Instrumentation technician jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Pat in Fulton, Texas

66 months ago

I received my degree in 2000 and never landed a job in Instrumentation. Why was an entry level job so hard to find and is it still possible in 2009?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

Pat in Fulton, Texas said: I received my degree in 2000 and never landed a job in Instrumentation. Why was an entry level job so hard to find and is it still possible in 2009?

How many employers have you interviewed with? How far are you willing to move for a job? Are you open to travel (e.g. contract instrumentation work)? The market seems to be closing in some areas with the present "down" economy, but there is still work to be found, and there has definitely been work available over the past nine years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Fulton, Texas

66 months ago

TONY,

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

THE ONLY COMPANY I HAD A TEST AND INTERVIEW WAS DUPONT AROUND 2002. I WAS SIGNED WITH THE TEXAS WORKFORCE COMMISSION AND SENT RESUMES TO REFINERIES AROUND THIS LOCATION. IT SEEMED ALL COMPANIES WANTED EXPERIENCE.

WHEN I GRADUATED I WAS SO DESPERATE FOR A JOB THAT I HAD TO TAKE WHATEVER I COULD GET AND NOT WAIT FOR INSTRUMENTATION JOBS. I AM SO ANGRY THAT I TOOK THIS COURSE BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I WASTED MY TIME AND MONEY.

AS FAR AS MOVING, I AM ALWAYS WILLING TO RELOCATE.

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED AS AN INSTUMENT TECH? I ASSUME THAT IS WHAT YOU DO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Hi Pat,

I currently teach Instrumentation at Bellingham Technical College in Bellingham, WA. A couple of years ago the market was so hot, all my students had jobs before graduation save for two, and they were hired within a month of graduation.

One thing that is helpful to my students is that I help them get set up with internships while they're still in school, to give them experience they can put on a resume when they graduate. Our school is also active in hosting interviews on campus for employers. Even now with the "down" economy, we have employers coming to Bellingham Technical College to recruit.

My advice to you now is to get yourself into some form of technical maintenance job, even if it isn't strictly Instrumentation. My first job, while I was going to college to study Instrumentation, was working in a machine shop doing maintenance on CNC machine tools. I started as a general maintenance person, then applied what I had learned about electronics to the computer controls. It was this experience (two years, part-time: about 25 hours/week) that enabled me to get my first "real" Instrumentation job at an oil refinery. I was told by the refinery that without this hands-on experience, they would not have hired me even though my grades in Instrumentation were top-of-the-class.

Also, never let "5 years minimum experience" dissuade you from submitting a resume and application. Many job descriptions are written by HR people with little or no knowledge of the job requirements, who ask for lots of experience but are only willing to offer starting-level wages. My advice is to broadcast your resume and cover letters to any and all employers hiring, and let THEM tell you you're not experienced enough yet -- never take yourself out of the running because you don't think you match their posted requirements. Persistence pays off.

- Tony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Fulton, Texas

66 months ago

Tony,

Thanks for all the information. I will put your suggestions to work.

Pat Lorenz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Pat in Fulton, Texas said: Tony,

Thanks for all the information. I will put your suggestions to work.

Pat Lorenz

Another way to get experience and position yourself for a stable job later is contract instrumentation work. This usually involves plenty of time spent on the road going from job to job, but the pay is outstanding and the breadth of experience is hard to beat. Contract jobs also (typically) accept people with little experience. For better or for worse, contract work often demands the technician "jump right in" and do complex projects with little or no on-the-job training, which can be disconcerting but at the same time puts you on a fast track learning all the details of your trade.

I recently spoke with a graduate who's been doing nothing but contract work since he graduated in 2007, and he tells me there is still demand out there for contract instrument techs.

- Tony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Fulton, Texas

66 months ago

Tony,

Do you have any websites for those kind of jobs?

Thanks

Pat

66 months ago

Pat in Fulton, Texas said: Tony,

Do you have any websites for those kind of jobs?

Thanks

Pat

Here's a couple:

www.roadtechs.com/

www.udelhoven.com/employ.html

- Tony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Controls guy in Morton, Illinois

50 months ago

Pat,

Are you still looking for a job? Try the midwest, I know of places that are hiring.

PK in Corpus Christi, Texas

50 months ago

Not really. I quite looking in instrumentation years ago.
Thanks.

TONY SINGH in Edmonton, Alberta

35 months ago

I am coming in Canada as a federal point system law. I have more then 12 year experiences
i have hand on knowledge every side.I am full confident.I try to challenge journeyman test. Home county exp not valid. The Basie never changed.it is hard to find because that is not domestic work and industry need Canada industry exp. so it is hard to find instrument work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.