Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable inside sales representative? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective inside sales representative?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Sheldon in San Francisco, California

83 months ago

I'm having trouble tracking my outbound calls per day as I get in "zone" and forget to tally these calls. While it seems like an easy problem to remedy I cannot find a simple device to count outbound calls. I've had everyone tell me to just remember to make the mark each time but i want an exact calls per close ratio.
Any input would be appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Erwin Cornstuble in Scottsdale, Arizona

82 months ago

Sheldon in San Francisco, California said: I'm having trouble tracking my outbound calls per day as I get in "zone" and forget to tally these calls. While it seems like an easy problem to remedy I cannot find a simple device to count outbound calls. I've had everyone tell me to just remember to make the mark each time but i want an exact calls per close ratio.
Any input would be appreciated

Sheldon,
With such little info about your company, I can only offer a few thoughts:
*) If you signed an employment agreement specifying how many calls per day, someone is tracking them for you. Possibly your HR, IT, or phone services person.
*) In a call center, your supervisor can analyze your tele-metrics in detail. This would be the best person to speak with.
*) If you have no external measuring source, don't worry about each call. Rather, plot your estimates over the course of a month and divide by number of days for daily average. If you have done this, you will care enough to graph in terms of hours of the day to see when you are most productive.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maui in Mountain View, California

79 months ago

Do you use a CRM like salesforce?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sheldon in San Francisco, California

79 months ago

Thank you all for your input.....
I have quickly discovered the quantity of calls is important but the quality of your prospects are key. I hate to be cliche but "Thinking outside the box" has helped me prospect in different and effective manners.

While I am no longer with the start-up due to mass layoffs I learned invaluable skills and left on great terms. Yes, a good CRM is key and using it to full potential is a must, don't just dump in leads. I found I could track calls and number of closes for a specific prospecting source easily after I began to work closely with the software. Then one can easily take a look for comparisons of all kinds ie. region, source, company size etc.
In the process of interviewing now, feel free to let me know about any opportunities available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Edison, New Jersey

75 months ago

I am a going to soon be a college graduate and am interested in inside sales. Is it more difficult to get into as opposed to client relations? Any recommendations on career paths or companies in the financial services industry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sheldon in San Francisco, California

74 months ago

Sean in Edison, New Jersey said: I am a going to soon be a college graduate and am interested in inside sales. Is it more difficult to get into as opposed to client relations? Any recommendations on career paths or companies in the financial services industry?

Well my friend, try to go on informational interviews with all the people in your personal network. Sales can be rough but worth your time and you will learn valuable skills to be used for the rest of your career regardless of your chosen path.
I found commercial insurance to be very interesting and lord knows the industry needs more producers with integrity. My advice to you is do as much research as possible and look at many industries. There are plenty of good jobs out there regardless of what some may say about the economy. GOOOD LUCK!!!!!
P.S. Get something with a base salary, fresh out of college you'll need it untill you establish a client base

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Sheldon in San Francisco, California said: I'm having trouble tracking my outbound calls per day as I get in "zone" and forget to tally these calls. While it seems like an easy problem to remedy I cannot find a simple device to count outbound calls. I've had everyone tell me to just remember to make the mark each time but i want an exact calls per close ratio.
Any input would be appreciated

record your call attempts, contacts made and sales you want for the day. Make 12 dails per hour then take 5. focus on the goal of how many potential leads that you will make from the day. Most important take those leads and call them in the primetime early morining. The early bird gets the work. I suggest you google Mathew munafano online and get his cold calling secerts. He is a great trainer and it is only 10 bucks.

Jim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dial800 in Beverly Hills, California

68 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a hirable inside sales representative? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective inside sales representative?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

That's a completely open-ended question. What type of training you need will depend on what you're about to try to sell. Also, if you have the personality for it a lot of the training technically you'd need an employer will often provide themselves.

I've found having a personality that fits the company and that can sell well and ethically is the best tool for securing a sale job.

Nancy
www.dial800.com/Pages/Contact.aspx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Santa Ana, California

68 months ago

The best thing to do is get in with a business to business company. You will train yourself as you adjust your script to fit the needs of your customer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sharon denise wallace in Atlanta, Georgia

47 months ago

Sheldon in San Francisco, California said: I'm having trouble tracking my outbound calls per day as I get in "zone" and forget to tally these calls. While it seems like an easy problem to remedy I cannot find a simple device to count outbound calls. I've had everyone tell me to just remember to make the mark each time but i want an exact calls per close ratio.
Any input would be appreciated

use your clock figure our your average call length and go from there... also if your company has more that 6 outbound callers, suggest that they invest in a call tracker software ... surely there are also other types of call tracker devices that are individualized too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sharon denise wallace in Atlanta, Georgia

47 months ago

dial800 in Beverly Hills, California said: That's a completely open-ended question. What type of training you need will depend on what you're about to try to sell. Also, if you have the personality for it a lot of the training technically you'd need an employer will often provide themselves.

I've found having a personality that fits the company and that can sell well and ethically is the best tool for securing a sale job.

Nancy
www.dial800.com/Pages/Contact.aspx

"
find as many " telemarketing "books you can find.. learn the lingo of a telemarketer. also find books on words that SELL.. develop a selling vocabularies .... find also information on listening... inside sales in an art as well as fun. ... find a inside sales profession and master it.. all inside sales are not created equal!

Sharon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.