Is this a good time to become an insurance agent???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Trish in San Jose, California

20 months ago

With the economy in the state that it’s in, is this a good time to go into insurance as an agent? I was thinking about both p&c and life, but have heard that health is doing well right now. As a single parent, I want to provide a good living for my family. I have worked as a customer service rep for a commodities/futures brokerage in the past, bringing in a lot of money, but never compensated for it in a fair and just way. I would work hard to bring in clientele only to have a broker make all the commissions from my work. I’ve thought about getting my series 3 license and become a futures broker, but I’ve seen way too many people lose their life savings, and when I asked other brokers how they know what to invest in for their clients they have no clue. They just guess and literally gamble their clients’ money away. I don’t want to do that. I don’t want to hurt anyone financially, and I know even if I passed the series 3 exam I wouldn’t know what to do either. So I’m thinking maybe insurance will be good instead, where I can help people financially instead of hurting them financially.
Is this a good time to get into insurance in California? Also, is there a website or something that has the commission rates, average agent’s income, cost of leads provided, etc… for all the major insurance companies? I’m reading so many different things about different companies; it’s enough to make your head spin. I just want to be paid fairly in terms of business and money I bring into the company, and earn a comfortable living providing for my children. Also (and this is big thing for me), I don’t want to solicit my family and friends for business. I would feel comfortable doing that after I’ve established a legitimate successful track record, but not before that (meaning years in the business). I don’t want my family and friends running away from me or avoiding me because they think I’m going to try and sell them something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

John O. in Corona, California

15 months ago

Trish in San Jose, California said: With the economy in the state that it’s in, is this a good time to go into insurance as an agent? I was thinking about both p&c and life, but have heard that health is doing well right now.
Trish, Yes, now is the best time. If you really want to help people and families, start with Life & Health first so you can test the water. If it's for you and you're doing well then you can get other licenses. As far as your family and friends in regards to this business, you're not selling it to them, just show them how you can help families and they can help you by referring their people to you if they don't want the service yet. Doing this will give you a peace of mind that you have shared this to them and God forbid something bad happens to them and knowing that you could have help them financial but you didn't. Think about that; How would you feel? Here's my email: johnortiz1972@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

whatapromise in Hopkinsville, Kentucky

13 months ago

It is a great time to start in health care. If you would like to talk about it email me at starvisionphotography@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mia P in San Antonio, Texas

4 months ago

Hi, my name is Mia. I am recruiting insurance agents to work with me at liveops. It's an online community that works with customers over the phone at home. Create your own schedule because you will work the hours you want. Please email me at perezmia91@yahoo.com thank you.
Mia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.