How to get started in HVAC

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Aaron in Norco, California

18 months ago

I'm 22 years old and one semester away from getting my Certificate from a Community College HVAC program (RCC), however I'm having a hard time finding work that doesn't require 5+ years of experience. How did you guys start out? I will get my EPA license soon. I know certs are great to have, but it's really hard finding a place willing to train someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TheFenix007e in Houston, Texas

5 months ago

hi, hey i was like that too. i went to school at hcc on houston, tx. i got everything and i just couldn't find a job, but the small companies maybe can hire you. because one day i was looking in a website , i found somebody looking to hire people with experience on the hvac . with 1 year experience , so i called him and i told him that i went to school and i didn't have experience , so he told me i could be a good helper and he hired me . now i am working in that small company , but i make a few hours a week . you know, there is not a lot of work right now. but am getting some experience so later i can find something better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Jr in Quinton, New Jersey

3 months ago

Hello i am enrolled in school at Pennco Tech for H-Vac. I was wondering the same thing on how to get a job coming fresh out of school with no job experience with most of the companies saying 5 years of experience or more. Although Pennco Tech helps you with that area upon graduation it still would be nice knowing that a company would give you a chance to prove what you have learned.But i agree with TheFenix007 by starting off with a small company and getting that experience under your belt. You can work for a small company or several small companies and gradually work your way up to bigger companies to finally get that job you are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Riverside, California

3 months ago

Topic poster here. Yup, I was fortunate to get a job at a small company and I do see it as a stepping stone. But so far I do like it! Thanks for the response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.