Getting into an hvac union

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 91 of 91)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

mike from philly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

i work for a nonprofit who is getting A.R.R.A STIMULUS MONEY .MY PROBLEM IS THEY SAID WE WOULD BE GETTING COMPARBLE UNION WAGES . I BELIEVE THIS IS NOT THE CASE BECAUSE THE HIGHEST WAGES I HAVE GOTTEN WAS $ 20.30 AND THAT WAS ONLY BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE ANY BENEFITS AT THE TIME . NOW I GET $ 17.68 I BELIEVE AS A WORKER WHO IS EXPECTED TO TROUBLESHOOT , INSTALL ,BOTH HYDRONIC, STEAM BOILERS , AND THE LATEST 90+ AND BELOW FURNACES AND RELATED PLUMBING ie radators .I should be making around $ 67.00 per hour. What do you think? our carpenters roofers and plumbers make from 43.00 to 60.00 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

union yes in Chester, New York

42 months ago

Phanique Dupree in Neptune, New Jersey said: I have a hvac certification, EPA , and a 410a Liceince is an Hvac union worth getting into. If so how easy is it to get in.

EFFECTIVE DATE: January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011
Wage and Fringe Benefit Rates are as follows:
Classification
Rate
H & W
H.R.A.*
Local
Pension
Vacation
Annuity
Ed
Admin
IND
Nat’l
Pension
Int’l Training Fund
Total Package
Journeyman
$32.50
$53.04
5th Year Appr.
$29.07
$49.09
4th Year Appr.
$27.11
$46.64
3rd Year Appr.
$22.17
$40.73
2nd Year Appr.
$17.61
$35.27
1st Year Appr.
$15.12
$32.24
Toolperson
$14.97
--
--
--
--
---
$28.05
*H.R.A. (Health Reimbursement Assistance) is part of the Welfare Fund. It is being segregated for accounting purposes only.
* THE NATIONAL PENSION / INTERNATIONAL TRAINING FUND CONTRIBUTIONS ARE BASED ON HOURS WORKED ***
** Please note the following funds Vacation, Admin are taxable. They should be added to the base wage rate and after the appropriate taxes are withheld, DEDUCT GROSS AMOUNT FROM PAY. The gross contribution amount should be remitted to the fund office along with all of the benefits above.**
SERVICE RATES 2011

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

drew in Chester, New York

42 months ago

Phanique Dupree in Neptune, New Jersey said: I have a hvac certification, EPA , and a 410a Liceince is an Hvac union worth getting into. If so how easy is it to get in.

ua local 21 35 hr plus 2.50hr in annuity and 2.50 vacation plus the pension. You tell me. $0 hours a week plus ot paid holidays and steady work. &100,000.00 a year. Union yes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eugene in Conyers, Georgia

41 months ago

It's not entirely about money. WHEN I started back in 1974 with SMWIA local 85 I wanted to learn a trade, and the school is provided for, doesn't cost the apprentices a thing to learn the trade, still the same way today. As for you, you are already a mechanic, so what they would do is put you in the light commercial department which only lasts 2 years. You would be making full benifits, which is a good retirement and good health insurance. If you were to be laid off by a company, you sign the books and go out to the next job when your name comes up. Naturally it would be first to sign, first to go out. Right now, like every industry work is slow, however during my days as a union sheet metal worker, I have lived through recessions before. Our union and our union contractors have a very good relationship going. There has been no strike in our union in decades.

I believe in letting a man or woman be union or nonunion whichever is their choice. I don't believe someone with your experience would have any trouble at all getting in with the union. My local is in Atlanta and we cover all of the State of Georgia and part of Alabama. GOOD LUCK to you which ever road you take.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

eugene in Conyers, Georgia

41 months ago

Rufus Hannah in Alton, Illinois said: You may as well get a job at McDonald's. Without a doubt you would have a hell of a lot better chance of getting hired. Plus the pay would be about the same as an entry level HVAC tech and you would not have to supply your own tools. Maybe after a few years you could work your way into management and then you will be making the big bucks.

I think what these trade schools are doing is borderline illegal. They no damn good and well when you sign up that you are more than likely not going to get a job in this field but they do not care as long as they get your money.

Right now I'm out of work and I have no intention of getting a job unless I find something that pays a living wage. I would rather panhandle then be taken advantage of. With the wages that these people are offering now and days, it's not like I'm not going to be living under a bridge sooner or later. Google "Rufus Hannah." This is what my future has in store.

The four year technical school the union provides is free, and you would be making about half of $29.70 an hour, going to school one night a week, first two years and two nights a week when you started your welding class in the third year of your apprenticeship.

papalia plumbing in Acton, Massachusetts

40 months ago

we are currently looking for a hvac tech in acton mass anyone with experience mostly residential send resume to papaliaplumbing.com must be able to be on call and work monday-friday

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

WageslaveZ in Detroit, Michigan

40 months ago

I hate to sound negative, but my HVAC degree is little better than toilet paper in Michigan. Also wish I spent my $400 of useless EPA, R-410A, ESCOs, and NATE core on bills or gas. Every single employer I've walked into told me they didn't care if I had a Bachelor's from Ferris State, they won't hire anyone without five years of experience. So the whole point of an HVAC degree in my state is to basically help the Good Ol' Boy club of service and installer techs keep their jobs when their bosses force them to get a degree. Didn't help either that No Worker Left Behind forced me into HVAC when I had 5 other career paths they supposedly approved, but shot down because they had to put as many heads into the program to get their allotment of Obama dollars. Doesn't help that I just turned 30 and have ZERO experience in that GD field and will never get any before I'm 40. Thought about joining the Local 80 Sheet Metal workers, but they haven't taken apprentices since 2009 because of the @55tacular economy around here. Same diff with the 636 Pipefitters. Actually took their nutbuster entrance exam in 2008, bricked horribly on it because nobody told me they had 100 questions of sheet metal pattern questions which you literally had 30 seconds each to answer. Got royally screwed by the IBEW Local 58. I'm "eligible" for apprenticeship till April 2013, but I have to either somehow get 1000 hours of scab time or pay out of my pocket for a blueprinting and a trade electrical class at MCC because I used up all my FAFSA money on my worthless Climate Control Tech degree. Doesn't help that the IBEW controls ALL the gravy jobs in the metro Detroit area, either. So HTH am I supposed to scab anywhere? My only hope is the MRCC 1102 Millwright apprenticeship, but at best I was told I had only 1/3 chance of getting it by the intake Journeymen in May. Been almost a month since I heard anything from them. Currently stuck working a woman's job at an optics coating lab making crap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

WageslaveZ in Detroit, Michigan

40 months ago

If anyone here thinks Johnson Controls will give them a reach-around, think again... I've applied a dozen times for chiller and service mechanic APPRENTICESHIPS and got shot down every time. Talked to some people at Oakland Community College and they all told me what I sort of knew about JCI already. They take Journeymen plumbers and electricians for those positions, wipe their @55 with their cards, shoot down their pay rates, and force them to start all over on some b@ll5h@t 1%er club union apprenticeship. The real kicker is JCI takes 5 weeks to tell you by e-mail to GFY. Kind of why I'm stuck working a dead-end QC job in optics with ZERO overtime because my kaizen-loving German conglomerate employer engineered a blue-collar job into a no-collar job. Anyone here thinking about HVAC for a career, GET INTO NURSING OR IT NOW! Save yourselves from the butt-hurt, lies, and disappointment. Unless you already have 5 years in the trade, you can't even get rock-bottom non-union work being someone's b@%^&.

BarbaraDerr@aol.com in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Bob B in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania said: The same thing is happening in PA they all want 3 to 7 years experience maybe you might try getting into an intern program that will help get your experience or go to hvac supply houses where the local contractors get their supplies and offer to work with them to get yoyr experience that way.

Try to consider a maintenance position for, grocery store or food warehouse chain, retirement community, high schools, college's, university that will help get the experience and also benefits

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BarbaraDerr@aol.com in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Try a maintenance position for a grocery store chain, food warehouse, college's, universities, hospital's this will help with the experience and benefits

WageslaveZ in Southfield, Michigan

39 months ago

No offense Miss Derr, but HVAC is basically DEAD to me as a career field. It's as close to a Webster's definition of non-starter as you can get. The grocery stores like Kroger and Meijer in Michigan all somehow want journeymen. HTH does one become a Journeyman in a trade where a frigging apprenticeship doesn't exist? As for colleges, they've got their own impossible union to get into, they're just AFSCME instead of IBEW or IBPFAP. Don't even get me started on apartment maintenance. How am I supposed to live, let alone have $5000 worth of tools on $10 an hour, while knowing FIVE trades, to basically be an on-call slave to a landlord and their section 8 attitude tenants?

dman44 in Toronto, Ontario

37 months ago

I seen a lot of people on here complaining they can't get into an hvac company due to lack of experience. What you guys need to remember is that all of us were in that boat at one point or another. I am 21 and I have my gas technician 2(in toronto that means servicing and installing equipment up to 400000 btu),
I spent 5 months looking for a job, called over 400 companies in the GTA and went through 3 terrible hvac jobs before i got to where I'm at now. Bottom line is, the more companies you call the better your chances. And make sure you call them back even if they aren't interested. The company i am with now took 3 callbacks before they knew how serious I was about finiding a job. I was selected out of 50 other applicants with resume's. Why? Because when they needed to hire someone, The one ringing there phone off every 2 weeks was the one that came to mind.
Now I almost have my hours for my G1 and am a second year refrigeration apprentice, and I absolutely love my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt H in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Hi dman44 I liked your story it was inspirational
I wanted to ask how did you go about your phone calls to them and calling them back, how did you handle them when you kept calling them back ?

if you can help me on this one that would help me so much Thank you for posting that so much and take care

"Kurt"

dman44 in Toronto, Ontario

37 months ago

haha Honestly its not hard to handle them. Most of the time you end up talking to the secretary when you call. This is not who you want to speak to. Always ask to speak to the person who is in charge of hiring. Even if they say there is nothing available ask them to keep you in mind if anything comes up in the future, and FOLLOW UP! This is a huge part of it. If you call back 3-4 times they start to remember who you are. They might be rude with you but thats fine, don't take it personally, just remember you are doing this for yourself. It does not matter what some person you talked to over the phone thinks of you, if you've done your homework, there should be plenty more phone calls to make, move on. Always be polite and Talk like a professional. Good Luck!

no unions in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Ed in Abington, Massachusetts said: I graduated with an Associate Degree in HVAC and i'm really having a hard time finding a job. All i keep hearing is NO JOB EXPERIANCE. I live in Boston,MA and have decided to join an apprentice program but don't really know where to go or where to start from. I really need your advise guys. Life is getting very tough every single day

Go to a right to work state, such as here in Texas, and get paid better, have better benefits, and lots of work!

Biomed JJ in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

35 months ago

If you have electronics experience (AC & DC) then you might apply for an internship position with GE Healthcare repairing medical equipment. GE has a one year *paid* internship (around $16-17 an hour) depends on the area of the USA that lasts one year and they usually hire you on full-time at the 6th month period if you work hard and got a good attitude/work ethic. You get a $2 raise when you become full-time.

The more training you get the more you make per hour. Some work 'in house' at a hospital while other biomeds are out on the road every day doing field service repairing specialized medical equipment. The benefits at GE are amazing (health, dental, retirement, tuition reimbursement, training, LTD insurance....etc,etc. If you have a 2 year degree you can apply for a biomed intern position cause I notice many people in this field are getting close to retirement age and this is a job that you won't get laid off from. Even if equipment does NOT break down.... were are still testing and doing calibrations to make sure it is 100% functional are ready to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thezig in Minneapolis, Minnesota

35 months ago

Useless Unions in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Stay away from the unions! Right now there are over 470 HVAC people on the bench in my union. The people on the bench are forbidden to look for work in their field on their own, you have to wait for the union to find you a job. In the mean time they still have to pay union dues. The medical benefits are terrible. Their is a $25 co-pay per office visit with a family deductable of $6000. We could of had better and cheaper insurance thru my spouse but you can not opt out of the unions insurance. My insurance package cost over $7 a hour, if you do the math and look at the co-pays and deductable this is no bargain.
You also have to remember you are not treated as a human...you are a piece of equipment in their eyes and you are very disposable. The union does not help the members...the stories you hear that the union reps are only in it for them is VERY TRUE!
If you value your rights and your freedom...stay away!

America is a union of fifty states! The pipefitters union in mn. is a great place to start, ignore this untrue reply to stay away from unions I make over 100,000. a year and my employer loves my work preformance. I love my job,my union and my country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Need Good People in MD in Pompano Beach, Florida

35 months ago

I'm not into the union thing but, you guys are discussing a lot of people are benched. I have work but can't find good, trustworthy and reliable people that can pass a background check. I need people yesterday and can't find anybody. How is that? It's a struggle, even trying to hire from the trade schools!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jobchange in Washington, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

It is hard to find a job in all feilds today. I earned a masters in business and can't get an interview and was thinking of getting HVAC training and starting my own residential company.
So questions. 1. Are there intense Hvac training programs that are 10-20 weeks long instead of 2 years.

ariasullivan in Orem, Utah

34 months ago

I'm just getting into the <a href="www.Nicholson-HVAC.com">HVAC</a> business. Are there different unions in every state or is there one national union?

Randy in Merrimack, New Hampshire

33 months ago

I'm in the SMW union. I have the best Dental you could ever find, and BCBS health ins and free prescriptions. My Dentist drives a Porsche. We have stewards that are slumps and can't lay them off because the are protected by the union. All the men are protected against unfair labor practices. The union highly regards all it's workers. I've never ever even heard of men being treated like equipment in my over 30 years with the union trades. And when your laid off you can go work doing something else. No on said you can't work. And if you make some calls you can solicit your own work. Every body does it. The union packages differ from area to area and they get renegotiated every 3 - 4 years. The body (Membership= you the member) get to vote and have your voice heard at contract time and your representatives will bargain for what you want including wages and benefits. Don't go bashing unions across the board because you either have a crummy package that you had to vote on. Unless you must be a non union rat that hates unions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jrcruza in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

Dose anyone know if there's a hvac union in Houston tx?

T Murdock in Baltimore, Maryland

33 months ago

Local 486 in baltimore and local 602 in dc are the HVAC unions. 602 pay better but you will get the same apprenticeship training. 602 first year apprentice starting hourly wage is $18.67 working your way up to $37 will you become a journeymen. Just google both for more info

Special_J in Fresno, California

33 months ago

I had a couple questions about the pipe fitters union, I have been looking into joining the pipe fitters union in san jose CA and I knoe alot of this talk is from north east so it might be a little different but i want to know #1 what all in depth will i be tested on for the aptitude test and #2 does the pipe fitters union cover all the HVAC related curriculum and certifications like EPA. I did just graduate from a trade school for my AS degree in HVAC/R but this seems to be my best route

theezig in Chanhassen, Minnesota

33 months ago

most use the wonderlic?? test V???? depends on the union what training you will get in minnesota, you might be a welder/construction worker/service tech(residential or commercial) there is lots of paths to take but you won't be trained in all areas, too much to know and you can't be good at everything...

HUP 2,3,4 in San Mateo, California

32 months ago

every thing said is very true and even much worse ,

even after getting some experiance , the companies have totaly unrealistic employee expatations.

companies, owners, leaders and foremen are out of control !

you will never meet the ideal expetations of human relations-personel,
requirs of a new hire !

unions are arrogent and refuse to accept most experiance unless you have worked for there biggest competors.

with the wide varity of equipment avaliable you will always lack the exact experiance a company wants unless you have personnel connections to open a closed door.

this over supplying of fresh graduates in not new , flooding of market is an old trick the companies like.. yes having too many applicants is good for big business.
now think of the poor guys who joined the military to get experiance and most of it is worthless to the construction business ..

be extra aware of filing fees and testing fees ,,

look out for CRAIGLIST ads ..everyone needs to start answering them ads with trash responces ..make a new email address to answer un-named craiglist helpwanted junk ads and give them news .
learn what the word endentured means and how the unions use it to there best advantage ..

UNION schooling is not free, you must work hours to pay them back or pay cash ...

UNLESS WE ALL SHOUT IT OUT LOUD.
EVERY DAY NO ONE WILL LISTEN OR REMEMBER OUR PLIGHT .

this dirty ugly story must be told to every one ,
lest any one forgets .

PROJECT MANAGEMENT IS OUR ENEMY ,it is they who want to lay off good workes at the end of a phase !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt H in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

I'm not against "project management is our enemy" since I come from an organization that runs behind it and more and I'm some what tempted to spill the beans to you guy's

for all the things that make little sense or no sense at all

just ask

GREEN in Perth Amboy, New Jersey

32 months ago

any sucsess stories??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

macheesemo in Massapequa, New York

31 months ago

Long Island, New York... went to a 10 month long trade school for HVAC/R, graduated 12/2010. Found work in the HVAC/R field 2/2011... company van, overtime, health benefits given after 6 months, uniforms... all my boss asks for is 110% effort and he is willing to train. non union..the pay is not the highest $14.00 but I've learned so much that's all that matters right now.

browndwight@yahoo.com in Kingston, Jamaica

31 months ago

I HAVE RECENTLY COMPLETED A DIPLOMA IN HVAC AT A COLLEGE IN THE USA. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT ROUTE TO TAKE IN ORDER TO WORK IN USA. I AM LIVING IN JAMAICA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

carl in Suitland, Maryland

31 months ago

I have doing hvacr f over 10 years its good to b working f a hvacr comp to get more experience so that u can learn more there is a lot to know and it pay good

carl in Suitland, Maryland

31 months ago

I have doing hvacr f over 10 years its good to b working f a hvacr comp to get more experience so that u can learn more there is a lot to know and it pay good

Vina in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

eugene in Conyers, Georgia said: The four year technical school the union provides is free, and you would be making about half of $29.70 an hour, going to school one night a week, first two years and two nights a week when you started your welding class in the third year of your apprenticeship.

What is the total package wage. My husband works for local 28 in NYC, and we want to move to Atlanta, Ga. We have also heard that there isn't a lot of work there. Is that true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Greenbelt, Maryland

28 months ago

Im looking to make a serious career change. I'm interested in the havc trade. Can't seem to get a solid union hallfor hvac. I have thought about going to a community college to take some classes which gets you NATE certified. Is NATE certifications good to have to getting my foot in the door in the industry. Is it recognized in the DMV. Also, what is the take away in doing so as it relates to salary. We all need money to take care of our families.

recruiterwoo@gmail.com in Annandale, Virginia

27 months ago

BRIAN in Germantown, Maryland said: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE UNION FOR HVAC IN MD

Hi Brian,

I am not experienced with a local union however I am a contractor hiring for apprentice, Junior Technicians, Technicians, Senior Technicians and Field Supervisors in DC, MD and VA.

If you are qualified and interested please send me your resume to recruiterwoo@gmail.com

Best,
Megna

CASSIUS in Attleboro, Massachusetts

22 months ago

I'm a 48 yr old man very fit currently working as a fitness trainer , however was a welder for 8 yrs on subs also have a bachelors degree in business management thinking about a career than can complement my degree I have awesome sales skills, and very good with my hands my concern is my age any help comments please

sloan Edwards in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

Well am a wife of an hvac tech in Maryland he works for an apartment complex we get 50% off rent and utilities inclu. So its actually a great career so just keep looking in trying hospitals hire hvac apartments hire hvac hotels schools so u just have to venture out

yoakim1211 in Bronx, New York

8 months ago

I some how got lucky and was able to get an interview with local 28 SMW union in NYC.coming in as an apprentice, my question is how long after taking the drug test(which I passed, got the results yesterday) will they take to call me? And what term would I be coming in as? Pls help me answer these unanswered questions.Because all they said was we'll call you.but I'm like ready to quit my non union job like yesterday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mohamed in Arlington, Virginia

7 months ago

KNIGHT in Arlington, Virginia said: Need serious help on getting cfc certification. I am in the virginia and dc area. how can i get certification other than joining a union. I would like to get it as quick as possible any info?

Check with aireco supplies in your area I took it 2 years ago it cost me 70$ only plus 10 dollar for the book

Matt in NJ in Maple Shade, New Jersey

5 months ago

Brian in Mount Laurel, New Jersey said: Just go to work and give an honest day of work and you will stay employed. Unions are the best thing going for any worker in America. Its what this country was built on. Look now adays there are less and less of unions workers around, and nobody has health care no one is getting good pay (except the ceos) and there are illegal immigrants all over doing a crappy job for pennies. Stand up voice your rights and GO UNION>

Brian I was curious if you in a union in New Jersey. If so, was it hard to get into? I have all my certificates for hvac from school. I want to get in the union it just seems like in NJ you need to know someone. Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
Matt in NJ

jh in Eagle, Wisconsin

1 month ago

I Myself have been struggling to obtain long term career in HVAC field after just graduating and having massive debt, among house payments, car payments, ya-da,ya-da,ya-da, until I was ready to give up, and not work for pennies, I want as much time with my family as possible, One day I decided to look for a method I could become successful on my own, I am a very skeptical person, and do not like being hosed, and found a reliable source to helping me achieve my financial freedom and success, I am now on my way to really enjoying life because of this find and would like to share this with some people, this will not happen overnight but if given some time hard work and efforts you will be able to achieve success on your own,you will have every tool needed to get there as well as being surrounded by extremely excellent help, does not cost anything to get going copy and paste the link bit.ly/helpingyasurvive

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.