Getting into an hvac union

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 69 of 69)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

carl in Suitland, Maryland

61 months ago

I have doing hvacr f over 10 years its good to b working f a hvacr comp to get more experience so that u can learn more there is a lot to know and it pay good

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Vina in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

eugene in Conyers, Georgia said: The four year technical school the union provides is free, and you would be making about half of $29.70 an hour, going to school one night a week, first two years and two nights a week when you started your welding class in the third year of your apprenticeship.

What is the total package wage. My husband works for local 28 in NYC, and we want to move to Atlanta, Ga. We have also heard that there isn't a lot of work there. Is that true?

Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Greenbelt, Maryland

57 months ago

Im looking to make a serious career change. I'm interested in the havc trade. Can't seem to get a solid union hallfor hvac. I have thought about going to a community college to take some classes which gets you NATE certified. Is NATE certifications good to have to getting my foot in the door in the industry. Is it recognized in the DMV. Also, what is the take away in doing so as it relates to salary. We all need money to take care of our families.

Reply - Report abuse

recruiterwoo@*****.*** in Annandale, Virginia

57 months ago

BRIAN in Germantown, Maryland said: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE UNION FOR HVAC IN MD

Hi Brian,

I am not experienced with a local union however I am a contractor hiring for apprentice, Junior Technicians, Technicians, Senior Technicians and Field Supervisors in DC, MD and VA.

If you are qualified and interested please send me your resume to recruiterwoo@gmail.com

Best,
Megna

Reply - Report abuse

CASSIUS in Attleboro, Massachusetts

51 months ago

I'm a 48 yr old man very fit currently working as a fitness trainer , however was a welder for 8 yrs on subs also have a bachelors degree in business management thinking about a career than can complement my degree I have awesome sales skills, and very good with my hands my concern is my age any help comments please

Reply - Report abuse

sloan Edwards in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

Well am a wife of an hvac tech in Maryland he works for an apartment complex we get 50% off rent and utilities inclu. So its actually a great career so just keep looking in trying hospitals hire hvac apartments hire hvac hotels schools so u just have to venture out

Reply - Report abuse

yoakim1211 in Bronx, New York

37 months ago

I some how got lucky and was able to get an interview with local 28 SMW union in NYC.coming in as an apprentice, my question is how long after taking the drug test(which I passed, got the results yesterday) will they take to call me? And what term would I be coming in as? Pls help me answer these unanswered questions.Because all they said was we'll call you.but I'm like ready to quit my non union job like yesterday.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mohamed in Arlington, Virginia

36 months ago

KNIGHT in Arlington, Virginia said: Need serious help on getting cfc certification. I am in the virginia and dc area. how can i get certification other than joining a union. I would like to get it as quick as possible any info?

Check with aireco supplies in your area I took it 2 years ago it cost me 70$ only plus 10 dollar for the book

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Matt in NJ in Maple Shade, New Jersey

35 months ago

Brian in Mount Laurel, New Jersey said: Just go to work and give an honest day of work and you will stay employed. Unions are the best thing going for any worker in America. Its what this country was built on. Look now adays there are less and less of unions workers around, and nobody has health care no one is getting good pay (except the ceos) and there are illegal immigrants all over doing a crappy job for pennies. Stand up voice your rights and GO UNION>

Brian I was curious if you in a union in New Jersey. If so, was it hard to get into? I have all my certificates for hvac from school. I want to get in the union it just seems like in NJ you need to know someone. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
Matt in NJ

Reply - Report abuse

jh in Eagle, Wisconsin

31 months ago

I Myself have been struggling to obtain long term career in HVAC field after just graduating and having massive debt, among house payments, car payments, ya-da,ya-da,ya-da, until I was ready to give up, and not work for pennies, I want as much time with my family as possible, One day I decided to look for a method I could become successful on my own, I am a very skeptical person, and do not like being hosed, and found a reliable source to helping me achieve my financial freedom and success, I am now on my way to really enjoying life because of this find and would like to share this with some people, this will not happen overnight but if given some time hard work and efforts you will be able to achieve success on your own,you will have every tool needed to get there as well as being surrounded by extremely excellent help, does not cost anything to get going copy and paste the link bit.ly/helpingyasurvive

Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Florissant, Missouri

28 months ago

In my area its all about education. I go to Ranken Tech. and hvac company hire students after one semester as a helper. Some company only hire from Ranken in stl. I know 3 personally that got jobs day after graduation starting at 22/hr non union. As for getting into the union, you have to know someone is what it comes down to.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Springfield, Ohio

25 months ago

Useless Unions in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Stay away from the unions! Right now there are over 470 HVAC people on the bench in my union. The people on the bench are forbidden to look for work in their field on their own, you have to wait for the union to find you a job. In the mean time they still have to pay union dues. The medical benefits are terrible. Their is a $25 co-pay per office visit with a family deductable of $6000. We could of had better and cheaper insurance thru my spouse but you can not opt out of the unions insurance. My insurance package cost over $7 a hour, if you do the math and look at the co-pays and deductable this is no bargain.
You also have to remember you are not treated as a human...you are a piece of equipment in their eyes and you are very disposable. The union does not help the members...the stories you hear that the union reps are only in it for them is VERY TRUE!
If you value your rights and your freedom...stay away!

A

Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Springfield, Ohio

25 months ago

I want to respond to the person who said people belonging to unions have no freedoms. I belong to local 33 sheetmetal workers in Cleveland. It is true that work is slow and some members are unemployed but we are by no means restricted from searching for work. The thing to keep in mind though is if you take training and all kinds of night classes to become a highly skilled hvac tech and sheetmetal installer your schooling is paid for by the UNION. You are very free to go to a non union shop anytime you want as long as your willing to pay that money back. I am so sick of people who never belonged to any kind of organization let alone a Union go around talking smack about something they know absolutely nothing about. I am free to contact any local 33 member company to search for work while unemployed. And if you would like to seek self employment they are more than happy to do all they can to help you out. Where do these people come from that think unions should run up at tab of thousands of dollars in schooling at no cost to members so that member can up a quit and give a non Union company the Benifits of the profits a no cost?

Reply - Report abuse

miker in Hinesville, Georgia

24 months ago

alex r. said: Hi my name is alex and I'm currently looking for anpprentice job. Truthfully I would work for under the tabel below minimum wage. I'm a student at lincoln tech hvac program in union nj. If anyone can help me please email me at richardson.alejandro@gmail.com. Anything is appreciated

Princeton air is a decent company to work for. They constantly hire guys right out of school. I started working there with 3 years experience and I started at 21.50 an hour. The only downfall is they work you to death. I had a 93 hr week this past summer. If you dont mind the work the pay is good and all the overtime you want...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Brandon in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

19 months ago

To any new people looking to start in the HVAC field. Please listen to what I have to say. One day I was bored on the internet and looking at random entry level skilled trades jobs on craigslist. I forwarded my resume to a HVAC job starting for pre-apprentices at $12 an hour. They called me right away, setup an interview and after talking to them and selling them on my capabilities and work ethics, I told them this "Listen, I like the way this job sounds.. If I were a journeyman that is. I cant afford to start at $12 an hour, so if you can get me an apprenticeship right away through the union so I can start at $16 an hour, then I will do this." They asked if I had a diploma, I said no. They PAID for me to get a ged that week and my accuplacer, got me into the union within a WEEK.

I then started my first job working on a hospital for the next 18 months, afterwards I started a job working on a new Walmart for the next 14 months. Now I'm almost to my 3rd year. sitting at $22 an hour with full benefits and a company vehicle.

The whole point of this, do NOT waste time going to college.. jobs are out there, just be smart and willing to work.

Reply - Report abuse

Need a job in Altamonte Springs, Florida

19 months ago

My husband is looking to get into a union we are in homosassa fl he worked for a vac company for 4 years as a sheet metal fabricator in mo he loved doing sheet metal and wanting to get back into it we just don't know where to start.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

andraebooker in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

14 months ago

broke and in debt in Wood River, Illinois said: it just really pi$$es me off because the school i went to - ranken technical college - tells everyone that comes to look at the school that they're going to bend over backwards helping you get a job, and that they have these astronomical employment placement rates, i think i read on last years' catalog "4.79 jobs per graduate" for the HVAC program.
and they haven't done a DAMN thing to help me get a job, and to be honest i think it's more like "4.79 graduates per job".
i think these schools should be able to be held legally responsible for lying to people to convince them to borrow money to come to their school.
i mean christ - 25 grand is 40% of my mortgage balance.
i've had ONE interview over this summer for a job relating to HVAC, and they asked me point blank in the interview "we know people can go through ranken and not do anything and still get C's - were you one of these people?"
i mean jesus lol - that should tell you something about the difference of the image ranken tries to project, and what is reality lol.

I hate to tell you this but you got misled by a for profit technical school...that same certificate/associates degree in hvac can be had at you local junior/community college for much less than half of that.....it pays to do research on your institutions i'm from mississippi but I work for a large privately owned hvac company and we see this constantly some of our best techs are high school drop outs who got their GEDs then when to community college for a year and a half for 2500 dollars a semester then signed on as a helper after a couple years got their own trucks...but we also have techs that paid 20-30 k for a certificate that isn't any more valuable than the community college....I hope you didn't pay them to help you fill out financial aid applications too

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Larry in Greenbelt, Maryland said: Im looking to make a serious career change. I'm interested in the havc trade. Can't seem to get a solid union hallfor hvac . I have thought about going to a community college to take some classes which gets you NATE certified. Is NATE certifications good to have to getting my foot in the door in the industry. Is it recognized in the DMV. Also, what is the take away in doing so as it relates to salary. We all need money to take care of our families.

definitely go the community college route and avoid expensive for profit schools like apex and devry you will receive the same training and the certificate associates degree from the community college will probably be more accredited than what you get from a for-profit technical school plus you can save yourself tens of thousands of dollars in debt and loans

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Need a job in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: My husband is looking to get into a union we are in homosassa fl he worked for a vac company for 4 years as a sheet metal fabricator in mo he loved doing sheet metal and wanting to get back into it we just don't know where to start.

try a state community/jr college program and avoid expensive for-profit technical schools and definitely research the schools(if the school is constantly advertising about career placement avoid them) he could also apply for helper positions the pay will be low but its a start

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.