Questions about getting my Property and Casualty license

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Kim in Phoenix, Arizona

16 months ago

Hello I'm a 40 year old female looking for a possible career change. I have been in I.T. sales for about 12 years, commission only and just kind of burned out and want a change. I am comm only but have always done ok 50-60k a year and I work from home. I get no health benefits and going through a divorce so I will lose my benefits. I have 2 young kids and looking for a change in my life. I really do not know anything about insurance. I have bought it all my life but never sold it so I have alot to learn. Where is the best place to take a course, preferably online, approx cost and time frame involved? And is the test given in person? Also I would like to work for a company while I learn the ropes. I would like a base plus comm and would like to make close to what I make now is that even possible? What are some decent companies to work for and who should I avoid at all costs? Will property and casualty allow me to sell home, car, what else and is there additional licenses for health/life?

Thanks you for any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

slkenn in Atlanta, Georgia

15 months ago

Kim if you are able to make $50-60k from home that's awesome. I currently have my P&C license. I have worked for 3 different agents for a short period of time and all through the same company. I'm a little younger than you, but I have realized working alone, working for yourself, or working from home is the way to go. I worked from home for about 4 or 5 years and I miss it. I wasn't getting benefits, but I had my sanity and I still don't have benefits. Luckily my husband has them at the current moment. Many of the independent agents don't provide benefits. If you are looking for a career in insurance you want to look corporate, starting your own agency, or look at independent opportunities which would increase your earning potiental. You also may want to look at adjuster or underwriting opportunities is you're trying to maintain current salary or increases as well. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John O in Corona, California

11 months ago

Kim in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hello I'm a 40 year old female looking for a possible career change. I have been in I.T. sales for about 12 years, commission only and just kind of burned out and want a change. I am comm only but have always done ok 50-60k a year and I work from home. I get no health benefits and going through a divorce so I will lose my benefits. I have 2 young kids and looking for a change in my life. I really do not know anything about insurance . I have bought it all my life but never sold it so I have alot to learn. Where is the best place to take a course, preferably online, approx cost and time frame involved? And is the test given in person? Also I would like to work for a company while I learn the ropes. I would like a base plus comm and would like to make close to what I make now is that even possible? What are some decent companies to work for and who should I avoid at all costs? Will property and casualty allow me to sell home, car, what else and is there additional licenses for health/life?

Thanks you for any advice.

Kim, If you would like to know more about the insurance/financial industry, email at johnortiz1972@gmail.com with your contact number. Oh, yes you do need to take the test personally. Suggest to take Life and Health test first.
Much Success, John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lucia in Scranton, Pennsylvania

3 months ago

can someone tell me how hard it is to take it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lydia in Burbank, California

2 months ago

John O in Corona, California said: Kim, If you would like to know more about the insurance/ financial industry, email at johnortiz1972@gmail.com with your contact number. Oh, yes you do need to take the test personally. Suggest to take Life and Health test first.
Much Success, John

My degree was in Information Systems but I have been an Executive Assistant at an insurance company for 4 years now. I am in my late 20s and I would like to start something that will lead into a career. I have been told that I have strong analytical skills. If I want to get into insurance (since I'm already in the field), which do you suggest I choose? P&C or L&H?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.