Top instrumentation technician skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every instrumentation technician must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your instrumentation technician expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Corey Russell in Bellingham, Washington

57 months ago

Tony Kuphaldt in Seattle, Washington said: Here are my top 3 skills for instrument technicians:

(1) The ability to learn on your own: technology keeps advancing, so any instrument technician who wishes to remain competent must be able to teach him/herself new technology over time. You cannot rest solely on what you learned in school, or expect other people at work to teach you what you need to know.

(2) The ability to solve problems, and to think diagnostically: the greatest worth of a competent instrument technician is the ability to solve complex problems, because modern instrument systems are exactly that (complex).

(3) The ability to communicate with and relate effectively with others: as an instrument technician, you will often find yourself in a position where you must clearly explain the nature of a complex problem to other employees (operators, engineers, other maintenance personnel) and then work in a team environment to solve that problem, because the solution to the problem requires a coordinated response. This can be especially daunting to a new technician when the people you must convince are higher up in the organization, and/or skeptical of your diagnosis.

Well done. I will be sure to try and highlight those when I interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ola in Durban, South Africa

43 months ago

Thanks Tony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.