Getting an illustrator job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

How did you get your start doing illustrator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Kathy Kwiatkowski

85 months ago

I'm advertising with my own website & I'm with the industry standard - www.theblackbook.com/KathyK. My problem - I have not recieved any jobs. Please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Audrey (Host) in Austin, Texas

85 months ago

Kathy,
It would be best to set up a profile for that info here www.indeed.com/my/profile
I get a 404 error for that link.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Renee Rieskamp in Rockford, Illinois

63 months ago

Kathy Kwiatkowski said: I'm advertising with my own website & I'm with the industry standard - www.theblackbook.com/KathyK . My problem - I have not recieved any jobs. Please help.

Looks like your link goes to the wrong web site. theblackbook.com is a horse sales company. I think the site you meant for direction was blackbook.com (minus the "the"). I hope that's helpful in some way

forums@indeed.com in Fenton, Michigan

63 months ago

I'm no longer there.
My website: www.thesandcreekstudio.com
If you need me please allow 2 weeks for a project/painting or we can decide that latter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Im not from Burnley in Burnley, United Kingdom

55 months ago

Hi, the fact that someone askes a sensible question (one that I want to know the answer to) and all you other guys just do is ignore it and start talking about yourself and your websites is very frutrating. Just tell me, would a degree in Fine Art help? Or would I need to do graphic design? I'm not certain if I want to be an illustrator so I'm thinking fine art...would that mean that if I decide I want to be an illustrator after doing a degree in fine art that I would have wasted my time, money and efforts???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

forums@indeed.com in Leroy, Michigan

55 months ago

I think you may be better off w/ fine art. You can enter contests & galleries,
however, since u live in MI like I do--then you know art isn't selling.
I have a BFA degree in Illustration--because I thought I could get an illustration job. So I work @ Meijer part-time like some other artists do. One is a graphic designer--she works in recieving, others are fine artists. In this economy I don't think it'd matter unless---you can move out of state. I tried to submit greeting card companies--but they didn't want it right now. I'm in a gallery in GR but art doesn't sell. Maybe the economy will pick up--people should think of art as an investment ---if you're really talented though--don't give up!!! Take some classes & see--maybe talk w/ a career counselor--you can always do art on the side or teach. I just thought you should know the truth. I have my own website & I've had 3 art shows & enter contests--& nothing happens.
Still working @ Meijer 4 1/2 yrs now--that was my temp job. I keep in touch w/ Kendall & some alumni--nothing happens. I hope this helps you. Since you have the talent just take one class & see--if you think it won't help you pay the bills then do your other interest--do art on the side & maybe it'll happen for you. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing illustrator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Yes, you should get a BFA.
Advertise & have art shows.

Im not from Burnley, or London... in London, United Kingdom

55 months ago

Thanks for your advice :) But I don't live in MI, I'm from the United Kingdom...So I gather from what you say that Michigan isnt a good place to be an artist...is that just Michigan? Or is it the same everywhere?
I hate to sound stupid and ignorant, but I don't really understand this economy stuff...would the economy possibly be sorted out in 3 years time when I would be out of education and looking for a job?
I am in College doing an A level in Fine Art at the moment, with a little graphic design...
(The education system is different in the UK to the US, what you call college is the equivalent to what we call university...we leave high school at 16, and what we call college over here is the place some go after high school, I hope that doesnt cause confusion haha)
So yeah, I have been to classes, and do enjoy both fine art and graphic design...I'm just not really sure what degree to do in University...
Thanks

55 months ago

Sorry, I thought you were from the UK, it says MI on the top of the screen. Yes, things are different here. We pay for the higher ed.
The economy in MI & the US---does unfortunately effects you too. They call it the global economy & it's bad. Check into it, watch your news on the tellie--then you'll know. Get your self a website & post your art work. Advertise your art skills/resume. Maybe place some of your art work in the pubs, etc. You may get a job in Graphic Design--maybe England embraces artists more. Remember, the US was founded on people that didn't like ornamentation. I'm surprised that we have art galleries & museums at all. Europe has so much--Europeans love artists--I think Americans don't hold it in high regard. Just thought you should know. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Im not from Burnley, or London... in London, United Kingdom

55 months ago

Yes, I am from the United Kingdom and we do pay for University.
Are you saying it's not a good idea to go to university at all then?
Thanks for all the advice :)

LaidoffMom in Grand Ledge, Michigan

48 months ago

I understand, I live in Michigan and am an artist too. I've sold a few prints over the last couple months and that's it. Am hoping economy will come back and I'll get better along with it so maybe I can make at least a part time income with my art. originalsbykaty.weebly.com

J in Pasadena, California

47 months ago

Look at job postings -- a college degree is useless, the key is software proficiency. Learn your computer programs, get the certs for that, and start looking for work, unless you have a trust fund.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Im not from Burnley, or London... in Manchester, United Kingdom

47 months ago

Too late Ive already applied for a course in university...(yes, I'm British not American)
Whats wrong with traditional illustration techniques anyway? On th course im goig on they teach traditional techniques (drawing/painting etc) along with how to do the computerised stuff.
Which is the obvious thing to do, right? How would that not be useful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Not from Burnley, London or manchester in Manchester, United Kingdom

47 months ago

Why does the website keep guessing where I live, first I live in Burnley, then London, then Manchester. I'm from bloody Wrexham.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lizzi in Newark, Delaware

47 months ago

I saw your post and thought I may send you a few suggestions. I work in advertising and have hired illustrators for projects in the past. They were local but with the internet, that doesn't seem very necessary. One illustrator I hired presented his work along with several other illustrators and photographers at a meet and greet type of thing. I hired a photographer from that as well. They got together and sent out invites to people in the business community. It may be difficult but if possible, it's good to have knowledge of both the fine arts type of illustration and digital illustration especially if you can stay true to your style in both. Flexibility in the different types of jobs you can take is great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.