Tips for industrial electrician interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming industrial electrician interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Brian B in Charlotte, North Carolina

80 months ago

I just recently had my interview for an industrial electrician's apprentice job. There are many basic interview questions an employer will ask you. Such as:

* Why do you want to enter the electrical trade?
* Why are you interested in "industrial" as opposed to residential/commercial?
* Are you willing to travel?
* Where do you see yourself five years from now?

I was asked similar questions as these. Obviously I was asked more, however I can't remember every one. Also, many companies are looking to see how serious you are and how committed. Remember, any trade you enter will take hard work and dedication on your part. The more you put in the more you get out of it. Most importantly, employers are looking for someone who is teachable. They don't want someone who comes in entry level and after a few weeks thinks he knows it all. Be humble, keep your mouth shut, (accept for questions), expect to do the work that comes with being at the bottem of the pole.

Finally, be yourself. Don't try to act like you know something if you don't. If someone askes you to do something that you have no idea how to do it, ask!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

catherine kasonde in Ndola, Zambia

77 months ago

thank you.help me find ajob as an electrician

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

catherine kasonde in Ndola, Zambia

77 months ago

find me a job as an electrician

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

3 stop in La Porte, Texas

74 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming industrial electrician interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

first.... see if your (city, state) requires you to have a license
if so, get one (journeyman,apprentice). when you speak to a recruiter ...look him-her in the eyes and speak to them professionally. if you do not know an answer to a question...
dont lie , if you do not have the expierience on something and you try to bull---- them ...they will know. even though they work in the office... they know what the answers are before they ask you. another point...look the part ....I am an industrial electrician w/ an state journeyman electrician license w/ an NCCER certification ...OSHA certifications and 300 hours of school in commercial/industrial electricity...
I have been an industrial elect. for 15 yrs. and I'm not going to walk into an office wearing a suit!!! Get a pair of steel toed boots. Make sure you are clean from drugs!!!!!!!! some companys will blackball you forever if you fail a drug screen!!!!!!!! Get a copy of the NEC code book and start learning the National Electrical Code. If you are a beginner
and do not have a clue about electicity....you will begin at the lowest pay scale and you will do the most work. most likely ...not only will you have to be the "gofer", but you will be the one that does most of the work....But ---this is how you will learn. I know it will make you mad that the person you work with is making 2 times the money as you and you are doing all of the work ...but you will be doing the same thing as them in 3 to 5 years. Electricians are in demand ... this job will never be replaced by a machine ..and you can work any where in the world, if you have the expierience. you will always be able to support you and your family from this profession.... you will not become rich , but you can make a good living. ***Electricity KILLS****, so be careful!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hahnemm in Columbus, North Carolina

66 months ago

catherine kasonde in Ndola, Zambia said: Thank you for help. I recently completed my power electrical course and seeking for a job, but every Employer is asking for Exeprience.Now how ami going to have exeprience when iam being denied an oppotunity to gain it. help

The Navy/Coast Guard have excelent opertunities for getting experience and you get paid and see the world at the same time. If you don't like the water all that much,the Navy has a engineering division carred the Sea bees that build housing, run generators, and do almost all types of electrical work on land. If you like it,stay in and retire at half pay after 20 years. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bud in Kokomo, Indiana

55 months ago

I have over 30 years of industrial electrician experience
and no one will even talk to me I'm 57 years young
and plands to work 10 more years so i don't think experience works

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

lamar in Victorville, California

54 months ago

Do not emphasize that you have 30 years experience.Just let them know your last 10 years employment.If you walk in and say you have 30 years.I would wonder why you dont have your own business,or Engineering degree.Show them any Documentation you have such as State Licenses,PLC trainining,AC/DC Drives,Mechanical skills such as replacing motor bearings,Gas burner controls.In todays Job Market it does not pay to invest 20 and 30 years with one company or one industry.Last but least do not let them know your age.Someone looking at your age and experienc are threatened that you are a know it alland want to be the boss.Get your resume out there online and be open to relocating.There are jobs in Alaska where you can work 2 weeks and be off 2 weeks.Send your resume to agencies like Aerotek or similar agencies.they have alot of jobs that are not advertised.That are temporary to permanent positions.I have found a couple of jobs this way.It gives you a chance to see if you really want to work there or not.You need to tailor your resume with todays keywords which are PLC,AC/DC drives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SparkyGIRL in Aylmer, Ontario

50 months ago

5 year residential electrician in Slidell, Louisiana said: I'm ready to break into the industrial side of electricians. I've applied at quite a few industrial positions , but no luck . would anyone have a suggestion. Residential is getting boring to me amd I want to stay in the electricial field, but cant seem to break into the industrial side. any suggestions ?

I would say take PLC courses (Programmable Logic Controller). Allen Bradley is the dominate in North America so learn Control Logix 5000.

If you want to get a non-automotive job then also look into Instrumentation courses too. I was laid off from automotive, so I'm currently taking Instrumentation to get into the food industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jack Simpson in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

48 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Warren in Cambridge, Ontario

45 months ago

I have just completed the Electrician program. I have my first interview in two days. The employer that will be interviewing me, has told me that i will be asked question based on my schooling. What kind of questions can i expect to see?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

JAY2000 in Toronto, Ontario

45 months ago

HI GUYS , IM NEW ON THIS SITE , I M TAKING 442A INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN EXAM IN TORONTO , ONTARIO ANY ONE CAN TELL ME SOME GOOD BOOKS , OR AND GOOD TIPS ABOUT EXAM HOW MANY QUESTIONS?? HOW MANY HOURS?? THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

HI GUYS , IM NEW ON THIS SITE , I M TAKING 442A INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN EXAM IN TORONTO , ONTARIO ANY ONE CAN TELL ME SOME GOOD BOOKS , OR ANY GOOD TIPS ABOUT EXAM HOW MANY QUESTIONS?? HOW MANY HOURS?? THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

SparkyGirl in Aylmer, Ontario

45 months ago

JAY2000 in Toronto, Ontario said: HI GUYS , IM NEW ON THIS SITE , I M TAKING 442A INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN EXAM IN TORONTO , ONTARIO ANY ONE CAN TELL ME SOME GOOD BOOKS , OR ANY GOOD TIPS ABOUT EXAM HOW MANY QUESTIONS?? HOW MANY HOURS?? THANK YOU

In November 2005 I took an excellent Industrial Electrician CFQ exam prep course at George Brown College in Toronto. The Casa Loma campus. Look into that. I drove 2 hrs one way every Saturday to take this course, and I aced the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Roger Dodge in Oakville, Ontario said: any study hints for the 442A exam would be appreciated.....

hi roger did u get the 442A EXAM IF U PASS PLZ WRITE ME SOME HELP IM TAKING NEXT MONTH IN TORONTO TOO BYE JAY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

awi in Cambridge, Massachusetts

39 months ago

hi i just completed my engineering in APPLIED ELECTRONICS& INSTRUMENTATION.Now i am thinking to do a course in PLC.Please suggest is it beneficial.
Or should i do anything else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Swampy in San Diego, California

33 months ago

By "bottom of the pole" you must be referring to a totem pole. Little-known fact: The figure at the bottom of a totem pole is actually the MOST revered while consecutively less-revered figures appear increasingly higher on the pole.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

prem in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

32 months ago

i'want' electrician jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Failing Always in Niagara Falls, Ontario

31 months ago

Hi there, can you give me an idea how to pass the exam for 442A in Toronto? My exam will be on Jan 26, 2012.
Thanks.

devi in Georgetown, Guyana

31 months ago

Failing Always in Niagara Falls, Ontario said: Hi there, can you give me an idea how to pass the exam for 442A in Toronto? My exam will be on Jan 26, 2012.
Thanks.

gudluck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jignasha in Brampton, Ontario

25 months ago

JAY2000 in Toronto, Ontario said: HI GUYS , IM NEW ON THIS SITE , I M TAKING 442A INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN EXAM IN TORONTO , ONTARIO ANY ONE CAN TELL ME SOME GOOD BOOKS , OR ANY GOOD TIPS ABOUT EXAM HOW MANY QUESTIONS?? HOW MANY HOURS?? THANK YOU

you can read motor and controls book and code book. exam is 4hour they have two times in a day morning 8to12a.m and afternoon 12to04p.m in toronto.in the exam 100 question is coming and the passing marks is 70. if don't know right answer then just mark any closest answer.wright all 100 question's answer.

from
jig

Alpesh in Scarborough, Ontario

18 months ago

JAY2000 in Toronto, Ontario said: HI GUYS , IM NEW ON THIS SITE , I M TAKING 442A INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN EXAM IN TORONTO , ONTARIO ANY ONE CAN TELL ME SOME GOOD BOOKS , OR AND GOOD TIPS ABOUT EXAM HOW MANY QUESTIONS?? HOW MANY HOURS?? THANK YOU

Hi Jay. you have to appear 100 objective question in industrial electrician exam and if you have electrical experience then you have to do schooling in here after then you can give exam. if you need more help then pls contact me. I all ready pass the exam. I know some of school to get coaching for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Provo, Utah

17 months ago

Thanks for sharing! My husband and I took over his fathers business and are looking to electric contractors. This gave us some great ideas about what to ask and what kind of qualifications are needed. Thanks again! www.crownelectricltd.ca/en/

abhishek in Mumbai, India

1 month ago

Sir please help me how i can get a job as a plc engg as i am from electronics branch . Sir if you give me some reference i would be very thankful to you . Please its a request . Help me

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.