lookin for a trade as a felon.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Princess 100 in San Bernardino, California

49 months ago

my fiance is 27 yrs old and he is a felon. he is trying t better him self now. and i was wondering can you be a HVAC technitian with a felony?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

bb in Spring, Texas

49 months ago

it depends on the felony, but for the most part no, he could work for commercial hvac but by law cant work at some ones home with a felony... try mechanic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

dmizell26 in Centerville, Texas

48 months ago

In response to bb in spring tx... i am a convicted felon and am presently a field superintendant for a company here in texas.I do work in customers homes and am registered with the state as an hvac tech. It is a case by case basis that takes into account the severity of the offense, how much time has lapsed since the crime and whether you are currently on parole or probation. He has an uphill battle and there will be ALOT of people out there that won't give him the time of day. But as BB says it will be easier in commercial work to get on with a company. My conviction is over 11 years old for hot checks but I did have some trouble finding employment after moving to Texas....never anywhere else. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

6timefelon in Oak Park, Michigan

46 months ago

I am a felon its been 3 years since ive been on parole.If I were to ask anyone the question whether or not I can find employment,it means I doubt my abilities to persevere as man.I have 6 felonies.My classes start really soon but I know God will make the crooked places straight as long as I believe.I will take these classes,get a certificate & get a job.Believe in yourself felons,and anyone else who wants to better their life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lacy in Pearland, Texas

39 months ago

To the 3rd comment. I received a call from my boyfriend today with dissapointing news. It's opposite of what you have said. I just wanted to be told the correct info. He also is a felon who wants to earn his HVAC license. We live in Houston,Tx and weren't quite sure if he could still do as so because of his felony. His grandpa is licensed and has told him he can not do as because of his felony. Is that correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

John in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

I can't speak for how the licensing system works in Texas, but I'm pretty sure a lot of companies (reputable ones, anyway) would have some reservations about hiring convicted felons. Look at it this way- as a homeowner, would YOU want a convicted criminal in YOUR house? It's a liability issue. I'm not saying you/your boyfriend/fiance would do anything. But from a company owner's standpoint, what happens if one of his employees steals something, hurts someone, damages property, etc? Now, what happens when the customer finds out that the employer knew he/she was a felon and hired him/her anyway? The owner will lose everything. My advice would be to try and get into something that doesn't involve entering homes/businesses. The HVAC trade doesn't pay that well anyway so I'm sure he could do just as well or better in another field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

A/C Girl

38 months ago

As of the summer of 2011 I would think it would be hard to get a job as a felo, although my husband a licensed contractor in the state of Florida has his license and owns the business.
In Florida anyways I would guestimate that about 70% of the HVAC techs have been arrested for some crime be it a felony or misdemeanor or even a case where the charges were dropped. I think that this is because in FL schools they really push for everyone to go on to college so the trade people are the bottom of the barrel for the most part, NOT always just generally. High School drop outs, alkies, druggies, criminals, quasi-illiterates...with a state so hot all the time one would think a better class of person would apply for these jobs, but that is not the case.

I think it all depends on crime, when it happened and how forthcoming the applicant is with the potential employer. As an employer I actually have rspect for individuals who come right out and tell me all their dirty laundry rather than waiting until I read it on their application or find it on the background report.

If you are felon or been arrested for anything, just be honest, explain why it happened and then in a short and concise manner explain how you have changed and why it won't happen again. I truly think people are more understanding then a lot of us give them credit for being!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PhilipM in Garland, Texas

38 months ago

bb in Spring, Texas said: it depends on the felony, but for the most part no, he could work for commercial hvac but by law cant work at some ones home with a felony... try mechanic

not true in texas I am a Convicted Felon and have an AC contractors license just depends on the felony and how old it is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

purple00007 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

My felon is 17 years old and it's for child abuse my daugther was burn with hot water on her foot from the stove

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dbell3733 in Mesquite, Texas

36 months ago

PhilipM in Garland, Texas said: not true in texas I am a Convicted Felon and have an AC contractors license just depends on the felony and how old it is

Hi Philip - I am in Garland too and am considering going to school to get HVAC license. My felony is over 20 years old/drug related. Did you have issues getting your license? Did you have help? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
DB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nwhoustontx in Baltimore, Maryland

35 months ago

Not true. I live in Houston, Texas and i have 2 felonies. I am currently attending Everest Institute for HVAC. Its off of 59 & bissonnet. I would say 75% of the students are felons. They have a job placement program that will help you find work, felon or not. They even found a job for a felon with the words "cut throat" tattooed across his throat. Point being, dont let anyone discourage you because of a background. The way this world is going, who doesnt have a background. Carry your head high, get proper training, & go interview. Pleany of work for everybody

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

InvernessAir in Inverness, Florida

35 months ago

As I live in Florida I certainly don't know the rules, laws and regulations of the state of Texas besides the rules, laws and regulations change.

What I would do prior to spending any money on Trade School or even anytime working on a resume and/or spending time filling out applications and calling companies for interviews is call the licensing board of the state you live in first. Any state that requires a license will also have an office that monitors the giving out of license. Doing a simple seach of the computer should get you the phone number or an email address to send questions to.

Prior to calling or emailing the board get all of the infomation you could possibly need: the arrest date, the original arrest charge, the court date, the court charges, were the charges dropped then the date that the charges were dropped, if the charges weren't dropped was there an adjudication of guilt or was it witheld, the punishment date and information in reference to that including amount of time in jail with the date of intake and release, if there was probabtion or parole then the date it started and the end date or if it isn't over yet the projected end date; make sure you get all of this information for each charge in addition the location of each charge and the jurisdiction would be helpful as well.

Also make sure to get the persons identification information of who you speak with and I would personally call back and speak to another person from the same office to make sure that you get the same answer from 2 different people.

Keep in mind too that laws change so someone who had a charge 20 years ago could be grandfathered in and even though you have the same charge you may not qualify at this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Zorro in Indianapolis, Indiana

35 months ago

I'm from Indianapolis. I have 2 drug convictions-One C felony possession of cocaine (year 2000) and one A felony dealing in cocaine (year 2004). Today, I don't sell or use anything. Today, I have a bachelor degree in "General Studies" from Purdue University and an associate degree in "Residential HVAC/R" from IVY TECH. I have a couple questions: (1)Are there any HVAC companies (either residential or commercial or both)in Indianapolis that will hire someone like me? (2)Can someone, with two drug convictions,get an HVAC license to start his/her own bussiness?

Thank you for responding

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessse in Sterling Heights, Michigan

31 months ago

John in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I can't speak for how the licensing system works in Texas, but I'm pretty sure a lot of companies (reputable ones, anyway) would have some reservations about hiring convicted felons. Look at it this way- as a homeowner, would YOU want a convicted criminal in YOUR house? It's a liability issue. I'm not saying you/your boyfriend/fiance would do anything. But from a company owner's standpoint, what happens if one of his employees steals something, hurts someone, damages property, etc? Now, what happens when the customer finds out that the employer knew he/she was a felon and hired him/her anyway? The owner will lose everything. My advice would be to try and get into something that doesn't involve entering homes/businesses. The HVAC trade doesn't pay that well anyway so I'm sure he could do just as well or better in another field.
Doesnt pay that well?? Are you on crack?? If you half way know what you are doing in this field your should easily be able to make $50,000! With experience, Commercial HVAC can make $100,000 plus. YOu better do your homework buddy!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

j in Albuquerque, New Mexico

28 months ago

I am a felon, federal conviction of mail fraud and access device fraud, since then I have turned to the lord. No drugs, but still on Probation, I have my
Journeyman Refrigeration and have never had a problem getting a job, do to my record, just as long as i was strait up with my employer, right off the bat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fqce in Trenton, New Jersey

28 months ago

bb in Spring, Texas said: it depends on the felony, but for the most part no, he could work for commercial hvac but by law cant work at some ones home with a felony... try mechanic

Who ever wrote that No answer. Is a hitch and Yes he can work Hvac.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ct. len in Houston, Texas

27 months ago

I'm a convicted felon its been about 12 years now since the conviction, i moved to tx hoping to have a better life, i've been in tx for 6 years now and companys still will not give me the time or day no matter how long ago it was, i was even told that i picked the wrong carreer and the wrong state to live in, by the way i'm stuck paying a school loan for to everest institute for HVAC, i even told the school that i am a convicted felon and that if i can still find a job as a felon they said yes i can.. TEXAS IS NOT A STATE FOR CONVICTED FELONS THAT ARE TRYING TO CHANGE THIER LIVES AROUND, I was even told to go back where i came from, i am puerto rican american, this is NOT THE great state I ALWAYS WANTED TO COME TOO, DON'T believe these people who tell you its a case by case thats just the legal way to deny you.... YOU CAN ONLY GET A JOB IN TEXAS IF YOU KNOW SOME IN A COMPANY, THATS HOW IT WORKS HERE, I've been looking for work for about 3years now and still looking, good luck people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Garcia

26 months ago

I've read the comments for the most part...I have a burglary 3rd ,n larceny 4,as my felonies n I was convicted Nov 2010 I believe cause thats when I plead guilty.Anyhow,I went t prison june 2011 n I was released June 2012.Im still on parole n I finish Nov 2012.I was going to enroll for oct this year.I will be done. With school a year from now.oh,sorry ill be be on probation for the next 3yr but ill probably do 11/2yrs.What's your feed back on acquiring work?I know its possible n that's my positive motivation I have...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Floridabiker777 in New Port Richey, Florida

4 months ago

I've been a hvacr service manager for over 17 yrs now.(worked as a service tech for over 10yrs) I am also a convicted felon. Trafficking in cocaine from 1988. My only felon. Own my own home and want to get and activate a fl hvac license to start my own business. Will I be rejected because of my felony?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.