Age Factor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Joe Clevelander in Hudson, Ohio

65 months ago

I am an experienced insurance, claim & risk management "pro".
I am very frustrated and discouraged that nobody (agency or company) will hire me and give me a chance to show that I am hard working and loyal. I have had success in client services and customer retention by "being there" whenever there was a problem. I have a lot to offer and willing to start at any level, but I'm beginning to think that nobody wants you if you are over 40. Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated ! Many thanks !

Joe C.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York

65 months ago

Age discrimination does exists in society bigtime. The funny thing is, (actually I should say the sad thing is), that most of the lawmakers and judges who wrote, passed, and are suppose to enforce the laws regarding age discrimination are over 60 and currently employed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Some things you can do:

Make sure no grey hair.
Go back only 10 yrs on your resume.
Act energetic during the interview (versus acting "old").

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Clevelander in Hudson, Ohio

65 months ago

Thanks ! There are several in their 70's and two (now one after they took him and his bridge away !)in their 80's !!!!

65 months ago

Ah yes, that bridge to nowhere.

20 yrs experience - no job yet

64 months ago

I just deleted ten years of relevant experience from my resume to test this age discrimination theory. Crazy isn't it? To think that employers would rather hire someone with LESS experience and knowledge. Go figure.

If I get called for more interviews now, I'll know that age was indeed the reason why they weren't calling me before for jobs I'm extremely well qualified for. Of course, once we meet face-to-face, they will know my age. But, at least I will know then the only reason they're not hiring me is due to my age. (I do well on the phone interview, and come dressed as a professional. So, I'm not blowing it in the interview...it is something else...and I am quite certain age is the factor. I'm over 40.)

How can we all stand up, unite, and get a class action age discrimination law suit going?

Jeff Parker in Little Rock, Arkansas

62 months ago

We have a 72 year old gentleman, And he is kicking butt, dong a lot better than some of the 20-30's agents.

I noticed with dealing with Seniors, He is the guy! A lot higher close ration with our senior clients than young ones like myself.

So I look at it like its an advantage rather than a Disadvantage...

www.todaysinsurancesolution.com/ ---> my agency..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Clevelander in Twinsburg, Ohio

62 months ago

Thanks for your comments Jeff - that's great to hear. I wish someone with your attitude would give me a shot !

Best wishes

Joe C.

Dave the Insurance Guy in Tucson, Arizona

61 months ago

Sounds like you should check out sales, your experience would count for a lot, and there is much less of a barrier to entry... start with the getting started selling insurance forum at www.insurance-forums.net

Norman in London, United Kingdom

61 months ago

Personally I don't think you should change your appearance to get a job. If a company won't employ you because of your age why would you want to work for them?
I had the same problem a few years ago and found a multiple selection of insurance companies that would hire me no matter my age, colour of my hair or energetic levels!
If your serious about finding a well-paid, friendly job in this industry then you should try contacting Constructaquote as they may be able to offer you the same as the offered me.
Their URL is www.constructaquote.com
Hope this can be very helpful for you.

Joe Clevelander in Northfield, Ohio

61 months ago

Thanks for your comments - I agree that changing your appearance is probably not a viable idea. I will check out the company/site that you mentioned.

Kindest regards.

Joe Clevelander

Mindy in Friesland, Wisconsin

58 months ago

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York said: Some things you can do:

Make sure no grey hair.
Go back only 10 yrs on your resume.
Act energetic during the interview (versus acting "old").

In Wisconsin, you rarely get an interview when you're over 55, just a temp agency passing your resume around with another couple hundred. Most people think my granddaughter is my daughter, but employers don't see me. They merely see a piece of paper, so how would they know if you look young? Personally, I don't think a resume means much. When I attended a job fair 2 years ago, I got hired on the spot because they needed people. No one cared if I had a degree, or what my hobbies were, just that I had worked in a call center before. They didn't run background checks either, just wanted you to come into work in 2 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JD Webb in Boise, Idaho

49 months ago

Is this a current insurance thread. It seems dated

Joe Clevelander in Twinsburg, Ohio

49 months ago

yes, it is somewhat dated. However, the problem remains - if you are over 40 it is almost impossible to get past the resume step since they don't want to talk with you. Suggestions ? Job leads ?

Thank You.

Joe Clevelander

EAGiL PRO in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey

45 months ago

This is a myth - the general agency I work with loves seasoned agents and partners with many who are well over 40!
Maybe you are just barking up the wrong tree!

Joe Clevelander in Macedonia, Ohio

45 months ago

Thanks for your comments ! I wish that I could say that, but I haven't run into any agencies that practice the "value added" that experience brings. I have "barked" up many, many trees. If you hear of possibilities, please let me know. Thanks again !

Joe C.

EAGiL PRO in Mahwah, New Jersey

45 months ago

The best possibility I can pass along would be EAGiL Financial, LLC. They ONLY partner with season veterans, most of which are in their 40's, 50's, and 60's!
They want the best, and they want experts in the business. If you're in the Life Insurance game and are a good producer, let me know. Maybe I can pass your name along and see if it's worth it for you.

Joe Clevelander in Macedonia, Ohio

45 months ago

Thanks - you are very kind ! However, All of my experience with Insurance, Claims, and Risk Management is on the Property & Casualty side of our business. Please keep me in mind if you come across any "P&C" opportunities.

Best regards.

Joe C.

EAGiL PRO in Mahwah, New Jersey

45 months ago

Hi Joe,

I will definitley keep you in mind. Also, should you come across any experienced agents or financial pros who would benefit from our services, please let me know.

Pamela McKingley
pammckingley@eagil.com

www.eagilfinancial.com

Take care!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.