Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

How did you get your start doing instructional designer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

CD RMA in Pleasanton, CA

94 months ago

You can start off by becoming a subject matter expert and then become a business unit trainer, or do editing work to get in the door. I started out the SME route, but as I have moved into new indursties with in the company I have started off doing editing work. I have also seen people who were meeting planners, faclitators, or production work (coping trainig materials - production assitant or training corrdiantor or training program manager) for a corporation and move from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ID in Washington State in Bothell, Washington

87 months ago

I have a Master's Degree in Instructional Technologies (Training Design and Development), and most of the positions I've been hired for (I'm a consultant now, after a few years as an employee ID) I get rely on that academic training. To get your foot in the door directly to an ID job, you really do need work experience in the field, as well. To start, in grad school I had a year-long paid internship with a training and development consulting firm, and that made it quite easy to get picked up by my choice of employers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colleen in San Diego, California

85 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing instructional designer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I started as a technical trainer. I was recognized for having the ability to instruct. My undergraduate degree is a BS in Education. I now have a Master's in Educational Technology from San Diego State University.

If you are looking for organizations, join ASTD and/or ISPI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn Russo in Bloomfield, New Jersey

85 months ago

One of my clients is looking for a technical trainer are there any job boards just geared towards technical trainers?

Thank you

Carolyn Russo
carolynr@dtsnj.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Craig in Alexandria, Virginia

80 months ago

I started managing a small association's training department and doing the occasional instructor-led training myself. This led to my reworking the training and maintaining training materials. After some time, i was asked to create some web-based training. This took me some time to get into, as I had a trial-by-fire in learning content creation and serving that content via the Internet (not to mention dealing with out-of-country SMEs, budgeting constraints, artists, narrators, and -- not least -- the science of instructional design.

After finishing my first few courses, I realized that I should really go back to school. I went back to get my masters degree in Instructional Design and never looked back. After getting out of my masters program (it.gse.gmu.edu), i found it relatively easy to find fulfilling employment in the Washington DC metro area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lena in Midland, Michigan

76 months ago

I work as Learning & Development analyst in IT department and have to design Computer Based Training for global audience. I am new to the field. Can you give recommedations on software that helps to design CBT training. I have been using Camtasia, but it has poor testing capabilities. Please share with me your online resources that can help learn to design CBT. I am also lookiing to networking with people who design online training related to IT for global audience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn Russo in Fairfield, New Jersey

76 months ago

Lena,

Hi, I apologize that I have not responded sooner. I am a technical recruiter and unfortunately I honestly don't have too many recommendations for you. I would try and find some user groups for CBT.

I am sorry I am not able to help you more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lee

70 months ago

trying using authorware or taking the first two levels of authorware at an art institute school in your area. this is where u will pick up the training and skill the fastest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.