PE in Industrial Engineering

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Chez in Memphis, Tennessee

61 months ago

I am an industrial engineer and would like to obtain my PE in industrial engineering. However, I don't see how it will benefit me other than that it can distinguish me from engineers that don't have a PE. I guess my question is "What can an industrial engineer do with a PE?". I only see civil, structural, mechanical and electrical engineers that have the need to stamp drawings that are produced for public service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Raj in Little Rock, Arkansas

61 months ago

Chez in Memphis, Tennessee said: I am an industrial engineer and would like to obtain my PE in industrial engineering. However, I don't see how it will benefit me other than that it can distinguish me from engineers that don't have a PE. I guess my question is "What can an industrial engineer do with a PE?". I only see civil, structural, mechanical and electrical engineers that have the need to stamp drawings that are produced for public service.

Chez,
I agree that a PE may not be of any additional help in getting jobs.
I know a friend here who has BSIE, MBA and is a PE.
He also feels the same way.
But it is ultimately one of personal interest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Magnoliastar in Greenwood, Mississippi

58 months ago

PE in IE is a waste of time instead do six sigma black belt from ASQ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Albuquerque, New Mexico

52 months ago

Hi,

I have never seen a job that requires an Industrial PE. I once checked the roster of registered PEs in my state and only seven of them were IEs, and one of those was a former professor. It would be of little benefit, I believe, unless you go into academics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Durham, North Carolina

35 months ago

You guys have jobs in IE? I have no idea those exist anymore. I graduated w/ IE in 2008, and saw nothing since then. I've worked in software, Amazon.com managing, and then marketing for a software company. How did you / do you find IE jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J.B. in Norfolk, Virginia

34 months ago

Tom in Durham, North Carolina said: You guys have jobs in IE? I have no idea those exist anymore. I graduated w/ IE in 2008, and saw nothing since then. I've worked in software, Amazon.com managing, and then marketing for a software company. How did you / do you find IE jobs?

@ Tom. Are you kidding me??? Who do you think fills these jobs: Production Engineer, Production Planner, Process Improvement Analyst, Operations Research Analyst, Operations Manager, Modeling and Simulation Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, Project Management, Quality Management, Facility Management, Health and Safety Engineer, etc.

re: PE in IE. Waste of time. Focus on the sub-sector (e.g., Quality, M&S, Supply Chain, etc.) you work within and get a certification that is meaningful in that area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.