Questions about getting my Property and Casualty license

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Kim in Phoenix, Arizona

27 months ago

Hello I'm a 40 year old female looking for a possible career change. I have been in I.T. sales for about 12 years, commission only and just kind of burned out and want a change. I am comm only but have always done ok 50-60k a year and I work from home. I get no health benefits and going through a divorce so I will lose my benefits. I have 2 young kids and looking for a change in my life. I really do not know anything about insurance. I have bought it all my life but never sold it so I have alot to learn. Where is the best place to take a course, preferably online, approx cost and time frame involved? And is the test given in person? Also I would like to work for a company while I learn the ropes. I would like a base plus comm and would like to make close to what I make now is that even possible? What are some decent companies to work for and who should I avoid at all costs? Will property and casualty allow me to sell home, car, what else and is there additional licenses for health/life?

Thanks you for any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

slkenn in Atlanta, Georgia

26 months ago

Kim if you are able to make $50-60k from home that's awesome. I currently have my P&C license. I have worked for 3 different agents for a short period of time and all through the same company. I'm a little younger than you, but I have realized working alone, working for yourself, or working from home is the way to go. I worked from home for about 4 or 5 years and I miss it. I wasn't getting benefits, but I had my sanity and I still don't have benefits. Luckily my husband has them at the current moment. Many of the independent agents don't provide benefits. If you are looking for a career in insurance you want to look corporate, starting your own agency, or look at independent opportunities which would increase your earning potiental. You also may want to look at adjuster or underwriting opportunities is you're trying to maintain current salary or increases as well. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John O in Corona, California

22 months ago

Kim in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hello I'm a 40 year old female looking for a possible career change. I have been in I.T. sales for about 12 years, commission only and just kind of burned out and want a change. I am comm only but have always done ok 50-60k a year and I work from home. I get no health benefits and going through a divorce so I will lose my benefits. I have 2 young kids and looking for a change in my life. I really do not know anything about insurance . I have bought it all my life but never sold it so I have alot to learn. Where is the best place to take a course, preferably online, approx cost and time frame involved? And is the test given in person? Also I would like to work for a company while I learn the ropes. I would like a base plus comm and would like to make close to what I make now is that even possible? What are some decent companies to work for and who should I avoid at all costs? Will property and casualty allow me to sell home, car, what else and is there additional licenses for health/life?

Kim, If you would like to know more about the insurance/financial industry, email at johnortiz1972@gmail.com with your contact number. Oh, yes you do need to take the test personally. Suggest to take Life and Health test first.
Much Success, John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lucia in Scranton, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

can someone tell me how hard it is to take it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lydia in Burbank, California

14 months ago

John O in Corona, California said: Kim, If you would like to know more about the insurance/ financial industry, email at johnortiz1972@gmail.com with your contact number. Oh, yes you do need to take the test personally. Suggest to take Life and Health test first.
Much Success, John

My degree was in Information Systems but I have been an Executive Assistant at an insurance company for 4 years now. I am in my late 20s and I would like to start something that will lead into a career. I have been told that I have strong analytical skills. If I want to get into insurance (since I'm already in the field), which do you suggest I choose? P&C or L&H?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MIAA in Lincoln, Nebraska

8 months ago

Kim,

Midwest Insurance Agency Alliance, Inc. (MIAA) assists smaller Independent Agencies in obtaining more carriers and helps captive agents, producers, and life/health/financial agents start their new insurance agency and be independent insurance agents. MIAA also works with existing larger independent insurance agencies to raise commission levels and increase profit sharing with Strategic Partnership Insurance Carriers.

We help you with then entire process from start to finish. It is nice to have insurance resources at your convenience.

Feel free to give us a call
or
visit our website: www.miaainsurance.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lenorap in Duluth, Georgia

1 month ago

Please Help !! I am in my late 50's and I have worked all my life mostly in Healhcare for over 35 years. Now the company I was employed with relocated in FL so I have not work for a little while now, but in that time I work in the Healthcare,in Billing, AR collections field for over 15yr's. Now I want a changes in my life so I can find a company that looking for independent hard working mid age woman who would like to work from home. I have always been a hard working person that •Self-motivated with•excellent communication skills - written, verbal and listener and customer service. I also have good computer skills too. My question is ? I study years ago for the P&C license test back in 2007 Fail at 52% and in 2008 Fail 59%. I took classes at PLG Insurance School Atlanta GA. I really want to ace my test next time. Please if you can help me or make an suggestion" Lord knows I truly would appreciated it . Looking for P&C Trainee Job position for P&C Insurance Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lenorap in Duluth, Georgia

1 month ago

Please Help !! I am in my late 50's and I have worked all my life mostly in Healhcare for over 35 years. Now the company I was employed with relocated in FL so I have not work for a little while now, but in that time I work in the Healthcare,in Billing, AR collections field for over 15yr's. Now I want a changes in my life so I can find a company that looking for independent hard working mid age woman who would like to work from home. I have always been a hard working person that •Self-motivated with•excellent communication skills - written, verbal and listener and customer service. I also have good computer skills too. My question is ? I study years ago for the P&C license test back in 2007 Fail at got an 52% and in 2008 Fail got an 59%. I took classes at PLG Insurance School Atlanta GA. I really want to ace my test next time. Please if you can help me or make an suggestion" Lord knows I truly would appreciated it . Looking for P&C Trainee Job position for P&C Insurance Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DSal in Rancho Cucamonga, California

1 month ago

Hi. I have been in the accounting field for over 12 years and I lost my job 2 years ago. A friend of mine does P&C insurance and she's trying to convince me to get my license. I have NO IDEA how to do insurance. And i'm not too good at sales (at least I don't think I am). Would it be a good idea for me to take a course and get my license? And what are the benefits of me having the license? I have two kids at home and no help with babysitting so working at home is something I've been trying to do because I lost my last job because of day care issues. Any response would be helpful.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Georges team in Colorado Springs, Colorado

1 month ago

Kim in Phoenix, Arizona said: Hello I'm a 40 year old female looking for a possible career change. I have been in I.T. sales for about 12 years, commission only and just kind of burned out and want a change. I am comm only but have always done ok 50-60k a year and I work from home. I get no health benefits and going through a divorce so I will lose my benefits. I have 2 young kids and looking for a change in my life. I really do not know anything about insurance . I have bought it all my life but never sold it so I have alot to learn. Where is the best place to take a course, preferably online, approx cost and time frame involved? And is the test given in person? Also I would like to work for a company while I learn the ropes. I would like a base plus comm and would like to make close to what I make now is that even possible? What are some decent companies to work for and who should I avoid at all costs? Will property and casualty allow me to sell home, car, what else and is there additional licenses for health/life?

Kim,
I am interested in speaking with you about what you are going through and can be reached at gmaldonadoteam@gmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JFL in Oak Park, Illinois

22 days ago

To Lenorap in GA. I hope that you have found what you are searching for. After reading your comment. I wanted to try to help or at least send good luck vibes your way. Since you mentioned your background in healthcare. I would look into medical billing/coding from home. I hear it's high in demand and a strong skill set for the future. You can possibly get involved with a huge health insurance company in Atlanta Georgia. Mass Mutual? Also if you want to see about getting licensed many insurance companies pay for your license attempts. Keep on taking them until you pass them. Study with a person that has passed the part you were not so strong on. There are good companies to work for. Geico, Progressive, Cigna, Coventry, Kaiser Permanente, Nationwide, State Farm, Met life, and Safe Auto. I am sure that you qualify to work for them in the billing department, customer service, underwriting, claims, and sales. Well hope this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JFL in Oak Park, Illinois

22 days ago

Hi DSAL, I had no idea whatsoever when I started selling insurance and talking about it either. I learned as I went along and asked questions. I got started at an Allstate call center in Illinois. This company trained me and P&C licensed me. Usually the great ones are still able to do so. Some however pay for your attempts to take the test until you pass. I hear a few give you three chances and some only two then the third is on you. It's different all over. But I suggest you start off with Safeway Insurance, Progressive Insurance, Infinity Insurance, Mercury, or a State Farm. But with your background in accounting. I also feel you would be a strong fit for these other insurance companies that sell financial products. So AAA, Transpacific Financial, Merrill Lynch, and Charles Schwab. If you want to work from home maybe some accommodate or if you go instead for a Life and Health insurance license you may be able to make your own hours and make great commission at the same time. My last suggestion is since you have a strong accounting background. Make business cards and on one side do Tax preparation on the other side do cpa. I don't know what certifications or training you need for this but I imagine it's easy to get. Make your own hours, be your own boss. Get the notary public stamp for yourself too. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.