Getting into an hvac union

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 92)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Phanique Dupree in Neptune, New Jersey

72 months ago

I have a hvac certification, EPA , and a 410a Liceince is an Hvac union worth getting into. If so how easy is it to get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (155) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt H in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

314 Pipe welder in St. louis, Missouri said: The best thing I think you can do is to go to the local pipfitter union in your area or you can go to the local sheet metal workers union in your area. You can go online and google the unions in your area. I 'm in the same boat with you man. Just keep trying and don't give up because something will come through for you. Good Luck!

Thanks man

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

BRIAN in Germantown, Maryland

65 months ago

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE UNION FOR HVAC IN MD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Hey Brian I did a quick search and found there's a Local486 in Maryland hope it helps man

Here is the Local 486 website hope this works for you ?

486 Home <www.ualocal486.com/index.htm>
contact us at info@UALocal486.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brian in Greenbelt, Maryland

65 months ago

hey thanks man.Do you have any more info you can share about workin for the union

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I was told the best thing I think you can do is to go to the local pipfitter union in your area or you can go to the local sheet metal workers union in your area.

I was told that's how you start out in the union I can't get in yet till i can get my GED finished I have everything else but that.

so find a local union around you on Google search and email them on what u need to have to get in take care & hope the best

Kurt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

brian in Greenbelt, Maryland said: hey thanks man.Do you have any more info you can share about workin for the union

I was told the best thing I think you can do is to go to the local pipfitter union in your area or you can go to the local sheet metal workers union in your area.

I was told that's how you start out in the union I can't get in yet till i can get my GED finished I have everything else but that.

so find a local union around you on Google search and email them on what u need to have to get in take care & hope the best

Kurt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brian in Greenbelt, Maryland

65 months ago

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

geckoejon in Kissimmee, Florida

65 months ago

FutRHVACr in Schenectady, New York said: I'm about to get into the field in upstate New York. If you get in to the apprenticeship program with one of the UA Locals, you're wages are guaranteed. Per the last contract negotions wages are as follows:

1st Year Apprentice: $12.56/hr
2nd Year Apprentice: $15.71/hr
3rd Year Apprentice: $18.85/hr
4th Year Apprentice: $21.99/hr
5th Year Apprentice: $26.70/hr
Journeyman: $31.41/hr

well, i am in orlando, fl and the wages are lower. journeyman are at $22 and change. just curious though, while you have a higher wage scale, how many guys are on the bench? it's kind of scary around here as far as lack of work.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

brian in Baltimore, Maryland

65 months ago

well i havent gotten started I am tring to get into the field but there is definitaly a lck of work now.Which is makng thing dificult to get started

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

shaun s in easton,ct in Easton, Connecticut

64 months ago

help, i finished school and i am trying to get started into the field.(with no luck) where or who can i turn to for help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

will730 in Jersey City, New Jersey

63 months ago

listen every body just keep putting your resume out there me i have a job at sears fresh out of hvac school only thing there isnt much techs out here so good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Aj in Woodbridge, Virginia

63 months ago

can someone help me find the local hvac union thats located in dc/va i've tried searching for it through google but just couldnt find anything?

thnak you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

patrick

63 months ago

it almost sounds to me as though alot of these trade schools are flooding the market with hvac techs, but there is not an actual need for said techs? i myself have been doing alot of searching for local jobs in ma but don't seem to be finding any listings,or the few i have seen require min 2yrs exp. curious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Stoughton, Massachusetts

62 months ago

In Mass the rate for union pipefitters, which an HVAC tech would be in, is 44.50$ an hour along with a truck, cell phone, gas card, 10$ an hour into pension/retirement and 5$ an hour into healthcare. However this year and next year they aren't taking any classes. It is worth it if you can get in but you usually have to know someone to get in. My dad owns a union company and got my husband in to work for his company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Useless Unions in Minneapolis, Minnesota

61 months ago

Stay away from the unions! Right now there are over 470 HVAC people on the bench in my union. The people on the bench are forbidden to look for work in their field on their own, you have to wait for the union to find you a job. In the mean time they still have to pay union dues. The medical benefits are terrible. Their is a $25 co-pay per office visit with a family deductable of $6000. We could of had better and cheaper insurance thru my spouse but you can not opt out of the unions insurance. My insurance package cost over $7 a hour, if you do the math and look at the co-pays and deductable this is no bargain.
You also have to remember you are not treated as a human...you are a piece of equipment in their eyes and you are very disposable. The union does not help the members...the stories you hear that the union reps are only in it for them is VERY TRUE!
If you value your rights and your freedom...stay away!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Useless Unions in Minneapolis, Minnesota

60 months ago

I agree!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

60 months ago

Useless Unions in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I agree!!!

Just go to work and give an honest day of work and you will stay employed. Unions are the best thing going for any worker in America. Its what this country was built on. Look now adays there are less and less of unions workers around, and nobody has health care no one is getting good pay (except the ceos) and there are illegal immigrants all over doing a crappy job for pennies. Stand up voice your rights and GO UNION>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ed in Abington, Massachusetts

59 months ago

I graduated with an Associate Degree in HVAC and i'm really having a hard time finding a job. All i keep hearing is NO JOB EXPERIANCE. I live in Boston,MA and have decided to join an apprentice program but don't really know where to go or where to start from. I really need your advise guys. Life is getting very tough every single day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe from Rockland in Boston, Massachusetts

58 months ago

Ed in Abington, Massachusetts said: I graduated with an Associate Degree in HVAC and i'm really having a hard time finding a job. All i keep hearing is NO JOB EXPERIANCE. I live in Boston,MA and have decided to join an apprentice program but don't really know where to go or where to start from. I really need your advise guys. Life is getting very tough every single day

Hi Ed,
I am currently in a degree program for HVAC and my professor tells me about plenty of work in the field, which surprisingly is a HUGE field. By this I mean there are numerous applications im which to work. I have found many jobs also but you are right- most require SOME experience but you 2 years in college SHOULD account for something. There are postings on the job board and there is a website specifically for HVAC jobs. try googling HVAC jobs Boston and you will get numerous hits (I'm sure you already tried that) but did you try Hvacagent.com?
The trick to no experience (or minimal) is to "sell yourself". Make someone feel "safe" in hiring you by presenting a good resume with great "selling points" about yourself, your work ethic, your "related" experiences.
I'm right next door in Rockland...we should talk. Get back to me! Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

JBD in Lawrence, Massachusetts

57 months ago

Ed. I went to Peterson School back in 1997. My first job was with Pepsi as a vending mechanic. All I needed was a type 2 reclaim and refrigeration knowledge. The pay was decent at the time about 15.00. I know now that Pepsi in Haverhill, Wilmington and Needham were advertising. I haven't worked for them since 2003. It was all I needed for my time to get a license. I work in the commercial facility end of hvac now. The most important thing is to get your working hours to get your license. The amount of jobs in Ma for a licensed hvac are plentiful.

Ed in Abington, Massachusetts said: I graduated with an Associate Degree in HVAC and i'm really having a hard time finding a job. All i keep hearing is NO JOB EXPERIANCE. I live in Boston,MA and have decided to join an apprentice program but don't really know where to go or where to start from. I really need your advise guys. Life is getting very tough every single day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

james ernst in Waldorf, Maryland

57 months ago

I have been a sheeet metal worker for 25years installing ductwork also service and installation mixed in for the last 10 years I have done bidding ,system design , drafting , was sheetmetal forman ,production manager and now run the sheetmetal shop they pay me salary of 1100.00 a week before we took a 15% deuction because of work being slow my problem is we are required to work a 50 hour week on salary thats fine but if you take a day off you get docted in pay for that day but we work over our 50 hours by 8-10 hours we dont get payed for it not even in comp time is this legal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jon in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

Brian in Mount Laurel, New Jersey said: Just go to work and give an honest day of work and you will stay employed. Unions are the best thing going for any worker in America. Its what this country was built on. Look now adays there are less and less of unions workers around, and nobody has health care no one is getting good pay (except the ceos) and there are illegal immigrants all over doing a crappy job for pennies. Stand up voice your rights and GO UNION>

Yea well my honest days of working in the trade for the past 10 years have gotten me laid off. Pipefitters 597 in chicago pays journeyman over $43 an hour. Unfortunately that is the reason why all the union shops out here are dying, they are way overpriced to customers compared to nonunion shops in my area. I have 10 years in the trade, 5 years nonunion and the past 5 in the union.. been laid off from the union for the past 5 months and they still expect me to pay my dues while doing NOTHING to help me find a job. Its all about the company you work for, whether they are union or not, if they take care of you then thats all that matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

alex r.

55 months ago

Hi my name is alex and I'm currently looking for anpprentice job. Truthfully I would work for under the tabel below minimum wage. I'm a student at lincoln tech hvac program in union nj. If anyone can help me please email me at richardson.alejandro@gmail.com. Anything is appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ant.sullivan in Greenville, South Carolina

55 months ago

I completed the HVAC program last May, and because I could not find a job(due to lack of experience in the HVAC field), I had to go back to school in August 09' just to pick up some extra classes. I have various certifications including a universal EPA, but companies always say that they want at least 2-5 years experience in the field. I don't know how anybody can get the experience if they can't get hired. I am getting more and more frustrated by the day. I also got my CPO certification and thought that I would try apartment maintenance, and I have had some call backs, but still no job offer. I have even offered to work in the front offices of HVAC companies, but that didn't work either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tyrone in Dundalk, Maryland

55 months ago

Aj in Woodbridge, Virginia said: can someone help me find the local hvac union thats located in dc/va i've tried searching for it through google but just couldnt find anything?

thnak you

try ua local 602 , google it

KNIGHT in Arlington, Virginia

54 months ago

Need serious help on getting cfc certification. I am in the virginia and dc area. how can i get certification other than joining a union. I would like to get it as quick as possible any info?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

local 18sucks

53 months ago

local 18 sheetmetal union sucks i have been in it for 11 years people are such dam back stabbers i worked both union and nonunion i was happy working nonunion

crabbe in Orlando, Florida

52 months ago

KNIGHT in Arlington, Virginia said: Need serious help on getting cfc certification. I am in the virginia and dc area. how can i get certification other than joining a union. I would like to get it as quick as possible any info?

go to any supply house such as R.E. Michal and they put of cfc cert classes almost weekly. Check there and C.C. dickson or your local community collage. good luck

broke and in debt in Wood River, Illinois

52 months ago

i graduated from a local "technical college" in st louis here with an associates DEGREE in HVAC (that cost me 25 grand) FOUR MONTHS AGO and still have not been offered one single job relted to HVAC. i went to try to sign up at a few different unions - both of the tinners unions i went to want me to pay them money in order for me to sign up (which doesn't make sense to me) so i passed on signing up for them - boilermakers have not called back, and pipefitters aren't taking sign ups until october lol.
HVAC was a horrible career choice for me to go to college for because all it has done is pile more debt on top of my head. and of course the school - which promised me they'd help me out above and beyond to get me a job before i enrolled- hasn't done a damn thing for me. i guess they've already got my money what the hell do they care about me now right? the american way lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ant.sullivan in Greenville, South Carolina

52 months ago

My cost for obtaining an Associates degree in HVAC has also piled up my debt. It's very frustrating to keep being told that I need "5 yrs experience" to get a job. I am enrolled in school once again this semester. I've had to change my career goals all together. I am now in the network administration program. You may try paying to get your CPO certification. I had to pay like $400 to take that two day class, but I did get my CPO certification and that way you may be able to do apartment maintenance. I tried to find a job in apartment maintenance as well since I have the HVAC and the Pool certification, but I also failed due to "no experience." I guess my career now is being a student.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

broke and in debt in Wood River, Illinois

52 months ago

it just really pi$$es me off because the school i went to - ranken technical college - tells everyone that comes to look at the school that they're going to bend over backwards helping you get a job, and that they have these astronomical employment placement rates, i think i read on last years' catalog "4.79 jobs per graduate" for the HVAC program.
and they haven't done a DAMN thing to help me get a job, and to be honest i think it's more like "4.79 graduates per job".
i think these schools should be able to be held legally responsible for lying to people to convince them to borrow money to come to their school.
i mean christ - 25 grand is 40% of my mortgage balance.
i've had ONE interview over this summer for a job relating to HVAC, and they asked me point blank in the interview "we know people can go through ranken and not do anything and still get C's - were you one of these people?"
i mean jesus lol - that should tell you something about the difference of the image ranken tries to project, and what is reality lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rufus Hannah in Alton, Illinois

51 months ago

broke and in debt in Wood River, Illinois said: it just really pi$$es me off because the school i went to - ranken technical college - tells everyone that comes to look at the school that they're going to bend over backwards helping you get a job, and that they have these astronomical employment placement rates, i think i read on last years' catalog "4.79 jobs per graduate" for the HVAC program.
and they haven't done a DAMN thing to help me get a job, and to be honest i think it's more like "4.79 graduates per job".
i think these schools should be able to be held legally responsible for lying to people to convince them to borrow money to come to their school.
i mean christ - 25 grand is 40% of my mortgage balance.
i've had ONE interview over this summer for a job relating to HVAC, and they asked me point blank in the interview "we know people can go through ranken and not do anything and still get C's - were you one of these people?"
i mean jesus lol - that should tell you something about the difference of the image ranken tries to project, and what is reality lol.

I know exactly what you are talking about. 3 years ago I received a certificate in HVAC from Southwestern Illinois College in Granite City, Not one time since then have I been offered a job in the field of HVAC. I can also say that 90% of the students that were in my class were no better off. The only ones that were able to get a job in this field were the ones that knew somebody and probably would have been able to get a job with or without schooling.

The biggest part of the problem is the number of trade schools in the area. There is Rankin, Vaterot, American Trade School and Southwestern Illinois College just to name a few. I've even seen ads on Craigslist for an individual owner of a HVAC business offering what he calls "cheap training on a very promising career." A certificate in this trade means about as much as something that you could get out of a Cracker Jack box.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

i feel your pain. i went to a tech school and couldn't get a service job after. i have since got in the union and just started my 4th yr in my apprenticeship. i am in service now, but it was a long hard road. i didn't know anyone to get in. i did get in and bust my butt. eventually i was blessed with a service position. i can look back and honestly see why i didn't get a service position after just attending a tech school. well, i take that back, i could've had several but thought i deserved a full fledged service position instead of being a helper. just attending class and getting a little shop time is nice. it gives you the basics, but it is a whole other ballgame out there in the field. they fed us the same line of feces about all the jobs. once you get experience though, the jobs are out there. fresh olut of class, not so much...

my advice, get a position someplace even if it is as a helper in a mom and pops operation. it will give you experience and open the doors later on. it is worth it in the long run.

just my 2 cents....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

geckoejon in Kissimmee, Florida said: i feel your pain. i went to a tech school and couldn't get a service job after. i have since got in the union and just started my 4th yr in my apprenticeship. i am in service now, but it was a long hard road. i didn't know anyone to get in. i did get in and bust my butt. eventually i was blessed with a service position. i can look back and honestly see why i didn't get a service position after just attending a tech school. well, i take that back, i could've had several but thought i deserved a full fledged service position instead of being a helper. just attending class and getting a little shop time is nice. it gives you the basics, but it is a whole other ballgame out there in the field. they fed us the same line of feces about all the jobs. once you get experience though, the jobs are out there. fresh olut of class, not so much...

my advice, get a position someplace even if it is as a helper in a mom and pops operation. it will give you experience and open the doors later on. it is worth it in the long run.

just my 2 cents....

That is why I believe school is overrated. 90% of what you learn will be from working on the job. Back in the old days, people actually believed in training somebody for a job. Now they expect everybody to go to school and waste their time and money for a job that they probably don't have any real chance of getting. If somebody has a mechanical aptitude they will probably learn more on one month of the job then they did in 2 years of school.

51 months ago

try getting into your local union apprenticeship then you can get both. i think school is a great thing and much, but not by itself. you need the hands on experience with it.

tom in Edwardsville, Illinois

51 months ago

our union halls around here are so tight you practically have to be born into them - when they're even hiring once a decade lol. seriously - if you don't know someone you can just forget about it.
i went and signed up at the sheet metal hall in st louis, but they want people to go back to the ranken, and pay ranken 40 dollars to take some generic aptitude test. i called ranken and they wont let me take it for free even though i just gave them 25 grand and just graduated from there- they still want another 40 bucks for me to walk in and take the same test i took on their computers to get into ranken in the first place lol. how's that for "job placement assistance"? lol
i would go and take it just to get on the list, but i really can't afford 40 bucks just to get signed up at a union that isn't hiring anyways.
i can understand what you guys are saying about just knowing the basics with a 'certificate' - but i have an associates degree now, and i know quite a bit more than just "basics" believe it or not.
but still - i can't even find a job as a helper anywhere. nobody's hiring anything but "experienced" around here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob B in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

I graduated from North Montco Tech School for Residential A/C and Heating I have EPA cert for universal and R410-A safety cert yet I can't even get an interview. I have worked as a field tech for 10 years so dealing with people and working on my own is nothing I'm not used to, also I sent resumes and have in perso to many of the hvac companies in the area offering to work as an unpaid intern or part time till I get the proper experience, if someone has a suggestion on how to get started in this business I would appreciate the suggestions of any and all kinds no matter what it sounds like. You can email me at Travelingman312@aol.com I would appreciate any and all help thank you.

Bob B in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

tom in Edwardsville, Illinois said: our union halls around here are so tight you practically have to be born into them - when they're even hiring once a decade lol. seriously - if you don't know someone you can just forget about it.
i went and signed up at the sheet metal hall in st louis, but they want people to go back to the ranken, and pay ranken 40 dollars to take some generic aptitude test. i called ranken and they wont let me take it for free even though i just gave them 25 grand and just graduated from there- they still want another 40 bucks for me to walk in and take the same test i took on their computers to get into ranken in the first place lol. how's that for "job placement assistance"? lol
i would go and take it just to get on the list, but i really can't afford 40 bucks just to get signed up at a union that isn't hiring anyways.
i can understand what you guys are saying about just knowing the basics with a 'certificate' - but i have an associates degree now, and i know quite a bit more than just "basics" believe it or not.
but still - i can't even find a job as a helper anywhere. nobody's hiring anything but "experienced" around here.

The same thing is happening in PA they all want 3 to 7 years experience maybe you might try getting into an intern program that will help get your experience or go to hvac supply houses where the local contractors get their supplies and offer to work with them to get yoyr experience that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Edwardsville, Illinois

51 months ago

Bob B in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania said: The same thing is happening in PA they all want 3 to 7 years experience maybe you might try getting into an intern program that will help get your experience or go to hvac supply houses where the local contractors get their supplies and offer to work with them to get yoyr experience that way.

yeah. i don't mean to sound a debbie downer, but i've been to a couple of the parts houses, they all say the same thing lol. "i dunno man - leave me your resume maybe i'll hear something"...
god i wish i could go back 2 years and just to my local community college's 2 year nursing program instead of this "HVAC" crap. what a horrible waste of time and money.
well at least i hear other people are also having a hard time finding a first job in this field and it's not just me, like that really matters anyways lol.
i'm considering bankruptcy now.
i'm considering maybe tyring to sell my house, if it sells if not just let them foreclose on it i don't care anymore, and moving into some cheap trailer somewhere and working at mcdonald's and getting on as much welfare and food stamps as i can.
screw it lol. nobody wants to give me a job then the economy can suck up my debt and failure lol. i'm tired of working my a$$ off just to pay for the big bank executive's bailout and everything else.

51 months ago

personally, i never had that much of a problem finding a job no matter where i lived. i never had anyone just opening doors for me. i did go out and beat the pavement and walk into many places and ask personally if they were hiring. sometimes it is a different story if you walk in personally. if you are looking to get into hvac possibly try sheetmetal, ductwork, new installs, controls,pipefitting, plumbing, ect.. would help you get a little hands on experience while you look for something else. i have also learned that in the hvac field it is kind of a small world. your reputation follows you around and will make or break you....

51 months ago

tom in Edwardsville, Illinois said: yeah. i don't mean to sound a debbie downer, but i've been to a couple of the parts houses, they all say the same thing lol. "i dunno man - leave me your resume maybe i'll hear something"...
god i wish i could go back 2 years and just to my local community college's 2 year nursing program instead of this "HVAC" crap. what a horrible waste of time and money.
well at least i hear other people are also having a hard time finding a first job in this field and it's not just me, like that really matters anyways lol.
i'm considering maybe tyring to sell my house, if it sells if not just let them foreclose on it i don't care anymore, and moving into some cheap trailer somewhere and working at mcdonald's and getting on as much welfare and food stamps as i can.
screw it lol. nobody wants to give me a job then the economy can suck up my debt and failure lol. i'm tired of working my a$$ off just to pay for the big bank executive's bailout and everything else.

You may as well get a job at McDonald's. Without a doubt you would have a hell of a lot better chance of getting hired. Plus the pay would be about the same as an entry level HVAC tech and you would not have to supply your own tools. Maybe after a few years you could work your way into management and then you will be making the big bucks.

I think what these trade schools are doing is borderline illegal. They no damn good and well when you sign up that you are more than likely not going to get a job in this field but they do not care as long as they get your money.

Right now I'm out of work and I have no intention of getting a job unless I find something that pays a living wage. I would rather panhandle then be taken advantage of. With the wages that these people are offering now and days, it's not like I'm not going to be living under a bridge sooner or later. Google "Rufus Hannah." This is what my future has in store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brentmcf in Canmore, Alberta

50 months ago

Phanique Dupree in Neptune, New Jersey said: I have a hvac certification, EPA , and a 410a Liceince is an Hvac union worth getting into. If so how easy is it to get in.

Yes it is join the United Association of Plumbers and Pipe Fitters. Here in Canada it is not difficult to get in but do not know of the US. It is a little tight job wise in Canada too. Personally looking myself
Good luck and be detirmined.
Brent

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy Hat in Crystal Lake, Illinois

49 months ago

jon in Chicago, Illinois said: Yea well my honest days of working in the trade for the past 10 years have gotten me laid off. Pipefitters 597 in chicago pays journeyman over $43 an hour. Unfortunately that is the reason why all the union shops out here are dying, they are way overpriced to customers compared to nonunion shops in my area. I have 10 years in the trade, 5 years nonunion and the past 5 in the union.. been laid off from the union for the past 5 months and they still expect me to pay my dues while doing NOTHING to help me find a job. Its all about the company you work for, whether they are union or not, if they take care of you then thats all that matters.
You worked non-union for five years then knocked on 597's door why? You must have liked that they set the standard in Chicago you probably liked the pay and the benefits but now you are out of work. So are a lot of other HVAC personell. Have you tried to increase your skill level? 597 Training Center's parking lot is full every night. Go ahead and blame the Union for no work never mind a crappy economy and your lack of skills. A lot of us have had to endure less than 40 hours or unemployment. So put your Union Card in your boot go back and work rat; lower the standards for the Industry. Then whine that you have no pension to retire on. Four Seasons is looking for Furnace replacement specialist. Practice this "Mam your heat exchanger is cracked you are endangering your family by allowing excessive Carbon Monoxide into your house"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jack

49 months ago

I worked in a local 18 sheetmetal union for 12 yrs .The union reps will screw you over to get their friends a job.So, their layed off list is a joke.I worked nonunion for 5 yrs, I got paid less but at least I could leave my job at the end of the day without having 50 knifes thrown in my back by union employes.So good luck to anyone joining the local 18 sheetmetal union

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Theodore in Hickory, North Carolina

49 months ago

Next year I'm suppose to go to community college for a year for HVAC, is that a bad choice in North Carolina. I been reading the comments in the forum. Also will the HVAC field employers hire a person with a felony drug conviction? I was told that the residental side of it and working on the residental side was out, because of the drug conviction, the commerical side was the only choice for me, is that true? Also, this is not a good field to go into, I always see ads for hiring? Whats the best way to get employment here in North Carolina?

brentmcf in Canmore, Alberta

49 months ago

Theodore in Hickory, North Carolina said: Next year I'm suppose to go to community college for a year for HVAC, is that a bad choice in North Carolina. I been reading the comments in the forum. Also will the HVAC field employers hire a person with a felony drug conviction? I was told that the residental side of it and working on the residental side was out, because of the drug conviction, the commerical side was the only choice for me, is that true? Also, this is not a good field to go into, I always see ads for hiring? Whats the best way to get employment here in North Carolina?

From my past experience it was never easy to get employed after college. But you are still better than the next guy without the diploma. The drug conviction is not good as you can not be bonded I think, usually also civil service jobs are out. Hopefully in time you may be able to have the conviction pardoned . Canada allows this if you have been a good boy for a long time, clean drug tests etc.
Be determined and you may succeed, when you get a job show up on time every day straight and sober not hung over, our work requires the worker to be alert all the time it can be very dangerous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chrismartin1978 in Mississauga, Ontario

48 months ago

tom in Edwardsville, Illinois said: yeah. i don't mean to sound a debbie downer, but i've been to a couple of the parts houses, they all say the same thing lol. "i dunno man - leave me your resume maybe i'll hear something"...

LOL your not alone in thinking this way. :cheers:

Sonya in Spring Grove, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

BRIAN in Germantown, Maryland said: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE UNION FOR HVAC IN MD

My husband works for the Sheet metal workers local 100 which is Baltimore/DC. Benefits are wonderful, pay is great compared to his previous non union pay which was about $9 less per hour. The only complaints either of us have are the unpaid holidays (which if your considered DC you get paid holidays) and the fact that they (in the last couple years) took away the vacation fund (which just means less deducted from your check weekly). Union dues are very inexpensive ($36/month). They can be found on the web at smwlocal100.com/.

radical fellow in Chatsworth, California

45 months ago

i have experianced all types of bone headedness and discriminations in various construction industries-trades.

we got good old boys and the sporter heads much like the game junkies ..then the high fiver knuckel hand bump guys..

i had some forman refuse me saying i didnt look like a construction worker type ????.

there are schools both propritory-pay and city free that teach constrution trades, they are very good .. the sorry problem is there has always been too many graduates -workers , this is even during the so called good times....

big business always is crying that they dont have enough good workers .. this gives fresh applicats the false hope that they can make good money in the future ... its a pymirid scheam..

the only ones really winning and making out big are the ones at the top ..they always give lip service with hope to those climbing there ladder to no where.....

just how much competition can you sustain .. when do you top out..how fast do you go before you drop dead..
yes freedom and capitalism , just who is getting fat now??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.