Life after Intel Analyst

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

sal in New York, New York

47 months ago

So I have this job as an intel analyst for the gov but not the military-I am bored with it. What else can I do? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of job (corporate) I can look for? I dont think I want anything intel related..maybe research..thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

C. Abdalla in Detroit, Michigan

44 months ago

Go back to school... get your MA or Ph.D in security studies or international relations. You will never lose out by investing in your education. I'm interested to understand why you are bored?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jon in Landstuhl, Germany

44 months ago

C. Abdalla do you think that International relations would be better than political science degree for intel jobs?

csabdalla in Detroit, Michigan

44 months ago

Hi Jon,
Listen, my friend, everyone is doing a political science degree and many are doing an IR degree, BUT you have to look ahead and find out what the critical areas of need/knowledge/language will be and create YOUR NICHE. Cybersecurity, SIGNET, Global Spatial, etc. are going MASSIVE. Russian languages will be big. Find out what MOVES YOU and follow the yellow brick road and be ambitious and SEPARATE YOURSELF FROM THE PACK. I look around my grad class and most of these kids just want a JOB but don't necessarily have VISION about all the possibilities and what MOVES them. Do you want to work in an embassy, do you want to do Foreign Service and in what capacity, do you want to go into clandestine service. All of these areas are a certain culture and a certain lifestyle. What get's your blood pumping, man?? If I was 10 years younger I would be totally down with being a gun toting, knife wielding, door busting mega ultra super lightening agent babe, but alas, I am over 37 and have little kids and it's too late for me...but it may suit you at this point to investigate becoming an agent if THAT is what excites you.

I will say this to help you, the more focused and specific about WHAT you want to concentrate in, the easier it will be for you to focus your energy and direction and the easier it will be to find a position. For instance, my background, language and cultural skills are North African and my desire is to become expert with a concentration in that region and currently pursuing an MA in Intelligence Analysis. All that I am doing is exploring future options and I know more education is NEVER a loss.

Does anything I said help??

43 months ago

Yeah that helps. I actually enjoy what I do now as a correlation analyst. I decided to go for a poli sci just because it interests me and will bring more oppurtunities. If I ever want to be a diplomat or lobbyist in the future it could help as well. My goal is to create a diverse backround so I can have pletny of options when it comes time to move on from the military. I am a little older as well (29). I think being a clandestine agent would be cool, but for the most part I am just looking for stability. As far as jobs go I think in intel is one of best jobs to have esp compared to the rest of them out there. I am suprised at how many people who I work with now who dislike it. Mostly younger people who never had any other kind of job or been in a place of haveing no job security. I have worked retail, construction, granite, moveing companies..blah jobs. Thanks for the input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Actually looking again at your comment I am not sure extacly what my focus will be on yet. Right now I work with imint and sigint as a fusion lead. I am more in the field of general military analysis with all source reporting/products etc. But I work with a fair amount of SIGINT with NSA net and DGIF clients etc. My bacholors degree is in criminal intelligence and I always thought the FBI would be a cool place to work as an analyst doing CI kind of stuff. I am pretty much interested in the whole field so I a guess I am lucky in that aspect. I have a thirst for knowlege. When I was growing up I did not pay too much attention in classes and partied a lot so I am at the point in my life now where this stuff actually interests me and enjoy it. Again stability is key for me. I would rather be in a 9-5 job in one location than hoping around country to country. I been in Europe for over a year and have a couple years left..so when that is up I will be ready to go to a more permanent location. I would love to get back to alaska so I can get back into flying on my time off. But I realize these jobs are mostly on the east coast/dc area. But who knows maybe I will luck out.

Sal in New York, New York

43 months ago

C. Abdalla in Detroit, Michigan said: Go back to school... get your MA or Ph.D in security studies or international relations. You will never lose out by investing in your education. I'm interested to understand why you are bored?

Because I sit behind a computer and have no people interaction. I do not see the results of my work and I feel as if I am pigeon holed into this field-not to mention I dont see any results.
Thank you for your reply

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.