How does one become an HR Manager?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Cori LaRoche (your cousin) in Raleigh, North Carolina

81 months ago

Hey Tom , It is all who you know! Join a HR dept at a hospital or something simple and work your way up.
Good luck with the move to FL and keep in touch if you want. cflaroche@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

motion tt in newyork

81 months ago

When you look for a job in HR department, do you find yourself going to Career Builder, Monster, Dice, Hot Jobs, etc. sites, and performing searches on each of those sites? If that is the case then Job Finder is for you. It can find jobs for you from all the above websites and more. You mention all your search criteria from one platform and it does all the heavy work of finding jobs based on your criteria from all www.motiont.com/jobfinder.aspx
www.motiont.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rosemarie in Birmingham, Alabama

79 months ago

Recruiting does not prepare you for a true HR role. You need to begin your HR career working up through the ranks (HR Admin reports, file maintenance; HR Coordinator creating HR Metric reports and understanding the data you're gathering and analyzing) so you can learn how a HR dept operates and gain analytical knowlege by having your manager mentor you in handling personnel issues such as determining compensation, terminations vs discipline (policy infraction vs outright violation), conducting investigations, creating and administering training programs, etc.

You will not be able to jump straight into a HR Generalist position no matter whom you know. Thanks to Sarbane-Oxley, HR must be able to defend in court the chosen candidate: N+2 with structured interview documentation as to how/why the chosen candidate was more qualified for the position than the others who were interviewed.

Unfortunately, you will be up against others who have real HR experience. You are a newby. Don't be in such a rush. Plan on at least 5 yrs of broad HR operations experience before you may have gained enough broad HR work experience to be considered for a HR Mgr position. You will also benefit, gaining HR knowlege from studying for the PHR certification (Professional in Human Resources) through your local SHRM Chapter ... a great place to start networking!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aliindian in Delhi, India

70 months ago

Put your query at www.aliindian.blogspot.com/ and it will be resolved asap.

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ravi in Hyderabad, India

31 months ago

after b.tech which course i have to take to become a hr manager
for a company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Arise X3 in Mauritius

31 months ago

i just want to know what should i learn to be An HR manager??????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Axel in Bluefield, West Virginia

31 months ago

I have found that in many of my jobs coincidentally I have had to do a certain amount of HR work. Manager of anything seems to put you in a position to manage people and have some type of HR duties. In more than one continuing ed class and seminars I have attended for HR, they have asked how people got into the HR field and the majority that I have heard fell into it the same way I did. I was an office manager for a clinic, having HR duties, a manager at a retail type franchise ending up with HR duties, a bank branch manager having HR responsibilites, moved into an administrative type position and gave some support to the HR Director. When the Director left, I was asked to take over the position.

My advice would be to continue applying for HR positions, but in the mean time, try to be in a position to manage people and keep your HR skills current.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.