HVAC tech salaries

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 55)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

erika brown in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

HI. I'm planning to go to the Environmental TEchnical Institute in Blue Island, IL. I'm worried because the guy who is supposed to be giving me a tour of the school said I can make 17.50 an hour. That's not going to be enough to pay the loans from my school back and pay my bills and get other things that I need and want. I was just wondering, how much do all you HVAC techs make out there with about 1-3 years experience? Right now I am in court reporting. I know they make way more and it's not like i'm not going to do this, i just want to do court reporting at my own pace. Please help me, i'm so confused. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (204) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Mcallen, Texas

64 months ago

my husband is in prison and is going to gratuate from HVAC soon, he's been studying for 3 years now....they tell him if he looks for a job in houston he will be making around 20 to 25 dollars an hour, is this true??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (99) Reply - Report abuse

truckgut in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

confuseddotcom in Tinley Park, Illinois said: hi its erika again. about 8 months ago i was trying to go into the hvac trade. from what i've seen that it is not a good idea but i was wondering about the trucking industry. I need to make some good money, and i'm running out of options. how much can you make starting off as a local truck driver? what about dump trucks and garbage trucks? do they make good money? do you know of any good school in illinois that actually have financial aid without having to go thru the WIA program? I was thinking about going to Progressive truck driving school, i've found they're less expensive and they actually help you and send you to the places you need to go for the WIA program. is this a good school or should i try somewhere else. please help me i am getting married may 22nd and i need to get something going before then. if anybody knows of anything please let me know asap. thanks guys!

Hi Erika my name is Hank I have been driving trucks for the last five years, and now am giving it up to go to hvac training, I found that in the trucking industry you are not at all appreciated and if you want to make good money you have to have a union job and they are hard to come by. Not to mention that for a halfway decent job you need two years experience and there are so many truckers with experience looking for work you will probably not find one. Im sorry I dont mean to be a downer but you will have to go over the road first for at least a year to get a bad job in the city. If I were not so old and afraid of getting teased by my friends I would do a medical assistant course they make decent money and you dont have to worry about black ice. with an easy job like that you can find time to go to nursing school because thats were the money is, my wife is studying respiratory therapy and will be making 40 right outta school. If you have any especific questions feel free to ask. I'll reply right away. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

BayouGator in Lake Charles, Louisiana

58 months ago

Looking for
HVAC chiller tech needed due to increased work load
MUST have at least 2 years exp. pay DOE 25 to 30 per hr
Co. truck , Vac, Ins. etc
E-Mail me ted@airconduit.net
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

BayouGator in Lake Charles, Louisiana

57 months ago

we are looking for an all around commerical tech
chiller knowledge is needed but most work is on dx systems

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HVAC/R in Aurora, Colorado

53 months ago

Most places that pay well will want you to attend at least 2 semesters worth of trade college for HVAC if you want good pay. They will also like that you were in an internship if you can be placed into one. If you are new to HVAC or are out of high school and know your way around HVAC then more power to you. Expect to start at the bottom of the totem pole however with no credentials right away. People and HVAC Companies wan't a clean cut, dependable company employee. From years of different issues I can tell you right now not many "HVAC Pros" take pride in thier work. Companies NEED quality workers who care about helping people and fixing ac/Heating issues not just people who are in it for a quick$$ but leave a bigger mess for the next HVAC guy who comes in to fix thier mess. I do NOT like selling any type of products onto people unless I know exactly what I am selling them. I do not like to take part in the sales aspect of HVAC, but I make a good living off of word-of-mouth fixes that I do and the work is always in demand. What HVAC needs are more people that actually want to do thier best to help people stay warm/cool as well as those with health issues that need quality airflow in thier space. Wish more HVAC people were more honest about pricing, but you can't win them all. Do research, but HVAC pays well if you stick to it, believe that you can do a good job and take the effort to fix issues in the best possible manner not cutting corners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

The biggest problem you are going to have in the HVAC field is getting an entry-level job. Most companies want techs with at least 2-5 years experience, maybe more depending on the company. So, for the first few years you will probably have to work for a small company, making just a little over minimum wage, to gain enough experience to move up in the field. That makes it tough for anyone who has a family or other responsibilities to break into the field... it's great for young guys just starting out, but a lot tougher for us older guys as we have obligations that require more than $8 an hour.

Also, don't fall into the trap of "starting-out" doing installation... in most cases, when you get into one side of the trade or the other, you're stuck there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

fob115 in Glenolden, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

I've been in the field for about 8 yrs now. I love the work but in my situation you must rotate being on call so you can take care of the customers that call at 3 in the morning for no hot water and things of that nature. Know that this is a field that changes almost each year. Lot's of continued education if you really want to succeed. There is money to be made but you have to want it. If your lazy , pick another field and also know that everyone you know either has heat or a/c so be ready for the phone calls from friends and family. I never realized how many friends and family members had junk equipment until I went into this field!!!(they want it done for free...of course).Over all' I think it's a great field because everyone needs heat and/or a/c and with the advancement of these products the future looks very bright if your the one with the knowledge. There are companies hiring in my area because good dependable people are hard to find.(side-note... not to good for your back especially if u will be involved in removing old boilers and heaters)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

fob115 in Glenolden, Pennsylvania said: I've been in the field for about 8 yrs now. I love the work but in my situation you must rotate being on call so you can take care of the customers that call at 3 in the morning for no hot water and things of that nature. Know that this is a field that changes almost each year. Lot's of continued education if you really want to succeed. There is money to be made but you have to want it. If your lazy , pick another field and also know that everyone you know either has heat or a/c so be ready for the phone calls from friends and family. I never realized how many friends and family members had junk equipment until I went into this field!!!(they want it done for free...of course).Over all' I think it's a great field because everyone needs heat and/or a/c and with the advancement of these products the future looks very bright if your the one with the knowledge. There are companies hiring in my area because good dependable people are hard to find.(side-note... not to good for your back especially if u will be involved in removing old boilers and heaters)

it will also be a plus if you could get or have a commercial drivers liscense/ you will be very much in demand for a company that delivers propane or heating oil

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

smith in Brooklet, Georgia

49 months ago

erika brown in Chicago, Illinois said: HI. I'm planning to go to the Environmental TEchnical Institute in Blue Island, IL. I'm worried because the guy who is supposed to be giving me a tour of the school said I can make 17.50 an hour. That's not going to be enough to pay the loans from my school back and pay my bills and get other things that I need and want. I was just wondering, how much do all you HVAC techs make out there with about 1-3 years experience? Right now I am in court reporting. I know they make way more and it's not like i'm not going to do this, i just want to do court reporting at my own pace. Please help me, i'm so confused. Thanks.

go to fluor.com if can travel...pay amazing...need jam up resume

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

smith in Brooklet, Georgia said: go to fluor.com if can travel...pay amazing...need jam up resume

The money you can make depends on several different things including location, need of services, and the individual companies. In my area alone the pay scale fluctuates slightly. also, know that upon completion from school you will not automatically get a said amount of pay. You definitley will need hands on experience. I never actually attended a trade school for this field, other than the continued yearly schooling for certifications, but absolutly nothing beats hands on. One thing that i think is really funny about the schools is that the equipment that i have seen in the schools is usually newer models, but when you get in the field you will most definitely run into some units that should have been condemned 50 yrs ago. They are indeed the gems of the field. I do know guys in at my job getting close to 30 per hour but these guys have been doing it for around 20-30 yrs. I will say that there is definitely a good future in it as long as you know that this field requires long hours and most likely weekends(all during winter season). My first two year in the field i was averaging 75 hour per week,mostly due to the fact that 1. I wanted to learn 2.the older guys at my job could care less about the overtime so I had as much "on-call" time as i could take!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sualways in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

49 months ago

i want to 2400

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

deadhead in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

truckgut in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi Erika my name is Hank I have been driving trucks for the last five years, and now am giving it up to go to hvac training, I found that in the trucking industry you are not at all appreciated and if you want to make good money you have to have a union job and they are hard to come by. Not to mention that for a halfway decent job you need two years experience and there are so many truckers with experience looking for work you will probably not find one. Im sorry I dont mean to be a downer but you will have to go over the road first for at least a year to get a bad job in the city. If I were not so old and afraid of getting teased by my friends I would do a medical assistant course they make decent money and you dont have to worry about black ice. with an easy job like that you can find time to go to nursing school because thats were the money is, my wife is studying respiratory therapy and will be making 40 right outta school. If you have any especific questions feel free to ask. I'll reply right away. good luck.

How has your wife been doing with respiratory therapy? I've been considering going back to school for 2 years to earn an associates and the community college near me has that for a major. I feel medical is the best thing to get into but even these people are having a hard time finding work after they graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tommy in Paramus, New Jersey

47 months ago

Looking to re-locate south, curentlly own my own plumbing/hvac company, works real slow here now, down about 60 percent over 3 years <not good> anyhow, anyone have a line how work is in florida? Hows the pay,etc. Not looking to jump into buisness again, possible "working" supervisor position would be in the cards, i cannot put down the tools and don't have a desire to any time soon. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daninaz in Kingman, Arizona

46 months ago

opps in Miami, Florida said: not AS an ex con

you can be an hvac with a felony ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wesley in Ball, Louisiana

46 months ago

tommy in Paramus, New Jersey said: Looking to re-locate south, curentlly own my own plumbing/hvac company, works real slow here now, down about 60 percent over 3 years <not good> anyhow, anyone have a line how work is in florida? Hows the pay,etc. Not looking to jump into buisness again, possible "working" supervisor position would be in the cards, i cannot put down the tools and don't have a desire to any time soon. Thanks

I have just the position for you. Our company is in central louisiana.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hvacsvc in Rensselaer, Indiana

46 months ago

daninaz in Kingman, Arizona said: you can be an hvac with a felony ?

Possible but could be very limiting depending on the felony conviction. Big difference between felony tax evasion and felony armed robbery or sex offender. The latter would X someone out for being sent by an average svc company to many places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

SEGMIX2011 in Lafayette, Louisiana

45 months ago

can anyone tell me the right time to look for hvac job? i have an associate degree in industrial technology and planning to go into hvac due to the passion and partially 2 yrs experience i have in air conditioning and home appliances. But right now, im finding it seriously hard to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bird in Memphis, Tennessee

45 months ago

confuseddotcom in Tinley Park, Illinois said: hi its erika again. about 8 months ago i was trying to go into the hvac trade. from what i've seen that it is not a good idea but i was wondering about the trucking industry. I need to make some good money, and i'm running out of options. how much can you make starting off as a local truck driver? what about dump trucks and garbage trucks? do they make good money? do you know of any good school in illinois that actually have financial aid without having to go thru the WIA program? I was thinking about going to Progressive truck driving school, i've found they're less expensive and they actually help you and send you to the places you need to go for the WIA program. is this a good school or should i try somewhere else. please help me i am getting married may 22nd and i need to get something going before then. if anybody knows of anything please let me know asap. thanks guys!

did you say that you are getting married? well trying to start a trucking career is the begging to the end of that. When get into trucking most of the time you will have to start out 6mths or even longer over the road before you get a local job. And your intire career are under conditions of your driving record and health. For one you dont want to leave your wife at home for weeks worried about who is holding her at night. Im a driver for 6 yrs and i think ive wasted 6yrs. HVAC is slow getting started but once you get the skills I believe its the most universal career you can get into. I just got my EPA. My brother got me into HVAC. he has only been into HVAC for 3 going on 4yrs and he just bought a $250.000 home and makes 100k a yr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hvacsvc in Rensselaer, Indiana

45 months ago

SEGMIX2011 in Lafayette, Louisiana said: can anyone tell me the right time to look for hvac job? i have an associate degree in industrial technology and planning to go into hvac due to the passion and partially 2 yrs experience i have in air conditioning and home appliances. But right now, im finding it seriously hard to get a job.

I have to speak from being up north. Very little hiring done the first quarter of the year or more when new construction and the AC season hasnt started up. Thats the time I am more interested at looking at new people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chip in Williamstown, New Jersey

44 months ago

I just want to comment that when you are union,your wages can range high up to 65.00 and hour. This money comes when you have some years in. After the union takes out insurance and investments and others, you may be left with about 35.00. The economy is not good to our people right now. There are alot of us out on unemployment now. If you want to get in and stay,do an apprenticeship. Just be prepared for layoffs seasonally. It can hit you real hard financially. So look for something on the side in the mean time. Jersey is bad right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jim in Frankfort, Indiana

44 months ago

erika brown in Chicago, Illinois said: HI. I'm planning to go to the Environmental TEchnical Institute in Blue Island, IL. I'm worried because the guy who is supposed to be giving me a tour of the school said I can make 17.50 an hour. That's not going to be enough to pay the loans from my school back and pay my bills and get other things that I need and want. I was just wondering, how much do all you HVAC techs make out there with about 1-3 years experience? Right now I am in court reporting. I know they make way more and it's not like i'm not going to do this, i just want to do court reporting at my own pace. Please help me, i'm so confused. Thanks.

It took me 23 years but now I make 22hr plus sales com.and company truck. Indiana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chip in Williamstown, New Jersey

44 months ago

In order to make the type of money you wantto make you have to get into a local Union. You can become an apprentice making the amt. you said you would make, but as you put in your time our pay goes up scale. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

There is a very respected HVAC business owner among his piers and respected by a major Indiana equipment supplier in Frankfort. I'd suggest talking with Mr. Myers concerning what your area market ACTUALLY does pay in your area for non-union. Not intended to be disparaging, Its true as already stated, you want that kind of money to start it will have to be a union situation. Tech schools are so famed for pumping students about expected income yet Ive never known them as eager to explain why the line is endless long of their graduates that cant get a position.

Indy market if you look in classifieds are offering that type of starting pay for EXPERIENCED techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Juan Carlos in Long Beach, California

44 months ago

I Heard The Best Bet To Land A Job In A Union HVAC Is To Enlist In The Air Force They Have A MOS There Nd Get Trained Well Earning A Degree Too (:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ant238 in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

HI, TO ALL PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN HVAC AND TRAINING FROM A LOCAL SCHOOL IN CHICAGO, COYNE COLLEGE IS YOUR BEST BET HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Brian Schmigel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

you dont make money in hvac working for anyone else develope your own side work if you get 2-4 jobs a month that will pay for your loas then work for someone to get health insurance thats it, theres to much money to be made and everyone needs heat and a/c do side work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Brian Schmigel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: you dont make money in hvac working for anyone else develope your own side work if you get 2-4 jobs a month that will pay for your loas then work for someone to get health insurance thats it, theres to much money to be made and everyone needs heat and a/c do side work

Yes Brian is right there is money in side work.
If your not paying for liability Ins or being under insured and nothing goes wrong or your blamed for something your not actually responsible for.

No overhead in a Equipped Svc Truck, tools and test equipment past a tool bag and a flashlight.

Get in over your head you can just walk away spending little to no time in research or work to solve the issue

Not pulling permits, no business license and someone doesn't turn you in after a legitimate company gets called and cleans up after your inability or mistake in a repair or improper install.

The repair you previously did has failed and the customer deserves warranty, you dont have to ever show up to redo it for free.

You actually charge your mother, brother and friends who is your only customers to start with before the friend of a friend who doesnt call a legitimate company looking to get something for nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brian schmigel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

thats why you do things right in hvac theres two ways of doing things the right way and the lazy way theres many lazy tech out there who are sloppy and arent carefull just rush through the jobs and ones who take pride in their work my dad has had a bussinesss to the side for over 15 yrs he has done almost every fireman in the city of pittsburghs heating and cooling system if you know what your doing you can make it on your own if you choose to do things right

you dont have overhead if your part time in bussiness the way to do it is get a job with insurance pension etc and do side jobs part time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chrisrob74@yahoo.com in Aston, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Brian Schmigel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: you dont make money in hvac working for anyone else develope your own side work if you get 2-4 jobs a month that will pay for your loas then work for someone to get health insurance thats it, theres to much money to be made and everyone needs heat and a/c do side work

how long have u been doing that for and thats about the way i see it with a back round

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aditya Ashok in Chandigarh, India

38 months ago

Hello every one

is it necessary for a person to have much (exp-2year)experience in any feild. ithink every one should get a chance to to shoe his/her capabilty for doing the job. I think sometimes a fresher can do the job in stunning manner then an experience one.I have one experience in mechanical feild.

I am also a from one of the beginners and need somebodies support to show my abilty for doing the task given to so for that give me faver by contacting me (Adityarehalia@gmail.com)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

HVAC

37 months ago

jennifer in Mcallen, Texas said: my husband is in prison and is going to gratuate from HVAC soon, he's been studying for 3 years now....they tell him if he looks for a job in houston he will be making around 20 to 25 dollars an hour, is this true??

Answer: Its true if a HVAC company pays PER SERVICE CALL for THAT HOUR or or time he is AT a job site. His ride to the job site and in between rides to each appointment is not paid wages. If the HVAC company pays hourly with ride paid for, starting hourly wage is minimum wage to about $12.00 an hour, maybe more, depending on how good the tech is. Some HVAC companies require sales to be made to even get a paycheck, so on commission basis only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Jacksonville, Florida

37 months ago

Im thinking of going to Tulsa Welding School that just opened in jacksonville, fl for (HVAC/R), Electrical, and Entry Level Solar Installation, its 9 months long is this a good choice im wondering do companys look down on vocational diplomas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Warren in Portage, Indiana

35 months ago

I'm thinking of going to school for HVAC, but I don't know where I should go. Seem's like most schools are in IL but which ones are good and emploiers like? Are there any good schools in Northern Indiana?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hvacsvc in Rensselaer, Indiana

35 months ago

Personally I'm unimpressed as an employer with IVY Tech-Valpo campus. New hires Ive taken on newly graduating from that campus though graduating straight A's and earned degrees were clueless when they got to the real field. Summer before last I was called to a job site by one of my guys on a mess. I followed up a severely hacked AC system that was to far gone to save that was reported to me by the property owner himself that an instructor from Valpo he had been hiring on the side to do his work was the original installer. I did not see or meet that person.

I attended that same school 25 yrs ago. One teacher I had you literally had to make teach you in between his smoke breaks and I watched my entire class cheat through the course. My Refer instructor however was tuff,top flight and I learned a lot.
Best apprentice Ive had went to IVY Tech-Lafayette with a degree and 2 yrs field experience. 2nd best was graduated out of ETI-Blue Island Ill.
Thats my experience and my opinion only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danny in Richmond, Virginia

35 months ago

does anybody know which school would be better for HVAC, ITT technical institute or ECPI

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brian in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

ITT Tech would be better if you want an even better school PTI is becoming one of the best

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

717valiant in New Providence, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

start working for the local union[chiller companies]good money good benefits,working in the maintinance dept. in a hospital gets you ok money,killer benefits.My 8 years as hvac tech. at hosp. in pa. got me 20/hr and med.and 24 paid days off ayear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JayfrmGriffith in Lansing, Illinois

34 months ago

I'll be coming out of eti in the summer and was looking for advice on how I should get started in my hvac career? I've never worked in this trade before but am quite naturally a person who works great with his hands! I'm far from a jarhead too. I'm expecting to grow in this field for many years to come and am just looking for a little guidance from all of the professionals out there! Can anybody help?

ginasmithh in Fresno, California

34 months ago

Hello everyone. My boyfriend is currently working towards becoming an HVAC in Ontario, Canada. He eventually wants to move out west to live in California with me while I continue through my masters degree. He's enrolled at Durham College in Whitby, Ontario. Does anyone know how moving from Canada to the U.S. works for obtaining your HVAC certification or license? I've tried searching but i'm not sure exactly what to look for. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeepguy in Aurora, Illinois

33 months ago

HVAC is a great feild.skip those technical schools waste of money and time! get a apprenticship with a union shop bro.I owned a union shop for 22 years.The guys out of those schools didnt know enough to make more than 17.50 and the unions do not recognize those tech schools as proper training.Back in 2005 our guys ,that where union trained and skilled where makeing 80,000 to 120,000 a year plus awesome benifits and pension.Put in a few years and start your own shop and you can at least double that easy.I sold and retired at 40 years old!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Birmingham, Alabama

30 months ago

Hello my name is Robert. I live in Alabama and went to school, took out student loan for the school and to by tools I needed. I am now $15,000 in debt with the student loan. I work full time and do HVAC on the side. I made a little over $6,000 in 3 months. You will make good income based on the demand of the customers and what services they need.

Marketing Consultant in Surrey, British Columbia

30 months ago

jennifer in Mcallen, Texas said: my husband is in prison and is going to gratuate from HVAC soon, he's been studying for 3 years now....they tell him if he looks for a job in houston he will be making around 20 to 25 dollars an hour, is this true??

That is the industry average. The higher level he obtains means that he can earn up to 50$ an hour

latreece walker in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

29 months ago

Im searching on this site to get the same answres because I am in the same situation n id like to knowhow did that work out.Is your husband out and did it take him somtime time ti find a job

ausguy42 in Sydney, Australia

28 months ago

I've just been reading thru' this thread. I realise just how lucky we are in Australia. Our economy is booming. Very short of tradesmen here. Entry level payment is around $35 per hour. Equates to about $65,000 per year. There's none of that "no travel time" pay. If you work 8, 9 or 10 hours per day (including travel) then you get paid for all the hours. The mining game is big dollars. Minimum start is around $120,000 per year, all food and accommodation paid for. Also, if you work in a remote area then your flights home are paid for, too. At this point in time the $Aus is worth just a fraction more than the $US dollar so you can see how good we have it here. Again, reading your posts I never realised just how good it is in the great land Down Under! Perhaps it could be a wise move to see if you can visit Australia to pursue your HVAC work. You'll love this country and from what I've seen lately on the news about the USA you'll probably be happy to make Australia your permanent home. Good luck in your pursuits and I hope your economy improves in the near future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

M. Journeyman in Catoosa, Oklahoma

20 months ago

I went to W.T.I For hvac/r, and it has really been good to me. I mean sure, its hard to get your foot in the door. But if you turn out to be a good technician, and understand the operation of how everything works, you'll make a good living. Me? I still deal w the seasonal thing, and yeah it does suck, but, during cooling season you work your ass off and save some money for heating season when it slows down. I have been in this trade for 4 years now. I would really like to find a more year round steady commercial position. And a guy from earlier was right, it is hard to get in because everyone wants you to have 5 years experience and you cant get any experience if no one will give you a shot. I just paid attention in class, and exaggerated on my app and called tech support All the time. lol.. Nowadays, I've really started to get the hang of it but still cant go work for a better company because I don't have their desired experience history. But all in all, if you stick with it, and REALLY pay attention to what your doing, you can make a handsome living. Without the moonlighting. A good company will pay you enough to compensate for not doing any side jobs, they know this. If anybody knows of a good position like what I'm talking about thats open, let me know.... Eyes to the sky..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Seasoned tech in Madison, Wisconsin

18 months ago

That is not accurate. You will start at about $13-$15 and be at $16-$19 by the end of your 3rd year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Seasoned tech in Madison, Wisconsin

18 months ago

Think about it. A Felon in your house. Ummm NO. He may find construction work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tanner in Elko, Nevada

17 months ago

I have just started working in the HVAC field in March and have been loving the work so far. I am 19 right now and I am making $12/hr, I ride in a company truck or drive it so I don't have to burn my own fuel and on average we typically complete 3 different houses a week unless we are doing a larger custom home which usually takes 3-4 days. The work isn't always easy of course but that's to be said with most jobs in the construction field. I'm thinking that about 2 years with this job and then I will consider going to school for HVAC so I have experience plus a degree.

neilbfisher in Fremont, California

16 months ago

Tanner in Elko, Nevada said: I have just started working in the HVAC field in March and have been loving the work so far. I am 19 right now and I am making $12/ hr , I ride in a company truck or drive it so I don't have to burn my own fuel and on average we typically complete 3 different houses a week unless we are doing a larger custom home which usually takes 3-4 days. The work isn't always easy of course but that's to be said with most jobs in the construction field. I'm thinking that about 2 years with this job and then I will consider going to school for HVAC so I have experience plus a degree.

IN California a good and experinced HVAC tech make between 40 to 60 dollars per hour and if in a nuc plant three times that

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.