HVAC Career PRO's vs. CON's anyone?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 151)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Hvacsvc in Rensselaer, Indiana

60 months ago

I agree with much of what Colorado has stated. I personnaly like 'older' guys as an employer as there seems to be a higher element of drama the younger ones bring to the shop from home. The younger playstation generation expects instant top pay without paying the necessary dues it takes to learn the craft. Just my opinion.

Colorado mentioned commercial/Industrial. YES! As a Resi/ Lt Commercial shop I couldnt concur more. If you have the mind set to do Comm Refrigeration another great avenue of high demand. I personally know I dont have the patients it takes to do that area of the trade to make repair/adjustments and then pull up a bucket and wait for the results.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I personally am looking to fill a lead man spot. Service/Install
some sheet metal fab experience a real plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Daytondave in Dayton, Ohio

58 months ago

Hvac Pro in Las Vegas, Nevada said: [quote]
DaytonDave in Dayton, Ohio
qualified for a program through unemployment to send me back to school for training in another field. They would pay for all of the cost of the schooling plus allowed me to draw pretty much my regular pay of what i was making while going to school. I had no clue what to take, i took HVAC. I probably should have researched it better.

Dave, can you say what kind of program has this benefit, available?
you can post it here if you can possibly?

I take it you mean the program that paid to send me to school? Its available for people who have become permanently unemployed due to the company they work for closing, moving out of state/country, or just simply downsizing. There are several programs-the two best are TAA and WIA. They will pay for up to two years of schooling or retraining in a field of your choice while still allowing you to draw your unemployment the entire time you are going to school. Its a great deal and most people dont even know it exists, just make sure the course you are taking is going to work out for you in the long run.
You can probably find out more about it through your local unemployment office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Daytondave in Dayton, Ohio

58 months ago

coloradohvac in Parker, Colorado said:
There can be on ocasion overtime but it all depends on the shop you work for. Try to get more into the comercial/industrial side. It's the residental guys that crawl on their knees. Yes at first you will earn $14 an hour. But in 5 years you should be around $30. Plus you should get a company vehicle with FREE gas. Then there are 3 more levels you can acheive above that which will put around $35 an hour and by the time you get to that point the cost of living increases should put you over $40.

Those pay rates seem totally off the scale for anything i have seen in my area/state. Maybe im misunderstanding you but you are saying a new guy in your area can make $14 a hour, and a guy with a few years experience under his belt can get $30 a hour? A new guy/apprentice in my city/state, it seems like they only want to pay you minimum wage (if that!) like 7 bucks a hour. Ive talked to guys who have been doing it for 4-5 years and are finally getting up to around 14-15 a hour-if they are with a good company. 30 bucks a hour? Not around here. It is very discouraging for the new guy starting out when he is offered a job at such low wages. Hey, i understand that you cant start out on the top of the pay scale and i dont expect to but then again who on earth can honestly make a living on $7 a hour with no insurance benefits? Walmart pays better than that.
Maybe im wrong but damn, i only wish they would pay what you are quoting in my state. Things are hard right now, $14 bucks a hour would be a dream come true for many guys i know.
Im sorry if i sound like im venting or being rude, and im not trying to dispute what you are saying. Its just the way the economy is these days and seeing so many people out of work that really gets to me at times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Daytondave in Dayton, Ohio said: Those pay rates seem totally off the scale for anything i have seen in my area/state. Maybe im misunderstanding you but you are saying a new guy in your area can make $14 a hour, and a guy with a few years experience under his belt can get $30 a hour? A new guy/apprentice in my city/state, it seems like they only want to pay you minimum wage (if that!) like 7 bucks a hour. Ive talked to guys who have been doing it for 4-5 years and are finally getting up to around 14-15 a hour-if they are with a good company. 30 bucks a hour? Not around here. It is very discouraging for the new guy starting out when he is offered a job at such low wages. Hey, i understand that you cant start out on the top of the pay scale and i dont expect to but then again who on earth can honestly make a living on $7 a hour with no insurance benefits? Walmart pays better than that.
Maybe im wrong but damn, i only wish they would pay what you are quoting in my state. Things are hard right now, $14 bucks a hour would be a dream come true for many guys i know.
Im sorry if i sound like im venting or being rude, and im not trying to dispute what you are saying. Its just the way the economy is these days and seeing so many people out of work that really gets to me at times.

Dave I think your understanding what many guys dont. Pay scale varies from area to area. A company cant pay anymore than that particular market will bare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Hvac Pro in Las Vegas, Nevada

58 months ago

Dayton Dave,
Thanks for your reply it was appreciated!
It is good to have someone that is not pulling any punches and honest.
there are so many fakes and wannabes running around attacking others without knowing wtf they are talking about, dont pay any attention to them
they are usually some dirt bag contractor trying to cheat their techs ... they try to play like the market wont bear this or that...

when they are playing dumb, of course we all know the market will bare only so much.
then again, nothing is free and the cost of living goes up with or without what the market can bare.

so , very well put.

thanks again. many guys want to know about these type of programs to help them with school to work for a company that can share the wealth of what the market does provide.

HvacrTalk.com is a site to discuss these topics or post your info to help others , thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

coloradohvac in Parker, Colorado

58 months ago

Heres the deal guys without any punches. The education is awesome and free through those programs,knowlege is always good. BUT BE WARNED! You will not get hired at top journeyman pay just about anywhere because you still won't have completed a mandatory Department Of Labor Apprenticeship. In order to even obtain your state journeyman license the state needs to see documented proof of on the job experiance, usually 8000 hours(4 years). It is possible you can put yourself in a very difficult market possition if you get the education and expect more than a first year apprentice job. Which will still require you to go to school that should be paid by the employer anyways. Not to mention apprentices are cheap and balance out an employers workforce which results in job security plus there have been fewer aprentices which means a high demand for them. If you want something get your EPA universal cert.

To comment about Daytondave. Keep in mind where you live and the market. Ohio is an area where you can buy a home for $100,000 and is hit hard with unemployed home owners from the manufacturing sector. A place like Colorado where the median home price is more than $450,000 and has alot of jobs in the less than affected telecomunications,biotech,and technology sectors means a healthier and higher paying market. Because of this market Denver area has a large number of office high rises that have to have comercial service techs which generally get paid more. Everyone of those $450,000 homes have both heat,ac,and humidification requiring all residental service techs to know all aspecs of hvac resulting in higher pay for the knowlege.

I do have to say, I grew up in Wisconsin which should be a similar market to Ohio and I know journeyman service techs are starting out around $23-$25 an hour there. If your market is that bad it might be an option to relocate. The Workforce Centers also have programs to pay for all your relocation costs when you are a dislocated worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

chris lead a/c in florida in Interlachen, Florida

58 months ago

i have been in hvac since 1983 ..cert. universal in 1993.. in service field since...good luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

chris lead a/c in florida in Interlachen, Florida said: i have been in hvac since 1983 ..cert. universal in 1993.. in service field since...good luck...

Chris you are lead ac installer or tech?

for residential or commercial or both?

is the money there any good? i hear horror stories of florida people cant make it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Colorado and Florida , appear to be hiring there seems to be many hvac jobs available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

weldit777 in Evansville, Indiana

58 months ago

I'm in my early 20's and considering making a change from welding to hvac. will my welding background help in hvac? also i'm considering taking a 2 semester program to get certified, or should i get an associate to break into the field. appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

HVAC Res/foreman/instructor in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Pro's:every day is diffrent to a point, no office cubical, get to meet diffrent people, pay can be good once you have the exp., you learn something new all the time.
Con's: dirty, sweaty, freezing, wet, banging your head, you get the pitchure.
The HVAC/R industry is ever evolving and it is the only trade that you need to know every trade to a point.
Don't think that a degree from any school will pull you up in wage, only the sweat and tears of experiance can do that. I tell my students at the start of the school year how it is in this field and then they can make their oun choice to stay or not. I have an uncanny nack to know who really is interested in the trade and who is not. I mean why should they was their time and money on something if they will not be commited to the education and job.
Let put it this way, I've been in this trade for over 20 years and I have a bad back,knees,and neck. Oh by the way I'm only 38! Started when I was 17. Being healthy is key, though my boss says to me we only want your brain. So good luck in what ever you do deside.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

DForce

57 months ago

Go Ammonia refrig buddy. That's where the money is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Freak in Kansas City, Missouri

57 months ago

I would like to know is it real for me at all to go for the HVAC Tehnician School? Company is willing to pay 60% of all cost and all program will cost around $25.000. (Vatterott College). And I am 44 know being in office clerk all my life thus would like to get new skill and carrier. Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

arkchris in Little Rock, Arkansas

56 months ago

Go commercial.I am 36 have 15 yrs experience make 26 dollars an hour. If u r gonna wear your body out get paid. Commercial refrigertion and a/c is the ticket. A union shop will get u there fastest. I did not go through the union and do not work for a union shop but i would have made the money faster if i would have. I live and work in the second poorest state in the nation and with o/t clear 75k a year so go for it just kiss ur wife and kids goodby in may you'll see them again somtime in september. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

There is an abundance of Hvacr Techs out of work right now, due to a poor economy.
And it is supposed to be a service era.
I have 15 years experience, as an Hvacr technician. I am out of work.
I am not in vegas no longer and in a small town due to a divorce.

I am a single father mid forty, healthy and skilled and out of work.

If you are in an area able to make 75k a year, thats great to hear, but that is a rare and an exception to the rule .
Most techs make 35-45k as a standard.
55-80 if you are union or good and or work for a company that has the business and is willing to share the profits as they see the employee as important part of their business-asset.

are you a supermarket tech Chris? because most other refrigeration companies dont have the kind of work that pays that kind of money.
and the overtime is good too if a guy can get it or can make it without having to work ot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

arkchris in Little Rock, Arkansas said: Go commercial.I am 36 have 15 yrs experience make 26 dollars an hour. If u r gonna wear your body out get paid. Commercial refrigertion and a/c is the ticket. A union shop will get u there fastest. I did not go through the union and do not work for a union shop but i would have made the money faster if i would have. I live and work in the second poorest state in the nation and with o/t clear 75k a year so go for it just kiss ur wife and kids goodby in may you'll see them again somtime in september. Good luck
I agree with you chris, on everything you said.
I rather make 23-26 an hour than make 43 -46 an hour and take home more money, than have all the benefits and pay most into the union fees and the insurance fees, its unreal with some of those unions.

but yes, union will get a guy there faster. There are a couple of other ways, but for the most part Chris said it all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

DForce said: Go Ammonia refrig buddy. That's where the money is.

Where? I really never seen the wages high for ammonia refrigeration.
Never could figure that one out?

So I never pursued it.
Unless you know something i dont? i bet ur making perhaps 17-24 and hour at the most.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

weldit777 in Evansville, Indiana said: I'm in my early 20's and considering making a change from welding to hvac. will my welding background help in hvac? also i'm considering taking a 2 semester program to get certified, or should i get an associate to break into the field. appreciate it.

you need experience first, an associates wont get you hired in this trade. not when u first start out.
everyone in this trade knows you need experience to show u can hang tough and know what you are talking about.
because there are alot of talkers in this trade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

That is the truth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

J in Stoughton, Massachusetts

54 months ago

Daytondave in Dayton, Ohio said: Those pay rates seem totally off the scale for anything i have seen in my area/state. Maybe im misunderstanding you but you are saying a new guy in your area can make $14 a hour, and a guy with a few years experience under his belt can get $30 a hour? A new guy/apprentice in my city/state, it seems like they only want to pay you minimum wage (if that!) like 7 bucks a hour. Ive talked to guys who have been doing it for 4-5 years and are finally getting up to around 14-15 a hour-if they are with a good company. 30 bucks a hour? Not around here. It is very discouraging for the new guy starting out when he is offered a job at such low wages. Hey, i understand that you cant start out on the top of the pay scale and i dont expect to but then again who on earth can honestly make a living on $7 a hour with no insurance benefits? Walmart pays better than that.

All states are different, in Mass you would make btw. 30-50$ an hour with 5+ experience. You just have to do commercial. My husband went to school for 5 years and makes 44.50$ an hour along with a company truck, gas card, healthcare/benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

J in Stoughton, Massachusetts said: All states are different, in Mass you would make btw. 30-50$ an hour with 5+ experience. You just have to do commercial. My husband went to school for 5 years and makes 44.50$ an hour along with a company truck, gas card, healthcare/benefits.

Good For you!
There are so many guy out of work and looking for work, and i am seeing so many people graduating school , and I think wow, good luck.

I like this trade. I enjoy the challenge , the work, and the competition, and the constant reminder of know it alls trying to still after 15 years telling me i dont know what i am doing or that i wont make it....
that is common in the industry.
But I made more money take home pay with 24 and hour residential , than 43.60 an hour Union...
Because the union dues, and the taxes and they take out the rest for benefits.
So Im not impressed with big numbers, its like pushing the wage back to the union, or working for one wage and another for the union.
Commercial is slow as residential in many parts of the country...
teach people to vote republican twice in a row.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

prohvacworks@yahoo.com in Allen, Texas said: Jeremy there are a few things you should seriously consider before going into the HVAC TRADE.

1. Your age. if you are between the ages of 28-35, I wouldn't recommend it. Especially if you're just getting into the trade. All you're going to do is wear out your body,.. fast.

2. If you have family,...the "peak seasons" won't allow to spend much time with them.

3. Starting pay out of school is not going to be what you'll hope for. Unless you work for yourself, your looking at anywhere from 13-15-17 per hour (IF) you show promise and catch on quick to the many challenges you'll face in the real world of a/c, heating or refrigeration work.

4. Be prepared to put in at least a minimum of 5-6 years of perhaps a little blood and a lot of sweat and (maybe even a little tears depending on your personality) to advance your self into a pay range of $22.00 an hour plus. Also,... If and WHEN YOU DO GET A JOB, it would serve you well and improve your chances greatly to surpass a pay scale of $22 plus an hour within 4 years time, if you spent some time on your own reading about the type of equipment your company sells in addition to keeping current with YOUR overall troubleshooting skills in the area of refrigerant circuit problems, controls, motors, additional other component problems, and proper installation practices to name just a few. Never, completely rely on a fellow employee to show how to do something correctly. Seek out the info on your own so you can be the go to guy.

Well thats just the tip of the ice berg. There is so much more to learn about in this trade. By the way, I have worked in the trade for over 17 years. So here's a little advice. if you do go for this line of work continue to study the trade and have a plan B.

Bottom line is YOU NEED TO DO WHAT YOU ENJOY DOING. DO WHAT MAKES YOU WANT TO GET UP EVERY MORNING AND BE GLAD YOU ARE THERE.[/QUOTE

20 yrs exp.- true,glutten for puns can hang only

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Bryan in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania said:

funny glutton for puns can hang , but love doesnt pay the bills or nob jobs with skills either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Positive energy in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

I am 35, and am a hvac lifer. ( almost 20 years)HVAC is verry grueling work, fast paced, taxing on your body, mind and schedule. I like the science of it, hvac fills the void to use sciece in my trade. My opinion of a person that sais " not a real young man" is installation is not something you would enjoy for long at all. Service is better on your body, but is more difficult to learn without an installation background. Service is more taxing on your schedule, it is a life. I have owned 2 hvac companies,worked for another few, and trained dozens of people. The people that stick with hvac are normaly the ones that have a drive to push on, upstream, daily. I love the hvac trade, don't get me wrong. I am also a licienced electrician. The electrical trade is about the same money, and is much easier in every way ( but does not fill that void for science in the work as much)I live in Pa., so I don't know about Florida, but around here there are plenty of people that do not know the trade, and want a job, but there is always a job for a well rounded, skilled tech. This trade is a life, and it takes one to understand the basics of an always changing trade. A good service tech is good at problem solving, willing to work any hours, good with people, and able to handle stress. I think everyone I know in the trade has stuggled with those skills, even when good at them. If you want more info, you can email me at apositiveenergy@aol.com I have delt with many people in your situation. The last thing I want to mention is from a management standpoint, most middle aged men looking to get into the trade are usualy looking for more money than the job pays, for that skill level - I have seen that- more than not. It is rewarding making people comfortable for a living, and rewarding to stand back and look at this work when done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

j_sully in Norristown, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

Hello,

I'm currently living in collegeville. I have been in the trade for about 2 years now. I read what you posted and its true. I have to say though i think its about who you know though, just from what i've seen at my current job. I work for a oil company in lansdale. It took my a year to get into a place. Now that i've been there for 2 years I've seen about 10 guys come and go. You really have to be into it to like your job. the only down thing about this trade is no one will teach you anythng cause they are scared that you will take their job. Its f'd up. I was a computer guy before i got into theis trade. I currently do service and cleaning on oil boilers. I like it but i know that there is more out there than this. I guess i'm just putting in my timr and somthing new will come my way. Just not trying to get stuck in oil my whole life. Any advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Positive Energy in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

Yes, I have some advice. Don't be like a lot of the self centered prics that don't want to tech you. It is verry common with hvac, and there is a reason- I have trained a few lesser paid people to do my job, and lost my job, but I would do it again. Sometime it is who you know, but at the end of the day, it is really who you are. I would recomend asking lots of questions, not taking any bullsit for an answer, and pay attention. Show interest to your bosses for formal training and ops for advancement. Hvac bosses love aggressive employees, but not pain in the asses.There are other things to get into in hvac besides oil (80% more for lack of a real #)I also got into the electrical trade and really like it too. Hope that helped, hit me back if you got more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

motivated78 in Branford, Connecticut

52 months ago

The HVAC trade is so diverse. You have residential, commercial, industrial. Then you have service and installation. Controls. Sales. Engineering aspect. I'm 21 and went to a 1 year tech school for HVAC. I did very well and was one of the few to luckily get a job the next day of graduation for a small residential company. That was over a year ago. They treat me fair. Sometimes it can get hectic, well most of the times it is! I've been laid off already last winter but they re-hired me. I got a small raise. The installs in attics are the worst part of this business. I'm 5'8 130 lbs so you can imagine who has to go in the tight spots :-). I'm already physically a bit drained to be honost. I am not a slacker by any means, I work hard, but I realized I just don't want to progress much further in this trade. I joined the Air Force, will be going to college, taking a step out for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ben in Geneva, Ohio

52 months ago

Jeremy in Modesto, California said: I'm trying to find a career that's right for me. I plan on going to a tech. school asap. HVAC has come up alot when talking to folks about what is a growing and positive career. I've read alot of posts on this forum. Some good and some seem really bad.

O.K. this is a question for anyone who is in the HVAC field. Mainly anyone in Nor-Califorina!!!

What are your thoughts on getting into HVAC as a career?? What type of person is cut out for this work? Also, is all the "low pay" "long hours" talk true? Any replies are welcome. Thank you!

p.s. Please no crying about "Mexicans, took our jobs" LOL

27 year hvac tech find another field this one has almost killed me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bwood348 in Rome, Georgia

51 months ago

I am 42 and just graduated from HVAC school residential work seems to be underapreciated for some reason.I plan to try the union from what I hear its more money and less work.seems like a nobrainer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HVAC in Mckeesport, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

yes the union could be more money, at least up front. In the long run once you have paid dues,vacation time, health ins., and what ever else they decide to take out of you, you are not making out as well as they make it seem. Then if someone doesn't like you, you don't work on that site or they make sure you'll sit on the line till some crap job comes in. To top it off, if you work 6 months out of the year you could be out of work the other 6.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bwood348 in Rome, Georgia

51 months ago

Vacation time and health insuranc sound like good things to me ive worked nonunion in another trade before and we got paid less than union plants in the same company got less benafits to so if a union will have me then here i come

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scappoosian in Sweet Home, Oregon

50 months ago

What do you guys know about Air balancing? I am finishing up a refrigeration college course next month and looking for a job. I'm 40 and a displaced construction worker and I can't imagine HVAC/refrigeration being a whole lot harder on a body than construction... But I can't decide about Air balancing. I don't want to get bored with an unchallenging job, but I am kinda beat up from 20+ years of construction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Scappoosian in Sweet Home, Oregon

50 months ago

Well, this time last year I was making 25 an hour. Construction sucks and has never taken care of me for any real length of time, and these days there is absolutely nothing going on here. So I really don't see an option, stay in my current field and sit at home (which looks like is going away soon anyhow) or start a new career with a substantial pay cut but health insurance, 401k, etc. This apprenticeship program says it will put me at 22/hr within 3 years. I don't know... I'm just about to the point of pumping gas right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wife of HVAC in Pinckney, Michigan

50 months ago

So many of these comments are spot on and many are not. My husband (46) has been in the bus. for about 18 yrs. He took the time to get all state certifications and continues to stay updated. His new venture is in Geo-thermal. He makes about $25 with full benefits and truck. The hours vary according to the seasons. He adds extra income with side jobs during slow periods. He will qualify for his boiler license in about 14 months.
If any of you decide to take this route, I believe the best time to job hunt is spring and fall. Update your knowledge regularly. Don't be afraid to call tech support for a part your installing, replacing. You won't come out of school with confidence to apply as a tech or installer. It takes a lot of hands on to get the gist of your job. It's a great job that won't be outsourced, and needed in every state, overseas also. My 32 yr. old son is in the same bus. and my 19 yr. old is just beginning. Personally, I believe it's a great career choice that gives you job security and the ability to advance if your willing to give it your all. Good Luck to those that make this choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

I agree with give it your all. I'm impressed with the attention paid to the trades life associated with the pay, unfortunatly this trade hires when the work is there, winter and summer, but not as a rule, just a statistic. Hvac is a good trade, there are so many veriables, so many positions, it comes down to how much you put in, and who you are (can you hang, fix, sell, manage crews, work with others, deal with customers, take orders, be respected and knowlegable enough to give orders, ETC...) I again would suggest reading all the above comments, all have some,to much trueth in the words. I was actually surprised to see some of the "was this helpful? /NO-1,2,3,4..." When these people have lived the hvac life, I know because I have also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chuckie40 in Lawrenceville, Georgia

48 months ago

hey i am 45 is it too late for me to consider hvac. thanking about it but what i am reading here is scary to say the least. should i reconsider this path.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Scappoosian in Lebanon, Oregon

48 months ago

I just got out of school and have 3 job offers, not interviews, but job offers within 2 weeks. I'm 40 by the way. And I'm in Oregon, I believe we have the highest unemployment in the country, we just hit 10.5%. I actually have another interview on Thursday. If what you are doing now isn't working for you I say go for it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Chuck. Dont want to be a wet blanket to anyone. Im pushin 50, personally needed to get out of this 5 yrs. as the trade has beat the sh*t out of my body. As you've read to be a real tech there are a lot of things to learn, study, invest in tools, education, be baby sitted in the field. All thats fine if you have the time, back and energy. Takes several yrs field experience to get a good start. Most often the pay is going to be on a minimal end because it'll be lucky if you can actually carry yourself let alone contribute much to a company. I know babysitters for rookies cost me money.
Not to often does one find a union situation ect where they pick the expenses plus overpay you for what you dont know to where your making some money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ben in Ashtabula, Ohio

48 months ago

as far as work its seasonal and this field does beat your body up im 50 yrs old been doing itc 27 yrs and was never able to save for retirement so id maybe choose a different field but again its up to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan Bans in Knoxville, Tennessee

48 months ago

Quick question for folks involved in the trade. How much will a background in sales help in HVAC? I have a history of residential and low-voltage electrical but the majority of my professional work history has been in sales and management. I am looking to make a career change and HVAC has always interested me. I've read a few posts describing how techs are sometimes involved in sales and I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ben in Ashtabula, Ohio

48 months ago

your sales experience is a strong plus in the field and it may save your back most companies love sales ex go for it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan Bans in Knoxville, Tennessee

48 months ago

ben in Ashtabula, Ohio said: your sales experience is a strong plus in the field and it may save your back most companies love sales ex go for it

Thanks Ben!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

motivated78 in Branford, Connecticut

47 months ago

Madmoony said: For an instructor, you sure suck at spelling... Might wanna get classes in English.

Little harsh there Madmoony. He brought some excellent points to the table, regardless if he made some spelling errors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Madmoony said: For an instructor, you sure suck at spelling... Might wanna get classes in English.

Madmooney you stated some real truth. Good post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Ashtabula, Ohio

47 months ago

i bet your spelling is alot better when you write up a customer bill after a job completion lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

j_sully1 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

I read your response again...Was thinking now that i've done oil for about 2 years. Should my next move be a gas company?..Do you know of any electrical classes in the collegeville area? I've been considering switching for a while just in part because the company i'm at really only does oil heat and I know that there is much more out there than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

I took my electrical classes at Delco (473 and rt3)I think they have them at the Blue Bell Camp now. As far as gas, If you want to get into gas, heat pumps, geo - you have to just get a job with a company that does that work. The more you know, the better chance finding a job, you know oil, one down...

47 months ago

Hey Madmoony, I'm sorry that you think that I suck at spelling, but I am not the most computer literate or key board savy type of person. My fingers don't always hit the right keys. Oh, buy the way Madmoony, it should be "Madmoney" not "Madmoony".

Emily in Rocklin, California

43 months ago

Bryan Bans in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Quick question for folks involved in the trade. How much will a background in sales help in HVAC? I have a history of residential and low-voltage electrical but the majority of my professional work history has been in sales and management. I am looking to make a career change and HVAC has always interested me. I've read a few posts describing how techs are sometimes involved in sales and I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

My husband has been in the field for over a year and has many years in sales prior to his HVAC career. He is currently bringing home around $2,500.00 a week because he gets a certain percent of selling a new system. In my opinion sales exp. is a major plus, that is where most of the company revenue comes from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.