Career Change to HVAC without experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (43)

Daddy D in Dallas, Texas

82 months ago

I'm looking to change careers and enter HVAC industry. I'm currently in school to get certification but I would like to work in the field while attending school to gain field experience. How can I get a company to hire me into an entry level position without having any experience and without completing my certification yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (346) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

duvall rafq in Charlotte, North Carolina

81 months ago

i graduated from the connecticut school of electronics i 2005.
i worked for one handyman service as a maintenance tech for 10 months.my employer died and i was unable to find another job here in charlotte , NC.
Would someone please tell me what i can do to get another job without being told that i dont have enough experience/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Fresno, California

80 months ago

Daddy D in Dallas, Texas said: I'm looking to change careers and enter HVAC industry. I'm currently in school to get certification but I would like to work in the field while attending school to gain field experience. How can I get a company to hire me into an entry level position without having any experience and without completing my certification yet?[/QUOTE

Here was my experience:
Assigned service truck 3rd day with company.
Troubleshooting very easy on most service calls.
Maybe 20 things that go wrong with equipment, usually the same 3 or 4.
Good job if you work well by yourself. Not brainy work, YOU must be liked and fit in with company to get your foot in door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Portland, Texas

79 months ago

Daddy D in Dallas, Texas said: I'm looking to change careers and enter HVAC industry. I'm currently in school to get certification but I would like to work in the field while attending school to gain field experience. How can I get a company to hire me into an entry level position without having any experience and without completing my certification yet?

What school are you attending. Is is expensive?

Pat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Derrick Anderson in Waukesha, Wisconsin

79 months ago

I am looking to work for a heating and cooling company in waukesha that i need very little experience for i know a little bit about heating and cooling and that i could make about 13.00 the 14.00 dollars an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

dan in Mount Holly, North Carolina

75 months ago

Daddy D in Dallas, Texas said: I'm looking to change careers and enter HVAC industry. I'm currently in school to get certification but I would like to work in the field while attending school to gain field experience. How can I get a company to hire me into an entry level position without having any experience and without completing my certification yet?

the service field is technical and you really need school for just a basic understanding (the expeirence is another couple years worth of school in itself) being entry level the only field work is installs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sylvanus Dean in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

charles simmons in bronx, New York said: recent graduate in the havac area, where i study air conditioning refrigeration. i have a(epa) universal certification. i have no work experience in the industry. i am seeking an opportunity for employment in the industry, where i can utilize my acquired knowledge.

Keep trying, you may eventually find some company that will employ you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Dallas, Texas

72 months ago

My boyfriend is going to school at ATI for HVAC. He has about 6 months left of school until he graduates, as he attend part time, and only three months left until he gets EPA certified. He says that once he gets his EPA card he will drop out of school because his EPA card is all he needs to get a good job in his field and it is not nessisary for him to actualy graduate.
Is this true or is he misinformed? I would like him to finish school so he can have a good chance at finding a good job but if his EPA card is all he needs then I can understand his point.
Please explain the difference of just having an EPA card compared to having an EPA card and graduating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

ATI employee in Miami, Florida

72 months ago

Hi, I work at ATI and I can tell you that no employer will want to hire a drop out. Employers are not just hiring someone with a card.They are looking for responsible people who finish what they start, who will show up ontime and work a full day. Dropping out is a sign of lack of integrity and someone not willing to complete assignments. Besides ATI offers career placement, resume and interviewing skills, not to mention setting up interviews with employers that regularly contact us to refer good students. The HVAC program offer 4 different types of certifications. The more cert's he passes, the more money he will earn. Employers want those folks who are highly trained and certified.

Not worth it to drop out with only 3 months left. Short sighted thinking, IMO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RJL in Fresno, California

72 months ago

I am an HVAC tech with several certificates. I work with a man who is the proverbial drop out. He taught me several important lessons. Drop outs have little ability to plan long term, are destined to be life long employees, never the boss or company owner. On the other hand, he has terrific troubleshooting skills, he taught me the "fix whats broke" method of getting the job done. 90% of the time, his methods serves me better than what I learned in school, the other 10% of the time I use my school training to attack problems in a way that he can't, since he did not finish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

o hairston in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

i have epa hvac card for georgia can i do work in the state of florida?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dick Hammer in Great Bend, Kansas

71 months ago

ATI employee in Miami, Florida said: Hi, I work at ATI and I can tell you that no employer will want to hire a drop out. Employers are not just hiring someone with a card.They are looking for responsible people who finish what they start, who will show up ontime and work a full day. Dropping out is a sign of lack of integrity and someone not willing to complete assignments. Besides ATI offers career placement, resume and interviewing skills, not to mention setting up interviews with employers that regularly contact us to refer good students. The HVAC program offer 4 different types of certifications. The more cert's he passes, the more money he will earn. Employers want those folks who are highly trained and certified.

Not worth it to drop out with only 3 months left. Short sighted thinking, IMO.

I Beleive they dont care if you finshed college they just want to no how much you no about HVAC because college is nothing like in the field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hvac tech12 in Concord, North Carolina

71 months ago

Dick Hammer in Great Bend, Kansas said: I Beleive they dont care if you finshed college they just want to no how much you no about HVAC because college is nothing like in the field
That may be true in some cases, there are employers that require A.A.S. DEGREE and or NATE certification or minimum of 5-7 years field experiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nonstop67 in Reserve, Louisiana

69 months ago

I am about to get my epa card have field exp. better than school is this all I need to start my own company, right now working for brother in law and 4 other owners looking to go out on my own

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Topeka, Kansas

68 months ago

Marie in Dallas, Texas said: My boyfriend is going to school at ATI for HVAC. He has about 6 months left of school until he graduates, as he attend part time, and only three months left until he gets EPA certified. He says that once he gets his EPA card he will drop out of school because his EPA card is all he needs to get a good job in his field and it is not nessisary for him to actualy graduate.
Is this true or is he misinformed? I would like him to finish school so he can have a good chance at finding a good job but if his EPA card is all he needs then I can understand his point.
Please explain the difference of just having an EPA card compared to having an EPA card and graduating.

Marie,
Short-term gain for long-term pain. Tell him to finish what he started. Dropouts are a dime a dozen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bigtex81 in ENNIS, Texas

65 months ago

It sounds like I'm in the same boat as everyone else.I'm 27 and looking into getting into HVAC-R.I worked 5 years for a company in the shipping department making about 50K a year.I've been a sells maneger for 1 year and only making about 20k and its not cutting it(long hours no pay).I want something with options and job security.Any advice on tech schools in Dallas,tx or any advice at all about the career would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

RJL in Fresno, California

65 months ago

I was once a white collar worker with long hours and what amounted to low pay. This is my third year in HVAC and I get paid for every hour I work and overtime on ocassion. It was the best decision of my life to leave the white collar salary rip off. Get your certificates early, get in with a company part time after school if you can, do anything to get hands on experience. Make your contacts as early as you have something to offer. In my program we made contacts 4 months before graduation and those high quality companies were there for us at graduation. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JON in Uniontown, Ohio

65 months ago

sylvanus Dean in Atlanta, Georgia said: i have universal epa hvac certification for georgia can i do work in the state of florida?

Your CFC Certification is Valid in any state since it is certified by the US. Your wanting to do work in other states I would assume comes down to whether you are licensed in that state, and also which ever county you would like to work in. (Company or yourself needs to have State HVAC or Refrigeration license, depending on what type of work you are doing.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MIKE in Albany, New York

65 months ago

It really seems like there is very little people with the job skills in the north east without a job. Am i mistaken? I haven't searched on here a lot but the few that are just have a cert and no schooling or training. I have a silver cert from NORA and welding expierence to help along my hvac degree. I was wondering what else in important? What books,tools,certs like the fluke116 is what my school wants me to get. Do i need more than one type of multimeter i saw hvac tech12 talk about the fluke 60 i think. You seem to know you stuff so in two year hopefully this economy will turn around what would be the most important thing to get to know and have?

Thanks for any help. Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

hvac tech 12 in Concord, North Carolina

65 months ago

the fluke 116 is a good multimeter but it is kind of expensive, you need a meter that will check a/c volts d/c volts, capacitance, ohms. I personally use the fluke 115 or 117 I think I dont know without getting it out of my toolbag.you also need a good clamp on amp meter. you can get by with out the temp meter(fluke 62) but it sure does come in handy especially with clamp on temp. clamps fluke makes some but you dont have to get the expensive ones you can do a google search for temperature clamps and see the differant ones I use thre yellow ones that cost around $20.00-$30.00 as opposed to $60.00.there are a vast aray of tools and meters you can purchase to make life easier but you will spend alot of money on them. The longer you are in the field the more you can pick up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

WageslaveZ in Warren, Michigan

54 months ago

I think I wasted 2 years of my life for my A.S. in HVACR. This trade sucks, nobody will hire me because I have ZERO experience in the field because I've been unemployed for 2 freaking years and all shops want are 5+ year veterans to throw in a truck for Chinese wages. How the hell do you beat the vicious circle and get a job in the first place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bree in Hampton, South Carolina

54 months ago

Chukwuemeka Soronnadi in Detroit, Michigan said: I am currently in school right now for hvac in alabama i was told that my accent was too strong that i would not be able to work in the south i was very discourged to hear that because my hope is to move to the south i want to work in this field doing my new found trade but im worried that i may be discriminated against could you please help me find work.

Try hilton head Island, There newspaper is Island Packette they are picking up for the summer HVAC jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

michael in Rockdale, Texas

51 months ago

WageslaveZ in Warren, Michigan said: I think I wasted 2 years of my life for my A.S. in HVACR. This trade sucks, nobody will hire me because I have ZERO experience in the field because I've been unemployed for 2 freaking years and all shops want are 5+ year veterans to throw in a truck for Chinese wages. How the hell do you beat the vicious circle and get a job in the first place?

Man i totally agree with you got laid off from alcoa when plant shut down in late 2008...went to school for HVAC repair,now i am Universal EPA certified, and am registered with State of Texas, Have all my tools to do HVAC work on hand but ..can`t even get a GDamn entry level job! all want 3-5 yrs experience..how am i suppoosed to get field experience??? was even told by some guys that alot of places don`t want to allow you to work for them and get field experience because they are afraid you might break off later on and start your own buisness and be their competition...uuugh! this is a cuthroat field..i am thoroughly disgusted

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hvac Pro in Las Vegas, Nevada

50 months ago

nonstop67 in Reserve, Louisiana said: I am about to get my epa card have field exp. better than school is this all I need to start my own company, right now working for brother in law and 4 other owners looking to go out on my own

where at? LA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WageslaveZ in Southfield, Michigan

50 months ago

Here's how cutthroat and paranoid HVAC shops are right now. I applied to a temporary "technician's helper" job at this one shop near me and didn't hear anything back from them in 3 weeks. Apparently it's my mixture of extended joblessness, my overeducation in the field, yet lack of HVACR experience that makes people treat me like a non-entity. So does the Air National Guard actually have an HVAC apprenticeship or is that only the regular Air Force? That $20,000 sign up bonus and relocation to Texas is looking better every day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

WageslaveZ in Southfield, Michigan said: Here's how cutthroat and paranoid HVAC shops are right now. I applied to a temporary "technician's helper" job at this one shop near me and didn't hear anything back from them in 3 weeks. Apparently it's my mixture of extended joblessness, my overeducation in the field, yet lack of HVACR experience that makes people treat me like a non-entity. So does the Air National Guard actually have an HVAC apprenticeship or is that only the regular Air Force? That $20,000 sign up bonus and relocation to Texas is looking better every day.

Things aren't any better here in PA... I have sent out countless resumes without hearing anything back, and when I go on interviews things seem to go well, but then I hear nothing and can't get my phone calls returned. Same problems you have faced, everyone wants 3-5 years experience and pays crap. I'm sticking with my plan of attending school for computer technology... hopefully it works out better than HVAC has.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dev in Brampton, Ontario

50 months ago

I am thinking of to relocate in an weather friendly state in Canada. I am a Canadian national, holding Refrigeration Mechanic Inter provincial License, Valid Ozone depletion card and working as a Building Maintenance person. I worked as an Airconditioning mechanic/ Supervisor position for 15 years in Gulf countries.

Looking forward to hear from some one with useful information.

Thank you !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mitch'e in Eatontown, New Jersey

46 months ago

I have completly finshed school for Hvac and now looking to get hirred . but I need more hands on exp ?
I have sent out a lot of Resumes and I work for the Gov't here in Nj I even have a universal certifacate and that course was hard.
now I want go to work every one is asking for 5 yrs or more?

Mitch'e

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

syld in Smyrna, Georgia

46 months ago

I was told to go back to school and learn a new trade since I lost my last Job. But it is almost more than two years now since I completed my training as a HVAC technician with a unversal certification and could find a job. I have always been told have to have 5 years of experience. I have had hands on training with two small hvac and maintenance businesses here but still could not find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JOE D. CHAPMAN in Bedford, Texas

45 months ago

JOE D. CHPMAN I graduated from Cleburne TEXS, WEAVER AIRLINE PERSONNEL SCHOOL,
KANSAS CITY, MO AND LINSEY-COOPER REFRIGERATION SCHOOL AND RECEIVED MY EPA AND
UNIVERSAL TYPE CERTIFICATE MY CERTIFICATE NUMBER IS 229608

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JOE D. CHAPMAN in Bedford, Texas

45 months ago

CAREER IN HEATING AND REFRIGERATION TRAINING I HAVE THE TECHNICIAN TYPE
UNIVERSAL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JOE D. CHAPMAN in Bedford, Texas

45 months ago

Daddy D in Dallas, Texas said: I'm looking to change careers and enter HVAC industry. I'm currently in school to get certification but I would like to work in the field while attending school to gain field experience. How can I get a company to hire me into an entry level position without having any experience and without completing my certification yet?

I have the hvac certificate of completion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jiihaad30 in Washington, District of Columbia

40 months ago

I have my 608,410,&609 certifications now I need more hands on.What can I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emk41428 in San Francisco, California

34 months ago

I just took the pr-eapprentice test for the local JATC union to work as an apprentice for an HVAC company.Im pretty sure my score is good, and there seemed to be a lack of general interest at this union to get into the field. Hoping to get a job in mid-summer, but I work in a place where the weather is usually very pleasant. Does that fact hinder any chance of turning this into a career? Im a 31 yr old father of a 2 yr old child, going back to school in january and really need a career Plus I have no experience. The program thru the union state they'd teach me everything I need to know, thru the classes I'd be taking. But I'd really like any input from someone who has gone this route before. Anything at all would be very appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

WageslaveZ in Macomb, Michigan

34 months ago

Sorry to sound pessimistic San-Fran, but I've been in the same Catch-22 you are for at least 3 years now. I've next-to-zero HVAC experience, I've tested into pre-apprentice status with the MRCC and IBEW in my area, but I've been left out to dry by both. The Millwrights b@tch about having to find work for three Journeymen before an apprentice gets the crumbs being the excuse for not employing me while my eligibility withers and dies. The IBEW gave me a longer eligibility period, but local employers either want people already in the system or are completely anti-union. As for HVAC, I'm screwed because I don't have 5 years' MINIMUM experience. Starting to wish I went into IT management or advanced manufacturing, actual work left in those areas for Associate's holders. My AAS of Climate Control Technology will be kindling for my bum fire. This is coming from a 30 y.o. bachelor with no family to worry about... Hope Cali treats you better than my Rust Belt gulag treats me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ymn in Dearborn, Michigan

29 months ago

theirs a glut of hvac folks who want to enter the industry. They keep promising the world if you get :training: but the real world is not like that. You have to have a hook up in the industry or kiss ass and start at the bottom and after many years you become a bonified hvac industry. thats my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawon H. in White Plains, New York

26 months ago

Hello,

Based on the comments that I have seen, it seems that it is very hard to get into the field of HVAC as a helper especially in the Northeast and in parts of the Southeast. I am working on getting my CFC Type 1, R-410, Indoor Air Quality, HVAC Preventive Maintenance, and my HVAC Green Awareness Cards as well. Just can't understand why it's so hard to get work. Can anybody let me know where's the work at. It's not in the Northeast and the South like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

russbarnes@eps-hvac.com in Fairfax, Virginia

24 months ago

Dawon H. in White Plains, New York said: Hello,

Based on the comments that I have seen, it seems that it is very hard to get into the field of HVAC as a helper especially in the Northeast and in parts of the Southeast. I am working on getting my CFC Type 1, R-410, Indoor Air Quality, HVAC Preventive Maintenance, and my HVAC Green Awareness Cards as well. Just can't understand why it's so hard to get work. Can anybody let me know where's the work at. It's not in the Northeast and the South like that.

washington dc area, get your universal lic. type 1 does not cut it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

russbarnes@eps-hvac.com in Fairfax, Virginia

24 months ago

syld in Smyrna, Georgia said: I was told to go back to school and learn a new trade since I lost my last Job. But it is almost more than two years now since I completed my training as a HVAC technician with a unversal certification and could find a job. I have always been told have to have 5 years of experience. I have had hands on training with two small hvac and maintenance businesses here but still could not find a job.

still looking? we are hiring in northern Virginia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Luis in Worcester, Massachusetts

4 months ago

Mike in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Things aren't any better here in PA... I have sent out countless resumes without hearing anything back, and when I go on interviews things seem to go well, but then I hear nothing and can't get my phone calls returned. Same problems you have faced, everyone wants 3-5 years experience and pays crap. I'm sticking with my plan of attending school for computer technology... hopefully it works out better than HVAC has.

I did the HVAC school in 2009 and didnt get a entry level hvac job til 2014. You guys just gotta keep looking and patiently wait your turn and it ll come

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Hemet, California

3 months ago

This industry is a joke. All these companies want "Mr. Supertech" with his 5 years experience. These companies don't get it that 5 years ago the economy tanked and many HVAC techs got laid off, so they found new careers or just retired. I finished 14 months of school a month ago and the lesson I got out of it is it's not what you know, it's who you know. After trying with about 50 companies via phone, walking in, online resumes, I just flat gave up and went back to driving truck. A.S degree, universal EPA, being told I made a good choice to go back to school, HAAAAA! (flushes toilet)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shadowsaint12@yahoo.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 month ago

Marie in Dallas, Texas said: My boyfriend is going to school at ATI for HVAC . He has about 6 months left of school until he graduates, as he attend part time, and only three months left until he gets EPA certified. He says that once he gets his EPA card he will drop out of school because his EPA card is all he needs to get a good job in his field and it is not nessisary for him to actualy graduate.
Is this true or is he misinformed? I would like him to finish school so he can have a good chance at finding a good job but if his EPA card is all he needs then I can understand his point.
Please explain the difference of just having an EPA card compared to having an EPA card and graduating.

Tell him to never drop out! especially with only 3 more months to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shadowsaint12@yahoo.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 month ago

What is the better school to attend for HVAC/R training? Quality Technical Training Center or ATI? I have heard really good things about Quality Technical Training Center and that their graduate employment outcomes are much better than ATI. 3 months training at QTTC rather than 10 months training at ATI.
What do you think??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.