Top hvac technician skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every hvac technician must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your hvac technician expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

chilled in Nanaimo, British Columbia

95 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every hvac technician must have to excel?

1) ability to be continually verbally abused and let it roll off you
2) complete groosly underquoted jobs on time and make it work
3) be available 24/7 and accept that this job WILL be you life above anything else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Corran Vincent in Auckland, New Zealand

95 months ago

Totally agree with Chilled good comments which supplement mine as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

chilled in Nanaimo, British Columbia

95 months ago

Corran Vincent said: Totally agree with Chilled good comments which supplement mine as well.

I hate to be a pessimist, but this job has taken a toll on me after almost 25yrs. If your car broke down on the side of the road and you had it towed to a garage would it be in your best interests to rip a peice off the mechanic who has never seen you before? In HVAC industry this is an all too common occurance. Why?

Because our bosses arn't there at the time and it's up to us to; fix the equipment, do the quotes, fix the customer, you touched it so the 20yr old peice of junk should never break down again - ever! On and on.

I don't know what it's like in NZ, but here in Canada HVAC remains one of the best paid trades yet ask the employers and institutions; "we can't get anybody" is all they can parrott.

I simply ask, where did everyone go AND why?

HVAC is truly like being a cop; few people understand anything about it, assume everything is just like the fridge and furnance at home - how complicated can that be?, are quick to critisize, but when they need you, right now! and you're not charging overtime, right??

I know over 20 men who have left this industry, many for much lower paying jobs. This is a high stress job, physically and mentally demanding with a high burnout rate.

I do actually like what I do from the mechanical, elcetrical and automation side of things, it's all the periferal crap I can't stand.

Just like YOUR non-HVAC job, I know, right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roy MI,Usa in Detroit, Michigan

95 months ago

I got a great LOL, when I read the first reply to this thread.
The 3 main talents a technician must have is

1) The ability to say yes boss every time the boss says something.
2) The ability to make sure you lose any game when you play the boss be it Golf,cards etc.
3) The ability to take to responsibility when ever the boss makes a cockup.

With these talents the rise to the top of the pecking order is assured.

Actually I relate to quite a bit of whats been said.Truth is that it's a tough job and that unless your bringing in your own work your screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Los Angeles, California

94 months ago

The biggest skill you need is to get customer's to purchase the repairs that you find when you go on calls.

The technical challenges of the job evaporate quickly as you learn how to diagnose problems. Again the greatest challenge is getting your cuatomer to then invest in fixing those issues. Bad sales skills have killed many careers in the HVAC industry.

Joe Crisara
www.contractorselling.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

roy in Detroit, Michigan

93 months ago

also one of the biggest skills you need is to learn that you can learn even from the biggest idiot.even the retarded maintainance man who ran 120V into your 24V on an HWC.I learned even the lowest moron on the ladder maybe the Ass you have to kiss tommorrow.People skills seems to be the biggest business getter.Joe in Los Angeles is right.But a no heat call fixed speaks for itself.another important factor.Rarely do i have sell a fix that works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

david in Wayne, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every hvac technician must have to excel?

experience, reliability and attitude

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Black Hawk, South Dakota

87 months ago

Yes it can be a bit rough sometimes..... so the three greatest skills a HVAC tech can have?

1. Know what your doing!!!!
2. The ability to communicate that to customer. Treat them like you would a friend.
3. Be honest...if you dont know what is wrong with it...assure the customer that you will find someone that does...don't waste your time and their money on swapping parts.

BONUS: Reading customers....sensing their mood...be friendly and professional, and have a positive adittude..this goes a long way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

scott e. in Venice, Florida

83 months ago

Believe in what you do/preach.Know what your doing and if you don't, ASK.Tell the customer what you are going to do and show them what you find and do as you do it(establishes confidence and trust).I know that some people can be extremely annoying with constant questions or even worse.Sometimes you get a hold of a retired ENGINEER and he tells you what needs to be done,but,if you teach and explain what you are doing and establish good report with your customer you will have one for life.I have never met a customer who did not request that I come back for the next maintenance.It is very stressful at times but very rewarding as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorenzo in Yelm, Washington

82 months ago

1-brain

2-heart

3-exp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roy in Detroit, Michigan

82 months ago

In the northern hemisphere right now!

1.The ability to work past exhaustion.

2.Not have a life.

3.Let your boss make all the cash, and remind you how broke he is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel Banning in Plainville, Connecticut

82 months ago

1: The ability to take on that last call thats "right on your way home" even if it is 20 miles in the opposite direction.

2: The ability to take call two weeks per month for a full week, work till the early hours of the next day and still be at the shop for 7am with a smile on.

3: Be able to take call while your on vacation. Even if your out of the state!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

MS HVAC in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

ONLY THREE!!!??? IF, you honestly are an EXCELLENT (not just a good) technician you already have DRIVE, DETERMINATION AND SELF-DISIPLINE. YOU ARE RELIABLE AND HAVE A BUSINESS MIND. YOU HAVE A NATURAL ABILITY TO SELL. YOU HAVE A PERSONAL DESIRE TO RUN THE MARATHON OF EXCELLENCE. IF YOU ADMIRE YOUR BOSS, YOU DO EVERYTHING HE TELLS YOU AND YOU DO IT THE WAY HE TELLS YOU TO DO IT, AND YOU DO IT EXACTLY WHEN HE TELLS YOU TO DO IT. HE IS YOUR VERY, VERY, VERY BEST TOOL OF INVESTMENT IN YOURSELF. Now all you need to add is ACTOR - because that's what it takes to work with moronic building engineers and hauty customers. How to be a great actor? Customers assume your expertise (until you've been back for the same thing a third time) so expertise is not first and foremost. First impressions are first and foremost. Positively demonstrate your personal worth and self-esteem (find a strong but also HUMBLE way to do this). AVOID berating yourself as a tool for humility - it will cause an opposite effect - it will undermine you. A person who displays confidence is easily trusted by others. Know how to turn down - even turn off (refuse) customers. They will have more respect for you, and chase you down and beg to pay you more and then refer you. For customers you honestly want to loose, don't return their phone calls. Don't worry when a customer threatens to defame you. #1, remind them that they have just made themselves liable for a slander lawsuit. #2, others KNOW who this person is and HOW they are and won't give them any credence. BEST WISHES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Clifton, New Jersey

80 months ago

customers are always right

work 24hrs a day 8 days a week

have no life

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

the guy in Oxnard, California

78 months ago

shut up and stop complaining

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

no hoto in Oxnard, California

78 months ago

thanks for the help !!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Patrick in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I'm starting to wonder if the abuse I get now, i.e. my car didn't do that when I came in... isn't enough.
What is the average hvac pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in Indianapolis, Indiana

78 months ago

I think that this the best thing I have found in a while. I happen to love what I do (still wonder why some times) but do not understand why it has to be so complicated. I had to wrench on a RTU from 1975 about two months ago and had to deal with a person in the office when the unit failed WOW! The industry has a problem when good techs are being lost due to problems they can't control. Ok getting off the soap box now grerat form great why to vent and get a laugh. To Mr. Patrick in my area no experance P.M. tech's 10-15 good techs highest i know of is 38 per hour

To get back to the Queston the three things that are required are
1 Understand that the customer is ALWAYS right.
2 Understand that your service manager knows all.
3 To realize that the tech knows nothing.

Would not tade it for world. Thanks and be safe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Torrington, Connecticut

77 months ago

1small hands
2strong back
3thick skin
average pay in ct 20 -35 exp. and specilty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

florena in Springfield, Missouri

77 months ago

Got a question for you, guys. I am a career counselor and I just had a HVAC guy who will be laid off soon from a major employer who is in the food service area. The guy has skills in HVAC in TX going back to 2003. He spent some time as a general laborer with this company until executives took his side and moved him to HVAC. He is wanting to take classes. He wants to change industries, which is out of the question for us because there is plenty of work for HVAC guys and because he has only a 6 month window of funds and he wants a 2 year program. Would you suspect that he needs upgraded HVAC skills. How quickly does that field change to the point where retraining is necessary? And what has changed the most? Thanks for the advice.

florena in Springfield, Missouri

77 months ago

florena in Springfield, Missouri said: Got a question for you, guys. I am a career counselor and I just had a HVAC guy who will be laid off soon from a major employer who is in the food service area. The guy has skills in HVAC in TX going back to 2003. He spent some time as a general laborer with this company until executives took his side and moved him to HVAC. He is wanting to take classes. He wants to change industries, which is out of the question for us because there is plenty of work for HVAC guys and because he has only a 6 month window of funds and he wants a 2 year program. Would you suspect that he needs upgraded HVAC skills. How quickly does that field change to the point where retraining is necessary? And what has changed the most? Thanks for the advice.

I should add, he has been working steadily in the field since 2003 with the exception of a few months with his latest employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

fouad ibrahim in Imperial, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

To under stand how the four system in ac or the Refrig work. and trouble shooting in respect to out side temp.

patusow10896 in Morrow, Georgia

52 months ago

Know what your doing and especially learn how to portray that to your service manager/most respected service techs. bring in lots of money without ripping people off and have few call backs. I prefer being paid mostly commission. It helps keep u motivated and puts everyone on a even playing field. the best make the most money,have fewest complaints/call backs,and less return calls because u want to be finished with the job. that means u have more calls to make more money.hourly techs sometimes dont care about finishing the job and they also ride the clock. good paid commission techs fix the customer, run more calls for the company, make more for the company and are usually faster and get home earlier. I have found a company that does it the right way. i can sell my own equipment,possibly install it myself if the customer needs it now. i get 18% of my total revenue. 6% equipment sales. 8% more if i want to install it. they trust me to adjust prices depending on the cituation. whether it be sales or repairs. techs need to fell trusted and appreciated. we are the face of the company and it starts with us.

Hvac Pro in Las Vegas, Nevada

52 months ago

Troubleshooting,
electrical,
refrigeration
IMO

52 months ago

oh That was to get the job done, but usually that is to get the job too.
especially in this trade.

52 months ago

to get the job

1. attitude
2. energetic
3. willing to learn and independently knowledgable balanced.

Artillery in Charles Town, West Virginia

41 months ago

1. Good set of rubber knee pads so you can kiss everyone else's butt while you lose yours from the constant gnawing,
2. A full-face helmet for your head to keep the crap off,
3. Smile a lot and tell them that you understand what they are saying and ask them how long they have been an engineer.

Tyler King in Manor, Texas

36 months ago

I disagree with all the pessimists here it can be a good and satisfying job if the circumstances are right.
The most important things for me as a service tech are. I get paid off a commision/by job style pay system. wich imo is by far the best it gives you freedom.

1. Communication ability, you have to please the customer. If the customer likes you and has confidence that you know what your doing they will be more willing to buy things from you allowing you to make more money.
2. Strong troubleshooting skills, Most people would think this is the number one thing and it probably truely is but i have seen far to many lower skilled technicians being able to succede very well because they can accomplish the first one. If the customer likes you, you are way ahead of the game.
3. The willingness to always continue your education, there is constantly new products being released and new education required you have to care about your job.

All in all there are many things you need to succede but without all 3 of the above you will fail. I have been a service tech for 6 years now ive worked my way up to making around 90k a year in the residential/ light commercial market. I think the people that are complaining would complain about any job they have. The bottom line is there is so much freedom in this trade that you can really make it what you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Whitby, Ontario

31 months ago

this job has lots of potential. theres a LOT of little tricks that will get you to the top of the totem pole quick.

the trick is to get paid for your knowledge . not your hands.

Bradley B in Durban, South Africa

31 months ago

It's amazing to see that many techs feel the way I do, yeah this job can be frustrating at times, but I find that most my problems stem from retarded installers who have no Hvac experience. The other problem is customers who constantly replace their fridges, tvs washing machines etc. but look shocked and confused when you tell them that their 1980' s rusted piece of crap with a million leaks needs to be replaced. You guys are lucky coz here we get paid $7 - $12 per hour max.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bangsolow in Oxford, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

i like driving big ol TRUCKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt H in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

22 months ago

hings in life not just electronic itself and would like to apply my traits and skills into HVAC Hello my name is Charles and I would like to get to gather and certainly meet with like minded people as myself who are willing, self~motivated and even dedicated to landing the Right Job in the HVAC Field that they went to Tech School for.

I want to meet with people in the Philadelphia area and get to exchange knowledge and skills of HVAC and coming together to contribute in helping out one another in developing positive Skills, Knowledge, and Learning more into HVAC for better field preparations.

As well as for good resume and profile layouts to share with each other.

I'm no one special in this field just someone with ambition and a total willingness to learn and help in the same in this search and have with over 20 years experience since being 10 and under in the disassembling and reassembling of electric appliances and more.

I am self tout and have developed great troubleshooting skills as a trait that I found applies to all general tand helping others for that.

I have a link to my LinkedIn Profile, you can check me out.
www.linkedin.com/in/cremensnyder

Looking to hear back from a few people that are like minded in developing themselves for the right HVAC job.

My Email is: cremensnyder @ y a h o o . c o m

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Hello my name is Charles and I would like to get to gather and certainly meet with like minded people as myself who are willing, self~motivated and even dedicated to landing the Right Job in the HVAC Field that they went to Tech School for.

I want to meet with people in the Philadelphia area and get to exchange knowledge and skills of HVAC and coming together to contribute in helping out one another in developing positive Skills, Knowledge, and Learning more into HVAC for better field preparations.

I'm no one special in this field just someone with ambition and a total willingness to learn and help in the same in this search and have with over 20 years experience since being 10 and under in the disassembling and reassembling of electric appliances and more.

I been self tout and have developed great troubleshooting skills as a trait that I found applies to all general things in life not just electronic itself and would like to apply my traits and skills into HVAC and helping others for that reason to add on as a contribute to skills.

I have a link to my LinkedIn Profile, you can check me out at anytime.

Looking to hear back from a few motivated people that are like minded in developing themselves for the right HVAC job.

Please email me anytime,

Charles Remensnyder

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Hello my name is Charles and I would like to get to gather and certainly meet with like minded people as myself who are willing, self~motivated and even dedicated to landing the Right Job in the HVAC Field that they went to Tech School for.

I been self tout and have developed great troubleshooting skills as a trait that I found applies to all general things in life not just electronic itself and would like to apply my traits and skills into HVAC and helping others for that reason to add on as a contribute to skills.

I have a link to my LinkedIn Profile, you can check me out at anytime.

Looking to hear back from a few motivated people that are like minded in developing themselves for the right HVAC job.

Please email me anytime,

Charles Remensnyder

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.