Looking for a job in Interior Design.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 112)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Laura in Santa Monica, California

120 months ago

I have been struggling to find a job in Interior Design. What is the best way for me to go about looking for my dream job? Would it be best for me to start off as an Interior Design Assistant?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

crissyx in Clermont, Florida

102 months ago

I an out of luck interior designer, I have been struggleing for 11 months to find a position with in a design firm. I attended a 2-year Community College with an Associates of Science degree in Interior Design Technologies. I hired by a facilities design department, as a Jr. Interior Designer. I worked in the Large Project Division individually and on team coordinated projects throughout the campus and on outside contracted projects. I worked in this position for three years. I have always wanted to work in hospitality design, but because of my background in facilities design, I have been unable to get my foot in at hospitality design firms, any suggestions?

Reply - Report abuse

Anita in Markham, Ontario

100 months ago

Hey, i graduated from the interior design program, and am currently looking for a job, even internship is ok, but do we have to have a full portfolio, does every firm ask for it? And how should i go about doing my search?

Reply - Report abuse

Sergio in Alexandria, Virginia

97 months ago

I live in the DC metro area and I can defiantly tell you it is tough, especially if you are just starting off, and do not know any one in the field. I have a 4 yr degree in interior design, and out here every one tells me you need 1+ amount of years of experience and that's for an entry level position. So after hearing that more then 50 times, I have felt discouraged. I just moved here 7 months ago and I have had 2 interviews at furniture stores, even if I do not want to work in residential. I am seriously thinking of going back to study something totally different. I'm stuck working at a Starbucks for now.

Reply - Report abuse

Interiorgirl in Amesbury, Massachusetts

96 months ago

I am just finishing my A.S. Degree in Interior Design and I think it's funny that she wants to skip through all the education and just go for it. It's not that easy!

Reply - Report abuse

Bridget S in Dallas, Texas

96 months ago

For those of you wanting to be an Interior Decorator in North Texas --Interiors by Decorating Den might be your answer--I have been with them for 2 years and the clients just keep on coming--I'm finally doing what I love most--if you have any questions you can contact me --bridget.decden@yahoo.com

Reply - Report abuse

mseif14 in Hector, Arkansas

96 months ago

I have been struggling to find a position in interior design as well. I have a bachelor's degree in interior design from a CIDA accredited college since May 2008, I am an active member of ASID, and currently live in New York. I have been searching the entire United States as well as Canada for an entry-level position. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reply - Report abuse

select1975 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

95 months ago

Bridget S in Dallas, Texas said: For those of you wanting to be an Interior Decorator in North Texas --Interiors by Decorating Den might be your answer--I have been with them for 2 years and the clients just keep on coming--I'm finally doing what I love most--if you have any questions you can contact me --bridget.decden@yahoo.com

Do you do this full time and find it enough work and money to keep you financially sound?

Reply - Report abuse

Design101 in Oakland, California

91 months ago

I am looking for some advices of what is the best way to get the job even it is an entry level. I am doing some free lance consultation job for color, FFE, and had some overseas commercial experience before. I had bachelor degree overseas and I finished AA in Interior Design.

Commercial and hospitality projects are my preference. Most of the opening require advance software skill and at least 3 years of expereicne. Retail is my final option for just to get a job.
Thanks.

Reply - Report abuse

Vicki in Houston, Texas

91 months ago

Hello, I am seeking a job as an assistant for an Interior Designer. Recently, I have completed a 2 year college Associates degree of Science in Interior Design. I am a current ASID member. Money is good. However, would Love the experience!

Reply - Report abuse

Kate in San Francisco, California

90 months ago

Job Interior Design in Frisco, Texas said: I May have a job lead for you depending on exactly what your sills are.
SpringfieldNow@yahoo.com

Any lead in San Francisco area?

Reply - Report abuse

Sally in Brooklyn, New York

87 months ago

Hi

I am graduate from the 5 year architecture program at Pratt Institute. I have 1 year experience as a Junior Architect and know AutoCAD, 3dmax, rhino, illustrator and photoshop very well. Ideally I am looking for an entry level interior designer or assistant positions. I have also done several internships at very well known design firms in NYC while in school. I am willing to relocate for the right position, so i would really appreciate if anyone notifies me of any position.

Thank you,
Sally

Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Hello everyone!

I too have come across the same situation. I graduated from a CIDA accredited program and achieved a Bachelor of Science from The Art Institute of Pittsburgh with a focus in Interior Design in March of 2009. I moved to Las Vegas, Nevada after graduation, hoping to build a career there. I spent almost a year just looking for a job in interior design, but there weren't any job postings to even apply for. I recently moved to Los Angeles about two weeks ago to continue my search for my dream job.....still things have proven difficult to find junior positions. However, I will say there seems to be more opportunity here than where I came from. I honestly believe if you just try not to get frustrated and continue to have faith that your efforts will eventually pay off, then they will. You can't give up. Good luck to everyone out there. And of course....if any one happens to have any leads as far as where to apply in the Los Angeles area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ever so much,

Haley

Reply - Report abuse

missdugie in Hammond, Louisiana

83 months ago

Hello Everyone.
I am currently a senior at SLU majoring in visual arts/digital art. I am REALLY interested in pursuing a career in interior design. I'm aware that I need to at least attend an accredited university and have at least 60 hours of interior design courses, BUT I really do not know what school to go to. I was considering attending school in New Orleans at Delgado but when I am not sure if New Orleans is a good place for me to find an entry level job to be eligible to take the certification exam. I'm also not even sure if internships help because some of them give academic credit in which doesn't make it work experience in my desired field. Any Advice?? Any would help because I don't know of any interior designers to program counselors to guide me.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

acurrier in Boston, Massachusetts

83 months ago

I would recommend that you connect with the resources person at either ASID (residntially oriented) or IIDA (commercially oriented){national trade groups for interior designers}and seek info on some local interior design or architectural firms with interior design so you can have a face to face conversation with a professional. Being very clear about why you want to persue this career path is most important. Attending a FIDER Accredited and technically oriented college is very important for commercial design. I believe that you will find that a strong emphasis on completing a semester long internship can make a major differnce in your being prepared - to me it is critical. One such school is Endicott College in Beverly, MA. At this point in time, it is very challenging to get a job in interior design due to the state of the construction world. It should improve over the next 4 years.

Reply - Report abuse

Mercedes in Boston, Massachusetts

82 months ago

Hi everyone,
I'm an interior decorator student. I am constantly looking for internship positions in an interior design business (I need 200 hours free internship) and seem like I don't have any luck at all. If anyone is looking for/ knows of a position at an Interior Design firm, please let me know, I will really appreciate.
Thank you,

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

acurrier in Quincy, Massachusetts

82 months ago

Mercedes - If you are looking for a full time internship, send me your resume - we are based in Newburyport and not Quincy. acurrier@currierdesigns.com

Reply - Report abuse

Jacqueline in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

I am a graduate with a Bachelor of Science in interior design. I have such a passion for interior design but I have had little luck with my job search. I am not discouraged, and will keep pushing to find that great job in design that I am seeking.
I practically speak the language of Autodesk, with Revit Architecture and Autocad software along with other 3d modeling and rendering tools. I am currently in Pittsburgh, PA but I have plans to relocate to the Irvine, California area. If anyone has any tips for relocating in general, or information regarding open positions in this area of California, please let me know.

Thank you for reading,
Jacqueline

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Sanjukta Sil Upadhyay in Germantown, Maryland

82 months ago

Hello!
I am looking for a position of Interior Design assistant/ Junior Designer in around Metro DC, preferably Montgomery county, MD. I am a recent graduate in Interior Design from Montgomery College. So far, I had no luck in finding any job. I know autocad and won awards and was on the Dean's list. I cannot work after 5:00pm and on the weekends on a regular basis. Does anyone have any leads for me.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

talithacrallie in Columbus, Ohio

82 months ago

I live in Columbus, OH. I have been laid off of work from an architect firm that I worked at for over a year, as a Junior Interior Designer. I also worked for The Ohio State University Medical Center as an Planning Associate intern, for over a year. If anyone knows of any leads in Columbus, I would love to hear about it. I have been off work for 3 weeks now, and the jobs just don't seem to be out there. I have a bachelor's degree from a FIDER accredited program at The Ohio State University in their Space Design program of which I graduated from in 2008. To this point, I have been working in the healthcare industry and enjoy it, but I would not be so picking as to not look in other areas of design. Thank you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jriley5269 in Bedford, Texas

81 months ago

I graduated a few months ago from Texas Tech with a bachelor of interior design degree. I also did my internship at Ducan Miller Ullmann, a well respected hospitality firm in Dallas. I'm getting discouraged because it seems like NO ONE wants to hire someone just out of college, with little experience. I just want my foot in the door but it's so frustrating not getting the chance to do so. I am willing to do residential or commercial. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated!!

Reply - Report abuse

tobcstyle in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

Advice: To most people who are starting out in the field, the design community is a who's -who environment. It is tough to suggest to stick to one area. I think a REALLY talented designer is one who's knowledgeable in all areas of design. You will find that it's busy work that is fun and reaps great rewards! Just remember, when the market takes a hit, we will feel it too! Chin up and nothing personal...the world is just waiting for us!

I am a mid-level designer seeking a creative design position. I currently have accumulative of five plus years in commercial interiors with an emphasis in product specification; looking for a more challenging avenue. I am not NCIDQ tested yet, very unfortunate, but plan to be in the near future. I am willing to relocate if it's the right fit. Questions, comments or referrals, please contact me.

Thanks so much!

Reply - Report abuse

FromInside in Maryland

81 months ago

I am at the other end of the spectrum on this debate... the Design Business Owner.

I have a team of people including another designer who are working in a new creative way in the field to fill a niche. We are always looking for good people in interior design.

But, a word of advice to people... one thing to add to your resumes. Make sure you have some type of strong, proven sales work that is not of the "pushy", old-fashioned variety. It is a new age. It is a new industry and people expect things to be presented to them in a completely different way now.

If you have something to offer and are located and connected in the Maryland/ Virginia/ DC area, send me your resume. I would love to see it. I can't promise anything, but I do read things sent to me. (except harassment... or constant, constant requests!)

I'm sorry that I can't look at anyone outside the area. Use whatever connections you made in school to network to design people through Social Networking or any other means, is the best advice I can offer. Unfortunately, yes, you do need to be good with connections for this business. It is a people-oriented field. That is part of the job. Facebook is one of the best places to connect. Keep a blog. Make sure you Twitter. And more. I kid you not... it really does count. That's how I find my people.

Thanks and Best of Luck in Your Job Searches!

Reply - Report abuse

FromInside in Maryland

81 months ago

Sanjukta Sil Upadhyay in Germantown, Maryland said: Hello!
I am looking for a position of Interior Design assistant/ Junior Designer in around Metro DC, preferably Montgomery county, MD. I am a recent graduate in Interior Design from Montgomery College. So far, I had no luck in finding any job. I know autocad and won awards and was on the Dean's list. I cannot work after 5:00pm and on the weekends on a regular basis. Does anyone have any leads for me.

Have you considered continuing your education at Marymount University? They have an excellent success rate for hiring in the area and a great intern program.

The best thing you can do is further your education into a bachelor's and get full-accred. It is something you should REALLY think about.

Don't despair. I went to Montgomery College and was Dean's List. (I am NOT kidding!) Mine was for Business, though. All my Design friends rave about Marymount grads they work with in this area. It really seems to prepare people well for their careers.

Keep in touch.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jlwht in Tulsa, Oklahoma

81 months ago

It is tough right now, but I see work in our area just beginning to pick up (wishful thinking?). My advice in the current environment is to be flexible - maybe even be willing to work 'contract' for less than full time...emphasize what you can do for a company. I'm getting a lot of resume's right now, but they typically don't catch my eye (we're not hiring currently, but if the right person shows up with the right proposal sometimes companies create a position for them). Frankly what I want to see in an entry level designer (or even a potential higher level...) is someone who has solid ACAD ability (can even pitch in on construction drawings for non-interiors areas), is humble enough to organize the sample room and do other support functions; has a 'team' attitude, wants to learn, creates ways to be useful to the business, and has Common Sense (a very valuable asset). Design talent is obviously important but it is extremely difficult to gauge from a resume' or even a portfolio. If a person has the basic skills and characteristics listed above, they will eventually earn more influence in project design.

JL White
sharedvis.wordpress.com/

Reply - Report abuse

tobcstyle in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

First, I want to express my gratitute for the business owners and headhunters for taking the time out to respond! It is really good advice and provides perspective of what is expected in our current environment. Indeed is a good website and offers good opportunities for both ends.

Next, I would like to share that in my experience, niche areas are great! It gives you the opportunity to excell and become proficiant in one area. One of the many reasons why interior design is such a fabulous career choice is the different avenues it offers. Since 2001, technology alone has modified the design world. I'm excited to be involved and am interested to see how it evolves.

And lastly, I have found that even though I was in a specialized position, it has forced me to reflect on my career choices. They are not bad becuase they made me excell in areas that I was not proficient in. However, now I feel limited and see my being unemployed as an opportunity to reacquaint myself in areas that have been neglected.

I hope that my imput helps others out there...Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!
Cyndi B.

Reply - Report abuse

Ginny Lin in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

I am looking for experience in the interior design industry. Whether it is as an assistant designer, organizing a materials library, or receptionist work, I want to be in the field. I have finished four years of schooling plus a one year internship and I am looking to contribute in any way I can to the interior design community. Collaboration is as important as working solo when I design and incorporating sustainability throughout projects is key to me. I am looking for paid work but am willing to consider up to six weeks of non paid work.

I graduated with a BFA majoring in interior design from Kendall College of Art and Design in Grand Rapids, MI. I am an ASID member. For the past year I have been working with non-profit organizations in conjunction with Kendall as an intern. Being part of the first group for this internship I have assisted in creating how the internship should function, created original floor plans and transferred blueprints into AutoCAD, organized and conducted client meetings and presentations, and formulated design solutions.

I feel that I am more than ready for an entry level position and have found myself in the same position as everyone else on here. I've screened all job boards and posted my resume on select ones and even started paying for more exclusive job search tools. I've only lived in Houston a little over 2 months so any suggestions as to where designers spend their time after work or any suggestion for that matter is greatly appreciated. I'm looking to find a community as well as work here in Houston.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

TDF in San Francisco, California

76 months ago

I am looking for a position with an architecture/interior design firm as an assistant/project manager/installations technician in the Bay Area/ I have many varied experiences and skills which I can contribute to the overall scope of projects.

I studied architecture for four years, though I don't have a degree. I have worked as an architectural draftsman and interior design installations technician. I am a skilled carpenter and project manager (I have a certificate from a renowned preservation program in Boston). I have also worked as a property manager for class A office space.

I have had a corporate job in technology more recently and am interested in returning to a position in design and construction. I am seeking advise about what kind of company may be receptive to a person with my skills and experience.

Thank you!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sharedvisions in Oklahoma

76 months ago

Have you considered Facilities Management/Coordination? The work isn't as 'creative' as some, though depending on the company it can have it's moments...But requires a good understanding of building technology and construction. It often involves being a liaison between Architects, Designers, Owners, Contractors, the trades... this

Also - smaller architectural firms are often a good fit for those with varied skills who like to wear various hats.

For some other ideas, and more info on Facilities Mgmt if interested go to idmyfuture.com/ and type the word 'Requirements' into the search box...that will point you to some places to explore options.

Best of luck - it sounds like you have a good combination of experience and skills, and you just need to develop a quality resume' and portfolio to showcase them. (there are also a couple of good basic Resume' templates to get you started and a pdf with valuable portfolio tips in the "tool box" - scroll down the right side of the screen to find it.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

lynnelorenz in Templeton, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

Hi! I'm a senior Interior Design major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Upon my graduation in May, I hope to enter the workforce either as an Interior Design or Event Planning Assistant. At this point, I'm more interested in positions that are relatively local (Indiana, Butler, Erie, etc.), but I'm not opposed to relocating to the Virginia Beach area. Any and all networking help would be greatly appreciated :)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

kayleigh in Huntingtown, Maryland

74 months ago

FromInside in Maryland said: I am at the other end of the spectrum on this debate... the Design Business Owner.

I have a team of people including another designer who are working in a new creative way in the field to fill a niche. We are always looking for good people in interior design.

But, a word of advice to people... one thing to add to your resumes. Make sure you have some type of strong, proven sales work that is not of the "pushy", old-fashioned variety. It is a new age. It is a new industry and people expect things to be presented to them in a completely different way now.

If you have something to offer and are located and connected in the Maryland/ Virginia/ DC area, send me your resume. I would love to see it. I can't promise anything, but I do read things sent to me. (except harassment... or constant, constant requests!)

I'm sorry that I can't look at anyone outside the area. Use whatever connections you made in school to network to design people through Social Networking or any other means, is the best advice I can offer. Unfortunately, yes, you do need to be good with connections for this business. It is a people-oriented field. That is part of the job. Facebook is one of the best places to connect. Keep a blog. Make sure you Twitter. And more. I kid you not... it really does count. That's how I find my people.

Thanks and Best of Luck in Your Job Searches!

I graduated in May 09 w/ a BS in ID from University of Tennessee (CIDA accredited). I have attempting to get my foot in the door ever since. I'd like to work in commercial design for an A&D firm in the Virginia/Maryland/DC metro area, but am not ruling any opportunity out. I'd love to send you my resume. Please let me know how to send it!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Beverly in Saratoga Springs, New York

74 months ago

I've recently decided to hire an Assistant for my busy Interior Design business and I am so happy to see this forum. I was worried about finding a quality person, but it seems that there are many qualified people seeking this type of position.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Amesbury, Massachusetts

73 months ago

I got my Associate's degree last year for Interior Design. I am in a very competitive area of New England. I don't have any doubts that I am talented and that something will come along. However, I did see an ad for Lazy Boy furniture hiring someone with a minimum of Bachelor's.....come on really? I know I certainly won't be going to work for them or Home Depot, where they take a cerification and they are customizing people's kitchen's and bath's....scary!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

JL in Tulsa, Oklahoma

73 months ago

With all due respect - why wouldn't you consider a job with Home Depot's kitchen and bath department or similar? I'm not suggesting that you would still choose to hold that position in 5 years, but as an entry-level candidate you could gain a lot of practical real-world knowledge (things you just can't learn in school, with an associate's OR a Bachelor's...). Unless you've worked in a construction or design trade (you may have, but didn't mention it) you might do well to take such a position for a time, and consider it an extension of your education. You can gain some experience (and make a few beginner mistakes - we all do) 'on their dime', and bring an even better employee to your future dream job!

Best of luck in whatever you choose

JL

www.idmyfuture.com

Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Amesbury, Massachusetts

73 months ago

Thanks for the concern about me and Home Depot but there are many, many reasons why I would not go to work for them. I don't think I will get into anymore than that but I did not got to school for two years to learn this stuff so some company that gives 10cent raises per year could use me up that is all, to each their own and yes I do come from a strong construction background. Not to mention a lot of the stuff sold there is junk and I wouldn't even reccomend it to clients, never mind sell it. anyhoo...good luck

Reply - Report abuse

JL in Tulsa, Oklahoma

73 months ago

I wish you all the best in your search
Regards
JL

Reply - Report abuse

Essence in Danbury, Connecticut

71 months ago

onthePOTIdownlow in Aliso Viejo, California said: Kelly - More & more states are passing laws about who can and cannot refer to themself as an interior designer. You will need an education to legally call yourself as a designer.
You might look into online "Redesign" or "Staging" courses that are easy and cheap to take. They require maybe a week-end or a few days to finish. There is much much more to interior design, and interior decorating for that matter, than just being good with color, fabrics and pleasing architechtural elements.
elements.
who ever this person is giving advice, i dont think your being very helpful, it kind of sounds like your just putting everyone down, and telling everyone that they have to go above and beondd and over the top just to call themselves an interior designer.

Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I don't think anyone is trying to put anyone down. Unless you have family and other people in the industry, you have to be at the top of your game to get hired in this economical climate. Many people do not understand that an interior designer's duties overlap with architects and it is important to understand all the industries you work with. The test and experience required to obtain an interior design license deals mainly with safety and code issues in addition to aesthetic elements.

Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Paris, France

71 months ago

No offense....but I don't really think saying you need an education is quite going "above and beondd". Especially when you spell beyond that way.

Reply - Report abuse

FAC in Boston, Massachusetts

71 months ago

Essence in Danbury, Connecticut said: who ever this person is giving advice, i dont think your being very helpful, it kind of sounds like your just putting everyone down, and telling everyone that they have to go above and beondd and over the top just to call themselves an interior designer.

Everyone needs to become very realistic about the interior design profession - it is a designation given to individuals with a degree in interior design and, in many cases, other qualifications. Anyone who does not have a degree and experience, may be a "decorator" but they are not an interior designer.

Reply - Report abuse

ali in Muscat, Oman

66 months ago

Laura in Santa Monica, California said: I have been struggling to find a job in Interior Design. What is the best way for me to go about looking for my dream job? Would it be best for me to start off as an Interior Design Assistant?

I have an interior designing company in Oman and we are looking for a designed if you are intrested let us know

Reply - Report abuse

Sara Valles in Roswell, Georgia

66 months ago

ali in Muscat, Oman said: I have an interior designing company in Oman and we are looking for a designed if you are intrested let us know

I have recently graduated from college with a degree in Interior Design. I have autoCAD knowledge among other necessary software knowledge needed in this industry. I presently live in Georgia, but I am welling to move to obtain full time employment with a reasonable salary. Please contact me at svalles05@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you very soon. Sara Valles.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

ali in Muscat, Oman said: I have an interior designing company in Oman and we are looking for a designed if you are intrested let us know

I graduated with a BFA in interior design a year ago and since then I have been managing a showroom that specializes in sustainable surfaces. I have done a few design and color consultations but most of my days consist of phone calls and paper work. I'm looking for a position focused more on doing actual design work, whether it's preliminary concept work or technical CAD drawings. I am open to relocating with reasonable compensation. Please contact me at ginnyschneider@sbcglobal.net. -Ginny

Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Belgrade, Serbia

65 months ago

Hi ,im from Serbia.I will graduate in september,Interior and Furniture design in Belgrade.I search for job out of my country but i see it's very difficult even for you who grown up,studied and live in there .Especialy for people who dont have any experience.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

I and my other 3 partners own 2 kitchen cabinetry showroom in southern california. One in City of Irvine and one in City of Industry. Currently, we're looking for a showroom customer service with design background. We are specialized in european kitchen & bath design and remodelings. Qualified cadidates, please submit your reseme to cynthia@sohokitchen.net asap. To view the company profile, go www.sohokitchen.net.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Artist in Waterbury, Connecticut

64 months ago

FYI FAC in Boston
neither Jeff Lewis nor the Novagratz nor Vicente Wolf have degrees in interior design. Yet they are extraordinarily successful and well known. Let us not be pretentious with a talent that is both instinctive and developed.

Reply - Report abuse

Darlin in Santa Ana, California

64 months ago

Hi everyone,

I was having a hard time finding a full-time position in the Business Administration field. I had worked in various departments (like customer service, receptionist, accounting/administrative assistant, ect.) and have over 5 years of experience. But that did not help nor all the job fairs or interviews I attended. I have always had a passion for interior design and decided the time was right to enroll in school. I graduated as an Interior Decorator in late 2010 and have had the same luck as most of you regarding interships or jobs. However, I do not loose hope and believe we will be granted a better future. Meanwhile, I will continue my education and if a local Home Depot, or related company is hiring I will be willing to apply in hopes I can learn and grow within this field. Best of luck to all of you and if you have any advice please let me know.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Darlin in Santa Ana, California

64 months ago

FAC in Boston, Massachusetts said: Everyone needs to become very realistic about the interior design profession - it is a designation given to individuals with a degree in interior design and, in many cases, other qualifications. Anyone who does not have a degree and experience, may be a "decorator" but they are not an interior designer.

Not really because even us Interior Decorators attend college to receive the proper education.

Reply - Report abuse

IDAmy in Washington, District of Columbia

63 months ago

FromInside in Maryland said: I am at the other end of the spectrum on this debate... the Design Business Owner.

I have a team of people including another designer who are working in a new creative way in the field to fill a niche. We are always looking for good people in interior design...

"FromInside in Maryland ~ I found your comment very helpful! I am currently an interior design student at the Art Institute of Washington. My background is actually in accounting and business (I already have a bachelors and am a licensed CPA in Alaska). I started taking interior design classes a little over a year ago and really love them. My two main struggles are 1) that I will finish with another bachelors and will have accumulated approximately $65K in school debt, and 2) that it will take me at least 2.5 more years to complete if I keep taking three classes while working full time. From your perspective, is getting the degree really the best course of action or is there an alternative that won't put me deeply in school debt and get me into the trade faster? Since I have foundation courses completed, would it be possible to find an entry level position in the trade and progress from there?

I would love to discuss other interior design and business topics if you have time. You can contact me at amymdobson@gmail.com if you would be able to get together for a formal chat or even something over coffee. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

BigD1026 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

63 months ago

I am a 50 year old former carpenter and residential construction manager. I have been laid off so long that I think it is time to re-invent myself. I want to pursue a career in interior design with a concentration on kitchens and baths. I do retro-fits now on the side but it's usually homeowner directed.(I provide the trade skills) I would love to learn how to do the design assembly and put it together for clients and eventually open a design firm. (if I live long enough lol)Is it unrealistic to consider a career path so lofty for a man my age? I have CAD experience and OJT in structural and architectural design in a residential capacity but no degrees or certs at all, just a diploma and experience in the field of construction.

Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.