Taking HVAC clases online

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Frank in Canton, Ohio

75 months ago

I am wondering the same thing and I look forward to the responses.
My wife and I are in a position where we have sick family members to care for and other stresses. I want to become an HVAC tech.
Is the online program offered through Gatlin Education (through Ohio State) any good? Will it get me a job or not since it is online and not hands on? Could I get the online certificate then get a job and learn hands on there or doesn't that happen?
Should I go to a local career center? Though if I do that I'll lose my job for 8 months while I'm in school.
Just don't know what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Chesapeake, Virginia

75 months ago

Penn Foster has one that is accredited and CHEAP. There is no substitute for experience BUT some will hire entry level.A better field pay wise is telecommunications. Follow your heart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Newark, Delaware

72 months ago

Frank in Chesapeake, Virginia said: Penn Foster has one that is accredited and CHEAP. There is no substitute for experience BUT some will hire entry level.A better field pay wise is telecommunications. Follow your heart.

steve from de.just told his nepheu the same thing but for elect. might save gas if he flunks any way ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

den in Nebraska

72 months ago

taking it on line is awast of your money you need the hands on

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

steve in Newark, Delaware

72 months ago

the kids doing that but they offer a journeymans cert. please correct me if I'm wrong but " you still need". what 600 hours to get that to right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jay in Elmsford, New York

69 months ago

I Have been in the HVAC field for 12 years, bottum line you cant learn to braze or solder online. Its something you have to do.You need a good hands on school, HVAC is a hands on buissness. if my boss hired someone from an online program I would refuse to work with him for saftey reasons. Alot of time these programs are a scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Concord, North Carolina

69 months ago

jay in Elmsford, New York said: I Have been in the HVAC field for 12 years, bottum line you cant learn to braze or solder online. Its something you have to do.You need a good hands on school, HVAC is a hands on buissness. if my boss hired someone from an online program I would refuse to work with him for saftey reasons. Alot of time these programs are a scam.
You are absolutely correct although these programs might at least get you enouph knowlege to begin a regular school so you would not be totally lost. but like you said you cannot learn to braze/solder online. And in school you dont have to crawl up in an attic or under a house or braze upside down with your head in a unit somewhere. School is a ide open controlled enviroment. School is a good place to start and good for credentials but the real tranning is in the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nate in Cleveland, Ohio

69 months ago

I m about to start school and wonder if this hvac will be the best way to have job security in this economy once your done with

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Koocoojoe in hooksett, New Hampshire

68 months ago

A lot of the classes that i took were online and you just don't learn like you do in the field. Yeah taking some online classes may help but isn't exactly worth the money. Get into a good company that is willing to train you. My company trained me and when i got into this field i didn't even know the difference between a furnace and boiler. Thought they were the same thing hahaha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

muncie in Hardy, Virginia

31 months ago

There is NO WAY that I could go to school full time or even part time for that matter and still provide for my family. Online learning is my only option and I imagine it is for a lot of people that want to change careers. With any career hands on learning is essential but you cannot do the bookwork in the field. Hell, you can complete private pilot ground school online but you still have to physically learn how to fly. Online learning is the future. Maybe one day there will be a brazing simulator.

I would like to hear from anyone that took the Gatlin online coursework and what you thought of it. Having the bookwork done has to be better than no experience at all. It's the old catch 22. How do you get experience when no one will hire you because you have no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Warner Robins, Georgia

29 months ago

muncie in Hardy, Virginia said: There is NO WAY that I could go to school full time or even part time for that matter and still provide for my family....

I was in your situation, I'm 33 y/o had a baby on the way, and no job prospects so I signed up for middle Georgia tech. I signed up for air conditioning technology and signed up with WIA {workforce investment act} I went to school for two quarters and finally got contacted by WIA and found out that they would pay me $30 a day that you go to school and they will pay for all of your tools. I'm getting all my tools within the next two weeks. I'm planning on posting an ad on cragslist offering free Airconditioning Heatpump and Gas heat repair and preventative maintaince. I got My EPA 608 universal certifitaction, EPA 609 MVAC certification, PM TECH certification {preventive Maintanace} and IAQ certification. Basically I'm gonna offer free work for reference purposes. Of course I'm going to make them pay for materials and the going rate for refrigerant if I have to charge a system, but I'm not going to charge for labor. This way I can get in the door with field If you want to get into the HVAC business go to www.epatest.com and purchase the 608 test, study the materials and call to see where a testing location is and get your universal certification

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

steve171 in Wilmington, Delaware

29 months ago

what is the wmi I allready have a 608 universal

29 months ago

epatest.com Offers EPA608 EPA 609 (motor vehicle air conditioners} PM tech Preventative maintance, Indoor air quality technician and Green certifications. I just took all of them, not because they are required but because I figured with no field experience it would give me an advantage from a hiring standpoint over another graduate with no field experience, and after taking them it really seemed like important information if you own your own business or make any commission you could bring more money in by touching points that wouldn't have even come up during an install or repair. I'm only saying what I have done, but I'm trying to get my foot in the door just like alot of people. WIA is workforst investment act through the department of labor. They pay you an allowance to go to school and pay for all of your tools... check them out at your local department of labor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

steve171 in Wilmington, Delaware

29 months ago

Jason in Warner Robins, Georgia said: epatest.com Offers EPA608 EPA 609 (motor vehicle air conditioners} PM tech Preventative maintance, Indoor air quality technician and Green certifications. I just took all of them, not because they are required but because I figured with no field experience it would give me an advantage from a hiring standpoint over another graduate with no field experience, and after taking them it really seemed like important information if you own your own business or make any commission you could bring more money in by touching points that wouldn't have even come up during an install or repair. I'm only saying what I have done, but I'm trying to get my foot in the door just like alot of people. WIA is workforst investment act through the department of labor. They pay you an allowance to go to school and pay for all of your tools... check them out at your local department of labor

thank you alot

ihabmorjan in Arlington, Texas

29 months ago

Frank in Canton, Ohio said: I am wondering the same thing and I look forward to the responses.
My wife and I are in a position where we have sick family members to care for and other stresses. I want to become an HVAC tech.
Is the online program offered through Gatlin Education (through Ohio State) any good? Will it get me a job or not since it is online and not hands on? Could I get the online certificate then get a job and learn hands on there or doesn't that happen?
Should I go to a local career center? Though if I do that I'll lose my job for 8 months while I'm in school.
Just don't know what to do.

i am looking for online school to become an hvac tech

29 months ago

Honestly from what I've heard, school is just for you and your knowledge. Most employers want you to have experience but alot of companies what people fresh out of school so they can train them to do it their way. Every where you go and everywhere you ask you are probably gonna get mixed answers. I would say to make up your mind if it's really what you want to do and make it happen whether online or a standard tech school. I graduate in May and I'm excited. Alot of people told me I needed to find a job and go to school at the same time... that's not very realistic when you have a family. If you are lucky enough to be able to go to school either way then do it because no one can take your education from you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aav amphibs in Houston, Texas

25 months ago

Gary in Concord, North Carolina said: You are absolutely correct although these programs might at least get you enouph knowlege to begin a regular school so you would not be totally lost. but like you said you cannot learn to braze/solder online. And in school you dont have to crawl up in an attic or under a house or braze upside down with your head in a unit somewhere. School is a ide open controlled enviroment. School is a good place to start and good for credentials but the real tranning is in the field.

I agree with this comment. I am an aircraft mechanic, (20 years)and the school I attended was 4 hours classroom, and 4 hours shop, but none of my hands on experience in a classroom was anywhere close to experience and hands on in the field. Lets be honest. HVAC is a hot dirty nasty field. You get dirty and you lift heavy things. Pretty much like an Aircraft Mechanic. The ones that can't handle that kind of work will eventually weed themselves out. Maybe book smart but don't like the dirty work types. Some have had other mechanical expertise, and adding an ace in the hole like I may do one day in HVAC with Penn Foster. With the tuition so cheap and affordable in my case....(Maybe not for broke diks out of high school)I would do this course just so I can work on my own system when it brakes down and not have to call an HVAC technician.
I would rather work in the field with a Penn Foster graduate than the one person here that said he would not work with an online graduate because he would be dangerous. Those are the guys I don't want to work around with. They know it all and opinionated, making my job dangerous working around that kind of attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Jason in Warner Robins, Georgia said: Honestly from what I've heard, school is just for you and your knowledge. Most employers want you to have experience but alot of companies what people fresh out of school so they can train them to do it their way. Every where you go and everywhere you ask you are probably gonna get mixed answers. I would say to make up your mind if it's really what you want to do and make it happen whether online or a standard tech school. I graduate in May and I'm excited. Alot of people told me I needed to find a job and go to school at the same time... that's not very realistic when you have a family. If you are lucky enough to be able to go to school either way then do it because no one can take your education from you

Going to school is the easy part. I went to A&P school in New York state years ago to learn aviation maintenance. I didn't hire in aviation for another 2.5 years, but I've been doing it since. At that time, aviation was slow and my timing was a bit off. Don't freak out if you don't land an HVAC job right away. It takes time sometimes. Just keep it in the back of your head that you will do it one day if that is what you want to do. You'll have your license or EPA testing out of the way. Worse case scenario, you can at least work on your own unit saving you thousands of dollars. I don't know what you paid for to go to school but I like the Penn Foster idea/route, seems affordable. In the end, employers don't look at the school that you went to and what grades you got. They just want to know if you have tools, willing to work in screwed up hot enviroments like attics and if you passed your EPA stuff so that you can service and recover refrigerant ect....Experience means they have to pay you more money, so I bet alot of companies like to hire inexperienced technicians to keep their payroll low.
Also, you get out of an education what you put into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ronmayhel in Cotabato, Philippines

25 months ago

Thanks Guys.

25 months ago

You get out of an education what you put into it. You get your materials, and its up to you to study it if you are doing this online. If you want hands on experience while you are studying it this method, I suggest you go find an AC unit to mess with or go look at some units, commercial, industrial, residential, ect....Take pride in your studies, try to master it good there so that when you do get hired on somewhere, you know what a capacitor is and what it does, what it takes to recover refrigerant, what a fan blade puller looks like and how it works. There will be a huge difference between your knowledge at that point versus someone that never got educated in HVAC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.