report what I've learned. I AM SO NERVOUS....

Hi - did you pass? i took the shrm study course but multitasked during the sessions and then enrolled in ANOTHER 3 day course which was very helpful and still did not pass the sphr exam...thinking of getting the anne bogardus study book, did it help you? thx!

sherylklein in Brighton, Massachusetts

62 months ago

RWire said: I see that a lot of the responses are from those that passed. I took mine today and did not pass. I have taken the course, have the study material and have a substantial amount of experience in HR. I asked if I studied the material would I be able to pass..she said "Yes'...I have spent 4 solid weeks of studying on my own and 40 hours of classroom only to find that the test required more information then was contained in the SHRM Study Material. Big Disappointment in the instructor and material. I will retake the test but with my eyes open this time. I would like to hear some comments from others who were not successful.

Hi - I also didn't pass the SPHR exam. I took it in June 2009 and was enrolled in a shrm learning system online study class for 12 weeks through my employer but as we did these courses at work, i 'multi-tasked' and didn't fully dedicate myself to the class, big mistake. However, I enrolled myself in another 3 day course about 4-6 weeks prior to taking the exam, took it SO seriously and read each of the 6 module books, summarized the entire module in my own words, had my fiance test me w/ the flashcards and the glossary and was feeling really good, studied with a partner (who passed) and yet i still bombed. taking again next testing window...plan this time to use the Annge Bogardus book everyone on here is talking about, hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lenbary in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

Which college textbook did you use?

Jonathan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Francine LaBarbara in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I am not sure why you are looking for 2007, if you are planning on taking the test this window - you absolutely need the 2009 system - lots of changes. I have a complete unopened SHRM learning system for sale if you are interested my email is twinmommie10@aol.com, In any case if you are sitting for the current window, you absolutely need updated materials. Good Luck, Francine

How much for the complete 09 learning system?

Jonathan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Anyone interested in selling the 2009 SHRM learning system for SPHR let me know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Alise in Richmond Hill, Ontario

62 months ago

Hello Everyone!

I'm selling 3 study guides which helped me to pass the PHR exam in June 2009. No markings in the books - all of them are in prestine condition.

1) PHR/SPHR: Professional in Human Resources Certification Study Guide (Paperback) by Anne Bogardus (second edition)
- Covers all 2007 test specifications (includes CD)

2) PHR Professional in Human Resources (paperback) by Cathy Lee Gibson (second edition)
- 2008 book also includes CD

3) HRCI's PHR and SPHR Certification Guide by Raymond B. Weinberg (paperback)
- Guide was designed to provide HR professionals with relevant information about HRCI and it's certification process, describes the Institute's practice-analysis process and it's outcome, and it explains various ways to prepare for the PHR or SPHR exam.

Get these 3 study guides today for $60! What a great deal!!!

Please email me at alisacohen@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Thanks,

Alisa

trichmond in Napa, California

61 months ago

Francine LaBarbara in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hi, I have a 2009 unopened complete SHRM learning system if you are interested. My email is twinmommie10@aol.com,Good Luck to you!
Francine

Do you still have the learning system? My email is trichmond0509@gmail.com

I have just decided to go for my SPHR. Any suggesitons on where to start first? Feeling a bit overwhelmed! Thanks!!

Joe W. in West Jordan, Utah

61 months ago

tolemap@cox.net in Escondido, California said: I also took the PHR exam recently (1/29/09) and failed! I was SO disappointed as I've been studying and reviewing since last April with a heavy concentration in CertGears simulation test, and Kaplans study guide along with HRCP flashcards. I saw not ONE supreme court case and very few if any definitions. Mostly, one to three line scenario based questions, which my understanding is, is what the SPHR exam is comprised of. I accept full responsibility if I missed the boat. However, I have requested an audit to make sure that I was really administered the PHR exam and not the SPHR. What were your questions like?

So what was the result of the audit you asked HRCI to conduct?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.