cosidering taking the training for HVAC

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

peacetothepeople in Gorham, Maine

55 months ago

What is the job outlook for this field right now? My husband wants to make a career change and he is thinking about doing the HVAC training at a local tech college. He feels a little worried about taking out a loan for school because he isn't sure he would be able to find a job in the field when he is done. I know nothing is a sure thing, especially in this economy, but can anyone give us some guidance with this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dashbake in Anaconda, Montana

55 months ago

I am looking at taking an HVAC course also so I decided to take the one through Penn Foster, doesn't cost much so you can study in your spare time. Once this certificate is completed I will take a one month intense HVAC course to accelerate my learning while getting the hands on training that is needed. For the time it takes to go to school for two years and give up the income I don't think it is worth the extra money lost when you could be in the field working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DaytonDave in Dayton, Ohio

54 months ago

peacetothepeople in Gorham, Maine said: What is the job outlook for this field right now? My husband wants to make a career change and he is thinking about doing the HVAC training at a local tech college. He feels a little worried about taking out a loan for school because he isn't sure he would be able to find a job in the field when he is done. I know nothing is a sure thing, especially in this economy, but can anyone give us some guidance with this?

Before your husband jumps into this, there are several things he needs to take into consideration.
How old is he? Does he have any experience in HVAC, or some sort of construction related field? If he is above 35ish and has no related experience whatsoever he might have problems. I found this out the hard way. at 38 I went to a community college for HVAC around 3-4 years ago and was never able to even get a interview, much less a job. I have heard many similar stories from others who have tried to make a career change to HVAC.
Basically without going into great detail HVAC seems to be a field where you have to start out young, its not one of those careers that you can jump into mid-life. And those who do start out-well when you are new the pay STINKS. After you have paid your dues the money is great, but your first year on the job-you probably are only gonna be making around 8-9 bucks a hour.
Tell your husband to swing around some of your local HVAC companies and try to talk to some of the people for advice first, to make certain that this is a career for him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

peacetothepeople in Westbrook, Maine

54 months ago

Thank you for your advice. My husband has been wavering on his decision to go into hvac for the very reasons you mentioned. I had a feeling that it is a hard field to get started in but the people at the community college make it sound as if he would have gotten a great paying job right out of training, which my common sense told me would not be the case so it's good to get the viewpoint of someone who has actually been on the other side of the issue. My husbend is relatively young (26) and in good physical condition but has virtually no experience in construction or anything close to it. He is trained as a chef and wants a different life style but I think if he traded cooking for hvac he would just be opening a whole new can of stress (albeit a different kind). Thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

36 months ago

Exactly. That is what they don't tell you
You have much more prospects at 20 than 30 or 35 when you probably won't get an interview let alone a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

peacetothepeople in Westbrook, Maine said: Thank you for your advice. My husband has been wavering on his decision to go into hvac for the very reasons you mentioned. I had a feeling that it is a hard field to get started in but the people at the community college make it sound as if he would have gotten a great paying job right out of training, which my common sense told me would not be the case so it's good to get the viewpoint of someone who has actually been on the other side of the issue. My husbend is relatively young (26) and in good physical condition but has virtually no experience in construction or anything close to it. He is trained as a chef and wants a different life style but I think if he traded cooking for hvac he would just be opening a whole new can of stress (albeit a different kind). Thanks again

Yup they always make it seem like it is so easy and that there are millions of open unfilled positions in this field but no one can give the name of a person or company and actually refer you to someone...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Yup they always make it seem like it is so easy and that there are millions of open unfilled positions in this field but no one can give the name of a person or company and actually refer you to someone...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.