Is it possible to find an Ed Tech job in the U.S. from overseas?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

darrinucmo in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates

23 months ago

I'm an American from Illinois who has been teaching English overseas for nearly fifteen years. I will be completing an M.S. Educational Technology degree in June, and I would really like to head back to the U.S. and work in instructional design. I'm guessing that it might be difficult to find a job before I get back in the States because most companies rarely or never do phone interviews. Any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christy in Cary, North Carolina

23 months ago

The school where you're getting your master's degree should be able to help you with your search. Talk to the career center and find out what services they offer.

If you have a date that you'll be in the US, try including that information in your cover letter. Even if you'll just be in the country for a week in order to find a place to live, you can schedule some interviews during that time. Even if you won't be here until you do relocate though, explaining the situation and noting that you'll be moving back on your own dime might prevent you from being eliminated right away in the process.

I wish I could tell you that's a guarantee, but the reality is that it will be challenging. When I was searching and trying to relocate just to another part of the US, it took me forever to get a position, even though I was paying for my own relocation.

In the mean time, make sure your portfolio is in terrific shape, so you're ready to apply for jobs as soon as you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.